Toei's Dragon Ball Kai remaster

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Re: Toei's Dragon Ball Kai remaster

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:15 am

I believe the best result was '' 2 '' with granulation (similar to Level Sets). As stated above, there are 100 frames in 10 minutes. Why don't we build a team and make a decent release? It may take a while, but if we work only with canonical scenes and some fillers, we can go faster.

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:15 am I believe the best result was '' 2 '' with granulation (similar to Level Sets). As stated above, there are 100 frames in 10 minutes. Why don't we build a team and make a decent release? It may take a while, but if we work only with canonical scenes and some fillers, we can go faster.
I agree. Just make it all of the original run of Kai replacing the redrawn scenes and I would be onboard.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm

We have to apply this filter to the redesigned Dragon Box images and correct the colors to make it look more similar. Can you do that? :)

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 pm

I dunno if the 480p Dragon Box would fare better under this filter than the HD Kai footage. Seems like it’s better to take the highest resolution (admittedly for filler scenes this would still be the DBoxes) and go from there.

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:10 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm We have to apply this filter to the redesigned Dragon Box images and correct the colors to make it look more similar. Can you do that? :)
I cannot, but it appears that @sumpter360 can at the very least do the Dbox upscale. As for the color, I have a few ideas and the two best follow the same principle. The first would be to overlay the chroma information from the redrawn scenes onto the luminance of the upscaled footage. The second and likely more effective way would be (albeit controversial for this forum) to get Enigmo to color correct the upscaled or raw footage, then DNR or upscale the artifacts out, then overlay the chroma from that onto the upscaled Dbox image luminance.
sumpter360 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 am EDIT: Found the episode from my Dragon Box Z rips. Here's a framecompare of that Dr. Gero screen (no original Kai frame, though, as I don't have that in my collection):
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/JF2E1NNU
Would you be up for that @sumpter360?

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Jesta' wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:10 pm
ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm We have to apply this filter to the redesigned Dragon Box images and correct the colors to make it look more similar. Can you do that? :)
I cannot, but it appears that @sumpter360 can at the very least do the Dbox upscale. As for the color, I have a few ideas and the two best follow the same principle. The first would be to overlay the chroma information from the redrawn scenes onto the luminance of the upscaled footage. The second and likely more effective way would be (albeit controversial for this forum) to get Enigmo to color correct the upscaled or raw footage, then DNR or upscale the artifacts out, then overlay the chroma from that onto the upscaled Dbox image luminance.
sumpter360 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 am EDIT: Found the episode from my Dragon Box Z rips. Here's a framecompare of that Dr. Gero screen (no original Kai frame, though, as I don't have that in my collection):
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/JF2E1NNU
Would you be up for that @sumpter360?
To be completely honest, I'm still trying to decide if it's worth the MASSIVE amount of time and efforts it takes. If we had a big group of people willing to pull some weight, even then it's a maybe for me, regarding DBZ at least. Of the 3 pre-Kai and Super series, Z is the most likely to receive an official, actually competent HD release. It may be a few years from now, but honestly, so would doing it ourselves via Gigapixel AI.

Right now I'm doing just a few of my favorite episodes of Love Hina. After de-interlacing (something we wouldn't have to do for any of the Dragon Ball series, but still), a 24-minute episode is ~81,000 frames. This ends up being close to 50 hours on my 2080 ti to do the upconversion to 1080p. At best, with a small team of us, it would be well over a year and a half of non-stop work to do all of DBZ.

I'd sooner do GT, considering it's by far the shortest of the series, and probably the least likely to ever see an HD release. Kai is another that I'd consider (those shots seriously look terrific), but I don't own the Blu-rays, so I'd need somebody to loan me those. Plus, quite a few episodes, so I'd prefer having a decent size "team" working on it together. Too big a project for just myself.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm

sumpter360 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:33 pmKai is another that I'd consider (those shots seriously look terrific), but I don't own the Blu-rays, so I'd need somebody to loan me those. Plus, quite a few episodes, so I'd prefer having a decent size "team" working on it together. Too big a project for just myself.
I was suggesting we do Kai! I was only suggesting you upscale the Dbox footage of the redrawn scenes in Kai! Of course, this would only be if there was a large enough group working together. Someone to upscale Kai from 720p, someone to upscale from 1080p, quality control, etc.

