Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm looking forward to his Sabo, but has Johnny Yong Bosch ever worked with FUNi before? I know he's hardly the first LA-based VA to work with them, but still.

Anyway, with details on Fighterz' new Broly leaking, I imagine it won't be long until we learn his new VA.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 pm I'm looking forward to his Sabo, but has Johnny Yong Bosch ever worked with FUNi before?
I know he reprised his Vash the Stampede for Trigun: Badlands Rumble back in 2011-ish, which was a Funimation thing.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:05 am https://twitter.com/bmtrocks/status/1184986519725072384
Sabo's voice actor has been officially changed to Johnny Yong Bosch. Good riddance, vicnogna

Broly is next.
Ooh, great choice! Mike McFarland strikes gold again. I always suspected Ichigo would be good friends with Luffy if they met in canon. Not really, but, ya know.

Also, how funny would it be if Johnny also took up Broly? He could do it, he's got the voice box required.
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 pm I'm looking forward to his Sabo, but has Johnny Yong Bosch ever worked with FUNi before? I know he's hardly the first LA-based VA to work with them, but still.

Anyway, with details on Fighterz' new Broly leaking, I imagine it won't be long until we learn his new VA.
He was in Trigun, Space Dandy, & I think a few other things for them. Never as anything bigger than a one-off secondary or tertiary character for them. Primarily because he's an LA-based VA that usually gets his work from Viz. Now, he has a recurring role for them. This is a big step up for him there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm
Zinnia wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:05 am https://twitter.com/bmtrocks/status/1184986519725072384
Sabo's voice actor has been officially changed to Johnny Yong Bosch. Good riddance, vicnogna

Broly is next.
Ooh, great choice! Mike McFarland strikes gold again. I always suspected Ichigo would be good friends with Luffy if they met in canon. Not really, but, ya know.

Also, how funny would it be if Johnny also took up Broly? He could do it, he's got the voice box required.
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 pm I'm looking forward to his Sabo, but has Johnny Yong Bosch ever worked with FUNi before? I know he's hardly the first LA-based VA to work with them, but still.

He was in Trigun, Space Dandy, & I think a few other things for them. Never as anything bigger than a one-off secondary or tertiary character for them. Primarily because he's an LA-based VA that usually gets his work from Viz. Now, he has a recurring role for them. This is a big step up for him there.
I thought the dub of Trigun was handled by Pioneer?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm I thought the dub of Trigun was handled by Pioneer?
Actually, it was originally licensed by Pioneer when they became Geneon, but when they collapsed, the rights were bought by FUNimation. They, however, later dubbed the movie & brought back the cast from the show, which included Johnny.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:16 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm I thought the dub of Trigun was handled by Pioneer?
Actually, it was originally licensed by Pioneer when they became Geneon, but when they collapsed, the rights were bought by FUNimation. They, however, later dubbed the movie & brought back the cast from the show, which included Johnny.
I'm pretty sure they only brought back Johnny.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:52 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:57 pm I'm pretty sure they only brought back Johnny.
You may be right, but I don't know. Certainly, they used their own voice talent for several characters from what I saw from the cast list on Wikipedia.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Johnny has actually done a fair bit of work for FUNi over the years, even with his being LA based. He was one of the leads in Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, he had a small part in the original FMA anime, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting. He hasn't had a major role with them in a long time though, that I'm aware of, so I can see why a lot of people would have forgotten.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:03 am

Now imagine if it was also JYB who's the new Broly...
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Who's up for voting for the most inane pro-Vic defense? Personally, I think this one has a real shot:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:34 pm

I'm not. Attention is what these guys want. The lawsuit's done anyway, so what's the point?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:34 pm I'm not. Attention is what these guys want. The lawsuit's done anyway, so what's the point?
Note that this isn't to insult you. You've done us all a huge favor by keeping us in the loop. It's just that at this point, the goals have shifted. The dudes on the other side were motivated by the idea that they'd actually shake things up, back when they still thought they'd win. Now, I think, their only motive (though they'd never admit it) is they've got a lot of anger they don't know what to do with, and are now looking for any new insult they can direct it towards.

