Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:56 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm Screenshots from the Dragon Ball bluray got released
Not necessarily bad, but it's clearly a DVD upscale. I don't know how much better it'll look in motion, but meh. Still, I kinda prefer this over FUNi's bullshit.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:56 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm Screenshots from the Dragon Ball bluray got released
Not necessarily bad, but it's clearly a DVD upscale. I don't know how much better it'll look in motion, but meh. Still, I kinda prefer this over FUNi's bullshit.
Which version of FUNimation? Blue bricks or the volumes?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:06 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:05 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:56 pm
Which version of FUNimation? Blue bricks or the volumes?
I meant the Z bullshit.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Bumped up the DB Blu-Ray thread, and included the baffling interlaced DVD images.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Said this in that thread, but I didn't even notice before how the backgrounds have been DVNR'd to look like water colors. What the fuck?

spaceace998

Post by spaceace998 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 pm

Longtime lurker and I don't post much. Thought it might interest some of you I got my shipping confirmation for the DBZ set about an hour ago. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it and see the packaging. Hopefully the video quality doesn't end up too terrible 😅
No more blah blah blah! - Captain Kirk

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Got my shipping notification too!

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm

spaceace998 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 pm Longtime lurker and I don't post much. Thought it might interest some of you I got my shipping confirmation for the DBZ set about an hour ago. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it and see the packaging. Hopefully the video quality doesn't end up too terrible 😅
Please post a picture so we can all see it. Blackout your email and what not but I wanna see! I haven't got any email yet!

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
spaceace998 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 pm Longtime lurker and I don't post much. Thought it might interest some of you I got my shipping confirmation for the DBZ set about an hour ago. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it and see the packaging. Hopefully the video quality doesn't end up too terrible 😅
Please post a picture so we can all see it. Blackout your email and what not but I wanna see! I haven't got any email yet!
It's kinda hard to do that since it's mostly personal information.

It provides a tracking number, shipping info, payment method, shipping method, item description, and a brief thanks. Nothing too special.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm
It's kinda hard to do that since it's mostly personal information.

It provides a tracking number, shipping info, payment method, shipping method, item description, and a brief thanks. Nothing too special.
True my bad, also mine just shipped! WOO!

spaceace998

Post by spaceace998 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Not gonna lie, I definitely was surprised it was shipping already since there was no news or info other than they were hoping to ship by the end of the year, and the original release date still wasn't until November 5. Hopefully I'll have mine tomorrow or Friday, I got the 1-day shipping.
No more blah blah blah! - Captain Kirk

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am

Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 am

I want to sig that! Can I?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:25 am

I legit at least wanna see the packaging & the disc arts, even though the episodes are presented very poorly.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 am I want to sig that! Can I?
Sure :).
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:54 pm
https://twitter.com/SelectaVision/statu ... 1734944768
1) Wrong thread

2) Why the fuck do we not get this in the USA?!
Why would you want this upscaled degrained garbage?
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:08 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
Can we stop pretending like Funimation makes these decisions based on the fans and not because they, themselves just don't get it? Nobody asked for any of their bad releases ahead of time; those were all their own decisions. And it's not like Toei is doing any more of a service to the series.

So, it's our (I also bought this set) prerogative to buy this set for whichever reason we have and whether we did or didn't, literally nothing would change. If this thing had zero preorders, they wouldn't go, "Oh my god, what have we done? We need to revive the Level Sets!" It might go the other way and they could've thought that there was no market left in the series at all. Fans blaming other fans for Funimation's business practices is the lamest attempt at dealing with Funimation's bad choices that I've ever seen. Funimation doesn't give a crap about the fans' opinions, so let's go blaming other fans for buying their stuff! It's pathetic.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 am

I know a lot of people are disgruntled. But there are a small minority of people like myself that are generally excited.

I do not own the dragon boxes, and I want to watch dbz in the highest quality possible in 4:3. The 16:9 releases are unwatchable to me. I have used kai as my definitive release. And this is a small upgrade we agree but still an upgrade. I no longer have to watch condensed dbz kai or final chapters widescreen. In hopefully less than a a week i can watch the whole show in blu-ray 4:3. Celebrate small victories. And for everyone else, you have dragon box.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 am

Agreed. Some of us are happy that we are getting a 4:3 release. We are allowed to be interested and excited. This could very well be the best english release we get bc I dont see Toei remastering the whole series anytime soon which could be licensed. Some of these frieza saga episodes are very hard to come by in unedited 4:3. Plus we can atleast all look forward to the comparisons.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:04 pm

Yeah, while I am 100% in the camp that says this set is not as much of an improvement as it could have been I can't fault the people who ordered it just to have a 4:3 DBZ release, and especially not those who haven't owned the series yet.

It's a tricky one because without the latter this set could have easily become an even bigger failure sales wise, and Funimation could have just as easily thrown the blame on the fans saying no one wanted 4:3. Then again there are some collectors who just buy everything and they could easily be taken advantage of.

Who knows. Maybe we will get this set repackaged into smaller collections down the line to replace the Season Blu-Rays as the product for the general market and we will just get 4:3 releases from now on. If 16:9 is phased out for the old series that will at least be something done right.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: