PlayStation 5 and the future of DBZ games..

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

budokaifanatic007
Regular

PlayStation 5 and the future of DBZ games..

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 pm

So with official confirmation of PlayStation 5, What are your hopes, thoughts and predictions for the future of DBZ games? Lets discuss. :mrgreen:
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: PlayStation 5 and the future of DBZ games..

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm

I'm not a person who owns consoles, but I'd like the games to be very impressive. Then again, as long as they continue to present original stories, it would be enough and great to me.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm

We will probably get XV3 on both the PS4 and PS5.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm We will probably get XV3 on both the PS4 and PS5.
That'll definitely hold the game back. I know its bound to happen, but still.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm We will probably get XV3 on both the PS4 and PS5.
That'll definitely hold the game back. I know its bound to happen, but still.
That's the best-case scenario, unfortunately.
Xenoverse 2, even with all the downloadable content, feels like a PS3 game released on PS4 to me. It's not any more visually impressive than, say, Burst Limit or Ultimate Tenkaichi. Or, more to its level, 7th gen Xenoverse 1. In terms of animation and physics, it's definitely not using the full power of 8th gen consoles. Nor is it doing so in size.

Xenoverse 3, if it really does happen (and it probably will), might be the first game that actually 'feels' like it was made for 8th gen consoles in mind, even if it cross-releases with the 9th gen. And that's just if they actually do anything with it beyond adding more characters & customization options and a Time Breaker story option.

Of course, maybe I'm just pessimistic. After all, Xenoverse 2 is called "Xenoverse 1.5" for a reason.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:21 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:04 pm
Of course, maybe I'm just pessimistic. After all, Xenoverse 2 is called "Xenoverse 1.5" for a reason.
Thats a good point. I've been pretty critical of XV2 for many reasons so I'd really hope they make a huge improvement for the inevitable XV3

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Licensed, multiplatform games usually aren't a high priority for showcasing next-gen tech. In fact, just the presence and quantity of licensed games have dropped off more and more with each console generation as dev costs increase- time was every summer movie that came out would have a cheap tie-in on PS2 and Xbox, now you rarely see that. Not that that's a bad thing of course.

Dragon Ball has to have yearly release, so I imagine we'll see something similar to what we got with the PS4- a Xenoverse equivalent early on in the life-cycle with last-gen graphics and released for both the old and new platforms, and a FighterZ/Kakarot equivalent later on developed to make better use of the new hardware.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:34 am

I predict there will be more dragon ball related video games

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:25 am

A game-changer will probably be the drastic reduction (or elimination) of loading times offering new gameplay possibilities or new comfort (depending on the graphics of course, since much higher textures and graphics overall will likely make those shortened loading times look like regular loading times).

For example, right now, you can easily imagine a game like Fighterz is limited by what can be loaded for a single battle, but with no loading times (or extremely short ones), you could actually have something like a special mode/event for 10 VS 10 or 20 VS 20 or the whole cast VS the whole cast since calling the various models would take almost no perceptible time.

It is also possible that the limited number of Dramatic Finishes is because they have to think of the kind of teams match-up that would require to load the maximum of Dramatic Finishes and don't want to go overboard with things to load for a single battle.

For Xenoverse, the simple graphics probably help easy loading for quick "leaves / arrives" character loading and quick changes of stages through portals. In which case, the graphics could become more detailed without needing to interrupt the action with frequent loading times as long as the battle-initiating one. More characters and stages could be involved too depending on what the first, longer loading time actually loads.

So yeah, aside from the extra power for graphics and such, I think we have to think "no loading times anymore" or "instant access to every element in the game at any time" and stuff like that for new gameplay possibilities.
Of course, this won't be possible if the first games are meant to match an additionnal PS4 version and if there aren't PS5-exclusive modes that take advantage of the SSD technology.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:51 pm

XV3 being cross gen makes sense given how XV1 was on both the PS3, 360, PS4 and XO. I think Fighterz 2 will probably be our first exclusive for the PS4 and Xbox 4.
She/Her

Kokos

Post by Kokos » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:41 am

Seems to me that Dragon Ball is in a good position gaming-wise. Last gen was quite a low, but they climbed themselves out of it nicely and got quite a lot of attention for it. DBS probably helped a lot, but it's still an achievement. We'll still have to wait and see how DBZ: Kakarot will turn out though, it looks janky in some areas, but not as much as the games of the previous gen. Even if it fails really hard for some reason or another, the length the developers go to include so much lore from DBZ and make an action RPG around it all for current-gen consoles, is a really nice gesture and at the very least shows goodwill.

