Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm In terms of Dragon Ball specifically, my "waifus" would be Videl, Android 18, Bulma, Caulifla, and Cheelai.
Ah, I See You're a Man of Culture As Well :D
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:44 pm I used to have a mad crush on Pan too, as she was among my first anime crushes alongside Misty from Pokemon, but that one just felt a little too..."eh"...for me personally, as I got older, especially once I found out the character's true age in Japanese. I still love her as a character though (and will never understand the issues some fans have with her, given she really acts no different than say early Bulma), but I wouldn't call it an attraction anymore.
well ... as we know there are always people who don't care about that ... it's a bit weird but I don't think it's condemnable either they are fictional characters

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:48 pm

I kind of find Bulma, Lunch in both her good and bad girl forms, No. 18 and Chi Chi attractive (though not to the level of a strong realistic crush or obsession) even though they are manga/anime characters and it doesn't feel that weird to me at all.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Dude...aren't you the guy that created topic on "Should Goku & Gohan be vegans"🤣🤣🤣 now this

If history has taught us anything. If there's One thing in life that is certain...it's that you can like anything😂😂😂or be attracted to anything

~Vijay

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Considering that fan service (of the sexual variety) has been a thing in the world of animation at least since the days of Betty Boop, it’s probably fair to say that there is an intention on the part of the artists/animators for people to think this stuff is hot. Dragon Ball is no stranger to this, although in the case of the manga, it’s significantly less prominent as time goes on.

Is it weird? I don’t know. Are you ashamed of it?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Vijay wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 pm Dude...aren't you the guy that created topic on "Should Goku & Gohan be vegans"🤣🤣🤣 now this

If history has taught us anything. If there's One thing in life that is certain...it's that you can like anything😂😂😂or be attracted to anything

~Vijay
Every now and then we get a user who seems set on making as many provocative threads as possible.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:29 am

Is finding fictional animated characters aesthetically pleasing weird? No.

Is calling a fictional character your waifu unironically and being in love with a fictional character weird and indicative of some developmental issues? Yes.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:06 am

On a purely psychological level humans relate and understand fictional characters (and "interact"...sort of) in a very similar way to other real people. It's perfectly sound that having a sexual or romantic attraction to a fictional character, even a cartoon, would happen. You can't really control what gets your dick hard anyway, and as far as I'm aware there's no conclusive reasoning as to it leading to anything dangerous.

What you don't want is obsession, an inability to differentiate fantasy and reality, or dear god, adopting a similar method to approaching people in real life the way anime characters do, or the way you approach the drawings you jerk off to. Anime fans are susceptible to isolation and loneliness, and when part of that comes with a sexual interest that can further isolate some for the stigma against it, it can send people spiraling into very circular influences and habits, which can lead to uncomfortable personality development at best and movement toward actively dangerous groups at worst.

So no, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it ("weird" is kind of irrelevant, Dragon Ball is inherently weird), but the level of intensity can be indicative of something worse.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pmThere is nothing wrong with bejng attracted to fiction.
True. But at the same time it's not something to be proud of either and revealing it to random people is a good way of being judged (luckily, we on Kanzenshuu don't discriminate).

These things are something you would talk to parents/guardians, close friends, professionals, etc. about.
Why you think you are in the position to tell what people can be proud of?

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:22 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:36 pm
Vijay wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 pm Dude...aren't you the guy that created topic on "Should Goku & Gohan be vegans"🤣🤣🤣 now this

~Vijay
Every now and then we get a user who seems set on making as many provocative threads as possible.
I'm not like that. I'm just sharing my general thoughts about things related to this franchise. I'm not trying to annoy, offend or anything like that to anyone on this site. If you don't like my topics, that's your problem. I admit my previous topic was stupid cause I didn't elaborate on my thoughts the way I should have. I'm sorry about that. In this thread I just asked a question that has been on my mind for a long time now and I'm happy that I got so many responses that claim it's okay to find fictional characters attractive.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:22 am

~Vijay
I'm not like that. I'm just sharing my general thoughts about things related to this franchise. I'm not trying to annoy, offend or anything like that to anyone on this site. If you don't like my topics, that's your problem. I admit my previous topic was stupid cause I didn't elaborate on my thoughts the way I should have. I'm sorry about that. In this thread I just asked a question that has been on my mind for a long time now and I'm happy that I got so many responses that claim it's okay to find fictional characters attractive.
Can I ask you something, why did you have this doubt? Like, I doubt someone made fun of you for being attracted to a fictional character, since that's a very normal thing.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am
Can I ask you something, why did you have this doubt? Like, I doubt someone made fun of you for being attracted to a fictional character, since that's a very normal thing.
My brother. Whenever I tell him that I find Goku and Vegeta attractive he laughs at me, and tells me that they're just drawings.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pmThere is nothing wrong with bejng attracted to fiction.
True. But at the same time it's not something to be proud of either and revealing it to random people is a good way of being judged (luckily, we on Kanzenshuu don't discriminate).

These things are something you would talk to parents/guardians, close friends, professionals, etc. about.
I don't. I'm just someone speaking from experience. TC can try and convince himself/herself that wanting to fuck Goku and Vegeta (essentially two drawings) is socially acceptable but it just doesn't work that way in the real world.

