Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:58 pm
SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pmDon't think so. It makes the story of the old Broly movie better while puts it in the canon without big incoherences or troubles.
You really think a mistake (namely years) in time placement is not a "big incoherences or troubles"?
Are you talking about they adapt the Dragon Ball Minus manga to the animation? Witch actually changed Goku's age if I'm not wrong.

Well, Baby Goku living with Old Grandpa Gohan was never something in the manga if I'm not wrong.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pmAre you talking about they adapt the Dragon Ball Minus manga to the animation? Witch actually changed Goku's age if I'm not wrong.

Well, Baby Goku living with Old Grandpa Gohan was never something in the manga if I'm not wrong.
I'm talking about the "41 years ago" subtitle that appears right in the beginning of the movie, which is completely wrong. Are you okay with that? Do you really think that doesn't cause lots of problems?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm
SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pmAre you talking about they adapt the Dragon Ball Minus manga to the animation? Witch actually changed Goku's age if I'm not wrong.

I'm talking about the "41 years ago" subtitle that appears right in the beginning of the movie, which is completely wrong. Are you okay with that? Do you really think that doesn't cause lots of problems?
Now that you talked about it, I need to re-watch to know.
But an anime retelling of the story could fix it, I think.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 05, 2019 4:18 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pmBut an anime retelling of the story could fix it, I think.
Or destroys even more, just like there is an official information stating that the retellings did start six months after Majin Buu saga.

Anyway, time placement is a big deal, we've been lucky that even with new information introduced these days, we could round it up to work (mostly...). However, that "41 years ago" is completely off and cannot be considered by any means, unless, of course, you don't mind following a totally screwed timeline.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 am

Imo calling something 'overrated' is such a lazy, bottom of the barrel criticism. Which shows your dislike of a product comes from nothing that could be in the form of constructive criticism, it's just that you have a problem with other people enjoying things.

As for this thread, no it is not. DBS Broly is one of the greatest things to happen to the Dragon Ball franchise in a long time, it's an entertaining, spectacularly animated feast for the eyes with a lot of replay value.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am

I loved the movie but I have a question for everyone: why does it matter if something is 'overrated'?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Mon May 06, 2019 10:34 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am I loved the movie but I have a question for everyone: why does it matter if something is 'overrated'?
I guess the idea is that a person may not like something that other people mostly like, so to them it's overrated. Like The Dark Knight is considered one of the best comic book films of all time but some people disagree and see it as overrated. But I think saying something is overrated is a bit cheap of a criticism if it has nothing to back it up beyond personal gripes, some things are genuinely bad that people like because it's "popular" and the good thing is that there are people who give good criticism as to why that "popular" thing is bad. I really loved the Super Broly film but I would understand why someone may think it's not that great and I also have addressed some criticisms people had on the story like some people thinking the prelude in the past was a waste of time but I put why the past section of the film is actually one of the most important and main themes of the film and without it the theme wouldn't come across.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri May 24, 2019 4:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am I loved the movie but I have a question for everyone: why does it matter if something is 'overrated'?
Saying something is "overrated" is basically saying: "Stop liking this thing more than me!"
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:18 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:58 pm I honestly don't think OG Broly was that bad.
You have to read between lines. He was a psychopath born with raw monstrous strenght and PTSD because of King Vegeta attempting to kill him and his father.
His psychotic tendencies plus his PTSD were triggered with an irritating sound Broly kept hearing over and over, Goku's crying.
The crying motivation actually adds to the "psychotic monster" flavour if you see it this way.
I mean it's not "best character ever" material, like at all, but it's somehow intriguing, even disturbing.

New Broly is... what? A dude with unexplained massive power who is very gentle, but forced to wear a shock collar because his father has some honestly understandable reasons to make him wear that. The movie threats these motivations as nothing but abuse.
He has anger issues and has never seen the world or interacted with anybody. Ok.
I can relate with the "pureness" side, but the rest seems awfully generic, constructed in a way to make you artificially sympathize with the character.

I would've preferred new Broly if he had the qualities of the new one + the psychotic tendencies of the old one. A greyer character, a much more compelling one.
This right here so much, like the movie wants you to sympathise with this new Broly but nothing about him is sympathetic at all especially in comparison with the old one. Old Broly was stabbed as a baby and left on a dying planet all cause he was strong while new Broly was simply sent to an vicious planet for being stronger than Vegeta as a baby who mind you was already stronger than anything on the planet anyway. I can honestly say I feel for the old Broly as his backstory is way more brutal than new Brolys kid friendly one.

