Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:15 pm

Completely forgot to ask this. How's the brightness & color saturation? Every time I watched clips of the previous BRs on YouTube, the brightness was always cranked up too high & the colors were oversaturated, which always make my eyes hurt to no end.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:15 pm Completely forgot to ask this. How's the brightness & color saturation? Every time I watched clips of the previous BRs on YouTube, the brightness was always cranked up too high & the colors were oversaturated, which always make my eyes hurt to no end.
Its certainly better than the previous BR's. This guy has been posting clips from the set supposedly https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjNqxq ... YMgOebCzRQ
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:15 pm Completely forgot to ask this. How's the brightness & color saturation? Every time I watched clips of the previous BRs on YouTube, the brightness was always cranked up too high & the colors were oversaturated, which always make my eyes hurt to no end.
It's certainly better than the previous BR's. This guy has been posting clips from the set supposedly https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjNqxq ... YMgOebCzRQ
I've seen clips, but YouTube always compressed shit down (14-16GB gaming videos I upload at 1080p60 are always compressed down to 2-3GB after uploading), losing a bit of quality in the process, so I didn't know how true to the discs the clips were.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:59 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm I've seen clips, but YouTube always compressed shit down (14-16GB gaming videos I upload at 1080p60 are always compressed down to 2-3GB after uploading), losing a bit of quality in the process, so I didn't know how true to the discs the clips were.
It's pretty close to my experience watching the discs. Indeed with less compression, but its a good representation as far as colors and saturation goes.

I am also playing these on a 4k player and TV so idk how much upscaling is going on.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm

I've been waiting all day for mine to get in the mail and the tracking said it'd be here today. However...When I called fedex they said yeahhhh it's coming tomorrow lol Ya'll just don't know but I love Kentucky. haha Probably some dude with his boots up on it smoking a cigar looking at old playboy magazines haha :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:38 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm My post was misinterpreted! The Blue Bricks aren’t included, I just meant I can watch them and then follow it up with the 30th set for a consistent aspect ratio. Which you could accomplish with the Dragon Boxes too if ya had them. Before this I had to watch DB in 4:3 and then Z in 16:9 because all I had was the Season BDs.
Yeah I definitely read that wrong lol

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm I've been waiting all day for mine to get in the mail and the tracking said it'd be here today. However...When I called fedex they said yeahhhh it's coming tomorrow lol Ya'll just don't know but I love Kentucky. haha Probably some dude with his boots up on it smoking a cigar looking at old playboy magazines haha :lol:
So you guys are still waiting on your shipment? If you are in Kentucky, I'm guessing I should get mine about the same time as you (or a day or two after).

I didn't create an account to order the damn thing. I was on the fence when I did. The tracking number doesn't work. The customer support page is blank for me and the Guest Login page to check on your guest order doesn't do anything. Holy shit, what a crappy company. Is there a number to call to double check on this?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm

ect5150 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm
So you guys are still waiting on your shipment? If you are in Kentucky, I'm guessing I should get mine about the same time as you (or a day or two after).

I didn't create an account to order the damn thing. I was on the fence when I did. The tracking number doesn't work. The customer support page is blank for me and the Guest Login page to check on your guest order doesn't do anything. Holy shit, what a crappy company. Is there a number to call to double check on this?
I also didn't have an account when I ordered. The number never worked it just showed up at my door one day. And right after it arrived the number worked and showed it was delivered...yay!...also FUNi got back to me the day after delivery!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm
ect5150 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I also didn't have an account when I ordered. The number never worked it just showed up at my door one day. And right after it arrived the number worked and showed it was delivered...yay!...also FUNi got back to me the day after delivery!
Well, it looks like these things were shipped outta Texas. Kentucky is closer to Texas than I am... so I'm assuming mine is still in transit. And your scenario is basically identical to mine. And the email does show my correct hometown. Since you got yours, I guess that gives me some peace of mind.

Now, I just hope things arrive without the discs all scratched up. I'll most likely order some extra sleeves for the discs then (I use fabric/plastic sleeves for the DBoxes). I'll encode the episodes and put them on my home network (RaspberryPi + Plex for the win!)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:15 pm After seeing all the horror stories about scratched discs on here, I decided to assess all 37 discs in my set. Fortunately only found one minute scratch on one of the discs. Guess I was lucky, but I still feel horrible for anyone who bought this fair and square like me and then opened it and found it to be a damaged mess. I personally enjoy the picture quality quite a lot. It’s just great that I can watch all of DB and Z in 4:3. The jump in image quality from Blue Bricks on DVD to 30th anniversary on BD is extremely noticeable but whatever. At least I don’t have black bars on the sides of the screen for the first 153 episodes of a 400+ episode run, and then no bars for the rest.
Am I the only one who's almost never gotten these black bars people speak of? My blue bricks fill the screen just like all the other DB DVDs.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm Am I the only one who's almost never gotten these black bars people speak of? My blue bricks fill the screen just like all the other DB DVDs.
That's because you're stretching the 4:3 image to 16:9 destroying the integrity of the image. There will be an option in your television settings to set aspect ratio to auto or 4:3 to remedy this.