No need to sugarcoat it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:15 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am
My brother. Whenever I tell him that I find Goku and Vegeta attractive he laughs at me, and tells me that they're just drawings.
Dude....you crack me up...how old are u & ur brother? Who gave him the authority over you to dictate what u find attractive or interesting laughable...dats messed up

I personally like DBZ characters for their distinct personalities. Their fighting poses. And their power-ups. And the epic moments whatnot. They add so much value to me. I even started viewin myself as real life Goku. Bein kind-hearted, being fit mentally, spiritually & physically & bein perceived by others as dumb/idiot while fact is I'm simply innocent. I'm innocent but also smart enuf to not allow others exploit my kindness. So there ya go

Drawings? Look I'm in no position to judge ur brother for laughing at them bein mere drawings...but moderation is the key. You can like Goku, Veggie, Roshi, hell even Yajirobe😂😂😂 but there's no point in sharin it to guys that do not appreciate it. If ur brother is a practical man, and enjoys worldly enjoyments. So be it.

You can keep enjoying watchin ur fav show/characters

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:23 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 am

I don't. I'm just someone speaking from experience. TC can try and convince himself/herself that wanting to fuck Goku and Vegeta (essentially two drawings) is socially acceptable but it just doesn't work that way in the real world.

No need to sugarcoat it.
Who said this thought is socially unacceptable? Where are you from exactly?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 am I don't. I'm just someone speaking from experience. TC can try and convince himself/herself that wanting to fuck Goku and Vegeta (essentially two drawings) is socially acceptable but it just doesn't work that way in the real world.

No need to sugarcoat it.
Again, people have talked about having an attraction to fictional characters, especially drawn/animated ones, for years now. It's not even unique to anime - there's the entire 'controversy' over Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and even beyond that note, the entire character herself is 100% meant to be taken as attractive.

Why you seem to have such an issue with this phenomenon, I don't know, and I won't ask since for all I know, this 'experience' you speak of could be that same reason. But I stand firm by the idea that an attraction to a fictional character, in-of-itself, is not a bad thing - it's only if someone lets it take over their life that it becomes a bad thing, and that's true of anything and everything.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Shaming over sexuality is very prevalent. There's no reason to laugh at the topic creator, have you ever considered that they could be victims of emotional abuse? It's not easy for everyone to open up, especially regarding their sexuality.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:23 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 am

No need to sugarcoat it.
Who said this thought is socially unacceptable? Where are you from exactly?
United States of America
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 pm Again, people have talked about having an attraction to fictional characters, especially drawn/animated ones, for years now. It's not even unique to anime - there's the entire 'controversy' over Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and even beyond that note, the entire character herself is 100% meant to be taken as attractive.

Why you seem to have such an issue with this phenomenon, I don't know, and I won't ask since for all I know, this 'experience' you speak of could be that same reason. But I stand firm by the idea that an attraction to a fictional character, in-of-itself, is not a bad thing - it's only if someone lets it take over their life that it becomes a bad thing, and that's true of anything and everything.
When did I say it was a bad thing? I only said it was 'weird' and what's wrong with being 'weird'? Not everyone is wired the same way and if people give you shit for standing out well then fuck em. They don't make or break you.

Just don't wave that shit around like a flag and expect nobody to judge you for it.

I knew I was gonna offend some people by what I was gonna say but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:42 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm When did I say it was a bad thing? I only said it was 'weird' and what's wrong with being 'weird'? Not everyone is wired the same way and if people give you shit for standing out well then fuck em. They don't make or break you.

Just don't wave that shit around like a flag and expect nobody to judge you for it.

I knew I was gonna offend some people by what I was gonna say but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
So, this is only your opinion and not a social rule of any kind. I’m honestly baffled that someone takes issue with this matter.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:53 pmJust gotta make sure people in the eye-are-ells still do it for you, though.
Dr. Casey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:58 pmI don't think there's anything pathological or problematic at all unless you're uninterested in real life people.
Pretty much this.

Finding a cartoon drawing of a woman sexually attractive is just... whatever. Who cares? Most of us have all been "guilty" of that (for lack of a better word) at one time or other in life.

Its really only an issue, at least on just a raw personal/psychological/emotional level, if you're ONLY or predominantly attracted to cartoon drawings at the expense of real life, flesh and blood human beings. That's generally not particularly mentally or emotionally healthy when its taken to that much of an extreme. Its the kind of thing that's often seen with heavily withdrawn individuals who are starved of real interpersonal relationships and suffering extreme loneliness.

Or for that matter if most/all of the cartoon characters that you're sexually into are rendered as small children. That's also probably a clear sign that not all is well under the hood on a whole OTHER (and much, MUCH more serious) level.

Sadly though, anime fandom is pretty rife with both of these problems. Doesn't mean that anywhere near EVERYONE who's into anime has this kind of thing going on obviously: but at this point, its pretty much impossible to deny the correlation between extreme socially withdrawn isolation and emotional problems with connecting with other human beings (be it sexually, romantically, platonically, or otherwise), and that this is something that's been increasingly seen more and more within fandoms like that of anime for much of the past few decades now, and that it contributes an AWFUL lot to much of the toxicity within those fandoms.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:05 pm

I noticed no one has yet mentioned Vados on this thread... she's pretty cute.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147