The image of the Dragon Ball Z Anime restored with the 16mm Masters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Clemsi

The image of the Dragon Ball Z Anime restored with the 16mm Masters?

Post by Clemsi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi everybody !

A friend of mine shared an interesting tweet about the image of the Dragon Ball Z Anime restored with the 16mm Masters.
https://twitter.com/drmurow/status/1192 ... 72069?s=09

The translation of the tweet :
"The fans restored the sound of Dragon Ball Z with the broadcast audio, and now they restored the image with the 16mm Masters.
I think Toei should check their ego and accept the work of the fans on the series."

Dragon Box : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EItOwFfU4AABiOM.png
16mm Masters : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EItOwFfUUAABEVF.jpg

The difference is huge.
I didn't know that even in 4:3, the image of the Dragon Box was cropped.

What do you think about this project ?
And do you know where we can find informations about this project ?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: The image of the Dragon Ball Z Anime restored with the 16mm Masters?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm

There is no project. That tweet just took an image Kei17 posted in another thread and posted it sans context. Apparently a collector in Japan owns an original print of an episode, and shared this image with Kei. As Kei states in that thread, not all episodes are in collectors' hands. In fact, it's likely that only very few are in collectors' hands.

But yes, the Dragon Box does not show the whole image on the film frame, not even close. It's worth noting that the Levels were about as large a framing area as you can have without having rounded blank corners, short-lived as that release was.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank you for your answer !
I am gonna tell others fans who are interested by this image that there is no project then.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:21 pm There is no project. That tweet just took an image Kei17 posted in another thread and posted it sans context. Apparently a collector in Japan owns an original print of an episode, and shared this image with Kei. As Kei states in that thread, not all episodes are in collectors' hands. In fact, it's likely that only very few are in collectors' hands.

But yes, the Dragon Box does not show the whole image on the film frame, not even close. It's worth noting that the Levels were about as large a framing area as you can have without having rounded blank corners, short-lived as that release was.
To be precise, the owner sent me his film reels, and I scanned them myself. I have access to the original data, but I can't show you video clips without permission from him.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Toei Animation no longer has the video masters of the episodes of the series? Did they do the same as the cels?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 am

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:46 pm Toei Animation no longer has the video masters of the episodes of the series? Did they do the same as the cels?
You misunderstand. Toei still has the original film masters. But the copies of those masters, which were sent to TV stations and the like, were either destroyed or made their way into the collectors' market.
Animation cels were, I think, sold off.
kei17 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:02 pm To be precise, the owner sent me his film reels, and I scanned them myself. I have access to the original data, but I can't show you video clips without permission from him.
I see. Understandable.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.