Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am

ect5150 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm I've been waiting all day for mine to get in the mail and the tracking said it'd be here today. However...When I called fedex they said yeahhhh it's coming tomorrow lol Ya'll just don't know but I love Kentucky. haha Probably some dude with his boots up on it smoking a cigar looking at old playboy magazines haha :lol:
So you guys are still waiting on your shipment? If you are in Kentucky, I'm guessing I should get mine about the same time as you (or a day or two after).

I didn't create an account to order the damn thing. I was on the fence when I did. The tracking number doesn't work. The customer support page is blank for me and the Guest Login page to check on your guest order doesn't do anything. Holy shit, what a crappy company. Is there a number to call to double check on this?
The tracking number of mine has worked since day 1. They said mine would come tomorrow. It reaaaaally stresses me out wondering if my discs are scratched. I know it's just a cartoon and the dvds would get replaced regardless but i get enough stress in my life without dealing with that nonsense lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:22 am

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am
ect5150 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm I've been waiting all day for mine to get in the mail and the tracking said it'd be here today. However...When I called fedex they said yeahhhh it's coming tomorrow lol Ya'll just don't know but I love Kentucky. haha Probably some dude with his boots up on it smoking a cigar looking at old playboy magazines haha :lol:
So you guys are still waiting on your shipment? If you are in Kentucky, I'm guessing I should get mine about the same time as you (or a day or two after).

I didn't create an account to order the damn thing. I was on the fence when I did. The tracking number doesn't work. The customer support page is blank for me and the Guest Login page to check on your guest order doesn't do anything. Holy shit, what a crappy company. Is there a number to call to double check on this?
The tracking number of mine has worked since day 1. They said mine would come tomorrow. It reaaaaally stresses me out wondering if my discs are scratched. I know it's just a cartoon and the dvds would get replaced regardless but i get enough stress in my life without dealing with that nonsense lol
Then choose not to think about the stress and accept the situation. If you accept you can let go.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 am

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am The tracking number of mine has worked since day 1.
My tracking numbers started working last night. Updated to say delivery on Saturday (I know a few others had a tracking number that had their package in limbo as well). So, I guess there is a little hope.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:52 am

I just got mine in this morning! I'd like to thank my grandpa's generation for defeating the nazi's because I used my classic ww2 combat knife to open it. :lol: seriously though, Funi what were you thinking with those slip covers to hold the discs? They freaking suck! But the art book was reaalllyy nice! I was surprised at how small the actual box was that holds the cases. The figure is really awesome too.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 am

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:52 am I just got mine in this morning! I'd like to thank my grandpa's generation for defeating the nazi's because I used my classic ww2 combat knife to open it. :lol: seriously though, Funi what were you thinking with those slip covers to hold the discs? They freaking suck! But the art book was reaalllyy nice! I was surprised at how small the actual box was that holds the cases. The figure is really awesome too.
I really like the look of the figure, I wish it was included with the UK set. Funimations website says its an exclusive figure but the pictures have the standard grandista goku.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm

My set was apparently delivered, but I won't get to it until roughly 10:30 tonight.

From what I can tell, I'm baffled by the figure. I'd like it if it was either Goku in nice, clean gi, or completely destroyed. Instead, it looks like it has these two tiny scratches, which could look like intentional scuffs from far away. If you want to make him damaged, go all-out.

I'm not a figure collector, so to me this isn't even really wanted. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep the figure, but I'm not really interested in it.

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:02 pm

I think the disc booklets are getting a bit of undeserved hate. They are absolutely beautiful in my opinion. However, the opportunity to damage them (or the discs) is high every single time you access a new disc. That's why I ordered VIVA ELITE blu-ray cases off ebay that hold 10 discs per case... so I can put the fancy/awesome box full of disc booklets in storage so they won't get damaged. Here's the cases I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/171001803947 This auction has 5 of them, when you only need 4, but the price is cheaper than Amazon. The disc booklets that come in the 30th Anni set hold 9, 9, 9, and 10 discs, so these cases that hold 10 discs are pretty much perfect.

I'm a graphic designer, so I plan on designing some non-copyright-infringing artwork to fit on those VIVA ELITE cases. If plenty of people end up wanting to get the same VIVA ELITE cases... and want artwork to fit in them... I'll consider having multiple copies of my designs printed that I can sell. Again, I am NOT going to infringe on Funimation or Toei's copyright by using any of their logos or artwork. I will design everything from scratch. I will also (likely) design and print cards that go inside the cases that will say what episodes are on each disc in each set, so opening the awesome looking disc booklets Funimation provided us won't be necessary... and you can just leave them in storage like me where they will be unharmed.

If you're interested in buying case artwork from me, just send me a PM. I don't know what I'll charge yet, but it will probably be around or less than $20. And no, you PMing me isn't a contract to buy... it's just letting me know that ___ number of people might be willing to pay $20 for artwork that will fit the 4 VIVA ELITE 10-disc cases they bought off ebay or Amazon. I do plan on making my designs somewhat similar in color and font choices to the Funimation designs, but I will be designing it all from scratch, so I don't infringe on their rights. Also, I likely won't start this project until the holidays, because I work full-time and can't work on it at my job.

And if this sort of thing isn't allowed on Kanzenshuu... well... I'm sorry. I looked everywhere on Kanzenshuu's forum and I couldn't find the rules posted anywhere regarding offering items for sale. Keep this thread on-topic and just PM me if you are interested in potentially buying what I create. If at least 10 people are interested, I'll look into how much I'd have to charge to cover my expenses and time. I'll end up putting a thread up on DBF (where I know discussion like this can take place) when I figure out pricing and have an idea of what my design will look like.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Brangeta wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:02 pm Again, I am NOT going to infringe on Funimation or Toei's copyright by using any of their logos or artwork. I will design everything from scratch.
It doesn't bother me that you're doing this, it might for others.

