"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 am

I was going to post this in the "continuation" topic, but the topic is closed.

TV Anime GeGeGe no Kitaro to Enter into Its Final Chapter "Nurarihyon Arc" in October

I don't know if this means something to DB, but...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:13 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 am I was going to post this in the "continuation" topic, but the topic is closed.

TV Anime GeGeGe no Kitaro to Enter into Its Final Chapter "Nurarihyon Arc" in October

But how long will the arc be?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" On-Going Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:14 am Fans are now not needed to keep the franchise alive.
I don't think it works like that. DBS: Broly literally exists because of the Internet and Broly's sheer popularity on it, and to some that movie is the best part of Super.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:14 am Fans are now not needed to keep the franchise alive.
I don't think it works like that. DBS: Broly literally exists because of the Internet and Broly's sheer popularity on it, and to some that movie is the best part of Super.
DBS: Broly is literally proving my statement, though. The official company is the one creating these products nowadays, continuing the manga and series. Beforehand, if you wanted any sort of continuation of Dragon Ball outside of GT, you had to rely on fanfiction and dōjinshi. It was Dragon Ball Z Abridged that rekindled quite a bit of the fandom amongst casual viewers. And so on.
Without these diehard fans, there'd have been no audience for Super and Toei wouldn't have bothered, that's true.
But I'm saying that, when we weren't getting anymore Dragon Ball from the mountain bird, fans made them some Dragon Ball instead.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:16 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:13 am
SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 am I was going to post this in the "continuation" topic, but the topic is closed.

But how long will the arc be?
No clues about that, as far as I know.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:00 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:01 am
Xeogran wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am
DBS: Broly is literally proving my statement, though. The official company is the one creating these products nowadays, continuing the manga and series
We must be on a misunderstanding then. I'm saying that movie wouldn't exist if not for the fandom in the first place, because Broly wouldn't get canonized without his insane popularity.

Fans are always needed to keep a franchise alive.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Kitaro probably won't end before March 2020, so whatever takes the time slot it will debut April 2020.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:58 pm

I remember last year that Super's panel for Jump Festa 2019 was revealed in September. Is it possible it won't have anything at this year's Jump Festa? Yeah I'm still hoping there's no announcement for an anime and only a new finale movie :) .

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:00 am

If there has nothing been announced at Jump Festa in December, the consensus within the fandom stays the same an anime is in the works as we speak and will return anytime soon?

The first series were announced on a pretty random day in 2015. But that decision was made pretty last moment after the sudden success of the first two movies. Main stage to announce a new anime for 2020 that is decently planned, still remains Jump Festa.

TOEI generally adverts things chronologically. If the next thing we get are teasers or more information about the movie, the next thing concerning the canon timeline will probably be a movie. If it's about the anime, it will probably start before the movie. If the next thing is in effect a movie, chances are big we'll go into a movie only formula and the anime does not return the coming years. TOEI and Bandai could decide they have enough revenues for the franchise to float on movies, manga, games, merchandise alone. The first anime run of DBS was needed to create a hype, in order to consolidate on what the first two movies had created.

But does TOEI need to air a full blown anime constantly? For One Piece TOEI needs to provide an anime to satisfy the Japanese market. DBS is more aimed at the international market, so if it can produce blockbusters like Broly, it does not necessarily need the anime to promote the rest of the merchandise worldwide. Of course most fans want the anime back, but it also takes the most resources to produce.
The thing that brings in money directly are ticket sales, not the viewings from people all over the world by streaming. The other revenues are mostly from merchandise, games ... As long as the cash cow keeps giving enough from these revenues, TOEI may not further invest more than needed.

DB is such a big franchise and money is such a vital element, that this decision isn't going to be made on sentiment alone. They could as well decide to bring the anime back once the franchise risks to run out of money and popularity.

Yes, TOEI could still be making the anime as we speak. But it would be the best kept "secret" since Loch Ness. Why would they publicly deny Supers return over and over again? This while they could as well give us teasers (as they did with Broly when it was still in early production) and create some hype for their new investment, which would actually make sense from a marketing view?
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am

The movie route would kill the hype. People won't care as much if there isn't an anime to watch between the films.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am The movie route would kill the hype. People won't care as much if there isn't an anime to watch between the films.
For the time being, i don't think sales are dropping, in the contrary. Next year we have the game, that will give a new boost.
The new movie won't be around before end 2020. If there is nothing between the game and the movie, sales could be somehow dropping or stagnating. If needed, they could launch a new anime after the movie, to create a new (sales) hype. They could always decide to bring the anime back based on sales numbers.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Going movie-only would be a mistake in my opinion. Especially when they could have both a TV series and movies as they do with One Piece, which also gets TV specials. And it’s undeniable that it was thanks to Super being a TV show that Dragon Ball was able to regain so much popularity and surpass One Piece’s sales too to become the biggest moneymaker for Toei and Bandai.

