Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 pmThe UK post has a few more images of what the discs look like:
I wonder if Manga UK's logo will appear anywhere on the discs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 pm

I assume since FUNi has an official foothold in the UK due to absorbing Manga UK that they'll put the US Z dub on these discs. As far as I know, the home media releases in the UK have only had the Japanese dub with English subs on the discs & the Ocean dub wasn't done uncut, as well as is missing the first 100 some odd episodes, as well as being owned by a completely different company, so I doubt that that dub would ever be on these discs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:15 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 pm I assume since FUNi has an official foothold in the UK due to absorbing Manga UK that they'll put the US Z dub on these discs. As far as I know, the home media releases in the UK have only had the Japanese dub with English subs on the discs & the Ocean dub wasn't done uncut, as well as is missing the first 100 some odd episodes, as well as being owned by a completely different company, so I doubt that that dub would ever be on these discs.
Oh I have no doubt that the Westwood dub won't be on this release. Manga UK do after all just import whatever Funimation or Madman has authored. And any release of the Westwood dub wouldn't be able to include the Japanese track anyway because it's edited.

On a slightly similar note Manga UK did reply to a comment on Facebook saying this set includes a "Broadcast dub" and an "Uncut dub" but I wouldn't let anyone get their hopes up that Funimation put the original Toonami US dub with Dale Kelly on it, because that again is an edited product. Most likely Manga UK just assumed the track with Johnson and Falconer's music was the exact Broadcast dub when we all know for a fact it isn't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:15 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 pm I assume since FUNi has an official foothold in the UK due to absorbing Manga UK that they'll put the US Z dub on these discs. As far as I know, the home media releases in the UK have only had the Japanese dub with English subs on the discs & the Ocean dub wasn't done uncut, as well as is missing the first 100 some odd episodes, as well as being owned by a completely different company, so I doubt that that dub would ever be on these discs.
Oh I have no doubt that the Westwood dub won't be on this release. Manga UK do after all just import whatever Funimation or Madman has authored. And any release of the Westwood dub wouldn't be able to include the Japanese track anyway because it's edited.

On a slightly similar note Manga UK did reply to a comment on Facebook saying this set includes a "Broadcast dub" and an "Uncut dub" but I wouldn't let anyone get their hopes up that Funimation put the original Toonami US dub with Dale Kelly on it, because that again is an edited product. Most likely Manga UK just assumed the track with Johnson and Falconer's music was the exact Broadcast dub when we all know for a fact it isn't.
I mean, i'd assume that they most likely wouldn't know that what's been released here in the States as the "broadcast track" on most releases aside from the Dragon Boxes since 2007 on the Orange Bricks (2005 in the case of the Johnson score on the Ultimate Uncut Edition versions of the Saiyan and Namek arcs comprising season one and two) is not what originally aired on Toonami from 1999 to 2003. Then again, in those particular countries the FUNi dub only aired for a time before switching to the Westwood dub with the Ocean Cast around the Androids arc. Everything that comprises Season 3 of Z (Ginyu-Garlic Jr.) had already aired there with the in house cast and Faulconer's score before the transition back to Ocean again for Trunks and onward. Given that this all happened around 18-19 years ago, i honestly wouldn't be surprised if people there just believed the version presented as the broadcast dub on the Orange Bricks and onward are in fact what aired on CN even though of course that's not actually true.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:15 pm Oh I have no doubt that the Westwood dub won't be on this release. Manga UK do after all just import whatever Funimation or Madman has authored. And any release of the Westwood dub wouldn't be able to include the Japanese track anyway because it's edited.

