Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:27 pm

I don't know about you, but I find many of the characters in this franchise to be hot, most notably GT Goten, Adult Gohan, Goku and Vegeta. I know they're just drawings, which is why I made this topic. Is being attracted to a dragon ball character considered weird or normal? I know i'm not the only one who's attracted to some of the characters in this franchise. For example, I know many who are attracted Bulma, Android 18, Android 17, Goku Black or Future Trunks.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Post by Zinnia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:36 pm

There's that one person who turned himself into real life Trunks. If it motivates you to stay in shape like the characters, then it shouldn't be any bad.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm attracted to Pan, mostly because she was my crush as a child, but even now i think she's very cute girl and TOEI clearly wanted her to be attractive character.

I'm also attracted to Videl, Kamin, Oceanus Shenron and Towa.

Is it weird? I don't know. If by "weird" you mean it's bad then no, it's not. by any means. Drawn characters resemble real life characters, you can easily tell which cartoon character is attractive and which isn't, you can easily tell which of them you'd like if they existed.

I'd say it's only bad if you actually prefer these characters over real life persons.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:56 pm

There's nothing wrong with being attracted to a fictional character, whether it be a videogame or an anime character. I find Zamasu very hot and nobody ever called me weird for that. It's also pretty common to discuss on the internet who's the hottest character in a certain show/videogame/movie/whatever, so really I'm not sure why it should be weird since it's a very common topic of discussion. But yeah, obviously there is a limit, and if you go past that limit people will find you weird. That's true for everything though.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:00 pm

you can really like a fictional character based on its design and personality is part of having a sense of art and that is normal

Of course everything has a certain limit ... you must not forget that they are fictional characters

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:15 pm

There is nothing wrong with being attracted to fictional characters or contexts. I myself am occasionally attracted to fictional characters myself, liking to self-insert as girl characters and also attracted to male characters, usually those voiced by Ono Daisuke and or who are twinks...and bara...! You should read Beautiful Fighting Girl by Saitou Tamaki as well as https://senshu-u.academia.edu/PatrickWGalbraith's essays and book, Moe Manifesto. They study Otaku and the attraction to fictional characters.

I for one love Broli from the new movie. Sure, I call him my Big Green Son, but I would totally fuck him. He's so cute and moe, gosh, I'm like, emotionally horny just thinking about him. Gokuu Black and Zamasu are also hot as fuck and I would probably fuck Kuririn (if he wasn't married) and maybe GT Goten?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm

As others have said, so long as you don't let it interfere with you in any real life way, it's perfectly fine to find an attraction to a Dragon Ball character, or any other fictional character really.

Hell, I have a literal ton of fictional character attractions that I've even listed in a gallery on Facebook, that as of last count was at like 260-ish (give or take a few dozen as I forget the exact number) entries. My fiance has her own list of fictional crushes. There's nothing wrong with it in any shape or form, unless (again) you let it take over your real life.

In terms of Dragon Ball specifically, my "waifus" would be Videl, Android 18, Bulma, Caulifla, and Cheelai. I used to have a mad crush on Pan too, as she was among my first anime crushes alongside Misty from Pokemon, but that one just felt a little too..."eh"...for me personally, as I got older, especially once I found out the character's true age in Japanese. I still love her as a character though (and will never understand the issues some fans have with her, given she really acts no different than say early Bulma), but I wouldn't call it an attraction anymore.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 pm

like a lot of things, it really just depends on how far you take it. like if your life becomes devoted to wanting to have a relationship with a fictional character or whatever, yeah that's obviously bad and extremely unhealthy, but there's nothing really wrong with thinking that a animated character or whatever is attractive, especially in a series like dragon ball where sexual humor has such a big part in the first 2 story arcs.

i've said this before but some of the first gay fan fiction i read when i started exploring my sexuality was about future trunks and adult gohan because those two characters had always been pretty attractive to me :lol:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Look, man.

Put Holo the Wise Wolf in a 22-year-old's body and I would wreck that chick until the sun explodes.

Just gotta make sure people in the eye-are-ells still do it for you, though.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Yeah, kinda. I get being attracted to a live action fictional character, but to a drawing? I don't see why or even how. That said, as long as it doesn't consume your life and it doesn't harm others.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Does it really matter whether or not something's weird? Dragon Ball is a weird show in general. You can certainly find animated characters aesthetically pleasing just so long as it doesn't consume you and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Just remember there will always be more attractive people out there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Being attracted to fictional characters in general is weird. Liking their design or personality and finding it appealing is one thing but actually wanting to fuck them?

You need a stern talking to. Sorry if I come off as 'mean' but that's just how I see it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 pm Being attracted to fictional characters in general is weird. Liking their design or personality and finding it appealing is one thing but actually wanting to fuck them?

You need a stern talking to. Sorry if I come off as 'mean' but that's just how I see it.
No, they don't need a stern talking to. There is nothing wrong with being attracted to fiction. Sexuality is a wide and vast thing and shaming a fellow user simply trying to understand their sexuality is disgusting.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:31 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 pm Being attracted to fictional characters in general is weird. Liking their design or personality and finding it appealing is one thing but actually wanting to fuck them?

Personally, I don't see it as any weirder than people who are attracted to celebrities. Your common person has about equally as much of a chance at meeting a celebrity and hitting it off with them in any sort of romantic and/or sexual way, but that hasn't stopped people from being attracted to or fantasizing about said celebrities for...well, basically as long as celebrities have been a thing. Hell, way back in the day they used to have to hide that they were married to appease fans, sort of akin to how Japanese idols sometimes have to do the same nowadays.

So yeah, being so into a character that you get upset when they end up paired with someone, and your thought is 'Oh no, but I wanted to be with them!'? That's potentially not the most healthy. But finding a fictional character attractive just on their own merits? There's nothing wrong with that in of itself.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pmThere is nothing wrong with bejng attracted to fiction.
True. But at the same time it's not something to be proud of either and revealing it to random people is a good way of being judged (luckily, we on Kanzenshuu don't discriminate).

These things are something you would talk to parents/guardians, close friends, professionals, etc. about.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Personally no, as long as you’re not too extreme with it. Like that one guy who married his body pillow.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:42 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pmThere is nothing wrong with bejng attracted to fiction.
True. But at the same time it's not something to be proud of either and revealing it to random people is a good way of being judged (luckily, we on Kanzenshuu don't discriminate).

These things are something you would talk to parents/guardians, close friends, professionals, etc. about.
"Don't be proud of your queerness and sexuality."
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:42 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm

"Don't be proud of your queerness and sexuality."
Exactly. Just be yourself and you'll be okay.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 pm

But it's sexual attraction to an inanimate object, essentially.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pmThese things are something you would talk to parents/guardians, close friends, professionals, etc. about.
I don't think it's anywhere near serious enough to warrant that. Fleetingly thinking "huh, Chi-chi's kind of hot" for a second during movie 1 isn't exactly the kind of thing I'd need to set up a therapy appointment for. I don't think there's anything pathological or problematic at all unless you're uninterested in real life people.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.