Unfortunately I think Toei have their hands tied down due to Toriyama being the one who ultimately has the last word on these things. And as they said in a interview before Broly’s movie, he prefers to write movie scripts as it’s easier for him.
I bet it’s less work too and this way he can be sure the quality is the highest and that his scripts get adapted word by word. Can’t really blame him after the disaster Super was, but it would be such a shame to only get movies. And if the next one is coming up in the end of 2020 it would be a 2 year wait since Broly - the same wait we had between Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. That wait killed the immense hype Battle of Gods generated, at least to me.
And considering how it’s now been almost a year since Broly came out in the theaters, and we haven’t received any hint about Dragon Ball’s future except for Toyotaro’s manga and a comment about a future movie, I am starting to believe that they will really go movie-only.
But then, why wouldn’t they animate the current arc in the manga? And will that arc be filler? What will happen after it, will Toyotaro again skip the movie to do another filler arc or will the manga just end too?

Dragon Ball is in such a weird situation right now. I hope they will soon clear things up.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:49 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 pm Going movie-only would be a mistake in my opinion. Especially when they could have both a TV series and movies as they do with One Piece, which also gets TV specials. And it’s undeniable that it was thanks to Super being a TV show that Dragon Ball was able to regain so much popularity and surpass One Piece’s sales too to become the biggest moneymaker for Toei and Bandai.

This was not my wishful thinking, nor what i would do as i were TOEI's management.

What extra effort would Toriyama have to do other than to make the manga with Toyotaro, which he is doing in the form of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc, and take a quick look at the script for the anime? The seeds are already there.

If i were head of TOEI management and had Toriyamas approval, i personally would make a new, better animated en better written anime series. We have the new animation and art style, which has been praised by fans. And there is lot's of source material as the manga is way ahead. You can combine those ingredients to give the revival an even bigger boost. Nobody says it's gonna last forever.
I would have to put more effort in it, but a new anime does also mean new toys, new blu-rays, new games ...
Or they could choose the easy path to more money. It's all a matter how much you are wanting to invest.

They have the new art style, enough source material and time to prepare. So what are they waiting for?

We can't see behind the scenes at TOEI but only guess what the reason is we still haven't gotten any announcement. It's remarkable for an anime with that calibar, which should have gone pre-production in october 2018, that we haven't gotten teasers or a release date yet.

Many YouTubers (not Ajay, other people) keep on stating the anime will return and is in the making. But on what rationale is that conclusion based? Based on the same sources that have stated the anime will return during 2019? They have proven to be unreliable to say the least.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:49 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 pm Going movie-only would be a mistake in my opinion. Especially when they could have both a TV series and movies as they do with One Piece, which also gets TV specials. And it’s undeniable that it was thanks to Super being a TV show that Dragon Ball was able to regain so much popularity and surpass One Piece’s sales too to become the biggest moneymaker for Toei and Bandai.

This was not my wishful thinking, nor what i would do as i were TOEI's management.

What extra effort would Toriyama have to do other than to make the manga with Toyotaro, which he is doing in the form of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc, and take a quick look at the script for the anime? The seeds are already there.

If i were head of TOEI management and had Toriyamas approval, i personally would make a new, better animated en better written anime series. We have the new animation and art style, which has been praised by fans. And there is lot's of source material as the manga is way ahead. You can combine those ingredients to give the revival an even bigger boost. Nobody says it's gonna last forever.
I would have to put more effort in it, but a new anime does also mean new toys, new blu-rays, new games ...
Or they could choose the easy path to more money. It's all a matter how much you are wanting to invest.

They have the new art style, enough source material and time to prepare. So what are they waiting for?

We can't see behind the scenes at TOEI but only guess what the reason is we still haven't gotten any announcement. It's remarkable for an anime with that calibar, which should have gone pre-production in october 2018, that we haven't gotten teasers or a release date yet.