That's how FUNi's been marketing the dub with US music since 2007, though. Every home media release they've had for Z since 2007, minus the Dragon Boxes because it only had the dub with the Japanese score, has labeled it the "broadcast dub" simply because it has the US music, even though certain parts of the dub were rerecorded with mostly the same scripts after the broadcast. To me, it doesn't even seem like FUNi gives a shit about having that track on the home releases anyways & only do it because it sells with nostalgia brats who prefer it for whatever reasons they say they do. The reason I say this is because it's not even 5.1, it's just a stereo mix. You'd think that the broadcast dub would have a better mix than stereo on these releases, but maybe they don't have a proper 5.1 mix of the music because of the falling out they had with Falconer, whilst Toei hooked them up with 5.1 stereo mixes of the Japanese score.
Like, the Japanese dub's original audio was junked & Toei absolutely refuses to let them use the fan-recorded stereo VHS-ripped audio directly from Japan for some baffling reason, so it's understandable why that's trapped at mono, but the "broadcast" dub track isn't in better quality? I know most of the people that worked on that dub hate it in retrospect, but it baffles me. At least the Ocean dub had good voice acting behind it. The FUNi dub has nothing but being interesting to watch in retrospect as where these actors started to see how much better they got over the years. And that's terrible.
They don't wanna actually spent time & money to properly remaster their film stock & finish what they started in 2011, they don't wanna rerecord the entirety of Z for the track with the Japanese score to be better like Kai, & they don't wanna at least throw nostalgia brats a bone with a better mix of the "broadcast" track. It's pathetic.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:15 pm Oh I have no doubt that the Westwood dub won't be on this release. Manga UK do after all just import whatever Funimation or Madman has authored. And any release of the Westwood dub wouldn't be able to include the Japanese track anyway because it's edited.

That's how FUNi's been marketing the dub with US music since 2007, though. Every home media release they've had for Z since 2007, minus the Dragon Boxes because it only had the dub with the Japanese score, has labeled it the "broadcast dub" simply because it has the US music, even though certain parts of the dub were rerecorded with mostly the same scripts after the broadcast. To me, it doesn't even seem like FUNi gives a shit about having that track on the home releases anyways & only do it because it sells with nostalgia brats who prefer it for whatever reasons they say they do. The reason I say this is because it's not even 5.1, it's just a stereo mix. You'd think that the broadcast dub would have a better mix than stereo on these releases, but maybe they don't have a proper 5.1 mix of the music because of the falling out they had with Falconer, whilst Toei hooked them up with 5.1 stereo mixes of the Japanese score.
Like, the Japanese dub's original audio was junked & Toei absolutely refuses to let them use the fan-recorded stereo VHS-ripped audio directly from Japan for some baffling reason, so it's understandable why that's trapped at mono, but the "broadcast" dub track isn't in better quality? I know most of the people that worked on that dub hate it in retrospect, but it baffles me. At least the Ocean dub had good voice acting behind it. The FUNi dub has nothing but being interesting to watch in retrospect as where these actors started to see how much better they got over the years. And that's terrible.
They don't wanna actually spent time & money to properly remaster their film stock & finish what they started in 2011, they don't wanna rerecord the entirety of Z for the track with the Japanese score to be better like Kai, & they don't wanna at least throw nostalgia brats a bone with a better mix of the "broadcast" track. It's pathetic.
Yeah, it sucks that the folks at FUNi really don't care on either front and the proof of that definitely shows in spades. Both from the terrible remasters and since 2007 a patchwork partial re dub that only sort of fixed some of the numerous problems (terrible dialogue.etc) in the earlier parts of the in house dub. Hell, they only re dubbed up to the Garlic Jr. episodes before basically going "screw it" and just leaving the old version alone from Trunks' arrival and onwards. But wow, it really is shameful to be honest that they don't give a crap that much. If only they'd come to their senses and just put in the effort to make an actual proper remastered HD release, instead of just basically repackaging the Season BD's only this time in the proper 4:3 instead of fake widescreen. Still, given the latest letdown with the 30th anniversary set i really don't have a lot of hope for them getting it together and making those changes because they seem set in their ways. While i like their improved dubbing and scripting work over the last decade a la Kai and so on, their home video arm is the part of the company which really seems to be woefully dropping the ball with every release.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 pm Yeah, it sucks that the folks at FUNi really don't care on either front and the proof of that definitely shows in spades. Both from the terrible remasters and since 2007 a patchwork partial re dub that only sort of fixed some of the numerous problems (terrible dialogue.etc) in the earlier parts of the in house dub. Hell, they only re dubbed up to the Garlic Jr. episodes before basically going "screw it" and just leaving the old version alone from Trunks' arrival and onwards. But wow, it really is shameful to be honest that they don't give a crap that much. If only they'd come to their senses and just put in the effort to make an actual proper remastered HD release, instead of just basically repackaging the Season BD's only this time in the proper 4:3 instead of fake widescreen. Still, given the latest letdown with the 30th anniversary set i really don't have a lot of hope for them getting it together and making those changes because they seem set in their ways. While i like their improved dubbing and scripting work over the last decade a la Kai and so on, their home video arm is the part of the company which really seems to be woefully dropping the ball with every release.
Which is weird because it REALLY depends on the property. DBZ is, literally, the only part of this particular franchise that suffers any of these problems & this is the only franchise FUNi has licensed that they repeatedly do this shit to. One Piece (episodes 1-206)? Nope. Yu Yu Hakusho? Nope. DB? Nope. DBGT? Nope. Cowboy Bebop? Nope! Not even other anime licensers do this shit to their most popular properties that were made before the HD days or before the animation studios thought of future-proofing through widescreen. I know some of those shows are ones that they got HD masters for from the source, but this just shows where FUNi's headspace is & how transparent they are when making these arbitrary decisions. If Toei made official HD masters readily available, like with Kai, FUNi wouldn't even bother with making them themselves. In fact, I BET if Toei DID make them themselves, FUNi's marketing team would INSTANTLY change gears from, "We NEED this to be in widescreen" to, "Look at this pristine image quality, remastered by the original Japanese studio" & no mentions of the aspect ratio would be made whatsoever in their marketing.

Which, as an aside, Toei could easily remaster the episodes themselves. If they pace how they do it, it wouldn't even really be that expensive. If they contract Q-Tec or another company to just do the clean-up & color correction, with supervision by their longtime staff members of the franchise, then release an arc in a few volumes over a few years, it would be viable. Start with Z, then work their way back as well just like with the Dragon Boxes. It just needs to get started. They probably have the raw film scans of most of the show on their hard drives in Japan from when they did Kai, so part of the work's already done.

But, yeah, it's just a mess with Z.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:05 am

We Dont want Q-Tec Near anything if i recall correctly

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm

mikezilla2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:05 am We Dont want Q-Tec Near anything if i recall correctly
I mean, Q-Tec did a good job with Kai, but the faults lie in that the way they rotoscoped the original animation to recolor it & traced over damaged frames to recreate them. It resulted in some jarring animation & a softer image. I have a feeling they were a bit rushed, as is Toei's MO for how they do the newer DB shows. Plus, they were obviously working for cheap. I feel like if they were given a good amount of time & budget, they could do a good remaster. Like, Kai only suffers from minor problems, really. Other than those, it's a good remaster. Toei did worse, remember, with TFC.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
mikezilla2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:05 am We Dont want Q-Tec Near anything if i recall correctly
I mean, Q-Tec did a good job with Kai, but the faults lie in that the way they rotoscoped the original animation to recolor it & traced over damaged frames to recreate them. It resulted in some jarring animation & a softer image. I have a feeling they were a bit rushed, as is Toei's MO for how they do the newer DB shows. Plus, they were obviously working for cheap. I feel like if they were given a good amount of time & budget, they could do a good remaster. Like, Kai only suffers from minor problems, really. Other than those, it's a good remaster. Toei did worse, remember, with TFC.
Yeah, I recall there was a user here who was on the Kai animation team and they were really time constrained. I do understand that some shots would need reanimating to fit the edited continuity (as in, shot continuity), but I feel Kai was a bit overzealous with just how many shots were made anew. It's a shame Kai was done in the post-Broly era we're currently in so that it might actually look like it was done by hand rather than the Pencil tool.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:08 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
Yeah, I recall there was a user here who was on the Kai animation team and they were really time constrained. I do understand that some shots would need reanimating to fit the edited continuity (as in, shot continuity), but I feel Kai was a bit overzealous with just how many shots were made anew. It's a shame Kai was done in the post-Broly era we're currently in so that it might actually look like it was done by hand rather than the Pencil tool.
As someone who recently finished replacing the redrawn scenes with DBOX footage, I can confirm that 99% of all redrawn shots were unnecessary, and that there were only like 6 or 7 shots were it was kinda necessary due to the camera panning while the lines the character spoke were different than it originally was, making it impossible to just use different frames of the mouth moving.
The main reason these redraws were made in the first place (other than fixing animation errors and some cases of censorship) was to remove all of the flashing lights so they could be aired on TV (which is still weird considering there are still some scenes in kai there that clearly has flashing lights, and TFC managed to fix it without redraws)
Now as to why they didn't bother releasing the dvds and blu rays of kai without the redraws since home video laws are different, I ain't got the slightest clue, but this is Toei we're talking about after all so I'm not really surprised.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:08 pm Now as to why they didn't bother releasing the dvds and blu rays of kai without the redraws since home video laws are different, I ain't got the slightest clue, but this is Toei we're talking about after all so I'm not really surprised.
Because that'd be cheaper! It sounds like the redrawn versions were done to make the "base" product, which was then altered for specific networks like NickToons to make the "censored" version. It's a damn shame because those 6 or 7 shots could have looked fantastic if those were the only ones.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm
armyandstuff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:08 pm Now as to why they didn't bother releasing the dvds and blu rays of kai without the redraws since home video laws are different, I ain't got the slightest clue, but this is Toei we're talking about after all so I'm not really surprised.
Because that'd be cheaper! It sounds like the redrawn versions were done to make the "base" product, which was then altered for specific networks like NickToons to make the "censored" version. It's a damn shame because those 6 or 7 shots could have looked fantastic if those were the only ones.
Funny thing is there actually were some shots that were very faithful and came close to looking like the original (the best example of this being some shots during Vegetas fight against Recoome) so if they had just focused on those few necessary shots then they likely would have looked excellent (though I'm sure they would still be fairly easy to spot for plenty of reasons)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:55 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm
Funny thing is there actually were some shots that were very faithful and came close to looking like the original (the best example of this being some shots during Vegetas fight against Recoome) so if they had just focused on those few necessary shots then they likely would have looked excellent (though I'm sure they would still be fairly easy to spot for plenty of reasons)
My favourite is in the DB recap of Goku delivering the final blow on Piccolo Jr. It looks so good!

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:55 pm
My favourite is in the DB recap of Goku delivering the final blow on Piccolo Jr. It looks so good!
it also helps that they changed the blood to purple in that scene, meaning it at least had a good reason to be there unlike most other redraws.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:06 pm
it also helps that they changed the blood to purple in that scene, meaning it at least had a good reason to be there unlike most other redraws.
I like the recolor they did to Vegeta and his armor when him and Nappa are sitting on the bug planet, with changing the green/orange/blue/red colors to the ones we know which match all his later appearances. Of course the reason this was done in Z was primarily because at the time he'd only appeared in the manga up to that point in black and white, so Toei back in the day had to essentially make up colors for him on the fly because they didn't have any reference for what he'd even look like. Ditto for Nappa as he appears there with his armor colored like Raditz, though while Vegeta's was fixed his got left alone instead of being changed to the later correct version.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:22 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm
I like the recolor they did to Vegeta and his armor when him and Nappa are sitting on the bug planet, with changing the green/orange/blue/red colors to the ones we know which match all his later appearances. Of course the reason this was done in Z was primarily because at the time he'd only appeared in the manga up to that point in black and white, so Toei back in the day had to essentially make up colors for him on the fly because they didn't have any reference for what he'd even look like. Ditto for Nappa as he appears there with his armor colored like Raditz, though while Vegeta's was fixed his got left alone instead of being changed to the later correct version.
There's also a flashback later on where a bunch of other saiyans had their hair changed to black as well, since it hadn't been established that full blooded saiyans only have black hair when that scene was originally made.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:22 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm
There's also a flashback later on where a bunch of other saiyans had their hair changed to black as well, since it hadn't been established that full blooded saiyans only have black hair when that scene was originally made.
Yeah, i figured that would be changed for similar reasons as the previous i.e consistency with the later depictions of them.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:42 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm I like the recolor they did to Vegeta and his armor when him and Nappa are sitting on the bug planet
Technically they only re-coloured Vegeta: Nappa is still in the black-and-brown Raditz-style armour, rather than his usual white-and-yellow look.

(I always head-canon'd it that they can change the colour of the armour somehow)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:53 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:42 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm I like the recolor they did to Vegeta and his armor when him and Nappa are sitting on the bug planet
Technically they only re-coloured Vegeta: Nappa is still in the black-and-brown Raditz-style armour, rather than his usual white-and-yellow look.

(I always head-canon'd it that they can change the colour of the armour somehow)
Yeah, it was indeed quite odd how they fixed Vegeta and his armor to the more well known later colors but not the other. I mean in the original series both had those specifically because it was not yet known to the animation staff at Toei for the reasons mentioned above given their introduction chapter in the manga being black and thus with nothing to reference while animating said episode resulting in them making up colors to compensate, and i'm not sure exactly why they didn't bother correcting Nappa's to his later armor's appearance for whatever reason.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:07 am, edited 7 times in total.