"Dragon Ball Super" Crunchyroll Home Release Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Home Release Thread

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 pm I wonder how they will release the next collectors set. As a massive 79 episode set containing sets 5 - 10 or Collection 2 with 52 episodes with a small 27 episode Part 3.
Do you mean the Madman sets? 'Collection 2' comes out in October, and only bundles parts 5-8.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Alright, everyone - I've updated my initial post to simply be a guide of the release schedule of the existing and upcoming Part Sets as well as a section for possible Season Sets. Originally, I attempted to make this a guessing game thread for the cover arts/release dates as well as a release schedule guide, but seeing what this thread became (and remembering I had even changed the title to reflect the change) - I decided to keep things simple.

Funny enough, I sold away my Super Part Sets because I'm not sure if I want to collect the individual parts, but may be inclined to buy the Season Sets. Anyone have any guess on when that inevitable release is coming? Knowing Funimation, they're going to milk Super for all it's worth anyway so Season/Collection sets of about 26 episodes are pretty much guaranteed. Anyway, here's the updated guide for convenience:

Dragon Ball Super FUNimation Home Release Guide:

Part Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Part One - Ep. 1-13 RELEASED July 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Two - Ep. 14-26 RELEASED October 3, 2017
Dragon Ball Super: Part Three - Ep. 27-39 RELEASED February 20, 2018
Dragon Ball Super: Part Four - Ep. 40-52 RELEASED June 19, 2018
Dragon Ball Super: Part Five - Ep. 53-65 RELEASED October 2, 2018
Dragon Ball Super: Part Six - Ep. 66- 78 RELEASED January 8, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: Part Seven - Ep. 79-91 RELEASED April 2, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: Part Eight - Ep. 92-104 RELEASED July 2, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: Part Nine - Ep. 105-117 RELEASING October 8, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: Part Ten - Ep. 118-131 N/A

Possible Season Sets:

Dragon Ball Super: Season One N/A
Dragon Ball Super: Season Two N/A
Dragon Ball Super: Season Three N/A
Dragon Ball Super: Season Four N/A
Dragon Ball Super: Season Five N/A

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Received my #9 set today. 😁

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:31 pm

I swear if I collect all 10 of these parts only for FUNi to announce "season sets", I will...uh...be less than pleased.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:31 pm I swear if I collect all 10 of these parts only for FUNi to announce "season sets", I will...uh...be less than pleased.
... This is undoubtedly going to happen, though, and shouldn't be any kind of surprise! It probably won't be announced the instant box 10 comes out, or even a couple months down the line, but it's sure to happen.

The benefit you get of buying the early sets is having them and being able to enjoy them right away. The benefit people who buy the "season" sets get is a more cost-effective bundle, though they have to wait significantly longer to do so. This is a pretty consistent model across all sorts of merchandise releases (and, again, shouldn't be much of a surprise).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 pm

So are the debut of UI Goku episodes on the home release the extended versions or the short episode versions? If they are the short versions why is that?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:02 pm

GTx10 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 pm So are the debut of UI Goku episodes on the home release the extended versions or the short episode versions? If they are the short versions why is that?
It's the short versions. My guess is FUNi never dubbed the extended version, perhaps they didn't receive the proper materials to do so.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Well that is disappointing. That is footage lost and I'm very surprised by Toei. At least release it as a separate special
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:48 pm

This is probably a dumb question but... Are you Sean Schemmel? He once made an account specifically to exchange some choice words with PenguinTruth, and I remember his username being very similar to yours :P .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm

Lol I would like his money from voice acting. Alas I ain't the man in question. Just a nerd concerned about extended footage.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:20 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:31 pm I swear if I collect all 10 of these parts only for FUNi to announce "season sets", I will...uh...be less than pleased.
... This is undoubtedly going to happen, though, and shouldn't be any kind of surprise! It probably won't be announced the instant box 10 comes out, or even a couple months down the line, but it's sure to happen.

The benefit you get of buying the early sets is having them and being able to enjoy them right away. The benefit people who buy the "season" sets get is a more cost-effective bundle, though they have to wait significantly longer to do so. This is a pretty consistent model across all sorts of merchandise releases (and, again, shouldn't be much of a surprise).
I'm, honestly, surprised "seasons" or collections didn't start coming out after, like, part 5 or 6. Considering how they do One Piece's collections, this is surprising to me. It kinda makes sense that they'd wait almost 3 years, since there are gonna be 5 seasons since the next set's the last for Super 1.0, depending on if they bring back or not as Super next, since they literally have only 1 to go & there's 10 part sets in all.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 am

GTx10 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm Lol I would like his money from voice acting. Alas I ain't the man in question. Just a nerd concerned about extended footage.
Anime voice acting doesn't pay that well, but yeah that extra footage would have been great to have on the home release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:52 pm

The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:20 am
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm, honestly, surprised "seasons" or collections didn't start coming out after, like, part 5 or 6. Considering how they do One Piece's collections, this is surprising to me. It kinda makes sense that they'd wait almost 3 years, since there are gonna be 5 seasons since the next set's the last for Super 1.0, depending on if they bring back or not as Super next, since they literally have only 1 to go & there's 10 part sets in all.
I’ve always assumed One Piece gets them mid-run because it’s Obscenely long with no end in sight
And Dragon Ball Kai only got them while the series was ongoing because they very abruptly had to pull parts 1-4 from circulation

Otherwise they tend to wait until the series/season is over first

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 pm I’ve always assumed One Piece gets them mid-run because it’s Obscenely long with no end in sight
And Dragon Ball Kai only got them while the series was ongoing because they very abruptly had to pull parts 1-4 from circulation

Otherwise they tend to wait until the series/season is over first.
I mean, Fairy Tail has them & the only times that show was off the air is when they gave the manga a chance to get decently far ahead to avoid Naruto-type filler episodes. One Piece started getting them around 3 years after they started releasing the volumes, so, yeah, there's probably something to its length. That was also during the first gap where they stopped dubbing episodes until they picked the show back up at episode 207 & started releasing it again. Now they release the Collections after a year or year & a half after the volumes, which is usually in-between when the volumes that make up the Collections were released a year after. I think by the time FUNi started dubbing Super, especially due to the price of licensing the show & the time gap from the Japanese airing, they see no reason to rerelease the episodes in Collections yet, since they'd probably lose money on them, but the show's been over in Japan for over a year now, so now's the perfect time to start rereleasing them in cheaper sets. Even if the show were suddenly announced to be continuing in the near future, they'd still have no reasons. Next year is gonna be the year to start buying Super, I feel it.
I really wish Viz would start doing these more too, outside of rereleases on Blu-Ray (also be more consistent on doing them. The 5th Bleach BR set took almost 2 YEARS to get announced for release for no reason). Other shows could use it, like Naruto Shippuden. I refuse to buy the DVD volumes because there's too many & they cost too much.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm I really wish Viz would start doing these more too, outside of rereleases on Blu-Ray (also be more consistent on doing them. The 5th Bleach BR set took almost 2 YEARS to get announced for release for no reason). Other shows could use it, like Naruto Shippuden. I refuse to buy the DVD volumes because there's too many & they cost too much.
Oh god yeah I wish Viz had a turnaround half as fast as Funi lmao

Hunter x Hunter has been a damn exercise in patience

Apparently I wasn’t the only one who felt that way because 26 episodes in they actually did switch over to a 2-in-1+reduced price model, but they still come out slow as hell

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 am Oh god yeah I wish Viz had a turnaround half as fast as Funi lmao

Hunter x Hunter has been a damn exercise in patience

Apparently I wasn’t the only one who felt that way because 26 episodes in they actually did switch over to a 2-in-1+reduced price model, but they still come out slow as hell
Well, they had Hunter x Hunter initially released in 13-episode releases, but quickly switched to 22-24 episodes per thing, which is odd, but I'm glad they did it. Makes me just wanna buy the sets when they come out more.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:03 am

Release Date: 1/14/20

Episodes: 118-131

(Loving how you see more of Goku's abs in the DVD cover over the Blu-ray cover. I guess there really is a reason to buy DVDs in 2020.)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:48 am

jelleline89 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:03 am Image

Release Date: 1/14/20

Episodes: 118-131

(Loving how you see more of Goku's abs in the DVD cover over the Blu-ray cover. I guess there really is a reason to buy DVDs in 2020.)

There's always the Manga UK Blu-Rays, which place the 'Dragon Ball Super' logo further down the cover than Funimation. Hoping they will keep this cover too.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:41 pm

Got a query I couldn't find an answer too.

With the Blu-ray Japanese audio track, do they use the english or original Japanese version of Ultimate Battle? I ask because there has been cases before with the home video releases only featuring the English versions of insert songs with Dragon Ball regardless of audio track. An answer would be nice before purachsing the complete series.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/