Dragon Ball and its priority in your life

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Does Dragon Ball takes priority

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 amWhy always that f*cking question? I assume anyone who writes more than 10 lines about the Broly movie is clinically obsessed...
What's the logic behind that (by that reasoning a critic writing an average length review makes them clinically obsessed)? What's so allien about the concept of someone being clinically healthy and having nuance enough opinions that need more than 10 lines to be expressed?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball and its priority in your life

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:14 pm

Guys just don't post in here. It's just Paulo trying to bait us so he can say "dude ur crazy and obssessed and weird stop it". There's no other point to this thread.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:23 pm

This topic rather confuses me, especially given the follow-up posts the creator of the thread has made. Namely, it confuses me that the author asks whether people prioritize Dragon Ball over more important elements of real life (seemingly implying he is worried about this in his own life), and when people respond in the negative, he appears to belittle them out of disbelief. I could definitely be misinterpreting this, but it just feels rather "bad faith" to me I'm sorry to say. On the surface, it looks like a request for assistance, which is how I interpret a lot of the early responses in trying to deliver. But the reciprocating attitude just seems counterproductive to getting people's advice. "Maybe they're just crazy and obsessed?" Yeah, doesn't seem like a great way to interact with your fellow fans.

Because of that, it makes me feel like the thread was more of a cry for validation. But when others failed to "validate" and instead presented their assertions of a more balanced life, the topic author started dragging everyone else down with these counterarguments that anyone posting on a forum like this *has* to be "clinically obsessed"? It feels like he's projecting. Otherwise, I don't really get the point of basically saying, "Nuh-uh. You're more obsessed than I am!"

I just don't see the need to be so seemingly hostile and finger-pointing. I'm glad you got your driver's license. And as I hope you're figuring it out, it is certainly possible to juggle your hobbies and responsibilities in a worthwhile manner.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:19 pm

It goes without saying but even if people put entertainment above all else in their lives, you still wouldn't have anything to do with that and you would have no right to say anything other than trying to at least understand and accept their realities (you can also help them, if you're a good person). Sometimes that person is suffering from depression and uses entertainment as a "escape valve from reality" (others would use drugs and etc).

Not everyone can get a girlfriend/boyfriend for several reasons. Not everyone can make friends that easy and/or they do lose "friends" that easy. Not everyone is an Einstein at school. Not everyone gets the same opportunity in whatever may be the case. There are a lot of factors that must be taken into consideration until someone gets to the point of putting "Dragon Ball as a priority" in their lives.

All would do well to take three steps back and think before making any kind of claim about the life of someone else here. Specially if you do so with hostility.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:52 pm

I didn't get my first significant other until I was twenty-nine, so it can definitely be hard. Hell, my depression is so bad I am months behind on my TV and film backlog and I cry in public. I really don't devote nearly as much time as I want to cartoons and comics anymore.

It's rough being an adult.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Re: Does Dragon Ball takes priority

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:26 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 amWhy always that f*cking question? I assume anyone who writes more than 10 lines about the Broly movie is clinically obsessed...
What's the logic behind that (by that reasoning a critic writing an average length review makes them clinically obsessed)? What's so allien about the concept of someone being clinically healthy and having nuance enough opinions that need more than 10 lines to be expressed?
This critic is being paid to do this review, whilist Kanzenshuu posters aren't. Big difference there.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:28 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:14 pm Guys just don't post in here. It's just Paulo trying to bait us so he can say "dude ur crazy and obssessed and weird stop it". There's no other point to this thread.
I was simply replying ironically to a veiled insult by a previous poster. The post was not meant to be taken in an absolute, literal fashion.

Rook8z8

Post by Rook8z8 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:24 am

Let me put it to you this way - when Dragon Ball Super was airing in Japan (8 or 9 p.m EST here) on SATURDAY, I never missed a single episode of it. If I was at a party, concert,etc...I'd go on my phone and watch the episode. I've seen every Dragon Ball movie that's been shown in theaters here in the US on the first day too.
Last edited by Rook8z8 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 am

I tried not to miss Super, either. I only ever did thanks to work. The only reason I might miss during the next series is for my girlfriend's sake. Good thing she loves Dragon Ball! :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:42 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:28 pm I was simply replying ironically to a veiled insult by a previous poster. The post was not meant to be taken in an absolute, literal fashion.
Sure, but you certainly could have worded that better to make it clearer you were being ironic. Besides, you've made a fair few passively deriding posts in this thread:
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Because people here seem to be addicted to Dragon Ball.

I wouldn't have the patience to write page-long posts about the Broly movie, for example.
Passionate about something they enjoy, greatly critically-minded, and likes to write long-form analyses =/= has an unhealthy obsession that takes over their life. :lol:
It's not like that, don't be facetious. It's that I can't see someone doing that and still being a ''normal'' individual, as society requires it. I.e. living a regular life.
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:13 pm Why would I let a children's comic serial take priority over my life?
Why always that f*cking question? I assume anyone who writes more than 10 lines about the Broly movie is clinically obsessed...
You're basically questioning the ability of every Kanzenshuu forum member ever to manage their adult lives, up to and including VegettoEX and Herms (who it must be said have written an incredible amount on the series on top of the rest of their lives, including a limited-run anniversary magazine, managing a wiki and of course the podcast). When people come to Kanzenshuu, they come to talk about Dragon Ball and sometimes Dr. Slump, but it's unreasonable to assume that we're all doing that 100% of the time outside of the forum as well. My interest waxes and wanes but I'm always up to discuss something I'm interested in. It's not the totality of our day-to-day thinking however, and it's judgemental of you to assume that we cannot manage my own lives because of it.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:42 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:28 pm I was simply replying ironically to a veiled insult by a previous poster. The post was not meant to be taken in an absolute, literal fashion.
Sure, but you certainly could have worded that better to make it clearer you were being ironic. Besides, you've made a fair few passively deriding posts in this thread:
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Passionate about something they enjoy, greatly critically-minded, and likes to write long-form analyses =/= has an unhealthy obsession that takes over their life. :lol:
It's not like that, don't be facetious. It's that I can't see someone doing that and still being a ''normal'' individual, as society requires it. I.e. living a regular life.
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:13 pm Why would I let a children's comic serial take priority over my life?
Why always that f*cking question? I assume anyone who writes more than 10 lines about the Broly movie is clinically obsessed...
You're basically questioning the ability of every Kanzenshuu forum member ever to manage their adult lives, up to and including VegettoEX and Herms (who it must be said have written an incredible amount on the series on top of the rest of their lives, including a limited-run anniversary magazine, managing a wiki and of course the podcast). When people come to Kanzenshuu, they come to talk about Dragon Ball and sometimes Dr. Slump, but it's unreasonable to assume that we're all doing that 100% of the time outside of the forum as well. My interest waxes and wanes but I'm always up to discuss something I'm interested in. It's not the totality of our day-to-day thinking however, and it's judgemental of you to assume that we cannot manage my own lives because of it.
You are right, and I apologize to you and everyone else here for the snarky tone.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:31 am

It's funny how no one actually understood what this thread was all about.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:31 am It's funny how no one actually understood what this thread was all about.
What this thread is about?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:36 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:31 am It's funny how no one actually understood what this thread was all about.
The small amount of people who are so obsessed with a piece of media that they neglect their actual life in favor of over consumption of said piece of entertainment, which in this case is Dragon Ball. AKA Do you neglect taking showers because you're in the middle of rewatching the Cell arc for the 10th time.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:06 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:36 am
The small amount of people who are so obsessed with a piece of media that they neglect their actual life in favor of over consumption of said piece of entertainment, which in this case is Dragon Ball. AKA Do you neglect taking showers because you're in the middle of rewatching the Cell arc for the 10th time.
Yeah, that's the spirit of the thing.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:47 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:36 amDo you neglect taking showers because you're in the middle of re-watching the Cell arc for the 10th time.
No, I move my TV and ps4 into the bathroom and continue watching as I take my showers. :thumbup:

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:54 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:06 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:36 am
Yeah, that's the spirit of the thing.
Do you need personal advice or are you trying to help someone else?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:54 pm

You were warned and issued a temporary ban for consistently necroposting in old threads, and it appears the first thing you do upon return is... post in a thread that has not been active in months, that you yourself created created seemingly just to slander and bait people...?

And simultaneously go and make a new, similar thread?

Is this, like, internet performance art? Or are you actually just a bit crazy?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::