Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:58 pm
Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
Making divisive political observations isn’t going to endear anyone you disagree with to your point of view. The disgraceful stunt that was pulled against Justice Kavenaugh and other false sexual assault allegations have unfortunately put the real victims of these egregious crimes in a rock and a hard place. That’s the world we live in. I believe in due process and the notion of innocent-until-proven-guilty.
Ignoring the allegations against Kavanaugh--not that we should--the mainstream media and Democrats entirely failed to attack him on his horrendous policy positions, which instantly disqualify him for any position of power. They intentionally soft-balled him into the Supreme Court and we need to keep that in mind when discussing his reputation.
I am also opposed to 8000 Saiyan's line of thinking. Sexism & assault aren't evils that belong only to one political party or another. Bill Clinton, for example, was rotten in his treatment of women, just like Trump. Crimes against women aren't just going to go away the moment everyone votes Democrat :P .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Yeah, I can't name a US president that didn't deserve to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Goddamn, I hope Bernie breaks that.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:36 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am
It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
That's because Alt-Righters feel like that they need to defend anyone who is a straight white christian republican male. If he was a democrat and not straight, they probably won't care about him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm Yeah, I can't name a US president that didn't deserve to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Goddamn, I hope Bernie breaks that.
Is the guy doing that well, right now? From what I understand, he's kind of getting sabotaged this time, too. Biden seems to be the guy the Democrats are rallying around, despite him saying stuff like this...

"In prison the determination should be that your sexual identity is defined by what you say it is not what in fact the prison says it is."
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Every presidential election I've ever lived through has been a choice between the lesser of two (or more) evils. That's not going to change any time soon.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:46 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm Yeah, I can't name a US president that didn't deserve to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Goddamn, I hope Bernie breaks that.
Is the guy doing that well, right now? From what I understand, he's kind of getting sabotaged this time, too. Biden seems to be the guy the Democrats are rallying around, despite him saying stuff like this...

"In prison the determination should be that your sexual identity is defined by what you say it is not what in fact the prison says it is."
He's definitely being stabbed in the back by the DNC and the mainstream media but he's also got the most stability, the largest organization, and the most diverse influence among the various demographics. Warren has definitely morphed into Clinton 2.0 with her false plays on identity politics, reassuring the establishment, and he compromise-from-the-start policy proposals. Warren might look like a progressive at first--but that's only because Bernie is the only lefty in the race. Still, polls indicate that Bernie and Biden--oddly enough--share crossover voters, so once Handsy Uncle Joseph is out of the race Bernie will take his people. I definitely think that the primary will come down to Sanders v. Warren and so long as Sanders isn't sentimental and holds back against Warren he'll win. Sanders is the only candidate throughout this entire election--with perhaps the except of Richard O'jeda--that can defeat Trump. If the DNC weren't a bunch of corrupt corporate cock-sucking man-babies and stopped trying to sabotage Sanders they could actually defeat Trump. Of course, as much as they hate Trump the personality they love Trump the Policy Maker.

Bernie's coalition is tremendously bigger this time around so I definitely have a solid gut feeling that he will win the primary so long as we don't stop fighting.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 pm

It’s weird to be talking about presidential candidates on a Dragon Ball forum, but I will say that Elizabeth Warren seems to be a rising star among the DNC.

As a side note, I don’t think it’s the best idea to link to what might be considered a transphobic tweet by an account called “TrumpSoldier” to make a point about Biden being a bad candidate. There are plenty of other reasons why he can be considered a lousy candidate. For one, he’s also been known to be touchy feely with people, just like Vic Mignogna. Of course, he’s not a Republican/“devout” Christian, so he doesn’t get a pass for that with the ISWV crowd.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 pm

It’s weird to be talking about presidential candidates on a Dragon Ball forum, but I will say that Elizabeth Warren seems to be a rising star among the DNC.

As a side note, I don’t think it’s the best idea to link to what might be considered a transphobic tweet by an account called “TrumpSoldier” to make a point about Biden being a bad candidate. There are plenty of other reasons why he can be considered a lousy candidate. For one, he’s also been known to be touchy feely with people, just like Vic Mignogna. Of course, he’s not a Republican/“devout” Christian, so he doesn’t get a pass for that with the ISWV crowd.
Seconded, as i have mentioned previously (including this thread a few times before) this really isn't the place to be having debates and disagreements over political things such as the election which is still over a year away and the policies of the president. There are plenty of other places online that are much more suited to that purpose and it really isn't all that relevant to this specific topic and in effect the forum as a whole.

