Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:26 am

I understand that everyone wants to claim that if fans didn't buy these things that Funimation would release something better, but that's an awfully big gamble. This company has repeatedly shown time after time that it doesn't get it and doesn't know what its fans want. Fans could never know for sure if they'd even release more Dragon Ball Z since they have Super to capitalize on. Plus, Funimation has a TON of other properties to release.

The era of a definite DBZ release is over, as realistically, the last release was what, 12/2014 for their Season 9? And then what? If nobody bought this one and waited, maybe they'd come out with a 4K release in 2023... in widescreen?

For a fan that just wants this entire series in 4:3, it's not so easy to just tell them to skip out on this and hope that maybe Funimation would get it right next time. Lord knows they haven't gotten it right yet, why would next time -- if it ever happened -- be any different?

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:27 am

Here is a brief clip from episode 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgG339HZ8Nw

Now these sets do not look great but youtube seems to have compress it and made it look even worse. There seems to be more grain in file before I uploaded to youtube.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 am

coola wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am
VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am

Might sound harsh but same here. If so many were screaming to me "DON'T BUY THIS!" then i wouldn't really have anyone but myself to blame if i bought set item. But yes anyone should get a refund if the discs are badly damaged.
Except people aren't complaining about tree video quality, which is the only thing that everyone was screaming, "Don't buy this!" to. I don't remember anyone screaming, "Hey the packaging will be subpar and it'll scratch the discs!" or, "Don't buy this because they'll package it so horribly that the set will have scuffles on it!"

Once again, blaming the fans who just wanted a freaking 4:3 complete set. As I said before -- that's pathetic.

Now everyone has the Dragon Boxes and not everyone wants to download a pirated version. So what are those fans to do? But hey, as long as you didn't buy this set, I guess you don't have to feel bad for anyone, huh? I guess I shouldn't feel bad for anyone that didn't get the Dragon Boxes as they were released either and just say things like, "Well you should've bought it when you had the chance!"

Come on, enough with the fan shaming. "Err why'd you buy it?" Because they wanted to. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong and it doesn't mean that they deserve this for their money.
It can actually be applied to everything, there is so many subpar releases, or stuff like 100$ subscription for Fallout 76, because they are people who buy it, if it didnt make money, companies would care more.

I understand fans want 4:3 sets and DBoxes sadly turned out to be limited release (And even if they werent, if you were dub fan and Faulconer music, then this set wouldnt be for you...) but that doesn't mean you should accept crappy release. If only it had at least Broadcast audio, then maybe i would think about it, but as of now..t.hank god for fan edits that did better job than official release...
The other problem is that the FUNi dbox had compression issues. I sold mine cause they looked nowhere near as good as the Japanese ones. I'm not collecting the Dragon Box singles (thank god for those)

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am

Yikes. This has derailed into complaining and fighting.

Can we bring this back on topic?

My set arrived this weekend. Looks great visually as a whole. I haven't opened the plastic wrap on the blu-rays yet. I'm waiting until I've seen proof that it's substantially better than owning the orange bricks. (Can anyone provide a screenshot comparison of something from the middle of the series--as opposed to one of the first few episodes--comparing to the orange bricks?). It'd be great to see a Namek Saga comparison... like one of the episodes where the orange bricks were blowing out details due to over exposure...

I'm sorry to see that Char received scratched disks. It's cool that they (apparently) have replacement disks for just such a problem (oddly enough?). I'm not thrilled that it's cardboard sleeves, but my Rock the Dragon box set doesn't have any issues, so perhaps this one won't either.

I have looked through the art book. It's entirely new artwork (recycled artwork) from Funimation's artists (or whatever) plus a few high res screenshots from the series. I don't like the modern fan art and the book is 90% that. If I wasn't so picky, I'm sure I'd find it nicer. I'm sure due to licensing, or something of that nature, Funimation was only able to use artwork they had the rights to. Or, perhaps, they could only justify using artwork that was high res enough to print well (things that were drawn and colored digitally), which heavily limited what they could actually use. It does have a lot of pages, and it is sorted chronologically, and the printing is great. The cover is a great material, and it oddly even smells nice (like soap). The book is very large, it has a nice texture to it and has matching foil on it.

