Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Scavenger wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 am
KBABZ wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:16 am Not entirely related to the discussion at hand, but I just found out that the Teen Titans Season 1 Blu-Ray that was released a few years ago was cropped to widescreen. WTF?!
Not cropped. It was animated in widescreen, but cropped to 4:3 for broadcast. Transformers Animated befell the same fate.
Wait REALLY?! I had no idea!! Guess I gotta make my Blu-Ray collection that little bit wider, haha.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:28 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am
Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:11 pm One Piece HAS been released on BR in Japan, hasn't it? After episode 206, they started producing the show in HD, so all they have to do is author BR discs. I don't know if they've released the first 206 episodes on BR, but I can't imagine that'd be hard to do.
Yeah, they started animating in HD from 207, but only started releasing Blu-rays from 575 and only release the Log Collection bundles on DVD. They even have an official upscale of 1-206 (which is on Crunchyroll and wouldn't you know it, is cropped to widescreen). I think it's safe to say that, from Avex/Toei's POV, the Blu-rays for the series aren't as important as the DVDs. If they won't bother putting out episodes from an ongoing series with ready-to-go HD masters then that doesn't bode well for a Dragon Ball remaster.
If TOEI aren't bothered remastering the early episodes of One Piece I wish they would at least put out the whole thing on SD Blu-Ray whenever it ends. It's a foregone conclusion by now that any Complete Series set for One Piece would have to be a monstrously big box set. Although not being as big a fan of One Piece as I am of Dragon Ball I could live with lower picture quality if it meant more episodes per disc and shelf friendly.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 pm

I fear that physical releases will be very rare by the time One Piece ends. It probably be a empty box with a digital code in it. But you are right there is nothing stopping them from doing a sd on hd release of the early episodes. Back on topic I still think there is chance to get a dragonbox port for db and gt. Maybe as a limited release you never know.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 pm I fear that physical releases will be very rare by the time One Piece ends. It probably be a empty box with a digital code in it. But you are right there is nothing stopping them from doing a sd on hd release of the early episodes. Back on topic I still think there is chance to get a dragonbox port for db and gt. Maybe as a limited release you never know.
I have a feeling we will get another release of the Z movies before Db and GT see anything.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:28 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 pm
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 pm I fear that physical releases will be very rare by the time One Piece ends. It probably be a empty box with a digital code in it. But you are right there is nothing stopping them from doing a sd on hd release of the early episodes. Back on topic I still think there is chance to get a dragonbox port for db and gt. Maybe as a limited release you never know.
I have a feeling we will get another release of the Z movies before Db and GT see anything.
Almost certainly. Who wants to see character development and risk-taking story arcs anyhow???

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:28 pm Almost certainly. Who wants to see character development and risk-taking story arcs anyhow???
Well, GT suffered from problems a lot of the first 13 Z movies suffered from, which is repeating stuff from Z & trying to mix them up a bit to make new villains & stories, but aren't usually that good due to a lack of creativity, & it suffered from Toriyama not at least serving as a producer or scenario writer like he was on Super (which, even though that show has problems, it at least does a lot of new things).
However, I agree on DB. It has a lot of great character development & moments that get consistently overlooked by the wider Western fanbase.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 amHowever, I agree on DB. It has a lot of great character development & moments that get consistently overlooked by the wider Western fanbase.
Sadly it seems that even in Japan original DB is being largely forgotten about since Kai jumped straight to Raditz and Selecta Vision apparently had to demand better masters from TOEI. Even the movie Blu-Rays releasing Z first shows a lack of confidence in the 4 DB movies standing on their own
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 amHowever, I agree on DB. It has a lot of great character development & moments that get consistently overlooked by the wider Western fanbase.
Sadly it seems that even in Japan original DB is being largely forgotten about since Kai jumped straight to Raditz and Selecta Vision apparently had to demand better masters from TOEI. Even the movie Blu-Rays releasing Z first shows a lack of confidence in the 4 DB movies standing on their own
I agree in terms of Kai existing in the first place (much like how this 30th anniversary is MUCH more focused on Z than the part of the story that actually BEGAN in 1989), but in terms of how it's constructed I actually disagree. The first episode of Kai starts off with a really well-done recap of the early story regarding what you need to know going into the Saiyan arc, for example. Plus it doesn't shy away from referencing things that happened back then with little context, for example when Goku realizes it was him who destroyed the Tournament grounds at the 21st TB, or when Gero goes into his flashback to OG DB battles. Kai does stand alone but it isn't self-contained as much as people think it is.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:45 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am
I agree in terms of Kai existing in the first place (much like how this 30th anniversary is MUCH more focused on Z than the part of the story that actually BEGAN in 1989), but in terms of how it's constructed I actually disagree. The first episode of Kai starts off with a really well-done recap of the early story regarding what you need to know going into the Saiyan arc, for example. Plus it doesn't shy away from referencing things that happened back then with little context, for example when Goku realizes it was him who destroyed the Tournament grounds at the 21st TB, or when Gero goes into his flashback to OG DB battles. Kai does stand alone but it isn't self-contained as much as people think it is.
it does kinda bother me though that the recap didn't mention the red ribbon army in any way, other than though it was a pretty good recap.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am

armyandstuff wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am it does kinda bother me though that the recap didn't mention the red ribbon army in any way, other than though it was a pretty good recap.
Agreed, but I think the semi-nebulous nature of the show's development meant that they probably weren't sure they'd make it as far as the Red Ribbon arc. A proper transcript of Roshi's flashback would have gone a long way, but at the same time outside of the first episode Kai assumes you're familiar with what happened in Dragon Ball (and if anything, the fact that the audience missed a really important part of Goku's life should motivate them to go back and watch the damned thing).

Ultimately the Red Ribbon aspect is in no way pivotal to the Android/Cell arc's story, especially after Gero is killed and his legacy becomes more important by comparison. With the Saiyan arc however you need to establish that Goku met good friends, but more importantly it sets up that Piccolo is not just a villain, but a very personal villain for Goku who has not yet shown any hint of goodness within him (which will change in the next two arcs).

(as well the recap also puts it into the viewers heads that there is a lot that they missed out on that will go totally unexplained, like Korin, Kami, Yajirobe and more)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:45 am I agree in terms of Kai existing in the first place (much like how this 30th anniversary is MUCH more focused on Z than the part of the story that actually BEGAN in 1989), but in terms of how it's constructed I actually disagree. The first episode of Kai starts off with a really well-done recap of the early story regarding what you need to know going into the Saiyan arc, for example. Plus it doesn't shy away from referencing things that happened back then with little context, for example when Goku realizes it was him who destroyed the Tournament grounds at the 21st TB, or when Gero goes into his flashback to OG DB battles. Kai does stand alone but it isn't self-contained as much as people think it is.
Well, that's because Kai is supposed to replace Z as a filler-reduced supplement to it. It's supposed to be a product that is what some fans that try to get into the franchise through Z want, which allows them to get the story of the arcs of Z without reading the manga (because a lot of DB fans love the visuals of Z, but the majority of us can agree that the majority of the filler wastes time, since it was created specifically to do that with how fast they adapted the manga, & isn't that good). So, to constantly have flashbacks except where necessary & outside of the beginning recap to catch people up who either haven't seen DB in a while, or haven't seen it at all, would just eat up time & not help anyone, especially since there's only 1 arc in Z that actually builds upon a previous one not in Z itself. I myself got back into DB thanks to Kai being a more digestible product. The actually watchable new English dub helped a lot too.

When you brought up the anniversary. It should be noted that these are the anniversaries of Z, not DB. Z started in 1989 while DB started in 1986 with the manga starting in 1984. Hell, the official Z dub with the current English cast started in 1999, though that's more of a coincidence. Everything that Toei's done for DB in literally the last decade has been on the anniversaries of Z. Kai began in the 20th anniversary year of Z, Kai: TFC aired first in Japan for Z's 25th anniversary year, the dub of DBS: Broly came out this year, the 30th anniversary year of Z & the 20th anniversary year of the current dub cast's first episodes began airing in 1999, while the Japanese release was only 1 month ahead of the international release. And this release itself is only of Z. If they were to release DB as well during the anniversary of Z, I would understand this complaint, but this isn't the case. DB would make more sense to give a big release during its next big anniversary, which would be 2021 or 2026, but 35th & 40th anniversaries are rarely used by companies for big celebrations (outside of Toei's Super Sentai franchise getting the excellent Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger). Or use the manga's release as a means to rerelease it, but those are the same years as Z's, so they'd get buried under Z's celebrations.
Last edited by Scsigs on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 amHell, the official Z dub with the current English cast started in 1989, though that's more of a coincidence.
I...believe you mean 1999, not 1989. :wink:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 am It should be noted that these are the anniversaries of Z, not DB.
Oops.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 amHell, the official Z dub with the current English cast started in 1989, though that's more of a coincidence.
I...believe you mean 1999, not 1989. :wink:
Fixed. Thanks.
KBABZ wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:59 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:41 am It should be noted that these are the anniversaries of Z, not DB.
Oops.
Yeah. Not that you're wrong in your assessment. I'd love anniversary sets for DB separate from Z if they're actually good, but for Z's anniversary, I don't think it's that logical to expect sets for the series preceding it. That's like expecting a super deluxe set for the classic original Ben 10 series if Warner Bros. were celebrating the anniversary of Alien Force (that's actually more applicable than I thought if you think about it).

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:16 am

Seems like we’re getting a bit off topic. I was thinking we had more updates on this release

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am

TheSonofKakarrot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:16 am Seems like we’re getting a bit off topic. I was thinking we had more updates on this release
To be fair, it's not as though there's anything to really discuss at this point.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:31 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am
TheSonofKakarrot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:16 am Seems like we’re getting a bit off topic. I was thinking we had more updates on this release
To be fair, it's not as though there's anything to really discuss at this point.
Yeah nothing left to really discuss until some of us get these in our possession next month. It's fun to speculate about future releases. i really hope we get a "collectors edition" or something for all the DB and Z movies.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am

This thing isn't released yet, right? But there's been pictures of cover art, and so forth? If that's the case, where can I see it?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am This thing isn't released yet, right? But there's been pictures of cover art, and so forth? If that's the case, where can I see it?
The cover art and whatnot were shown in the official reveal of the set. You should peruse Funimation's blog posts to find it (I can't because of dumb region-locking on Funi's website).

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am This thing isn't released yet, right? But there's been pictures of cover art, and so forth? If that's the case, where can I see it?
Here is the gist of it
The UK post has a few more images of what the discs look like:
Remains to be seen as to how much of this is what the final thing will look like. As you can see the UK discs are different than the previous picture. These will probably be one example of a difference in the final product.