Nick understands this. His comedy act falls apart the moment he runs out of new material, and he knows it. So, I'd advise just being as "boring" as possible. Don't ignore them outright (as that in itself is an offense), just be really boring!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 am

Technically speaking the case isn't over due to the appeal, but unless something extraordinary happens (like Beard actually consults himself rather than his Discord chat), the fat lady has only one last nail to put into the coffin of the last page of the music sheet she has to sing.

...okay that metaphor could have been better.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 am Technically speaking the case isn't over due to the appeal,
How long do these appeals usually take? I just want to have some laugh to watch them fail just like anything these "lawyers" do. And then watch Vic start a 2nd court case because he apparently wants to spend the rest of his life with them.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:12 am

Zinnia wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 am
KBABZ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 am Technically speaking the case isn't over due to the appeal,
How long do these appeals usually take? I just want to have some laugh to watch them fail just like anything these "lawyers" do. And then watch Vic start a 2nd court case because he apparently wants to spend the rest of his life with them.
According to this website, up to a year before the final judgement. This isn't because it takes a lot of time in the room (on the contrary, it's usually 30 minutes to an hour), it's mainly because it has to be placed on a scheduled date, because the appeal is independent of the case as far as scheduling is concerned.

From what I can gather, after the case is concluded the losing party has 30 days to file their appeal, and the judge may even set a 20 page limit (something I imagine Beard/Rekieta would have struggled with, haha). The winning party will have 30 days from that to file a response to the appeal, limited to 35 pages. Once the clerk approves the appeal, a hearing is placed on the court's calendar (which of course can vary wildly, hence the large amount of time it can take to actually get around to), and will take 30-60 minutes on the day (each side is only given a few opportunities to present their arguments). It's important to emphasize that an appeal hearing is only so that a judge can question the attorneys on both sides and verify the record of the original case, not to argue anything about the case itself or bring in new evidence (in other words, it's a fact-check, not a do-over of the entire case).

DISCLAIMER: The above information was done with a cursory Google search from someone with 0 legal experience or knowledge.

In my opinion, this sounds like an easy way for Beard/Rekieta to drag the case out even longer and drum up both support for themselves and pitchforks against Funimation, Sabat and Rial in particular.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:16 pm

For anyone curious on how the appeal process works, Greg breaks down the process on his podcast here at 58 minutes in. (Bear in mind that, as mentioned, this isn't Texas-specific -- it's just to give a general idea.)
Fionordequester wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 am
Fionordequester wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:34 pm I'm not. Attention is what these guys want. The lawsuit's done anyway, so what's the point?
Note that this isn't to insult you. You've done us all a huge favor by keeping us in the loop. It's just that at this point, the goals have shifted. The dudes on the other side were motivated by the idea that they'd actually shake things up, back when they still thought they'd win. Now, I think, their only motive (though they'd never admit it) is they've got a lot of anger they don't know what to do with, and are now looking for any new insult they can direct it towards.

Nick understands this. His comedy act falls apart the moment he runs out of new material, and he knows it. So, I'd advise just being as "boring" as possible. Don't ignore them outright (as that in itself is an offense), just be really boring!
Not offended at all -- I understand where you're coming from.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Vic and co. have filed the appeal. (And of course, they can't even get this right --- it's a preemptive filing; in other words, the sanction hearing has to occur first.)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 am

So he knows he's going to get sanctioned, then :lol: .

EDIT: Wait, nvm. I think the sanctions hearings are a customary procedure of victorious anti-SLAPP suits. Whoops.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm Vic and co. have filed the appeal. (And of course, they can't even get this right --- it's a preemptive filing; in other words, the sanction hearing has to occur first.)
What does that mean
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:16 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 am What does that mean
Beard's trying to appeal stuff that hasn't happened yet, and that's not how things work. So, it's another screw up for him.