Dragon Ball Tabletop Games from IDW Games?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball Tabletop Games from IDW Games?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:36 pm

I was looking into some of the TMNT Tabletop games to see how many were made over the years, which eventually lead me to IDW Games (a subdivision of the comic company that now holds the license to TMNT), which eventually lead me to discovering...well, these.

Dragon Ball Z: Over 9,000
The greatest fighters in the Dragon Ball Z universe have assembled to see who is the mightiest of them all! Part bluffing game, part deduction, Dragon Ball Z: Over 9000 has players selecting an iconic hero or villain from Dragon Ball Z and competing against their friends to be the first to get their power level over 9000!

Number of Players: 3-6

Game Length: 30-45min

Game Designer: Jon Cohn

Available In September 2018
Dragon Ball Super: Heroic Battle
It’s a fight for the future in Dragon Ball Super: Heroic Battle! A flicking fighting game, Heroic Battle has you flicking Goku, Vegeta, Goku Black, or Zamasu into your opponents to deal damage and gain power. Power up and unleash special flick attacks that can send your enemies bouncing off of each other, or even into ‘destructible’ 3D terrain! Collect the 7 Dragon Balls to make a wish and change the way the game is played!

Number of Players: 2-4

Game Length: 30-45min

Game Designer: Spencer Reeve

Available In September 2018
So, they're not straight-up table top, D&D style games like some of the TMNT ones I was researching, but uh...these...exist? Or did they even actually come out? I don't remember ever hearing anything about these, and they both supposedly came out in 2018, but you can't seem to order them off of that site now even if you wanted to. I haven't yet checked Amazon to see what that turns up, but I'm not so much interested in actually buying them as I am just...did anyone ever hear of these things? Did they actually come out? Are they fun at all? Anything at all of interest from them in any way/shape/form?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Tabletop Games from IDW Games?

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 pm

I think I've seen that game (and maybe another similar DBZ one) in Forbidden Planet Birmingham recently, but it's not on the FB website.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 am

I think I've seen these at gamestop before.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 am

I very recently saw both of these at an EB Games/Zing story in the city. Based on the website descriptions (which have slightly more detail than you've posted), they're really more like board/party games than tabletop RPGs (although there has been a tabletop RPG as well).

Over 9000:
Listed as a card game, but sounds like a card game in the vein of exploding kittens or sushi go, with a heavy bluffing element like many board games.

Heroic Battle:
It's a disc flicking came, although the contents make it sound fairly involved.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!