What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 am

First off, let me just say that this is not a thread about the drama that’s been going on since the start of the year. We already have an ongoing thread for that. This is simply a topic regarding Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly specifically.

Recently, I have seen a number of people here on Kanzenshuu who have said that Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly was “bad” or “sub par”. My question is, what exactly was so bad about his take? Regardless of who Mignogna is as a person, I never saw anything particularly wrong with his Broly. I always thought he got the job done just fine, and prior to this year, I wasn’t even aware that there were apparently some detractors towards his performance on this site.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am

I don’t recall there being anything “wrong” with it, per se.

My issue is how many fans nut over his performance when it’s nothing special and literally any moderately deep voice male voice actor who could read lines with bare minimum convention could do just as well.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am

I actually liked the awkward, stilted Tarzan voice/delivery, but I found his screams and whatnot to be woefully weak, especially compared to Bin Shamada
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am I don’t recall there being anything “wrong” with it, per se.

My issue is how many fans nut over his performance when it’s nothing special and literally any moderately deep voice male voice actor who could read lines with bare minimum convention could do just as well.
Vic Mignogna doesn’t exactly have a deep voice in real life, so I think that does lead to people being impressed that he was able to consistently do the Broly voice.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 am

Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 am Oh, I don't know.
Gonna need more than the video. What exactly was wrong with that?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 am

I've never seen this dubbed with the replacement music before.

I'm gonna need a few minutes here. On, like, multiple levels.

Just. Fucking. What. Wow.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Me neither. Its a nightmare.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:56 pm

As far as the dub score for Movie 8 is concerned, I would say that it’s at least less egregious than what they did for Movies 4 and 5. I don’t condone the use of replacement scores, but I guess that if FUNimation was really so insistent on giving any of the Dragon Ball movies the rock music treatment, Movie 8 at least kind of makes sense in that regard.

Zero-ELEC

Post by Zero-ELEC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Oh wow. I'd never seen that dubbed in English. That whole scene is pretty bad. His vocalisations, the music, a cavalcade of woof.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:13 pm

This is my first time seeing this.

I'd heard him in the games or whatever before but jesus this is powerfully terrible.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Nothing about Mignogna’s performance in that clip really strikes me as bad, aside from maybe the excessive grunting, and I’d assume that one would be on the voice director.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 pm

That video that Cursed Lemon posted summed up the problems with his Broly. He can't scream worth a damn.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:12 pm

My two cents: Vic Mignogna is a talented actor. He's a 3rd rate man, but a 1st rate actor.

The only problem he used to have was that he clearly couldn't scream very well. But, he actually solved that problem by the time of Xenoverse 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CxFhzZce1U&t=4m08s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnjc6e1998
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 pm That video that Cursed Lemon posted summed up the problems with his Broly. He can't scream worth a damn.
He literally had better screams as Edward Elric.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 pm

10's by Pantera is a fucking awesome song and I will fight ya'll if you disagree.

I do like Mignogna's take on Broly in Movie 8, but his performance in Super: Broly was a very mixed bag. He's great in scenes where Broly's in his calm base form, but he just can't yell for shit. They had to loop his yell in this scene because he just couldn't maintain it for that long. It's a far cry from Bin Shimada's performance. That man can yell.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 pm 10's by Pantera is a fucking awesome song and I will fight ya'll if you disagree.

I do like Mignogna's take on Broly in Movie 8, but his performance in Super: Broly was a very mixed bag. He's great in scenes where Broly's in his calm base form, but he just can't yell for shit. They had to loop his yell in this scene because he just couldn't maintain it for that long. It's a far cry from Bin Shimada's performance. That man can yell.
I actually do like a lot of the licensed songs FUNimation used back in the day. The problem is that they don’t exactly fit a goofy Japanese martial arts series. Still, as I said before, I think Movie 8 is probably the least egregious case of FUNimation doing that, because you could at least make the argument that the music vaguely fits the nature of Broly’s character. I’m not saying that’s a great argument, and I certainly don’t condone the use of replacement scores, but for what it’s worth, the newest movie did have some heavy metal style music of its own (Go Broly! Go Go!).

As for Vic Mignogna’s yells, yeah, he certainly can’t yell as well as Bin Shimada, but his voice and overall performance always seemed fine to me, and I always did find it impressive how significantly different his Broly voice was from his regular speaking voice. I guess I’m mostly just confused by the people who say he’s a subpar actor, since I’ve seen that come up a few times. Regardless of who he is as a person, that doesn’t mean he can’t act.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 am

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 am
I've never seen this dubbed with the replacement music before.

I'm gonna need a few minutes here. On, like, multiple levels.

Just. Fucking. What. Wow.
A cartoon with music and voice acting you don't like elicits this level of shock?

Back to the main point, I actually like his "calm" voice acting, it's just his screaming sounds weak.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:47 am

DHM211 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 am A cartoon with music and voice acting you don't like elicits this level of shock?

Back to the main point, I actually like his "calm" voice acting, it's just his screaming sounds weak.
The JP version of Dragon Ball is kind of gospel here. And with good reason, the music and voicework of that version is kind of flawless.

To see Funimation butcher it as hard as they did in the 90s is bad enough, if this is the first case in a while that he was introduced to that big a drop in quality where the original was as good as it is (Bin Shimada is pretty fucking incredible let me tell you), it seems totally justifiable to react poorly.

I mean, I'm kind of feeling the same way, this clip is fucking terrible. And I still like Icky Vicky's performance in Fullmetal Alchemist, even with all that's happened.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am I don’t recall there being anything “wrong” with it, per se.

THIS. So much this. Even compared to his other roles, it's not very distinct. There are hundreds who can do a perfect impression and no one would know the difference.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."