Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by omegacwa » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 pm

The way I saw Caulifila was kind like a Bi sexual warlord type character. Like she does who ever she wants because she’s in charge. Kale is one of her subservients and gets super jealous whenever she shows attention or affection towards others and it wasn’t until she discovered her berserk strength that she was able to act out her jealous rage.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Didn't Piccolo have a weird reaction in DBS when Goku and Vegeta were talking about their wives? It was said that, because Goku and Vegeta are strong, so are Chi-Chi and Bulma with them, but to Piccolo it was like a revelation, like he had been trying to figure it out. Toriyama said that he was a hermaphrodite, but Piccolo's been depicted as curious about women, so maybe he puts his mind into being as expected for a male looking alien. He's unlike somebody who's been absent from society. He knows their rules and wants to fit in like somebody would expect him to.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm not hanging a fucking noose, I'm stating a fact: Don't come in here without reading the intent of the thread or any of its body and then throw around accusations, insults, and generally be an ass to people without expecting them so say some variation of, "Eh fuck you too buddy."
Thats literally what YOU guys have been doing this whole thread. At some point you have to recognize that the left has gone too far and the whole LBGT movement has devolved into children shouting at the top of the tallest soapbox they can find, and with blatant racism and a disgusting doses of victim mentality. It really does take away from people within the community who are actually fighting for much needed equality.

Julie is a great example of this. At best, she's a very confused, ignorant racist. She never fails to remind us of her personal struggle on almost every page in this thread and is literally not capable of reading anything outside the context of her perception of the world, let alone having a discussion. (She also has a habit of inserting herself into the black struggle despite being an evil white person herself)

The double standards in the radicalized LBGT movement are absolutely outstanding and eerily similar to feminism which also got hijacked in the last couple of decades. I wish more people held their own accountable to their bullshit instead of blindly supporting terrible ideas.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:10 pm

You can't just call everyone you don't like racist.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:10 pm You can't just call everyone you don't like racist.
Are trying to be ironic? Either way, thank you.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm not hanging a fucking noose, I'm stating a fact: Don't come in here without reading the intent of the thread or any of its body and then throw around accusations, insults, and generally be an ass to people without expecting them so say some variation of, "Eh fuck you too buddy."
Thats literally what YOU guys have been doing this whole thread. At some point you have to recognize that the left has gone too far and the whole LBGT movement has devolved into children shouting at the top of the tallest soapbox they can find, and with blatant racism and a disgusting doses of victim mentality. It really does take away from people within the community who are actually fighting for much needed equality.

Julie is a great example of this. At best, she's a very confused, ignorant racist. She never fails to remind us of her personal struggle on almost every page in this thread and is literally not capable of reading anything outside the context of her perception of the world, let alone having a discussion. (She also has a habit of inserting herself into the black struggle despite being an evil white person herself)

The double standards in the radicalized LBGT movement are absolutely outstanding and eerily similar to feminism which also got hijacked in the last couple of decades. I wish more people held their own accountable to their bullshit instead of blindly supporting terrible ideas.

G*sh, this is h*cka moe.

Babe, I'm just a Basic Hispanic-White Girl lookin' for some dick to suck, please don't make up weird things about me.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

"The left has gone too far"

Everyone's gone too fucking far. We're in a fucked up, elevated, hyper-emotional state at all times because social media (and the media at large) has made it the defacto fucking way of life by constantly bombarding us with everyone's opinions, everyone's "hot takes", and everyone's trollish behavior, combined with a complete lack of any type of oversight when it comes to the news and basic fact checking.

I personally agree that some of Julie's responses were overboard, and while I respect her opinion and her perspective (and have a great deal of empathy for her), I would definitely do thinks differently than she has. But if you're going to respond to what you perceive as a lack of decorum by defending someone who made a bad faith argument and insulted us without even bothering to do due diligence, especially to me-- ME-- who has been polite and friendly and patient as fuck this whole thread? Then don't act like you're better, 'cause y'aint.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeah, I'm being bitchy. I have zero patience for what I consider dumb fuckery. Could I be nicer? Eeeeh, I'll start beating around the bush and that just annoys me so I'd rather just be blunt. ♥

I'll repeat one of my earlier posts when I was still holding my tongue:
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 pm Someone suggested introducing queer themes to future projects. One of two queer people agreed with the idea. What cylinder in one's brain has to fire off at the mere idea of introducing queer themes to future projects to be something one needs to object to? I am genuinely baffled.
I've been re-reading my posts in this thread. Wow, I sure got bitchy and butt hurt after a while. :lol: My sentiment and suspicions remain, however. There are a lot of suspiciously staunch objections to the mere idea of GSRM in this thread and it's something I do not believe I am wrong to demand more respect for.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I still don't see what the big deal is about Piccolo stating he's asexual, if the topic happens to come up in some form of media.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 pm I still don't see what the big deal is about Piccolo stating he's asexual, if the topic happens to come up in some form of media.
Literally I think it's just the vocabulary. If some lady has the hots for the big green pecs, it's not exactly unreasonable for Toriyama to write him saying "no go away" or "I don't do that stuff" or whatever. It's just that the phrase "I am asexual" doesn't quite cotton to Piccolo's regular speaking manner.
KaiserNeko wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm "The left has gone too far"

Everyone's gone too fucking far. We're in a fucked up, elevated, hyper-emotional state at all times because social media (and the media at large) has made it the defacto fucking way of life by constantly bombarding us with everyone's opinions, everyone's "hot takes", and everyone's trollish behavior, combined with a complete lack of any type of oversight when it comes to the news and basic fact checking.
I don't like the implication that it was ever different from this, or making a false equivalence like "both sides went too far". It was easier for liberals to pretend things were good before Trump was elected, and consequently easier for conservatives to walk all over them, but progressives and reactionaries are fighting for the same things as ever. Case in point, this guy defends anti-progressive rhetoric anytime it doesn't harm his brand of political correctness. It's only racist or sexist once it's about him.

I think Julie could stand to be more careful with her language in some instances, but as a white cishet dude, I've been here long enough to know that when she's talking about the ways white cishet dudes can be shitty to others for their race, gender or sexuality, it's not really being aimed at me. And there's really no loss in treating bad-faith actors like they aren't welcome when they spew bullshit about how all progressive movements "have been corrupted by evil SJWs and need to be whipped back into shape", which is usually code for "I don't want to think about this, make them stop talking about it" at it's most innocent.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 pm I still don't see what the big deal is about Piccolo stating he's asexual, if the topic happens to come up in some form of media.
Literally I think it's just the vocabulary. If some lady has the hots for the big green pecs, it's not exactly unreasonable for Toriyama to write him saying "no go away" or "I don't do that stuff" or whatever. It's just that the phrase "I am asexual" doesn't quite cotton to Piccolo's regular speaking manner.
KaiserNeko wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm "The left has gone too far"

I don't like the implication that it was ever different from this, or making a false equivalence like "both sides went too far". It was easier for liberals to pretend things were good before Trump was elected, and consequently easier for conservatives to walk all over them, but progressives and reactionaries are fighting for the same things as ever. Case in point, this guy defends anti-progressive rhetoric anytime it doesn't harm his brand of political correctness. It's only racist or sexist once it's about him.

I think Julie could stand to be more careful with her language in some instances, but as a white cishet dude, I've been here long enough to know that when she's talking about the ways white cishet dudes can be shitty to others for their race, gender or sexuality, it's not really being aimed at me. And there's really no loss in treating bad-faith actors like they aren't welcome when they spew bullshit about how all progressive movements "have been corrupted by evil SJWs and need to be whipped back into shape", which is usually code for "I don't want to think about this, make them stop talking about it" at it's most innocent.
Blaming an ethnicity with some kind of hyper generalization is one of the very definitions of racism. What is wrong with you? Like someone said, replace "white men" with anything else and tell me what it sounds like. If you're white, people especially in that community have carte blanche to rip into you based on your skincolor.