I only collect 5 inch scale, so I'm going to keep the figure MIB in case I decide to sell the set in a few years.

The exterior packaging of the bluray box is gorgeous with a silver foil Shenron on black. The set is smaller than orange bricks as you can see, so it will certainly save me space if I keep it and sell my orange bricks.

They included a certificate of authenticity which was a cool surprise. It came in an envelope and it is the size of a record album.

I'd really like to know if this is superior to the orange bricks in every way, before I open it. I saw a few people on Facebook raving over the quality of the episodes, but none of them own the orange bricks (I'm not sure what they do own, however). They basically said that the episodes have some grain to them, and the cropping is only noticeable on the first few episodes as far as they have noticed (or watched). But if I'm not 100% certain it is better than the orange bricks... I don't want to open it. So hopefully someone braver than I can help me out with a screenshot or two compared to one another.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 am

Brangeta wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am Saving some space
I hope this helps :)

Sorce: https://slow.pics/comparison/d920b5b4-7 ... f6e205a512

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:09 pm

It’s definitely better than the orange bricks in every way..not that its a high bar to beat.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm

If I'll get my set today, I'll put up comparison screenshots from whatever people want. It'll a little late (I don't get home until roughly 10pm, Eastern).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:19 pm

I'd say they are. The general consensus is that the Blu-Bricks are handled (if only slightly) better than the Orange Bricks with their grading. The Black Bricks (the 30th set we're discussing) are a 4:3 version of that. The only main niggle in comparison to the Blu-Bricks is that the 4:3 crop is needlessly tight, but we've only really seen the early episodes. Being an owner of an OG Dragon Box I'm no stranger to early episode weirdness: the first five or seven episodes of Dragon Ball's Box are very UNcropped to the point that seeing the rounded cel corners is a fact of life and the credits are poorly handled, but once you get to episodes 10-15 it sorts itself out.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm If I'll get my set today, I'll put up comparison screenshots from whatever people want. It'll a little late (I don't get home until roughly 10pm, Eastern).
Personally I'd be very interested to see the END of the series, to avoid the early episode weirdness I discussed above. Maybe end of Cell if you wanted to show comparisons with 4:3 Kai.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah, I'd put up shots from the Freeza, Cell, and Boo stuff.

Ideally, it would be nice to get the entire cels unaltered and maybe have some kind of feature where you can crop it to your liking if the round edges really bother you (like in some video games). 21st century, I'm sure it's a possible feature to put on Blu-ray discs. Then we wouldn't have this stupid, "Well we cropped it to her rid of the round edges!" nonsense. I could stand to see the picture with some round edges -- gladly.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:40 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:32 pm Ideally, it would be nice to get the entire cels unaltered and maybe have some kind of feature where you can crop it to your liking if the round edges really bother you (like in some video games). 21st century, I'm sure it's a possible feature to put on Blu-ray discs. Then we wouldn't have this stupid, "Well we cropped it to her rid of the round edges!" nonsense. I could stand to see the picture with some round edges -- gladly.
Personally I've LOVE a 100% uncropped release with the rounded corners, haha.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:42 pm

Gdugz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am So i just found a link to episode 1 on twitter, it looks about the way i expected, would have liked if the link was the Japanese audio so i could have judged that aswell. But yeah not impressed with the video quality. I would rate it slightly above the season sets but any chance of me buying this is gone now, I will just stick to what I have.
If you download it, it has all the audio tracks; English is just defaulted so that's what it offers in the Google Drive preview player. It seems to be the same as the season Blurays.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am
VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am
Plague-Memories wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am I find it hard to feel bad for anyone who paid for this getting a subpar product when we’ve been saying it’s just that since it was announced, but i hope you at least get a full refund for this piece of shit.
Might sound harsh but same here. If so many were screaming to me "DON'T BUY THIS!" then i wouldn't really have anyone but myself to blame if i bought set item. But yes anyone should get a refund if the discs are badly damaged.
Except people aren't complaining about the video quality, which is the only thing that everyone was screaming, "Don't buy this!" to. I don't remember anyone screaming, "Hey the packaging will be subpar and it'll scratch the discs!" or, "Don't buy this because they'll package it so horribly that the set will have scuffles on it!"

Once again, blaming the fans who just wanted a freaking 4:3 complete set. As I said before -- that's pathetic.

Not everyone has the Dragon Boxes and not everyone wants to download a pirated version. So what are those fans to do? But hey, as long as you didn't buy this set, I guess you don't have to feel bad for anyone, huh? I guess I shouldn't feel bad for anyone that didn't get the Dragon Boxes as they were released either and just say things like, "Well you should've bought it when you had the chance like I did!"

Come on, enough with the fan shaming. "Err why'd you buy it?" Because they wanted to. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong and it doesn't mean that they deserve this for their money.
No shaming here but i really hope that those who support crap products like this realize that supporting this just enables more crap products from the company in the future. That is a fact. It just ruins things for everyone else who wants something that's not horrible.

I already said that everyone should get their money back if the packaging messed up their discs because that is just a defective product at that point and everyone who has that issues basically has all the right in the world to demand their money back as far as i'm concerned. This really doesn't extend to the part of them not being satisfied with the sets video and audio quality. Everybody knew this set was crap since the announcement and many have gone multiple times in extreme detail as to why. So supporting this set is basically voting with your wallet and saying that it's OK for Funimation to keep putting out junk like this.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:26 am I understand that everyone wants to claim that if fans didn't buy these things that Funimation would release something better, but that's an awfully big gamble. This company has repeatedly shown time after time that it doesn't get it and doesn't know what its fans want. Fans could never know for sure if they'd even release more Dragon Ball Z since they have Super to capitalize on. Plus, Funimation has a TON of other properties to release.

The era of a definite DBZ release is over, as realistically, the last release was what, 12/2014 for their Season 9? And then what? If nobody bought this one and waited, maybe they'd come out with a 4K release in 2023... in widescreen?

For a fan that just wants this entire series in 4:3, it's not so easy to just tell them to skip out on this and hope that maybe Funimation would get it right next time. Lord knows they haven't gotten it right yet, why would next time -- if it ever happened -- be any different?
Funimation understands completely what the hardcore fans want. If they didn't a couple of years ago, i'm sure they do now. They disabled the making of the Level Sets on their youtube page and have tried (rather poorly) to address the concerns fans had about this set in the blog that they wrote before it released. There was very little hype about this and the funding slowed down to a crawl after a while. I find it highly unlikely that Funimation would be so mind numbingly out of touch that they don't understand what the issues are about at this point. After all those complaints It couldn't possibly be more clear. They know. Here is the problem. THEY ALREADY GOT THE MONEY! This just encourages them to continue this behavior. No matter how vocal the fans are, what good is it if they are going to eat it up anyway? So why should Funimation bother trying in the future?

Oh and i seriously doubt this will be the last DBZ release we get from them. This is what like the 10th DBZ release overall from Funimation? I don't care how long it takes but we will definitely see another "definitive" release at some point. Unfortunately they might intentionally screw it up again because they already made money with this set. Just please for the love of everything that is good in this world, don't buy something that you know and everyone else knows is complete trash.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Terez wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:42 pm
Gdugz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am So i just found a link to episode 1 on twitter, it looks about the way i expected, would have liked if the link was the Japanese audio so i could have judged that aswell. But yeah not impressed with the video quality. I would rate it slightly above the season sets but any chance of me buying this is gone now, I will just stick to what I have.
If you download it, it has all the audio tracks; English is just defaulted so that's what it offers in the Google Drive preview player. It seems to be the same as the season Blurays.
Yeah I noticed that just as I opened VLC up to take a clip from it :lol: . Yeah from what I heard sounds similar to the season sets.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 pm

VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm Oh and i seriously doubt this will be the last DBZ release we get from them. This is what like the 10th DBZ release overall from Funimation? I don't care how long it takes but we will definitely see another "definitive" release at some point. Unfortunately they might intentionally screw it up again because they already made money with this set. Just please for the love of everything that is good in this world, don't buy something that you know and everyone else knows is complete trash.
The more pertinent factor is that physical media, especially for long-running shows like Dragon Ball, is on the way out in favor of streaming services. In 5 years it won't make any sense for Funimation to spend however much money rescanning 300 episodes so they can put it out on a niche format at a price so high nobody would consider buying it even if the per-episode cost was insanely low (especially since the Blu-Bricks do well enough).

