Idea for my OC

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Idea for my OC

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:43 pm

What if there was another group of Saiyans who survived the destruction of Planet Sadala and settled on a world other than Planet Vegeta?

That is how my OC Karot comes into the picture. He was born on a planet called New Sadala that was founded by another group of Saiyans who survived the destruction of Planet Sadala.
Last edited by Hulk10 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Thoughts about Saiyan survivals of Sadala's destruction

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Is this the premise for a fanfic? Because otherwise, why is it in this section?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Idea for my OC

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:29 pm

I changed around so it does fit, but this is a place for fans to present their creative works and I created a new planet.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am

I feel like Saiyan characters and even lone fighters in general are overdone and cliche as OCs go these days. I mean, there isn't a lot to go off of anyway but it still feels boring. The best new ideas for characters are ones with very specific gimmicks that change the nature of an actual battle, that also tie into their personality and backstory somehow. Part of the reason modern Dragon Ball doesn't meet the level of quality that the original manga did is that it does not evolve at all. Oh sure, you may see better or worse variants on things that have already been done. Ultra Instinct is a unique way of doing the same fights we've already seen a hundred times, but it is not, in fact, a new form of battle between characters.

If you want to make new saiyan characters good, you have to take them as far away from what people expect from saiyans as possible. That doesn't necessarily mean docile, but it means you have to be unique. We've seen saiyans that survived the destruction of X planet. We've seen saiyans that are raised to be good, raised to be weapons, raised to not know they're saiyans. What we have not seen is a saiyan whose battle instinct pressured them to be the fastest Doom speedrunner in the world. A saiyan who got a zenkai boost from surviving terminal illness. One who has control over the oozaru transformation but just uses it to fuck with people or maybe steal shit? Or one who unlocked his transformation out of anger that he got rejected romantically (well, Vegeta kinda).

Those aren't all good ideas necessarily, but they're different, fundamentally different in such a manner that they can't exist as a direct expy to any existing saiyan. This kind of "a mysterious saiyan who survived the destruction of his planet and shows incredible fighting potential" shtick, it's played out. An arc focusing on how sadala society differs from Vegeta's isn't a terrible idea, but that's because of it's effect on the characters we already know.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am I feel like Saiyan characters and even lone fighters in general are overdone and cliche as OCs go these days. I mean, there isn't a lot to go off of anyway but it still feels boring. The best new ideas for characters are ones with very specific gimmicks that change the nature of an actual battle, that also tie into their personality and backstory somehow. Part of the reason modern Dragon Ball doesn't meet the level of quality that the original manga did is that it does not evolve at all.
You realize that you just described Moro, who was created for modern Dragonball?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:07 pm

My Saiyan does have control over his Great Ape form. But Zenkai's don't occur when you survive a fatal illness so when you create Saiyan characters you need to keep certain things in mind. Like what they are, what they can and can't do. If that makes people think they are cliche then that's ok, thats their opinion.

But I like to stay true to the Saiyan's nature, their depiction as a warrior race. But one that has shrugged off the stigma of evil they have.

As for my OC Karot, well he is unique in his own way. Karot was born with a power level of 10,000 and he was allowed to socialize with the elite Saiyans and Saiyan royalty. He achieved Super Saiyan at 10. He is friendly and mature as well as kind. But he has an aggressive streak and loves to fight. But unlike Kakarot and Vegeta he is not totally obsessed with training. He understands that training, all day everyday isn't necessarily the best way to boost one's power. He is willing to wait for his body to completely heal before he starts training again. He is also an interplanetary explorer, who likes to learn about the varies species of animals on the different planets. So fighting isn't his only interest.

The Saiyans that colonize the new planet I mentioned were mostly gentle natured and as time went on their power developed and other races eventually joined them and they worked together to promote their survival. This included tech that allowed them to escape the notice of the Frieza Force and Beerus since he naps a lot.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:12 pm You realize that you just described Moro, who was created for modern Dragonball?
What about Moro's powers are actually unique or interesting? He can attack you with energy inside a planet. Okay...so what? Every relevant character is strong enough to destroy planets themselves if they want to. They don't even really dodge them any different than they would a ki blast, what difference does it make?

He can remove a person's ki, but nobody has actually properly had to fight in that condition. An instant win button isn't a meaningful extension or subversion of Dragon Ball's mechanics, it's a get out of jail free card.

The closest extrapolation you could pull from these is say, taking away everyone's ki and forcing them to fight smarter in such a manner that they have to rethink the nature of battle itself. Or maybe controlling the planet from afar and attacking the heroes, making the challenge being finding Moro before either Goku or the planet he's on are destroyed. Kind of like a lot of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure battles.

On top of that, his personality is totally generic and flat. No real backstory to speak of, not much reasoning as to why he does the things he does, and no real attributes that other villains haven't done better.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Its a pity that Broly doesn't have a tail anymore and there are no other Saiyans as far as we know. Otherwise I might not be so focused on my Saiyan Oc.