Edit: Also I do think the Super Broly movie is overrated if you couldn't tell by my post.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Potara-Warrior96 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:18 pm -snip-
I also partially don't like the unending sea of empathy Cheelai and Lemo have for him.
Like I appreciate them being lighter, chillier characters than the usual DB cast, and I appreciate that they're capable of giving sympathy to Broly just because. It's very human and relatable. But having them actually going to live with Broly after everything is said and done is too much.
Not to mention, the constant reminder of, "he's a poor guy" by Cheelai. Ugh. One time would've sufficed.

The ideal Broly, at least to me, would've been still stabbed by king Vegeta, would have still been triggered by weird things instead of just random fits of rage (maybe make it less cryptic/odd than Kakaroth's crying) and would've scared, at least a bit, Cheelai and Lemo, implying Paragus had some reasons to give him electroshock therapy after all.
This way we keep the interesting PTSD facet, the new sympathetic sides without them being too forced, and we add a "walking bomb" vibe to him.

Maybe what I don't like, at the core, is Toriyama sugar coating some interesting facets of the original character, like he already did with Bardock.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 pm
Potara-Warrior96 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:18 pm -snip-
I also partially don't like the unending sea of empathy Cheelai and Lemo have for him.
Like I appreciate them being lighter, chillier characters than the usual DB cast, and I appreciate that they're capable of giving sympathy to Broly just because. It's very human and relatable. But having them actually going to live with Broly after everything is said and done is too much.
Not to mention, the constant reminder of, "he's a poor guy" by Cheelai. Ugh. One time would've sufficed.

The ideal Broly, at least to me, would've been still stabbed by king Vegeta, would have still been triggered by weird things instead of just random fits of rage (maybe make it less cryptic/odd than Kakaroth's crying) and would've scared, at least a bit, Cheelai and Lemo, implying Paragus had some reasons to give him electroshock therapy after all.
This way we keep the interesting PTSD facet, the new sympathetic sides without them being too forced, and we add a "walking bomb" vibe to him.

Maybe what I don't like, at the core, is Toriyama sugar coating some interesting facets of the original character, like he already did with Bardock.
I do the same although my rework doesn't really change much from the original(hes already shown to possess a scar on his abdomen from when he was stabbed much like in 2nd coming). Mind you it'd also be a total rewrite of the future Trunks story post cell-saga. I don't want to derail the thread so I'll pm if you're ok with that.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 pm

I'd say its not overrated but like many things like this its a matter of opinion. And this is an opinion I don't particularly care for.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:40 am

Overrated? Don't know.

Incomplete? Yes. On re-examination of it, it feels like entire chunks of the story is simply missing. Maybe it was knowing Toriyama's original script would have made it about 3 hours, but yeah. The first part, on Planet Vegeta, was fine. Its after that where it feels rushed or missing scenes.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:31 am

@Potara-Warrior96: sure! Go ahead :D

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:11 am

Overall it probably is but compared to the other Dragon Ball movies it's definitely in the top 3 or 5.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:40 pm

I do agree its a bit rushed and has some flaws but overall its a good film.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Considering it's the first overall decent thing coming out for Dragon Ball since Battle of Gods, I can't blame some for praising it. Even with some aspects of it that I don't like, I enjoyed it.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:00 am

Everyone has answered already, but I'd like to throw in my two cents.

I think that there are 3 things this movie has going for it. The first is that Broly is in it, and for reasons I never understood he's an American favorite. Second is the animation which is the best the franchise has ever had to the point that it won awards (I think) before it even came out. Last is the new art style that everyone loves. In terms of story it's nothing amazing, but that's Dragon Ball. We're here for action, not something like The Shawshank Redemption.

I think the movie might have been better off skipping the adaption of DB Minus since it didn't really add anything new. It merely animated the chapter. This movie being 1 hr 45 min could have used some trimming in the beginning, I think. But the best part is the fighting. The choreography for Goku & Vegeta vs Broly, then Gogeta vs Broly, is top notch. I love it.

That said, Resurrection 'F' is still my favorite of the 3 new movies. No idea why, I just love it.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:43 pm

The adventures of Cheelai and Lemo should have been the whole movie, lol.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:04 pm

It deserves its praise, but i don't think 'it's obviously the best DB-movie ever' for everyone.
I understand why some call it the best DB-movie ever (because of the animation), but i also understand why people still prefer BOG (because of the story).

Character development (Broly) ok for a movie.
Animation-wise indeed the best DB-movie ever.
I didn't like the CGI-battle in the midpart though. They should use it for backgrounds, objects ... not characters or complete battles.
It was less bothersome as in ROF but still an eyesore.