Now I've nowhere near experienced the level of racism blacks and other minorities have but at the very least it's made me think about something I've never thought about before: The color of my skin. And in a really shitty way that screams "I'm different". Which means the left is doing the exact same things as the right is known for. It's divisive. It's racism. It helps literally nobody. The left needs to realize that because they are becoming a right wing parody of themselves.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi, I'm Julie and I'm a trans girl who likes all genders! I would be happy to see a franchise I love, Dragon Ball, include queer folks like me in its productions. It's always nice when a popular franchise can help lift up the public opinion of a minority group. It's also heartening to see people like us in the media we already love!

~Julie
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 pm

I don’t think it’s my or anyone’s place to tell someone from a marginalized group how to respond or fight back. But that’s just me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Eh, well, principle we should not be resulting to direct threats of violence or physical violence against people. I do understand the argument for political violence against the government, though, especially since our rights are being stripped right in front of our eyes.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:09 pm

Desassina wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:50 pm Didn't Piccolo have a weird reaction in DBS when Goku and Vegeta were talking about their wives? It was said that, because Goku and Vegeta are strong, so are Chi-Chi and Bulma with them, but to Piccolo it was like a revelation, like he had been trying to figure it out.
This sounds more like the old "these women are so crazy and scary, how could Goku and Vegeta be with them???" joke that pops up from time to time more so than anything else, but I haven't seen those scenes so I can't say for sure.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm Like someone said, replace "white men" with anything else and tell me what it sounds like.
Never heard this one before.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm Now I've nowhere near experienced the level of racism blacks and other minorities have but at the very least it's made me think about something I've never thought about before: The color of my skin. And in a really shitty way that screams "I'm different".
Yes. You are different. That's the whole point. That's not racism. That's reality.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 pm
Shaddy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:10 pm You can't just call everyone you don't like racist.
Are trying to be ironic? Either way, thank you.
I highly doubt that anyone has called you a bigot simply because they dislike you or disagree with you. Most likely you have been called a bigot because you sound like a bigot. Your posts consistently contain the language of anti-LGBTQ+ thinking. Each and every one of them check all of the boxes. Perhaps it's time for some self-reflection.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 am

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:07 amIt would be such a big step for the LGBTQQIP2SAA community if Piccolo got put into the spotlight with this aspect highlighted a bit. (a side-adventure on New Namek perhaps?) This could be done just in time for the 2020 olympics
Well Nameks are biologically asexual so they don't choose their gender or sexuality. In a way, this might be counterproductive since Piccolo is conforming to the sexuality he was assigned at birth based on his reproductive organs. Wouldn't you prefer a new character that's human or member of a race that have more than one gender to identify as asexual? If that were the case, the character would have options and chose the sexuality they felt defined them.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 am

Skar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 am
Jord wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:07 amIt would be such a big step for the LGBTQQIP2SAA community if Piccolo got put into the spotlight with this aspect highlighted a bit. (a side-adventure on New Namek perhaps?) This could be done just in time for the 2020 olympics
Well Nameks are biologically asexual so they don't choose their gender or sexuality. In a way, this might be counterproductive since Piccolo is conforming to the sexuality he was assigned at birth based on his reproductive organs. Wouldn't you prefer a new character that's human or member of a race that have more than one gender to identify as asexual? If that were the case, the character would have options and chose the sexuality they felt defined them.
This brings to mind two things.

1. If people want an asexual icon in Dragon Ball, it is Son Goku. The character has zero interest in sex or romance. And we know that isn’t a species trait.

2. Do we know indisputably that Namekians are a one gender race that reproduce asexually? The one Namekian we saw do this was a demonic entity who was mostly spitting out decidedly non-Namekian looking spawns until he rebirthed himself. Not sure if we can use him as hard evidence that this is how the species reproduces as a whole.