But just to let you know, reproducing any of the characters even from scratch and selling it is an infringement. That's why people require a licence before making toys and other products. So unless you're making these covers characterless or inventing you're own characters (I've seen someone design "radette" female version of radits lol) then youre infringing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm

bigray wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 pm reproducing any of the characters even from scratch and selling it is an infringement.
I think the "and selling it" is the crucial part here. If you aren't making money from it, it's easier for the rights-holders to ignore unless they're ESPECIALLY anal about it.

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:19 pm

I may not include characters on it at all. It depends how the design looks without them.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Yeah, copyright is pretty solid like that. The series name, character names, characters themselves, (arguably) the characters' likeness, the story, etc. are all owned by someone.

Don't get me wrong -- do I think that Toei, Shuesha, Shonen Jump, Funimation, or anybody would fight you for selling your art? Very unlikely. I say that mostly due to visibility (I think that you'd fly way under their radar). The morality of trying to make money off of something inspired by an existing work is up for debate as well. But, I will say this: there's a whole lotta free fanart out there, so I'm not sure how much money you'd rake in with this.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:31 pm

I haven't been paying much attention to the thread, but it hasn't been overwhelmingly positive in its appraisal of this release. So I ask this in all sincerity, why is anyone here buying it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:31 pm I haven't been paying much attention to the thread, but it hasn't been overwhelmingly positive in its appraisal of this release. So I ask this in all sincerity, why is anyone here buying it?
Here's a synopsis:

The majority of complaints that came out in the past few days has to do more with packaging than video quality. Furthermore, everyone already bought it, so nobody's "buying it" after all of these complaints came out. Finally, people wrote why they bought it -- many bought it because it's the only complete 4:3 release except for the Dragon Box and there's a fear of this being the last physical release for the series.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:54 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 pm The majority of complaints that came out in the past few days has to do more with packaging than video quality.
I think the biggest issue here is that FUNI truly has the capacity to release the version almost everyone here wants. They have just chosen not to do so.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 pm

ect5150 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:54 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 pm The majority of complaints that came out in the past few days has to do more with packaging than video quality.
I think the biggest issue here is that FUNI truly has the capacity to release the version almost everyone here wants. They have just chosen not to do so.
That's been said since day one, as compared to a release that came out years ago.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:12 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 pm
That's been said since day one, as compared to a release that came out years ago.
I guess my point is if the video quality had been likely everyone truly wanted, the packaging issues wouldn't have been as large of an issue (not saying they would have vanished, but people were pissed enough already... packaging issues just added gas to the fire).
ect5150

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 pm

ect5150 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:12 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 pm

I guess my point is if the video quality had been likely everyone truly wanted, the packaging issues wouldn't have been as large of an issue (not saying they would have vanished, but people were pissed enough already... packaging issues just added gas to the fire).
But everyone knew about the video quality beforehand, the packaging issues are just icing.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm

What the hell happened to Nathan Johnson's music in this set? The recap is now using Mark Menza from GT.

Apparently the Recap music used from the UUEs and the Orange Bricks aren't in this one? :cry:

So instead of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfHw1Jf07Q

It's using one I can't even find on YouTube. Super Sad! Other than that my box came in pristine condition with Authenticity number 2505.

Aside from what people are saying I think the video and picture looks exquisite. The art book is absolutely amazing! Some really high quality animation Cel Scans in there. The figure is also just fantastic.
Last edited by SuperSaiyanPan on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:31 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm What the hell happened to Nathan Johnson's music in this set? The recap is now using Mark Menza from GT.

Apparently the Recap music used from the UUEs and the Orange Bricks aren't in this one? :cry:
Wow, that's really odd. I don't know why they would alter it now for whatever reason considering that is not what was used on the past releases or on TV.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm

I made this comparison using the screenshots from https://slow.pics/comparison/d920b5b4-7 ... f6e205a512
so I figured I'd share it here as well.

If you want to see a bunch of clips, this guy has been putting up tons of them: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjNqxq ... zRQ/videos

I think it's getting more hate than it deserves (primarily on Facebook, but some here) from people who don't own it (or haven't watched enough of it) who are still judging it based on youtube videos made in April from footage from Funimation's trailers/commercials.

Listen to the people who say they own it and have spent more than 30 minutes watching it. Most of us are liking it quite a lot. :)

I really enjoy watching it, and don't regret the $375 going out of my pocket. It looks better than the 16:9 blu-rays... they aren't over-exposed like those, the saturation of colors was turned down compared to those, and the show is cropped very similarly to how it was supposed to be cropped. I do like the Level sets more for their ability to be paused and analyzed, but this is a great 2nd place.... that wins 1st place for actually being the entire series.

If I watched DBZ on my laptop instead of big tv... I would probably like the Dragon Box or some other release just as much or better. But since I watch it on my big tv from across the room... the quality of this release works out really well. No, it doesn't have the subtle details that the Level sets or Dragon Box has for little tiny detailed character faces in the background. If you want to screenshot the show and have the most detail possible, this isn't probably the best choice for that. But the colors and contrast (in my opinion) are perfect... better than any of the other releases as far as colors are concerned. Of course, that is going to be highly dependent on how your TV is set up... but for me, the color of everything looks the way it should. It animates well and is fun to watch. It's a very good release, particularly for those who watch the show on a TV... instead of sitting 2 feet away on a laptop screen. I'm blown away by how much fun it is to watch it on my TV. It isn't blurry like the DVDs are when they are upscaled.