Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by simtek34 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 am

Agree with Scsigs on this one. It looks fine. Not amazing, but not trash. Also, it seems that we get a tiny bit more footage all around the edges? That's nice I guess. Better than cropping.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 am

Yeah. Still don't like removing the grain, but having the Dragon Box footage with nice focus is certainly appreciated.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 am

Like, FUNi has consistently given us all bottom of the barrel type releases for 12 years outside of the Z DBoxes & the levels, so, maybe it's me having the bar set so low, but I think these certainly could've been worse. It just seems like some light DVNR & making the frames focused as opposed to harsh smearing & sharpening. I'd certainly take it. Like, if it's just an upscale like that, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting these releases unless something crops up somewhere that makes them look like shit, unlike the FUNi Blu-Rays.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 am

Not to big on the pricing tho. It's on par with level sets for about the same amount of episodes, and that was an actual restoration and not a simple upscale with some filtering.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:25 am

Yeah, if you're gonna charge that much for an upscale, that's a bit much. At least FUNi knows their remasters are cheap & price that shit accordingly. Granted, Selecta Vision also hasn't had 9,001 rereleases of the same show in the last 2 decades, but still.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:36 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:25 am At least FUNi knows their remasters are cheap & price that shit accordingly.
Well, except for the Black Bricks.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:44 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:36 am
Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:25 am At least FUNi knows their remasters are cheap & price that shit accordingly.
Well, except for the Black Bricks.
Well, yeah, but I'm talking regular piece of shit releases, not limited edition crowd-funded piece of shit releases.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 am

Yeah this set looks serviceable to be honest.

If Manga UK acquire it I'll more than likely buy it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 am Yeah this set looks serviceable to be honest.

I'm kinda hoping they do myself at this point. Sharpened Dragon Box footage I can watch on my PS4? Yes please!

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:19 am Yeah this set looks serviceable to be honest.

It's a Spanish set, MangaUK won't do anything with it

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:07 am

I might be wrong, but Blu Ray release looks less blurry than DBox, if its also true for montion, i think Blu Ray might be better one for me, since i cant watch blurry footage for too long, my eyes start watering after a while and my head hurts.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 am

It's a Spanish set, MangaUK won't do anything with it
If Funimation license it and release their own set with the dub and English subtitles Manga UK very well may import it.

Personally though I just want an excuse to support OG Dragon Ball again because that show doesn't get nearly enough love.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 am If Funimation license it and release their own set with the dub and English subtitles Manga UK very well may import it.

Personally though I just want an excuse to support OG Dragon Ball again because that show doesn't get nearly enough love.
Agreed. I'm considering picking up this set as the visuals are more to my liking: Dragon Box crop and colours, but with a defter use of DNR than what Funimation does. I also really like the Daizenshuu-style packaging as well, although let's hope they're not using cardboard sleeves, eh?

Even if it's not the right language, the footage would be VERY nice to have for my The First Chapters project and help it blend a little better with the real Kai it's intended to flow into.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 am I mean, it doesn't look TOO too bad. Certainly not FUNimation-level awful. It's certainly in better focus, but it's not really that special compared to the Dragon Box masters.
KBABZ wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 am Yeah. Still don't like removing the grain, but having the Dragon Box footage with nice focus is certainly appreciated.
Critical misunderstanding: The "better focus" is merely a sharpening filter, which has the side-effect of giving the lineart and shading that awful Funi-esque look, and requiring a far stronger degraining filter than they would need if they just degrained the DBox as-is. A half-decent smart TV probably can do an equally-visually-satisfying job without the awful degraining/watercoloury ugliness to go along with it. (Unless you'd rather degrain it, which your TV can probably do. Y'know, if you're a monster :P )

It's a shit release, seriously.
Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 am some light DVNR & making the frames focused as opposed to harsh smearing & sharpening.
A distinction without a difference in this case. In addition to what I say above, the problem is it's not as intense as the work Funi's done on Z, so it's not quite as shitty, so you don't see it in quite the same light. But I assure you, it's exactly the same filtering as Funi uses, just dialled back slightly.

Because of how blurry the DBoxes are, a little sharpening on an upscaled release is probably a smart idea... But this is such a shit job. Looks almost like they just CC'd and upscaled Funi's Blue Bricks.
KBABZ wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 am Agreed. I'm considering picking up this set as the visuals are more to my liking: Dragon Box crop and colours, but with a defter use of DNR than what Funimation does. I also really like the Daizenshuu-style packaging as well, although let's hope they're not using cardboard sleeves, eh?

Even if it's not the right language, the footage would be VERY nice to have for my The First Chapters project and help it blend a little better with the real Kai it's intended to flow into.
Don't waste your money. Just filter the Dragon Box footage to your liking, you'll get infinitely better results than this utter shit.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Putting aside the problem with upscaled pseudo-HD footage, it is very remarkable that the Valencian dub is receiving a home video release for the first time ever (aside from the newly produced one for BoG Special Edition.) After Canal Nou shut down in 2013, the master tapes of the Valencian dub have been in danger, so I'm relieved that they've not been lost.

I wonder how they dealt with the sped up audio of the dubs, by the way. My guess is that it's time stretched with the pitch kept intact, but personally I dislike this solution because it hurts sound quality and produces non-invertible changes.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:59 pm

We still haven’t got OG Dragon Ball in BluRay yet have we? Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for American releases too.

overdrive
Not-So-Newbie

Post by overdrive » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm

That material is upscale, surely using IA o neuronal nets like needi filter. The audio, except valencian, not is for one version bluray for his quality.

Not is best release but yes better at the moment.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 am

overdrive wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm That material is upscale, surely using IA o neuronal nets like needi filter. The audio, except valencian, not is for one version bluray for his quality.

Not is best release but yes better at the moment.
Sorry to be crass, but LOL.

There is NO WAY this is AI/neural net. This'll just be a basic, standard upscale along the lines of lanczos or normal bicubic or some other generic thing like that. Just normal, simple, standard resizing of the image. Then they just yeet a sharpener and a strong DNR on top of it. That's all this shit is. Do the same thing on your own personal copy of the DBox footage, but lighten that DNR and sharpening up a lot, and you'll find you can get WAY better results than this shit.

Hell, an average smart TV or Blu-ray player can probably do a better job at upscaling this content to look good than this shitty Blu-ray.
Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:59 pm We still haven’t got OG Dragon Ball in BluRay yet have we? Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for American releases too.
We have never been given a HD master of OG Dragon Ball. This Spanish Blu-ray does give us a Blu-ray, but you're better off watching Dragon Box footage.

As for America... Funi do not care AT ALL about OG DB. And even if they did, they didn't buy film of it back when they bought film of Z and the movies, so they would have to probably spend quite a lot of money to get OG DB materials they could remaster, which they won't do. But even if they, by some weird line of reasoning, did that, they would handle the remastering exactly how they've handled the Season BDs and 30th anniversary sets of Z; that is, the filtering would be so disgustingly bad, the picture would have less detail than DBox, the colours would be shit, the whole thing would have an ugly, watercolour filter texture... You don't want this.

So no, this isn't a sign of anything to come, and even if it was, it would be a bad sign. Sorry.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

overdrive
Not-So-Newbie

Post by overdrive » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:42 pm

You hasn't been rude, because I think the same. I have only said that in our country it is the best in the shit that they sell us.

And if it is not AI, we have started a project with AI and this would be a good example:

https://imgsli.com/ODYyOQ
https://imgsli.com/ODU3OA
https://imgsli.com/ODU4Ng

CloudEPDB

Post by CloudEPDB » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:32 pm

overdrive wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:42 pm You hasn't been rude, because I think the same. I have only said that in our country it is the best in the shit that they sell us.

And if it is not AI, we have started a project with AI and this would be a good example:

https://imgsli.com/ODYyOQ
https://imgsli.com/ODU3OA
https://imgsli.com/ODU4Ng
You can see here more details

https://imgsli.com/ODYzNQ/2/1

I think the DBZ frames in the TV special remastered by TOEI (GYAO) is the closest we are to a DBZ remastering.