This is a BIG reason why a lot of people are pissed about the Blu-Bricks and these Black Bricks in particular. After the Orange Bricks, these were the chances for Funimation to do it RIGHT, but then the Levels died and we got these disrespectful (to both the audience and the original product) releases instead. This is it, this is the LAST HURRAH for physical DBZ releases before we submit to streaming, and it's done with a recycled statue and cardboard sleeves with scratched discs.

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Thank you! I didn't notice when I saw those originally, that the orange bricks were the 2007 season sets.

It's certainly strange that the cropping is so heavy on that first episode (and maybe several more, based on what people have said here), but in the end... I have both of the Level Sets, so even if the first dozen episodes of the black 20th brick are annoying to look at, I can always play the Level Set blu rays instead for those episodes. :thumbup:

To everyone else to replied to my comment, thank you!

Tylerman29 -- yeah, that's true. The orange bricks aren't great... but they were the cheapest way to own the entire series, which is what I ended up stuck with the past ~8 years.

TheGreatness25 -- I'm looking forward to it! If possible, can you please do a comparison of one of the scenes where Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma in her gray outfit were on the ship traveling to Namek? If I remember right, the orange bricks are pretty overexposed in those episode(s). You (or someone else) may know of a better scene to test, however.

KBABZ -- I really like the blue DB bricks and like the yellow DBGT bricks well enough as well, if that is what you're referring to. The orange bricks have been ok over the years, but I've never been thrilled by them. I originally owned season 1 of the widescreen blu ray set, and hated it so much I immediately sold it on ebay. Thanks for the info about the Dragon Box! I've never owned any of those sets. They're too expensive on the used market for me to justify. Not to take this too far off topic, but if DB was released on blu ray, I'd have to think long and hard about buying it. The blue bricks are really a fantastic way to own the series. For my purposes, it looks good enough on a 43" 4K TV. The orange bricks though... ehhhh... they are only "fine" in comparison on that size.

Like most of the people here seem to agree... I would prefer to own the entire series in the same exact quality as the discontinued level set blu rays. I would prefer to own DBZ with it looking like a 1990s cartoon instead of something updated to attempt to make it look like something it shouldn't try to look like. Like most of you, I don't understand why Funimation doesn't seem to want to sell us that sort of product.

However, I will say, that if this $375 (I live in Texas, so I had to pay sales tax) set helps me get over not getting the Dragon Boxes back in the day by being truly better than the orange bricks... then I'll be happy enough for now. It's not what I want, but it's what I can afford to have. $375 was NOT that bad of a price for every episode, a big figure, a book, and a surprise certificate of authenticity. It's barely over $1 an episode, and the Dragon Boxes were pricey when new too, weren't they? I swear they were close to $40 each when new.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:17 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 pm
VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm Oh and i seriously doubt this will be the last DBZ release we get from them. This is what like the 10th DBZ release overall from Funimation? I don't care how long it takes but we will definitely see another "definitive" release at some point. Unfortunately they might intentionally screw it up again because they already made money with this set. Just please for the love of everything that is good in this world, don't buy something that you know and everyone else knows is complete trash.
The more pertinent factor is that physical media, especially for long-running shows like Dragon Ball, is on the way out in favor of streaming services. In 5 years it won't make any sense for Funimation to spend however much money rescanning 300 episodes so they can put it out on a niche format at a price so high nobody would consider buying it even if the per-episode cost was insanely low (especially since the Blu-Bricks do well enough).

This is a BIG reason why a lot of people are pissed about the Blu-Bricks and these Black Bricks in particular. After the Orange Bricks, these were the chances for Funimation to do it RIGHT, but then the Levels died and we got these disrespectful (to both the audience and the original product) releases instead. This is it, this is the LAST HURRAH for physical DBZ releases before we submit to streaming, and it's done with a recycled statue and cardboard sleeves with scratched discs.

