Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:16 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 am Bro, people are JUST receiving these & a lot of us didn't buy this garbage. Give it a few days, will ya? After that, THEN this statement will hold any sort of water under scrutiny.
I don't even understand this post. I wasn't posing an argument, there really isn't anything to debunk in my complaint. I think unboxing videos are stupid, there really isn't anything substantive to consider under 'scrutiny'.

But sure let me know in a few days whether my post survives whatever forensic analysis you think it merits.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:27 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:16 am
Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 am Bro, people are JUST receiving these & a lot of us didn't buy this garbage. Give it a few days, will ya? After that, THEN this statement will hold any sort of water under scrutiny.
I don't even understand this post. I wasn't posing an argument, there really isn't anything to debunk in my complaint. I think unboxing videos are stupid, there really isn't anything substantive to consider under 'scrutiny'.

But sure let me know in a few days whether my post survives whatever forensic analysis you think it merits.
What I was getting at is that unboxing videos are par for the course for new releases as known as this one. Considering this release was limited to 6,000 copies at max & won't get a reprinting, I'd say unboxings to show off the packaging makes sense to have in a thread like this. And, from what I saw, the packaging is really good, though the episode spacings on the discs are clearly indicative of an upscale over an actual HD remaster & are heavily based on the season BRs. But, anyways, unboxing videos are easy to make & easy to watch. Doesn't matter if you hate them, it helps in cases like this.

When it comes to screencaps, ripping discs, especially BRs, takes time & watching through select episodes for moments to take said screencaps takes a LOT more time. I don't know why you would've expected screencaps this early after we JUST got confirmation that the things shipped, but I'm not you. YOu'll see screencaps or links to them posted here in the next several days, so calm your jets, dude. Your reaction was a bit extreme.

Also, separate from this, someone in the comments of that video told me that someone said to them that FUNi might've added fake grain to the images, or that they noticed grain & suspected it was that. We'll know once people start reviewing it &/or start posting clips for sure on that one.

Also, if no one saw the video FUNi uploaded to Twitter several weeks ago to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Goku going Super Saiyan for the first time in the dub, or couldn't really tell the quality of it, here's someone's upload of the clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muuedozz6qY

God, the dub & the Falconer score fucking SUCK!

Also, found this GEM of a trailer someone uploaded in HD from when they were first rereleasing the show & movies a decade ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DAFK5FVUTA
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:18 am

I do like the packaging but I feel like the blu ray discs will get damaged with the way they are stored in basically a cardboard sleeve. I know blu ray are more durable but still. My rock the dragon set has a similar way to store the discs and they have some slight scratches even though I've been careful and have only watched them once or twice.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 am

The packaging is good, but its a lot of shelf space for what will not be the definitive DBZ home release.

The artbook was better than I expected. If it pops up on eBay I might buy it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 am The packaging is good, but its a lot of shelf space for what will not be the definitive DBZ home release.

The artbook was better than I expected. If it pops up on eBay I might buy it.
I was surprised how small the BluRay box was. I thought it was going to be massive, which is one of the reasons I canceled it.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:26 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:27 am Also, separate from this, someone in the comments of that video told me that someone said to them that FUNi might've added fake grain to the images, or that they noticed grain & suspected it was that. We'll know once people start reviewing it &/or start posting clips for sure on that one.
They did this with Cowboy Bebop, de-graining/DNRing it to "clean it up" and then adding back artificial grain to try to make it look as if they hadn't / still have it resemble actual film.

Funi being Funi.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I’ll be one of those guys that sells all of the extras on ebay. The figure, artbook etc. i have no where to store that.

Mine shipped and says arriving by Nov 3rd!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Okay so here are my first impressions, I got mine too. I don’t have access to a proper computer with a disc player so sadly I can’t do screenshots.

The video quality seems okay to me. There’s definitely film grain. I don’t have the Level sets to compare the two. It doesn’t really appear all that washed out. The audio quality (Japanese audio, I don’t really care about the dub except for Toonami nostalgia) seems better than I remember. It’s absolutely not broadcast audio but it sounds...I don’t know, clearer? When I have time I pop in one of my Dragon Box discs to compare, it may just be in my head.

The packaging, in my opinion, is atrocious. Cool presentation, terrible execution. I hate cardboard sleeves, I absolutely despise them with a passion. When I found out they were cardboard sleeves, imagine Dwight’s reaction when Jim becomes co-manager, that was my reaction. They scratch discs and are hard to remove, my discs do have some light scratches here and there because of these. Why they couldn’t just do regular cases I don’t know. I have a shit ton of spare empty Blu-ray cases, so I’ll actually be keeping these in those instead.