And yeah it would appear Namekians are all male, certainly any Namekian with speaking lines was, but we don’t (far as I’m aware) know with 100 percent certainty that all Namekians are male. This from a series that mostly leans on being a sausage fest anyways so some of the non-speaking Namekians could have been female.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 am
Skar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 am
This brings to mind two things.

1. If people want an asexual icon in Dragon Ball, it is Son Goku. The character has zero interest in sex or romance. And we know that isn’t a species trait.

2. Do we know indisputably that Namekians are a one gender race that reproduce asexually? The one Namekian we saw do this was a demonic entity who was mostly spitting out decidedly non-Namekian looking spawns until he rebirthed himself. Not sure if we can use him as hard evidence that this is how the species reproduces as a whole.

And yeah it would appear Namekians are all male, certainly any Namekian with speaking lines was, but we don’t (far as I’m aware) know with 100 percent certainty that all Namekians are male. This from a series that mostly leans on being a sausage fest anyways so some of the non-speaking Namekians could have been female.
The Eldest was the last remaining Namekian on Namek and it was stated that he fathered all 100+ of the population in the Freeza Arc.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:39 am

As it has been stated again and again, it would be out of character for him to do so. The most we get is him stating that he is Namekian. He is a character that probably wouldn't even be aware of terms like these, not mention he's been shown to have pretty outdated notions regarding many things so for him to suddenly start making these statements would be hard to digest- the political/marketing aspect of it would be so transparent and it would pretty much be only remembered as this instead of a character defining moment.

Edit: Another aspect, even though I'm not sure how much of an issue this could be: DB has a pretty large NSFW section within the fandom and Piccolo has his fair share of fans that like him that way ( I can't say for sure, I only see glimpses of this section here and there) Given how fans like to go at each-others throats in the most mean-spirited viscous ways sometimes I can only imagine what would happen if he'd suddenly be the official icon of asexuality.
Last edited by Michsi on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:43 am

Okay it's Sunday night and I don't really feel like getting any more energetic. I'm gonna make a concerted effort to actually be convincing here even if I'm still a paradox-of-tolerance guy. I hope you take it into consideration.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm Blaming an ethnicity with some kind of hyper generalization is one of the very definitions of racism. What is wrong with you?
Again, I admit I think Julie could have gone for different language here, but it seems like you're getting hung up on the tone rather than the point, that privileged people can trend toward dismissing the struggles of others and being selfish. That she is using "white cishet man" as the label is certainly capable of criticism, but I think if you straight up asked her "is there an inherent difference between the behavior of certain races" right now, her answer would still be no. The fact is, society pushes us white dudes to be a certain way, and rejecting that can lead down the path of the groups trying to dismantle those social constructs, or it can push us toward the groups leading to enforce them so toxically that we commit genocide. The nature of the statement about the effects about racial privilege can be criticized, but the effect it describes is statistically, scientifically indisputable.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm Like someone said, replace "white men" with anything else and tell me what it sounds like.
Doing this ignores context and makes a false equivalence of the level of suffering white and non-white people experience for their race. White people suffer for our race as much as we suffer for having brown hair or a second toe that's longer than the first. I would be confused by someone hating me for my toes, but ultimately I am unharmed.

Think of it like this: if all the politicians, police, billionaires, conservative pundits, fascist groups and news stations were controlled by black women instead of mostly white men, do you think Julie still would have started that sentence with "white cishet men"? In a "theory-only" bubble your race is no different than your hair or eye color, which is practically useless in terms of defining societal progression. In that bubble, hating white people and hating black people are equivalent. But in terms of the real world, race discussion is about the distribution of power, and has lead to horrible acts of violence and cruelty. And that most definitely isn't equal.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm If you're white, people especially in that community have carte blanche to rip into you based on your skincolor.
I'd really like to know where you're getting this. In my experience it basically never happens unless an individual mistakenly (or maliciously) conflates the whiteness with their own shitty behavior.