I know but i don't think we are at that point yet. Call me crazy but i think there will still be a sizeable market for physical media for at least another 10-15 years. Sure DBZ will be available for streaming but there will always bee those who want to own the show. We might see another release for the 35th anniversary. Heck i fully expect it at this point. Also in so far as DBZ is concerned Funimation doesn't even necessarily need to rescan the entire series. They already did about 120 episodes for the Level Sets apparently, but not all of them made their way to Blu-Ray. They could just reuse most of those episodes and rescan the rest, so that would probobaly cut on the cost significantly.

That's what's really frustrating to me. They have done this right before and seemingly have several episode's just sitting there ready to be used, but instead they did this.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:34 pm

I’m not looking for sympathy because video-wise I knew what I was buying, but it’s shady as hell they didn’t show off anything as to how it would be packaged. I took a gamble and lost, so just a warning to those of you who did buy this to own the show in 4:3 - because I think you’re totally justified, I spent $1,000 on aftermarket FUNi DBoxes, I’m right there with you - be careful, you probably have multiple scratched discs.

Light scratches on a DVD are generally okay, but scratches on a Blu-ray are a different story. On a DVD, the data is mostly stored on the top side of the disc, which is why you’ve probably heard before that if you scratch up the label side, it’s done for. Blu-rays are the opposite. First off, Blu-rays have a scratch resistant coating on them, so getting them scratched out of the case is frankly unacceptable to me in the first place. That aside, the data on the disc is more toward the bottom side of the disc, so scratches on that side effect it more so than a DVD.

So when I saw multiple discs with large scratches, I didn’t need to test it, I know some of them won’t work. Even if they do, I’m not going to spot check an entire disc to see if it still plays, I’m not keeping scratched up discs in the first place. I don’t care how ‘limited edition’ this damn thing is, not doing it.

To clarify FUNi’s email just vaguely referenced ‘disc replacements’. For all I know, they could send out an entirely new set, that defeats the whole purpose because the new one would have the same problems. I asked for a refund, haven’t heard anything back yet. Like I said, Friday is my limit before I start the chargeback process.

EDIT - This is the email I sent back to them when they replied last night:
My order number was 100153120-441589. The nature of the damage isn't from shipping, it's how the item's packaging was designed in the first place. When I backed this project, never in a million years did I think the special limited collector's edition for one of FUNimation's biggest properties would be produced in - frankly - cheap cardboard sleeves. I expected digipacks at the worst, ideally it should've been standard Blu-ray cases in four attractive boxes. That's what the initial ad picture looked like, and to be honest I feel misled and a little taken advantage of now having the actual product in my hands.

The following discs are scratched in some capacity thanks to the cardboard sleeves:
Season 1, Disc 1
Season 1, Disc 3
Season 2, Disc 1
Season 3, Disc 1
Season 3, Disc 2
Season 3, Disc 3
Season 3, Disc 4
Season 4, Disc 1
Season 4, Disc 2
Season 4, Disc 4
Season 6, Disc 1
Season 6, Disc 2
Season 6, Disc 3
Season 7, Disc 1
Season 7, Disc 3
Season 7, Disc 4
Season 8, Disc 2
Season 8, Disc 4
Season 9, Disc 1
Season 9, Disc 3

I've compiled an album of some examples of disc scratches as well as various other damages and tears to the actual pages here: https://imgur.com/a/uy6rbL7

That's 20 discs out of 37, a whopping 54% of the set. This is why cardboard sleeves are a terrible idea, and for $350 I expected better. After mulling it over that's way too much to replace. I'm willing to send it back for a refund. I hope you guys consider releasing 4:3 DBZ on Blu-ray as a general release with proper cases to replace your current widescreen release which I have no interest in.

Please provide a return label and I can pack up the set and all of the extras for return.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Can anyone who has this set posts some screencaps from episode 34? I happen to have the level version of that episode on my pc and would like to compare them.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:00 pm

I have all the singles from FUNimation if anyone wants me to grab some.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm

DHM211 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:20 pm Can anyone who has this set posts some screencaps from episode 34? I happen to have the level version of that episode on my pc and would like to compare them.
I'd be glad to as soon as it arrives. When I check the tracking number via FedEx, it looks like it's in limbo. Did this happen for the rest of you guys?

Thursday , 10/31/2019 9:00 am
Shipment information sent to FedEx

That's all it shows me except it said the anticipated arrival date was yesterday.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.