"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo_Daima
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Piccolo_Daima » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:15 am

It's always great to see Piccolo kicking assess, I hope in the next chapters we'll see more of him

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:09 am
PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm For a story arc that people seem pretty convinced Toriyama has little involvement in, Toriyama's favorite character sure did just get added to the story semi-randomly.
It's not really random at all. With the Namekians being wiped out and Moro's gang setting their eyes on Earth it makes sense Piccolo'd get a little bit of focus. Gohan &co will surely get added too in the following chapters. My guess is it's the old formula of the side characters facing off against the antagonist while Goku trains and then will appear with an awesome new power at the end (with Vegeta thrown in the mix somehow) I mean I hope not, since ROF did the exact same thing, but that's what I suspecting for now.
Why would you hope against that? That means the side characters get to do something.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Saiga wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 am
Michsi wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:09 am
PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm For a story arc that people seem pretty convinced Toriyama has little involvement in, Toriyama's favorite character sure did just get added to the story semi-randomly.
It's not really random at all. With the Namekians being wiped out and Moro's gang setting their eyes on Earth it makes sense Piccolo'd get a little bit of focus. Gohan &co will surely get added too in the following chapters. My guess is it's the old formula of the side characters facing off against the antagonist while Goku trains and then will appear with an awesome new power at the end (with Vegeta thrown in the mix somehow) I mean I hope not, since ROF did the exact same thing, but that's what I suspecting for now.
Why would you hope against that? That means the side characters get to do something.
Because I'd love to see side characters get to do something without the author resorting to that formula.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:53 pm

It's possible. However the only official claim we have on Toriyama's involvement is from Toyotaro himself. Where he says they are "teaming up" on this arc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Merus was created by Toriyama. He does have his classic vibe to him.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Hopefully we get a Toyotaro interview soon and he mentions the use of Dragon Ball Online's Yadorats. And if we could see/expect more stuff from there... :angel:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

infermon

Post by infermon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:09 pm

I see people derogatorily comparing a hypothetical fight between the Earth fighters and Moro's scouting party to Resurrection F and how insubstantial the fight between Gohan and co. and Freeza's army was, and while it's probably foolhardy to argue for or against a fight that hasn't happened yet and may not happen at all... I think this arc has laid the foundation for such a confrontation being much more substantial, should it happen.

We've already seen Goku and Vegeta get overwhelmed by Moro's goons before, thanks to a mixture of him gifting them power and passively sapping the Saiyans' energy. I assume the scouting party will arrive, call for Moro to join them, and then the hypothetical fight between Piccolo and co. and the goons happens with the ticking clock of Moro's arrival looming overhead. That adds stakes - should the Earth fighters not dispatch of the minions in time, then things'll be that much harder for Goku and Vegeta against Moro. That's already a world of difference from Resurrection F, in which Freeza actively states "yeah, Gohan alone could mop the floor with all these guys", rendering the whole affair a fun but pointless distraction.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly love for the supporting cast to play more of an active role in this arc, or in the fight against Moro, than just appetiser fights before Goku and Vegeta show up. But at the very least, this arc's already established it could very well offer a more interesting take on the formula than prior ones.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:19 am

Regarding the new Yardrat's design, I get the feeling that this new version came from Toriyama and Toyotaro tried to incorporate the old design with the forced argument that "they come in multiple types". If that's the case, I'd rather that they just ignore the old one completely...

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:21 am

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. For there to be multiple types of looking individuals of a single race of people shouldn't be anything surprising, really. On Earth we see that there are anthropomorphic animals living alongside demon mixed people and regular human looking persons. Sure, most planets have a homogenous structure, though that doesn't have to be the case for all races across the Universe.

Smart of Toyotaro to just use both so that people won't claim anything to be rEtConNeD.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am

I agree with the sentiment that I hope that Vegeta's training leads to some new/exciting technique or transformation and not just multiform/growing big or small.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:45 pm

I wanted to get everyones thoughts on something. My apologies if someone else brought this up, but I thought of a possible, or even potentially cool connection.