I will admit I have seen people vent in private about the way they've been treated for their race by white people, but I still know better than to conflate this with the white fascist groups trying to influence policy for purposes of ethnic cleansing, and I recognize that even if that is what they wanted, they have far, FAR less power to make anything resembling that happen.

For reference, even acknowledging that their existence is kind of America's fault, lefties aren't going to be any nicer to ISIS or Al Qaeda than your local skinhead group.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm Now I've nowhere near experienced the level of racism blacks and other minorities have but at the very least it's made me think about something I've never thought about before: The color of my skin. And in a really shitty way that screams "I'm different".
The simple fact is: white racism makes things bad for white people too. Getting rid of it in all forms would improve different things for us than for people of color, but it would improve things nonetheless, unless you really want to profit from a system unfairly biased toward you. In a similar way, feminism? Has tons of things to say about how men can be made happier, and how gender equality will improve things for them too. It's not a zero-sum game, basic human compassion and empathy aren't finite resources that only get expended for certain groups and others are willfully discriminated against.

I understand self-conscious feelings about whiteness in discussions like this, but that's a result of white racism, not the people trying to get rid of it. We shouldn't mistake our friends for enemies. If you think anti-racism measures are doing something bad, then you need to express your opinion on constructing better ways of fighting racism. None of this includes shutting down discussion with "you just hate white people".
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pmIt helps literally nobody. The left needs to realize that because they are becoming a right wing parody of themselves.
This would make me question who exactly you think "the left" is. It's a set of principles, if people are really actually not holding themselves to those, they're just gonna get kicked out. I have never seen a good-faith reasoning as to how the left is supposedly going off-the-rails, the closest I've ever seen to it is the "Bush conspired to make 9/11 happen" crowd. Right wing beliefs tend to be fashioned (fascioned?) more off of looking at anything the left does that they don't like and attacking it. This is where the term "reactionary" comes from.
supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pmWhich means the left is doing the exact same things as the right is known for. It's divisive. It's racism.
The left's understanding of systemic issues, focus on pushing for equal representation and rights, those aren't racially-oppressing actions, they're equalizing ones, regardless of the language they use while doing it. I went through this phase as well in high school. Seeing what restrictions others face for meaningless social constructs like race doesn't mean you have it easy, but it means you should be mindful, conscientious of what experiences others have had and not be so quick to write off movements for equality as "corrupt" because a post on twitter or reddit or something said a member of one did a bad thing.

It's also not like the right's methods. The Jewish question, scientific racism, terrorist denialism, this stuff is nonsense. It falls apart under the barest of scrutiny. The people pushing it are usually motivated by a feeling of emasculation from society and fear that they will never be accepted, but take the path of bigotry because for many it is, in fact, more comforting to be angry and wrong than to be sad and correct. Despair can be crippling, but anger can be motivating.

In terms of "left hates whitey"...no, I really don't see it. Hell, I follow a lot of the biggest leftubers. Oliver Thorne, Harry Brewis, Ian Danskin, Shaun, Three Arrows, the only one who isn't a white guy is Contrapoints, and she's still white. I have never felt alienated from leftist discussion for my race or gender, I've never felt encouraged to alienate people from leftist discussion for race or gender, I've never seen other people alienated from leftist discussion for race or gender. When an Innuendo Studios video starts a sentence with "white people don't see this as x", I know better than to assume he's talking about all white people, and I think you would too.

It's never too late to learn to be better to people that have had a tough time of it, no matter how you might think they compare to you. I think in general we need more spaces for people trying to transition away from this radicalized defense of the status quo and get more of a forward-thinking mindset going, but aren't there yet. Something private, maybe administrated by progressives and ex-reactionaries where people are encouraged to change, but not in the moment judged. I don't have the answers on how to create this, but it's something to think about.