Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:46 am

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489899329

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xvILg8mYgI

This is genuinely terrifying. I know people are sick of Me Too threads but this is something that needs to be discussed. Plus she even mentions how much Shuky took the credit for the music he didnt even write.

EDIT: I gotta warn everyone. This video is not for the faint of heart and not kidsafe or SFW. Be careful when you watch.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:32 am

You might want to put an alternative link there, considering that Twitch VODs have a tendency of auto deleting.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:48 am

Thanks Danfun, noted and added.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 am

It's crazy how the people behind the English dub for Dragon Ball often turned out to be such disturbed individuals.

First we have Bruce Falconer the credit-stealing hack.

Then we have Sean Schemmel and his hilariously fragile ego.

Vic Mignogna and his fiendish ways.

Now the composer for the Ocean dub is supposedly an attempted murderer?!

What's next... Christopher Sabat being the leader of a sex cult?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:45 am

Damn, I grew up watching Brown on General Hospital. What a weird turn of events.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:10 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 am It's crazy how the people behind the English dub for Dragon Ball often turned out to be such disturbed individuals.

Bruce Faulconer being an obnoxious talentless butthurt hack and Sean Schemmel being a douche doesn’t really make them disturbed.

. Ron Wasserman did the actual music for the pre-in house Funi dub. I don’t even think Shuki Levy had any actual involvement with the Dragon Ball Z dub.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:28 pm

What can you do but sigh?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Levy was credited and had some degree of limited involvement, but if i read correctly he was not actually directly involved with scoring the '96 DBZ dub as that was mostly all Ron Wasserman. But still this is just so shocking to hear given the amount of musical scoring work he's done on animated shows over the past thirty some odd years, and i guess we'll be hearing more to come since apparently this story seems to have just broke.

Man, it sends chills down my back to think...the guy behind the scores of X-Men Adventures, Inspector Gadget and Power Rangers may have possibly tried to kill someone. :o
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:48 pm

For those who don't know, Sarah Brown is Levy's ex-wife.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:03 pm

To clear some things up, here's my understanding of Levy's "Composer" status:

Levy was Saban's in-house composer, but most of Saban's scoring/rescoring was handled by independent contractors such as Ron Wasserman. As a part of their contract, Shuki Levy would be credited as the main composer. As I recall, it's generally thought that the main reason behind this was that Saban would then be able to keep their contracted composers seemingly "In-house at Saban" without actually hiring those composers, and Levy would rack up credits.
In truth, Levy doesn't seem to have been involved in Dragon Ball's scoring at all; Ron Wasserman was responsible for all of the music in the Saban dub. He even tried to reach out to Funi back in '99 to express interest in resuming his duties, but he only heard about the continuation of the run when everyone else did, by which point Faulconer had likely already been hired and/or Wasserman's name wasn't known, therefore wasn't paid attention to by Funi's staff.

Largely immaterial to the matter at hand, but relevant to know before anyone goes saying that people involved in Dragon Ball's English dubbing all seem to be evil. ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Even poor Sarah Brown knows that she's not an anime fan. She loves the fans though.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:10 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 am It's crazy how the people behind the English dub for Dragon Ball often turned out to be such disturbed individuals.

Bruce Faulconer being an obnoxious talentless butthurt hack and Sean Schemmel being a douche doesn’t really make them disturbed.

. Ron Wasserman did the actual music for the pre-in house Funi dub. I don’t even think Shuki Levy had any actual involvement with the Dragon Ball Z dub.
He might have written Rock the Dragon, it's never been confirmed who composed that, unlike with the background music, which Wasserman has gone on the record as saying he did. Either way, he's the one who is listed in the credits as composer for the first two seasons, so he'll always be tied to the show, whether or not he actually contributed anything.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:48 pm For those who don't know, Sarah Brown is Levy's ex-wife.
From I can tell, they were engaged and had a child together, but never actually tied the knot.

This post over at Rangerboard breaks down the first 50 or minutes of what Sarah said in the interview, FYI.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Holy forkin' shirtballs!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 pm

This guy makes Vic Mignogna, Scott Freeman, and Illich Guardiola look like saints by comparison. :sick:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 pm Illich Guardiola look like saints by comparison. :sick:
Never even heard of this guy until I looked him up.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:06 pm

That's uh...yikes.

I don't see this as another Vic Mignogna deal, to be honest. The reason people stood behind him was a combination of wanting to "protect" something they liked regardless of their actions and wanting what he did to be tolerated as a means of consolidating and maintaining power. Both of these come from basically wanting what did to be okay. Levy, besides being unknown to most fans and mostly uninvolved with the series, is being accused of attempted murder. Nobody wants that to be okay.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:21 pm

^Unknown to Dragon Ball fans, but still a big name for animation nonetheless. I can't see this not getting noticed. The only people who would defend this are those who'd claim it's all fabricated.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:06 pmI don't see this as another Vic Mignogna deal, to be honest. The reason people stood behind him was a combination of wanting to "protect" something they liked regardless of their actions and wanting what he did to be tolerated as a means of consolidating and maintaining power.
A lot were also gullible kids, or people too traumatized by their own false accusations to see things for how they were.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:31 pm

well sexually assault has also just been more of a controversial topic politically over the past decade, so naturally the vic stuff attracted a lot of people who automatically sided with vic to own the sjw's or whatever. attempted murder is uh, yeah, not a hot topic, everyone knows it's bad and you aren't gonna see a lot of people try and defend it.

but yeah this is legit like crazy, what the fuck dude.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