DBZ: Kakarot is probably not the last game for this gen, feels too soon for that. I too expect a cross-gen Xenoverse 3. FighterZ will probably continue too, as a direct or spiritual sequel.
I'd love for Tenkaichi to return, Xenoverse doesn't scratch the 3D Arena Fighter itch for me at all, but that ship has sailed. At least the old games are still there to be enjoyed. I don't think there's anything else I'd really want and get excited about.
I'm not against Xenoverse 3, it's more that too many small things bug me and since they didn't adjust them in XV2, I'm assuming it won't be the case for XV3 either. I do wonder how XV3 will end up, it's been 3 years now. What could they have been cooking? :think:

They got a really great streak now. This gen they basically gave us everything fans fantasized about with CaC, RPGs and a competitive fighting game. It may not always be as polished as it could be, but the point still stands.
Question I have is if you've already granted the wishes of the fans, where do you go from there? Sequels of the current-gen games can do the trick, simultaneously keeping up with the trends of the gen and trying to get even more attention of the mainstream audience will help as well. Maybe that will be enough for a new gen. But I think the worst thing they could do, is become too complacent and neglect innovation. Bigger and better is great, but that doesn't always capture the interest of the audience. If that happens, there's a problem. We also don't know (yet) how much more new DBS content will be coming in the future that they can rely on. They'll have to find a way somehow, regardless of circumstances. That is if they have the ambition to keep the streak going.

For me, DBZ games are in a great position, they're more in the AA games space yet we don't have to wait a crazy long time for them. I'm just bummed that I don't enjoy Xenoverse as much as I should.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:42 pm

I'm expecting sequels for DB FighterZ and DB Kakarot. Both have a lot of potential and I'm sure DB Kakarot will sell well too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pm

I don’t think they should even bother with a XV3. Where else is there to take that series? Plus, they’re still adding DLC’s to the game to this day, which gives them less of a window for new content in a third game.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pmI don’t think they should even bother with a XV3. Where else is there to take that series?
Anywhere. Or to somewhere that has not been actually covered (completely) yet. I wouldn't think it's a stretch to think someone at Dimps is part of that "Dragon Ball Room". So even if they somehow manages to "run out of ideas", they'll eventually come up with something during a meeting or something.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:49 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pmI don’t think they should even bother with a XV3. Where else is there to take that series?
Anywhere. Or to somewhere that has not been actually covered (completely) yet. I wouldn't think it's a stretch to think someone at Dimps is part of that "Dragon Ball Room". So even if they somehow manages to "run out of ideas", they'll eventually come up with something during a meeting or something.
I just don’t see the point in going back to the Xenoverse series after FighterZ.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:02 pm

In terms of story, if XV3 presents a new one, there will be a reason to "go back" to it.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:20 pm

They clearly think the Xenoverse brand is worth investing in with so much DLC. I imagine they'll have to bite the bullet on a sequel at some point. Meanwhile, I imagine we could go quite a few years before we get a possible sequel to FighterZ or Kakarot.

Could we pleeaase get Fusions 2? Put it on the Switch, add new characters, new fusions. That game was so good, don't let it fall into obscurity just because it was a 3DS game.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 am

If the new Guilty Gear game that’s dropping soon from Arcs is anything to go by, whenever we get “FighterZ 2”, to call it gorgeous will be an understatement!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Xenoverse 3 will most likely come out on PS4 and PS5 too. The hopes for it are already high even if it were to only come to PS4, so I am not expecting the PS5 version to be anything too great except for the graphics of course.
Of course on PS5 they could actually include bigger scenarios, with lots of characters fighting at once. That would be really cool.

Hopefully FighterZ 2 will be a PS5-only game. The potential for it is endless - it may actually look 100% like the anime, the backgrounds too! But the game from a gameplay and graphical standpoint is already close to perfection PS4, so in the next-gen it may actually be perfect. What will truly distinguish it from the first game will be an even more redefined gameplay, a better storymode, more characters and possibly more alternate skins too and more game modes.

Then there may be a sequel to Kakarot, depending on how much it sells, likely covering the events of Super.
Or they could do an RPG similar to Kakarot but covering an original story similar to what Xenoverse does - with a created character.
The sequel to Kakarot would be the game with the most potential in my opinion. A new generation of consoles could really help with having more polished graphics, more NPCs, a bigger world and overall more content.
If this sequel ever happens, I hope they will try to be as faithful as possibile to the anime-like graphics, including the scenarios too which unfortunately aren’t looking that good in Kakarot.
The models would also need a revamp and better shading. I really hope they will try to adapt the new art style by Shintani, or at least try to get closer to FighterZ’s style of graphics.

Of course I hope that other than these games we will also get some new ones.
I miss 2.5D games like Budokais, Burst Limit etcetera, and getting a game similar to those (gameplay-wise) would be absolutely dope.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 pm

I hope Kakarot is a one shot game and they could do Super as DLC if they don't cover it for the main story. I would rather have less DBZ simulator type of games for once.
She/Her