Art book is disappointing, figure is pretty cool though.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I asked on Reddit and found out I am not the only one who received a wrong tracking number in the E-Mail. Instead I got the Airport Label ID from where it is shipping from. So I am unable to track my package right now, It's still shipping I just can't follow it.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:40 pm The video quality seems okay to me. There’s definitely film grain.
Film grain doesn't mean it hasn't been DNR'd really badly. If you watch Kai from a Blu-ray, there's definitely grain, but the picture's still so blurry it's practically standard-def.
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:40 pm I don’t have the Level sets to compare the two. It doesn’t really appear all that washed out.
Here are a couple of screenshots of the Levels from episode 2, and one from episode 17.
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:40 pm The audio quality (Japanese audio, I don’t really care about the dub except for Toonami nostalgia) seems better than I remember. It’s absolutely not broadcast audio but it sounds...I don’t know, clearer? When I have time I pop in one of my Dragon Box discs to compare, it may just be in my head.
Almost certainly the same audio as the Season BD; Funi did some filtering to try to counteract the shittiness of the sound, and... General reception to this tends to be positive.

If someone could, I'd appreciate it if someone could fetch this shot from episode 1. :)
Hoping to enhance my comparison image, to help illustrate how shitty this release is compared to the raw scans, and even old DVDs like the DBoxes (seriously, look at the guy in the bottom-right corner in the suit; the raw scan and DBox show detail to that drawing, but the new set? Nada. New set also erases the eyes of the guy in the blue suit in the upper-middle-left, and the tiles on the floor in the lower-left are pretty much totally erased from the picture, and the overall texture of the image is AWFUL. Utter crap. Looks like the photoshop watercolour filter).
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm

That first Piccolo shot looks like it’s from Episode 4 which is the one I checked out quickly before having to get back to work. In my not-at-all-expert analysis, the Level set beats it out but the 30th set doesn’t look all that bad. I’ve discovered I’m probably easier to please though then a lot of other people on the forum. Truth be told I don’t have any of the season sets because I refused to buy widescreen Dragon Ball, so for all I know they look the same.

Hence not knowing about the audio either, they did a pretty decent job with it then.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:54 pm

So the 37 disc set that we paid $350 for and is limited to 6,000 copies comes in cardboard sleeves?

Yeah no. What were they thinking there? I find that even more unacceptable than how the remaster looks. You are inevitably going to have a situation where somebody gets a scratched disc or three and doesn't find out until months down the line because of the time it would take to watch through the whole series.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm That first Piccolo shot looks like it’s from Episode 4 which is the one I checked out quickly before having to get back to work. In my not-at-all-expert analysis, the Level set beats it out but the 30th set doesn’t look all that bad. I’ve discovered I’m probably easier to please though then a lot of other people on the forum. Truth be told I don’t have any of the season sets because I refused to buy widescreen Dragon Ball, so for all I know they look the same.

Hence not knowing about the audio either, they did a pretty decent job with it then.
True, the only widescreen Dragon Ball anything i own is the Z movies for at least there it actually makes sense to have it that way because the intention was even though the films were animated at 4:3 they made them open matte to be shown in widescreen for theatrical presentation.

The series on the other hand, that's 4:3 no exceptions because you can't just cut the image and not lose detail meant to be there.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:07 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:54 pm So the 37 disc set that we paid $350 for and is limited to 6,000 copies comes in cardboard sleeves?

Yeah no. What were they thinking there? I find that even more unacceptable than how the remaster looks. You are inevitably going to have a situation where somebody gets a scratched disc or three and doesn't find out until months down the line because of the time it would take to watch through the whole series.
The sleeves are definitely the most disappointing part of this set to me. I didn’t have time to check them all but the first disc did indeed have a light scratch on it, which is why I spot checked it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:31 pm

I hate cardboard sleeves & digipacks. I think the worst releases I've had with digipacks were the Doctor Who series 5 & 6 sets because every time I would take a disc out of the cases, they felt like, because the discs are kinda flimsy, that they'd snap in half because the disc holders are too sturdy. But with cardboard sleeves, even with the better scratch resistance on Blu-Rays, those shits are gonna scratch at some point if the cardboard isn't slick enough for continual removal & put back of the discs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:31 pm I hate cardboard sleeves & digipacks. I think the worst releases I've had with digipacks were the Doctor Who series 5 & 6 sets because every time I would take a disc out of the cases, they felt like, because the discs are kinda flimsy, that they'd snap in half because the disc holders are too sturdy. But with cardboard sleeves, even with the better scratch resistance on Blu-Rays, those shits are gonna scratch at some point if the cardboard isn't slick enough for continual removal & put back of the discs.
Yeah, those releases where the discs are in sleeves are the worst. It's very easy for them to fall out and get scratched. I definitely prefer the packaging with slipcases on thin packs and general DVD cases.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Ooof...

That's gonna be a naw from me.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:22 pm Ooof...

Oh wow that looks really bad, it's easy to see this looks no better than the Season BD's minus the 4:3 rather than fake widescreen.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:22 pm Ooof...

Doesn't Episode 1 look worse than usual across all of Funimation's releases that use their masters?
Do you have any other screenshots?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Just got mine and watching a random episode. It looks better on my tv than the season sets for sure. Some of that might be just from the fact that it's not cropped.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat