DBZ Got Lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

DBZ Got Lucky...

Post by Nokra » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Yup. There wasn't much competition when it came out that was doing what it was doing. Not like today where any of these shows could compete with it or do better. toriyama was lucky enough to come up with the concept of dbz before everyone else and had no competition so there was nothing to compare it to. lets be honest, dbz is poorly written, inconsistent, bad art/animation, badly used characters (everyone who isn't called goku), terrible power scaling, etc. only reason its so liked now is nostalgia and 20 plus years of people getting used to how piss poor the writing is. toriyama got very lucky with dbz. if it came out today it wouldn't stand a chance and with how easily triggered and angry western fans get there would be people making videos criticizing everything about it (like with dbs) every time a new episode aired. I just imagine all the videos about asspulls, bad powerscaling, poor writing and inconsistencies, bad art/animation, characters being wasted, etc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ Got Lucky...

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Not another one!

Why are you here? Does this thread serve any constructive purpose?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm Why are you here? Does this thread serve any constructive purpose?
Well I mean, he has a topic he wants to discuss I think.

That being said the premise is ridiculous. You can only "get lucky" so many times before it has to come down to just being a compelling and enjoyable piece of media.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Every work benefits from good timing, but DB has been successful for too long in too many different parts of the world to chalk it all up to luck.

Get off the internet. If anyone think the kids posting videos complaining about the power scaling are indicative of the whole or make any difference, I think they lack perspective.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Nokra wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm Yup. There wasn't much competition when it came out that was doing what it was doing. Not like today where any of these shows could compete with it or do better. toriyama was lucky enough to come up with the concept of dbz before everyone else and had no competition so there was nothing to compare it to. lets be honest, dbz is poorly written, inconsistent, bad art/animation, badly used characters (everyone who isn't called goku), terrible power scaling, etc. only reason its so liked now is nostalgia and 20 plus years of people getting used to how piss poor the writing is. toriyama got very lucky with dbz. if it came out today it wouldn't stand a chance and with how easily triggered and angry western fans get there would be people making videos criticizing everything about it (like with dbs) every time a new episode aired. I just imagine all the videos about asspulls, bad powerscaling, poor writing and inconsistencies, bad art/animation, characters being wasted, etc.
Um i don't get what exactly you're trying to say here, because it and the franchise as a whole became huge not through just pure luck alone but gradual exposure throughout the world in several forms after it's initial take off in Japan in the mid '80s. True there are flaws, but it didn't become this huge mega successful property solely by "getting lucky" but through it connecting with a lot of people on it's own merits as a story that has gradually expanded over the past 30+ years.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 pm

I would say DBZ did have competition, at least on the US front. After all, the other biggest properties in the late 90s was Pokemon, Sailor Moon and Digimon. If anything DBZ was still 2nd to Pokemon, at least from I observed back then.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:30 pm

There were a lot of contemporary series in Japan that had similar motifs, like Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm Why are you here? Does this thread serve any constructive purpose?
Well I mean, he has a topic he wants to discuss I think.

That being said the premise is ridiculous. You can only "get lucky" so many times before it has to come down to just being a compelling and enjoyable piece of media.
I agreed with this...until I remembered that Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray exist and are massively popular as well.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 am

this entire post seems to act like the original dragon ball doesn't exist ? it also seems to imply dragon ball only became popular 20 years ago when the series has been around for almost 35 years. are you talking about why it's popular in western countries or just in general ? i honestly can't really tell.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am

Nokra wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm Yup. There wasn't much competition when it came out that was doing what it was doing.
Considering it did incredibly well in the US a decade after Japan (and most countries) aired it in which it also did incredibly well already your argument is flawed and fucking stupid. We can demonstrably prove this is false.
. toriyama was lucky enough to come up with the concept of dbz before everyone else
What the fuck does that even mean?

and had no competition
Not true but okay
so there was nothing to compare it to.
In the US it could certainly be compared to any superhero type show like Power Rangers.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 am this entire post seems to act like the original dragon ball doesn't exist ? it also seems to imply dragon ball only became popular 20 years ago when the series has been around for almost 35 years. are you talking about why it's popular in western countries or just in general ? i honestly can't really tell.
I’m not sure the op is aware of any of this.