Excuse the terrible example (it was the first decent result on google images) but you're doing this:

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:15 pm How's the brightness & color saturation?
To me, the contrast and colors are beautiful. The white stuff isn't overexposed and the colors are just right.

I made this split screen in Photoshop based on the screenshots someone else shared here a few days ago. The 30th is on the left, the 16:9 blu-ray season disc on the right. I'd say this is accurate to what my eyes are seeing when I watch. I love it.

Valerius Dover wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:48 pm Am I the only one who's almost never gotten these black bars people speak of? My blue bricks fill the screen just like all the other DB DVDs.
You must have your TV set setup to wide screen and/or your DVD player. On my small 1080 HDTV from 2007 that is hooked up to my Playstation 2, I watch the yellow bricks and blue brick DVDs with the TV set to widescreen since it is such a small TV. You probably just need to take your TV remote and tap the picture ratio button a few times to get to 4:3. You'll note that the dragonballs are ovals when watching in widescreen lol.

On my 2018 4K TV hooked up to my blu-ray player, it understands the ratios when it is on auto. I can purposefully change the picture setting to stretch the 30th anni blu-ray footage to widescreen if I want, but... I wouldn't want to.

On some blu-ray players, you have to go into the settings and tell it what ratio you want before you put a disk in, otherwise it'll just assume you want widescreen. Not all of them make that assumption, however.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:35 pm

Weird thing is not all my DVDs do that. For example, Viz's Sailor Moon release has the black bars when playing the episodes, but only on the first set. Also, a couple really old DVDs, but that's to be expected, I guess.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Wow. Far as I'm concerned, this looks *fine*. I admit it's not ideal, but to call this a disaster is laughably obnoxious. It's definitely an upgrade from anything they've given us before. If you ask me it looks significantly better than the previous blu-ray, even ignoring the cropping. There could be more detail, and I'm definitely seeing the smearing y'all are talking about in the clouds, but I could more than live with this if it was the best we'd ever get.

While it might be a little bright I'm about it. I hope they use whatever funds they get from this release to consider an in-house DB remaster, especially if the rumors about Toei having lost all but the digibetas are true.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Zestanor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm I laud the users of this board for sticking to your guns after a decade, and not giving in the temptation of filesharing. At least publicly. But its existence is precisely why physical media is long in decline, and no one will ever put as much effort into a home release of Dragon Ball Z as Toei did back in the early ‘00s. I for one do have the American Dragon Boxes, purchased new from the vendor and significantly marked down, as was the custom for preorders in 2011. But I recognize that these sets are a relic of the previous decade. The number of people who desire to sit down and watch the entire series in box set chunks will continue to decline, whilst the access to unpurchased copies of the official release will continue to proliferate, especially for fans who will be around for life.
The official streaming service is probably the least costly and most consistent way to watch these days. And don’t they use the orange brick footage, and the dub+Kikuchi score (something to make every kind of fan unhappy).
It is a philosophical matter really, as I don’t wanna promote piracy BUT!
Why should people buy this shit, when you can get the Dragon Box footage in HD with original broadcast audio, that is so crisp compared to the DBox mono muffled ones. Funi can not fight this battle, as they are defeated before they even started...
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 pm

bkev wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:16 pmthe rumors about Toei having lost all but the digibetas
Huh? Never heard that one. Not questioning you but, the hell?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 pm

I checked my blu-ray player's settings and I didn't have any parental settings preventing anything, so the scene of Piccolo's dripping blood missing was either an odd glitch or a figment of my imagination last night as I was drifting off to sleep. I do remember Raditz's comment about "has anybody seen my arm?" (which I love... even though Ocean dub did it better), but I do not remember seeing Piccolo. Last night, I swear it went to blue sky and then immediately to Raditz laughing and asking the question.

I checked it just now with Japanese music and it worked fine, I then rewinded and switched to American music and it was, again, fine.

I had my phone in square video mode (for Instagram) so I accidentally recorded this as such.

tldr; I couldn't reproduce the issue and here's a nice sample of just how nice this set is.

https://youtu.be/HpdYNqnksGk

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:46 pm

My set arrives tomorrow, so when I get home from work I will pop it in and do a few comparison shots from my singles.

Here's hoping it isn't damaged! :?

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:43 pm

I'll be frank, these don't look bad at all. A little poorer than Kai in terms of detail, oversaturated colors (something that can be fixed), and smeary backgrounds, but nothing experience breaking. I dare say it, I like what I see.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 pm

If they DVNR'd it to the extent of say, the Double Features or the last 4 Orange Bricks, I'd have absolutely no problem whatsoever. But this stupid filter they use now makes everything look like watercolors. It must be ASS in motion.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler