The DBS Broly Argentina dub vs Dragon Ball Z Kai's Mexican dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The DBS Broly Argentina dub vs Dragon Ball Z Kai's Mexican dub

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:16 pm

I really hate how much vile is thrown towards the Argentina cast. They didnt make the decision to have it dubbed there. And people may hate that they just chose to replicate the Mexican cast...but at least they did much better than the Z Kai dub. They did everything in their power to reduce the shock of seeing other people play the characters. Z Kai didnt even bother.

So...according to YOUR OPINION...Which one is better? DBS Broly as dubbed in Argentina... Or DBZ Kai as dubbed in Mexico.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: The DBS Broly Argentina dub vs Dragon Ball Z Kai's Mexican dub

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:23 pm

I wouldn't say DBZ Kai "didn't even bother". If it really "didn't even bother", it would be a carbon copy of Nicktoons Kai but in Spanish, with complete disregard of previously used terminology and pronunciation (then again, in some isolated cases that would have been a good thing, as Chi-Chi, Ox-King, Piccolo, and Gero are better translations than Milk, Ox-Satan, Piccoro, and Maki Gero...but still).

Remember the problems with Latino Kai started when someone from the production team tried to reduce the damage of the Nicktoons source by asking to be reminded of the Latino terminology. Also, since Argentina Broly uses the Funi script which Mexican Broly apparently (and thankfully) did not (aside from the trailers), in some ways the two dubs are in the same boat. Both use different casts from the norm, both are based off the Funi dub, and both use preestablished Latino terminology.

Out of curiosity, how bad was the Latino Kai acting, anyways? I've heard that it's not as good as the Latino Z cast, but it isn't by any means a horrible dub.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:28 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:23 pm I wouldn't say DBZ Kai "didn't even bother". If it really "didn't even bother", it would be a carbon copy of Nicktoons Kai but in Spanish, with complete disregard of previously used terminology and pronunciation (then again, Ox-King, Piccolo, and Gero are better translations than Ox-Satan, Piccoro, and Maki Gero...but still).

Remember the problems with Latino Kai started when someone from the production team tried to reduce the damage of the Nicktoons source by asking to be reminded of the Latino terminology. Also, since Argentina Broly uses the Funi script which Mexican Broly apparently did not (aside from the trailers), in some ways the two dubs are in the same boat. Both use different casts from the norm, both are based off the Funi dub, and both use preestablished Latino terminology.

Out of curiosity, how bad was the Latino Kai acting, anyways? I've heard that it's not as good as the Latino Z cast, but it isn't by any means a horrible dub.
It was dreadful. Sure people may seem really whiny about it. But it is massively warranted. Dodoria sounds like a moron and I dont know why because he didnt sound that way on Funi Kai.

Also this bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAM97gZ3_o
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:53 pm

If you would like my honest opinion, I don't see how it's bullshit.

The same scene Latino Z (https://youtu.be/FwEb9Ts61L4?t=16), Funi Uncut Kai (https://youtu.be/y5JNzkqcLoc?t=59).

I may not be able to speak Spanish, but it appears to me that Latino Z is a more serious take. The performances of Latino Kai are more ridiculous, but it's still more watchable than Funi Z (which isn't included in the list of videos). It almost comes off to me the same way Big Green comes off...although that's probably too harsh.

I can definitely see why Latino Z is preferred, but while Latino Kai is a downgrade, again I don't understand what's bullshit.

...maybe I've seen too many shitty DB dubs lol.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:53 pm If you would like my honest opinion, I don't see how it's bullshit.

The same scene Latino Z (https://youtu.be/FwEb9Ts61L4?t=16), Funi Uncut Kai (https://youtu.be/y5JNzkqcLoc?t=59).

I may not be able to speak Spanish, but it appears to me that Latino Z is a more serious take. The performances of Latino Kai are more ridiculous, but it's still more watchable than Funi Z. It almost comes off to me the same way Big Green comes off...although that's probably too harsh.

I can definitely see why Latino Z is preferred, but while Latino Kai is a downgrade, again I don't understand what's bullshit.

...maybe I've seen too many shitty DB dubs lol.
Its because you didnt have a pretty much perfect version replaced this heartlessly. Its a terrible and unnaceptable downgrade.

Still, I ought to THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting here. If you didnt post this thread would have been buried.

EDIT: This scene is fucking awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxnhL4xh5g&t=5s

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 am

You're welcome. Ever since I've really gotten into DB, the dubbing situation fascinated me.

While some Kai dubs are unambiguous upgrades over their Z counterparts (Funimation and French), it's interesting to note the instances where the Z dubs are considered superior in some way (Latino Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German).

Did the Latino Kai dub really "replace" the Z dub? AFAIK Latino Z is rerun to this day, not so much with Latino Kai.

It's a shame that Latino Kai is an inferior product compared to Latino Z. Just be glad that we're not talking about the German dub. A superior script isn't going to fly if the acting is a major downgrade. I mean, German Kai has horrible screams.

I have a question. If Latino Kai was based directly off the Japanese and kept as many of the same actors as possible etc, would it still be considered inferior to Latino Z?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29 am

The Final Chapters had the old actors from Z and Super, and that was AWESOME. It was based on Funimation scripts adapted to use the terms most Latin Americans are familiar. It helps that Luis Alfonso Mendosa is a much more competent Director.

However this goes to show just how little Toei cared back when they made the first 2 arcs of Kai.

EDIT:To answer your question, yes. I dont guarantee how it would have been received but I assure you we wouldnt have hated it as much.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:36 am

TFC may have been an improvement over Kai 1.0, but it's still based on the Funi Kai script. Would you say Latino Boo Z still has a more accurate script?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:39 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:36 am TFC may have been an improvement over Kai 1.0, but it's still based on the Funi Kai script. Would you say Latino Boo Z still has a more accurate script?
I really didnt mind it. I really dont care about the script as much as I do the actual acting. Besides Funimation had a pretty accurate script. Oh and some of the best old lines from Z were added back to Kai TFC so its pretty much great.

But yeah. Nothing beats Brenda Nava's translations. She is awesome and really gets Dragon Ball. So the Z script is still better.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:38 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:16 pm I really hate how much vile is thrown towards the Argentina cast. They didnt make the decision to have it dubbed there. And people may hate that they just chose to replicate the Mexican cast...but at least they did much better than the Z Kai dub. They did everything in their power to reduce the shock of seeing other people play the characters. Z Kai didnt even bother.

So...according to YOUR OPINION...Which one is better? DBS Broly as dubbed in Argentina... Or DBZ Kai as dubbed in Mexico.
Clips to compare?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:42 am

I only have the complete movies. PM me.

Found a clip for the Argentina dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3j8pMMQ7w

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:55 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:42 am I only have the complete movies. PM me.

Found a clip for the Argentina dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3j8pMMQ7w
Thanks. It'd be easier to compare side by side though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:43 am

I had a blast watching the movie with the Argentina dub. Sure, Mexican is WAY better, but its still epic. Its the approach Irwin Dayaan and Patricia Acevedo should have taken with Kai.