I think they believe Toriyama created DBZ for Toonami in 1999 and the series didn’t date back to 1984 with Dragon Ball. Or that’s a hodge podge of different inspirations.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:37 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 am this entire post seems to act like the original dragon ball doesn't exist ? it also seems to imply dragon ball only became popular 20 years ago when the series has been around for almost 35 years. are you talking about why it's popular in western countries or just in general ? i honestly can't really tell.
I’m not sure the op is aware of any of this.

I think they believe Toriyama created DBZ for Toonami in 1999 and the series didn’t date back to 1984 with Dragon Ball. Or that’s a hodge podge of different inspirations.
Wow, i find it hard to believe that someone would actually think the above to be true, as in thinking the franchise didn't start in the '80s as a manga series before being adapted as an anime or the 153 episodes of the original DB series does not exist and only started with Z. Does the OP seem to believe the show is not Japanese or something with only being aware of the dub??? Because i can't really make heads or tails of his initial post as to what exactly he's getting at.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 am

This entire topic is bait. Come on people, don’t bite on something as dumb as this. Why would someone go out of their way to sign up to a Dragon Ball forum just so they can later make a topic basically calling it complete trash?
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 pm

MajinMan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 am This entire topic is bait. Come on people, don’t bite on something as dumb as this. Why would someone go out of their way to sign up to a Dragon Ball forum just so they can later make a topic basically calling it complete trash?
criticizing something isn't the same as calling it trash fyi.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Dragon Ball had Saint Seiya, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Slam Dunk to compete with yet ultimately came up on top.

I couldn't call that luck at all. There is just something fundamentally special about Dragon Ball which makes it the undisputed Father of Modern Shonen.

One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc. are its children.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:18 pm

The Beatles Got Lucky...

Yup. There wasn't much competition when they came out that was doing what the group was doing. Not like today where any of these bands could compete with them or do better. The fab 4 was lucky enough to come up with the concept of the boy band before everyone else and had no competition so there was nothing to compare it to. lets be honest, Please Please Me is poorly written, inconsistent, bad playing/production, badly used characters (everyone who isn't called John/Paul), terrible power struggle with song writing, etc. only reason they're so liked now is nostalgia and 60 plus years of people getting used to how piss poor the music is. The fab 4 got very lucky with The Beatles. if they came out today they wouldn't stand a chance and with how easily triggered and angry music fans get there would be people making videos criticizing everything about them (like with Justin Bieber) every time a new album dropped. I just imagine all the videos about "SHE LOVES YOU YEH, YEH, YEH", bad moptops, poor writing, bad cover art, George and Ringo being wasted, etc.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 pm criticizing something isn't the same as calling it trash fyi.
but your criticisms don't make sense and you seem super uninformed about the whole thing. it's not a matter that people are mad you criticized the series or that people can't admit dragon ball has issues, it's just that your post really doesn't make sense and is a bit of a mess.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 am

What a stupid fucking statement. Kinnikuman AND Hokuto no Ken are older than DB and share many of the same tropes. Dragon Ball or rather Toriyama has a certain style that is VERY appealing to everyone. If it's success was truly right place right time then Dragon Ball Z Kai wouldn't have been so successful in the U.S. with young kids.
Raditz did nothing wrong

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 am

@ Nokra

Wanted to bash ya up verbally...but realized I'm much better than that. Also, saw ur generic ninja jutsu avatar...realized ur bias & purpose of this thread...

Trust me. If DBZ releases in my country...this exact day & date....with updated DBZ M8-13/BOG/ROF/DBZ animation quality...it's King. Viewership, merchandise sales, you name it. And pretty sure not just my country, it's still a giant in various nations across the globe.

Yaya. We know. You'd argue popularity isn't quality. Who cares? DB & DBZ are shows that aren't pretentious, cliched stereotypical show that tried so hard to be distinct fearing it's leads, storylines would be trashed by it's fans & critics alike.

DBZ for it's time was bold & Toriyama was ballsy to explore his lore while retaining vintage DragonBall spirit.

Dude...DragonBall inspired Naruto, Bleach, OP & a dozen shows. Name a single show or series that came-out inspired from any of those 3... Nuff said🤣🤣🤣

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am

Naruto inspired the mha and black clover mangaka.