Many YouTubers (not Ajay, other people) keep on stating the anime will return and is in the making. But on what rationale is that conclusion based? Based on the same sources that have stated the anime will return during 2019? They have proven to be unreliable to say the least.
I know it’s not what you would do. But it’s what I think Toei is doing, or else I can’t understand why they have been so silent.

I am afraid Toriyama was so angry with the quality of Super’s anime that he decided it had to end for good.
A rumor circulated coming from a Japanese guy with insider sources stating that Toriyama was so mad that he almost dropped entirely out of Super and had to be convinced back by Toei giving him ideas for Future Trunks Arc.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked him to write one more arc (the Tournament of Power) as they figured out the plans for the new movie. Which coincidentally had an art style and color palette much closer to Toriyama’s manga, which was probably all either his idea or something done to please him.

I can’t think of any other reason besides “Toriyama does not want to” as to why Toei still hasn’t released a new Dragon Ball anime after 1 year, or why it probably won’t in the near future.
Which is all very weird because the manga is still going on although it’s doing an arc where Toriyama has seemingly little input besides checking it... so what will be of the Galactic Prisoner arc if Toriyama is writing a new movie of his own set after Broly? The recent developments of the arc don’t really give out filler vibes anymore and it’s starting to feel like an important one in the grand scheme of things for what concerns Goku and Vegeta developing as martial artists.

Maybe once the Moro arc will be fully over Toei will get the greenlight to adapt it as is? It could be a possibility - maybe Toriyama doesn’t trust Toei anymore to write stuff on their own, but still trusts Toyotaro’s writing.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:33 pm

And now I guess we're reverting to doom and gloom.

Toei just suddenly announced in July the name and other details of a Sailor Moon movie that was first announced like almost 5 years ago. They're weird sometimes for essentially no reason.

Calm down.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:49 pm

I know it’s not what you would do. But it’s what I think Toei is doing, or else I can’t understand why they have been so silent.

I am afraid Toriyama was so angry with the quality of Super’s anime that he decided it had to end for good.
A rumor circulated coming from a Japanese guy with insider sources stating that Toriyama was so mad that he almost dropped entirely out of Super and had to be convinced back by Toei giving him ideas for Future Trunks Arc.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked him to write one more arc (the Tournament of Power) as they figured out the plans for the new movie. Which coincidentally had an art style and color palette much closer to Toriyama’s manga, which was probably all either his idea or something done to please him.

I can’t think of any other reason besides “Toriyama does not want to” as to why Toei still hasn’t released a new Dragon Ball anime after 1 year, or why it probably won’t in the near future.
Which is all very weird because the manga is still going on although it’s doing an arc where Toriyama has seemingly little input besides checking it... so what will be of the Galactic Prisoner arc if Toriyama is writing a new movie of his own set after Broly? The recent developments of the arc don’t really give out filler vibes anymore and it’s starting to feel like an important one in the grand scheme of things for what concerns Goku and Vegeta developing as martial artists.

Maybe once the Moro arc will be fully over Toei will get the greenlight to adapt it as is? It could be a possibility - maybe Toriyama doesn’t trust Toei anymore to write stuff on their own, but still trusts Toyotaro’s writing.

I think we kinda indicate the same thing, but with different explainations. Fair enough. Nobody knows what's exactly going on.
There is no reason to be negative, but no reason to be utterly positive either concerning the animes immediate return untill we get an official announcement. It's still a possibility, but no certitude.
The thought an anime is waiting around the corner, without any proof for it, only leads to further disappointment within the fandom each time a major exposition / event takes place.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm

So is Super going to get any content announced during Jump Festa? I've seen the slots and everything but this secret panel has been filled up.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm So is Super going to get any content announced during Jump Festa? I've seen the slots and everything but this secret panel has been filled up.
Did the full schedule come out yet? I've only seen this list but it only video games and not all the events:
https://gematsu.com/event/jump-festa-2020

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm So is Super going to get any content announced during Jump Festa? I've seen the slots and everything but this secret panel has been filled up.
Did the full schedule come out yet? I've only seen this list but it only video games and not all the events:
https://twitter.com/ShonenSalto/status/ ... 2108549120

Most of the comments are torn between something called "Jujutsu kaisen" and 2uper.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Nothing rational indicates a new Super anime is going to be announced anytime soon, other than Youtubers who don't know nothing about the franchise and are desperately horny for clickbait.