The Funimation Path To Power Credits

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The Funimation Path To Power Credits

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 pm

I wanted to see the heartwarming picture of Bulma and Goku from the final credits roll of that movie again and I got my wish...but not before seeing all the beautiful artwork in a tacky little box while the English credits took almost all of the screen. Oh Joy.

Not to mention the credits are WRONG in the case of the Japanese version. It says all the classic Dragon Ball OG credit big names like Shunsuke Kikuchi and the composers and lyricists of the OG Opening and ending... forgetting that those people DIDNT EVEN WORK IN THE FRIGGING MOVIE. GENIUSES.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The Funimation Path To Power Credits

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:19 pm

What are you talking about? I have the DVD and they (admittedly rather uncharacteristically) left the end credits as is in Japanese, much like in Mystical Adventure. The only movies where they did the screen crunching thing you speak of are Tree of Might, Lord Slug, and Wrath of the Dragon.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm

I cant link to the video I saw as its pretty much the entire movie uncut but I did see it. I'll PM you if you need proof.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Busted out my Slimpack copy of Path to Power and can confirm it appeared as Valerius Dover describes: Fullscreen untranslated Japanese credits, subtitles only for the lyrics of Dan Dan.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Fuck. Then I take it back. I can still send you both the video to show I at least saw it the way I did.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:54 pm

The earliest DVD pressings had the angle 1 use the screen-crush Cure Draggon 255 describes; the original Japanese credits were featured as angle 2.

Seems they did away with that in the re-releases.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:18 pm

THANK YOU! I thought I was going to end up looking like a moron!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Oh, sorry, didn't mean for it to come out that way. I believed you, I just figured you had ended up with a bootleg or something.

Learned something new, I guess. Since we're on the topic, any similar differences in the other movies' remastered editions, or is this the only one where they changed it later on?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for believing in me and not thinking I'm a moron, hehehe. You are really nice.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:23 pm Since we're on the topic, any similar differences in the other movies' remastered editions, or is this the only one where they changed it later on?
  • Movies 2's original DVD had the '94 dub opening and closing theme song, with the ending animation hilariously sped up to fit. The last line of the dub, which goes over the opening drumbeat, is actually missing from the remastered DVD. The Japanese version is actually encoded on this disc as an entirely separate title.
  • Movie 2's title was originally re-rendered in English, but is left in Japanese for the remaster.
  • The original Movie 3 is missing its title card in English (as in, there's a jump cut to the opening where it should be).
  • Movie 3's original DVD covered up the Japanese credits with English one; the opening was partly substituted with screenshots and the ending has a bright blue bar across half the screen. The unaltered Japanese was a branching option and (like movie 4) the remaster uses the English title but leaves the credits in Japanese (with no English credits other than the disc authoring slide).

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Strikes me as really odd they would leave it in Japanese, it's not like the credits are animated they're still images, I know that for Fusion Reborn they have proper English credits...oh well.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:07 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 pm Strikes me as really odd they would leave it in Japanese, it's not like the credits are animated they're still images, I know that for Fusion Reborn they have proper English credits...oh well.
It's worth pointing out that the credit text scrolls over the artwork displayed behind it!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:07 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 pm Strikes me as really odd they would leave it in Japanese, it's not like the credits are animated they're still images, I know that for Fusion Reborn they have proper English credits...oh well.
It's worth pointing out that the credit text scrolls over the artwork displayed behind it!
Right, but the text does that in Fusion Reborn as well. Mind you the images go by way faster in PtP so that might have made it more difficult to make a textless version. Or maybe FUNi didn't care as much because Fusion Reborn is a Z movies and PtP isn't, and they (annoyingly) seem to prioritize Z.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 am

The credits squeezing, along with the episode/movie re-naming, feels to me like something that made much more sense when they used multiple angles but then got grandfathered in without much thought when the "remasters" were released without that feature.