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:51 pm

You're out of a job Robo :lol:

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Jesta' wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm
sumpter360 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:33 pmKai is another that I'd consider (those shots seriously look terrific), but I don't own the Blu-rays, so I'd need somebody to loan me those. Plus, quite a few episodes, so I'd prefer having a decent size "team" working on it together. Too big a project for just myself.
I was suggesting we do Kai! I was only suggesting you upscale the Dbox footage of the redrawn scenes in Kai! Of course, this would only be if there was a large enough group working together. Someone to upscale Kai from 720p, someone to upscale from 1080p, quality control, etc.
Ah, I see. Sorry about that. That sounds more doable from the perspective of AI Upscaling. The hardest part about doing some sort of hybrid Kai, but with Z "un-redrawn" scenes is that I believe the timing isn't always comparable between Kai and Z. That said, though, I would be willing to help out with those. Just give me episode number and the timestamps for the scenes that you need.

As for the upscaling, the program will work best upscaling in one go, rather than 720 up to 1080, then again up from there. The Kai series would benefit most from going from 1080p files pulled directly from the Blu-ray, then just upscale those to 4K.

I would also request that for the Kai Upscaling, we consider turning Noise Smoothing off completely. Kai's remaster did enough DNR. We don't need to add another layer of it via Gigapixel.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:10 pm

sumpter360 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:52 pmAs for the upscaling, the program will work best upscaling in one go, rather than 720 up to 1080, then again up from there. The Kai series would benefit most from going from 1080p files pulled directly from the Blu-ray, then just upscale those to 4K.
That isn't always the case, as sometimes the upscaler performs better with lower quality images. Two separate runs cobbled together would probably yield better results.
sumpter360 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:52 pmI would also request that for the Kai Upscaling, we consider turning Noise Smoothing off completely. Kai's remaster did enough DNR. We don't need to add another layer of it via Gigapixel.
The issue here is that while it might look better without DNR on some shots others have horrible artifacts due to the upscaler taking the noise as genuine detail. Those Bulma and Vegeta images Robo pointed out.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Jesta' wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm
I'm currently working on fixing the redrawn scenes. I'm 75 episodes in and should be done in less than a week in the rate I'm going (though that's mostly because the android saga has significantly less redrawn scenes than in the namek saga, particularly when compared to the last third of the saga when the frieza fights starts)

I won't use upscaling on the kai footage, though I might try and upscale the DBOX footage a bit to match kai's.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 pm

I would like to see this project. Can you send me the link?

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:15 pm

I think we should work with Dragon Ball Kai is the best product the series has, as well as being 90% manga-compliant. Regarding the redesigned scenes, we could follow Jesta's first tip. We have to look for people who can help.

Lately Dragon Ball GT has been forgotten by me. But, it is a very beautiful series visually, it may be a second option. Do you know anyone else who can help?

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:52 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:15 pm Do you know anyone else who can help?
I suppose I could make a post on the Fan Created Works forum.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:21 am

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 pm I would like to see this project. Can you send me the link?
I haven't made a post about the project yet, I'm planning to once I'm finished, however I still have a lot to do after I'm done with the redrawn scenes. I'm gonna add the option to switch between kikuchi yamamoto/sumitomo and the faulconer score, as well as one that combines these together for those who don't want to watch multiple times to enjoy each soundtrack. I'm also pretty garbage with color correction, but I'm fairly certain someone's gonna color correct the entirety of the dragon box soon so I figured I could just wait for that to happen first.

Peenoisedbfanboi

Post by Peenoisedbfanboi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 am

Found this in a random anime website way back then

https://ibb.co/4V2JKDY
Hindi kita mapa-patawad sa ginawa mong ito, FREEZAAAAA

Spadexxione

Post by Spadexxione » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:50 am

Peenoisedbfanboi wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 am Found this in a random anime website way back then

https://ibb.co/4V2JKDY
Looks like an upscale

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 am

A very good upscale