So everyone knows that the Room of Spirit and Time has been around since its introduction many years ago. But is there, or has there always been a connection with the ROSAT all this time? Or is it a coincidence that when Vegeta is introduced with this "Spirit" concept that Goku is also training in Merus's ROSAT? Now I know that the Manga said that essentially Spirit = Ki.

room of SPIRIT and time and Spirit control, connection or not? Thoughts?
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm

I don't believe that there is anything ESPECIALLY connected, however given that the Room of Spirit and TIme is supposed to have its own time dilation, it is supposed to give the user(s) an incentive to focus on themselves mentally and spiritually. A way for them to better master their Ki instead of just boosting their own strength.

Perfect example is when Son Goku and Gohan used the Room of Spirit and Time. Goku used it for the perfect reason: Mastering Super Saiyan. When it comes to Mastering Super Saiyan, he has to tolerate the initial restrictions that are bestowed onto him because of the insane fiery ki that comes with such a transformation. Over time as he uses the chamber, he focuses on his ki control as well as tolerance and thus, manages to master Super Saiyan. Solely doing that has allowed him to be able to train more efficiently and get a much better training boost than Vegeta and Trunks, who didn't focus on their ki mastery as they merely concentrated on getting stronger.

But I could be reaching...just my two cents.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 pm

Crazy Idea but with Vegeta learning Spirit I wonder if he'll be able to conduct a out of body experience type battle with Moro or at least be able to attack Moro without him knowing what's up

Vegeta could just induce himself in Astral Projection and Moro would just be questioning what's wrong with him just standing there but he keeps getting hit from behind and stuff like that by Vegeta in Astral Project Mode

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 am

I really like the direction the story is going, hopefully this will lead to a Galactic Patrol spin off with the Z fighters as members... maybe Galactic Patrol Z?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 am

Not that more evidence was needed, but since I've only seen animation screenshots, here's Whis doing the pose and the hand funnel in Toyo's RoF manga:

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 am

Neat. Merus used Goku's own momentum against him just as Whis did.

Toyo loves making references; all the more reason to believe Merus has some connection to the higher ups of the Dragon Ball Universe

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:35 am

Yasai9001 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 am Neat. Merus used Goku's own momentum against him just as Whis did.

Toyo loves making references; all the more reason to believe Merus has some connection to the higher ups of the Dragon Ball Universe
This is definitely a reach but what if hes an angel from one of the other 6 universes?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Or what if Merus himself trained under Whis too?

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:17 pm

This is definitely a reach but what if hes an angel from one of the other 6 universes?
That would explain why he's making a nice bit of effort into keeping a low profile. For an angel who is without their Hakaishin should remain inactive, meaning that they pretty much don't do anything until they find another Hakaishin. For (hypothetically speaking) Merus to travel to another Universe with a low mortal level and to help in small ways would be a fine reason imo. It's not that much of a reach. The hints are just far too much at this point.

Either that or he's one of Whis' personal students. That's all I can think of at this point.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:47 am

Yasai9001 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:17 pm
That would explain why he's making a nice bit of effort into keeping a low profile. For an angel who is without their Hakaishin should remain inactive, meaning that they pretty much don't do anything until they find another Hakaishin. For (hypothetically speaking) Merus to travel to another Universe with a low mortal level and to help in small ways would be a fine reason imo. It's not that much of a reach. The hints are just far too much at this point.

Either that or he's one of Whis' personal students. That's all I can think of at this point.
The idea that he's from one of the 6 universes has been thrown around a bit recently, and it does seem to have some foundation. Also, Angels go inactive when the GoD is killed, but when the entire universe is destroyed they still seem to function. The ToP showed this.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:01 am

After all the theories I have heard, and despite me wanting this extra new ideas for Dragon Ball, the Fallen Angels and stuff sound waaaaaay too much like pulled straight out of a fan manga.

I want Merus to be someone new, with a story of his own (yes, a connection to Moro, but also something about him too) or if it comes to angels and stuff, I daresay that him being the Grand Priest would make far more sense to me.

He did say that he wanted to visit U7 at some point.... Some food for thought there.

P.S. Imagine him retaining an alter ego personality as a member of the patrol like Gohan does with the Great Saiyaman! That would be quite the plot point! Such an important deity being tires of the same things, seeking some action. Not too different from Goku actually. Come how he has a liking in the Saiyan too.
P O W E R