My point is, we need to try and have things not constantly go off course on topics where it really isn't even relevant to the greater purpose of this forum and the site.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:58 am

It's definitely weird for discourse about social and political issues to take off here, but I think it's a good thing. While this is a forum for Dragon Ball and keeping discussions from derailing is simply good moderation, if you were to ban political discussion (like for example Sonic Retro, another forum I frequent) you would not only run into the all-too-common "opinions are just opinions and people aren't bad just because they disagree" (a completely hollow statement when human rights are at the forefront of political discourse, which only benefits people with horrible disgusting views of most minorities), but you would get a very potentially disturbing idea of what does and doesn't count as "political" by the people in charge.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:03 am

Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
Making divisive political observations isn’t going to endear anyone you disagree with to your point of view. The disgraceful stunt that was pulled against Justice Kavenaugh and other false sexual assault allegations have unfortunately put the real victims of these egregious crimes in a rock and a hard place. That’s the world we live in. I believe in due process and the notion of innocent-until-proven-guilty. Admittedly, I was at first skeptical of the Vic Mignogna allegations. After seeing this all play out, I’ve come to accept that many of the accusations likely are true. My initial skepticism wasn’t because of some right-wing conspiracy I imagined or prescribed to on the Internet. It’s just that I could see how an older, touchy-feely kind of guy like Vic could inadvertently make some people uncomfortable, especially in today’s age. I needed some extra convincing that Vic truly did do outright creepy things that he should have known better not to do.

For that matter, I still don’t know with 100% certainty that Vic is a pedophilic sleaze-ball, and I frankly don’t ever lose any sleep over it. If there’s substantive evidence that he’s a liability then I can’t fault FUNimation or other companies for turning him down for roles. That’s not to say that I can’t enjoy Vic’s previous work, however. He’s a terrific voice actor and his performance as Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite of any anime dub. So many people in Hollywood and the entertainment industry have done far worse than Vic is even accused of doing. When it comes to entertainment, sometimes you have to turn your brain off and enjoy the show. I don’t mean we shouldn’t hold people accountable or judge unacceptable behavior in pop culture—just saying that we can appreciate their work. And whenever you’re dealing with artists and performers, you’ll always have to deal with people who are fans of their work being in denial when they’re accused of wrongdoing.

Also, as long as no one is insulting you or calling you stupid for your opinion, no matter which side of the fence you’re on, perhaps you should stop caring so much about what they think? If you think Vic is a saint, you’re probably very misguided, but that’s you. Just don’t get hyper defensive and lash out at those who’ve looked at the evidence and decided otherwise. Conversely, if you think Vic is an absolute villain, that’s fine too. But no need to attack people who don’t agree with you or make assumptions about their politics.
I wasn't even attacking anyone, I was just making observations that it seems to be the case although there are some Vic stans who don't support that sorry excuse of a president.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 am

Is this the Vic thread of the US goverment conspiracy thread. I swear every couple pages this topic breaks down into this president is a bad guy\lessor of two evils or this party is supporting one nom over the other.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 am

i mean, it's very much a topic that lends into this kinda stuff, it's not like this is happening in a innocuous thread about the difference of censorship in viz releases. sexually assault and this kinda stuff are social political issues so it makes sense that other political issues discussions are gonna happen in this thread.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Basically, this is stuff that cuts straight to the heart. Sexual assault, gender equality, all that stuff... People hope they can get the right people into office. They hope for politicians that'll fight these evils the same way they did against slavery.

So, they spend a lot of time thinking about it. Me, I'm skeptical that the government can ever "regulate" an evil seated that deep in the human heart... But, it never hurts to have hope. Like Soppa says, sexual assault certainly lends itself to political discussion.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Isn’t tomorrow the deadline for the mediation that the judge ordered?

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:35 pm Isn’t tomorrow the deadline for the mediation that the judge ordered?
The mediation in question went down today, but I believe the due date was Friday.

Apparently Screech confirmed things ended at an impasse; in other words, no settlement.

Friday will be...interesting.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm

The decision came down a few minutes ago. All of the remaining claims were dismissed. And as a little extra icing on the cake, Screech got himself suspended from Twitter after a meltdown yesterday.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 5159209984

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm The decision came down a few minutes ago. All of the remaining claims were dismissed. And as a little extra icing on the cake, Screech got himself suspended from Twitter after a meltdown yesterday.

Fully deserved. I hated his performance as Broly and Edward Elric, so for me anyone else will always be a better replacement.
This should have already happened 10 or 15 years ago.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Can someone please 'shop Vic's head into this

Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Beard just posted ‘Halftime’.

https://twitter.com/tybeard10/status/11 ... 30145?s=21

Dude, you lost. Just stop.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm
BlueBasilisk wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm The decision came down a few minutes ago. All of the remaining claims were dismissed. And as a little extra icing on the cake, Screech got himself suspended from Twitter after a meltdown yesterday.

Fully deserved. I hated his performance as Broly and Edward Elric, so for me anyone else will always be a better replacement.
This should have already happened 10 or 15 years ago.
I don’t really see what was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s Broly, but I’m past the point of feeling bad for him, so I won’t be losing sleep over him not voicing the character anymore.