A couple or one sided romance?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

A couple or one sided romance?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Ever since the tournament of power ended, one of the common things I would hear if that Caulifla and Kale are a couple. Personally, I don't see it. I do see a one sided longing from Kale and Caulifla seems to treat Kale as more of a best friend or sister then a lover.

What are your guys thoughts?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: A couple or one sided romance?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:17 pm

again .. tien shinhan and chiaotzu are very close friends but nobody ever judges their relationship before they are like brothers is the case of caulifla and kale, they are like sisters. the point is to be cute

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:22 am

We had a whole thread about whether Tien and Chaotzu were gay for each other. In the end, we couldn't establish that they were, but we couldn't rule it out, either.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Tenshinhan and Chaozu's relationship is also framed very different from Caulifla and Kale's. Maybe you could argue their relationship in the manga is meant to be sisterly, but their dynamic in the anime isn't framed so simply.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 pm

the relationship of caulifla and kale in the manga is non-existent they are basically master and slave

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:31 pm

I think Caulifla is a little dense when it comes to romance but if she knew how Kale felt she'd happily reciprocate. "Oh, wow, why would a girl with your prospects like me?"
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Neither :|
The relationship is pretty much stated to be like sisters
Kale looks up to Caulifla as her friend and vice versa

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 am

I can't say I'm surprised that some would ask that.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 am

Ten and Chaozu are clearly Jay and Silent Bob esque “hetero lifemates” . I'd be fine if they were gay but there is no evidence that's the case. I think Ten is more likely to be asexual then gay given his overall stoic vibe.

Kale definitely wants to bone Cauli tho. Deffo strong sapphic vibes.

Cauli I'm not sure. I could see them doing an implied love triangle thing with Cabba but I hope they don't.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:10 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 am Cauli I'm not sure. I could see them doing an implied love triangle thing with Cabba but I hope they don't.
nah ... that's impossible for 2 reasons
if it has not happened to gohan despite the fact that it is popular, less happen to cabba that is secondary
in the animations they seem to want to keep him away ... in dragon ball super heros while caulifla and kale fought together cabba fought separately as if he were a stranger

so ... no, is more easy that caulifla and kale as couple :lol:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:10 pm
TobyS wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 am Cauli I'm not sure. I could see them doing an implied love triangle thing with Cabba but I hope they don't.
if it has not happened to gohan despite the fact that it is popular, less happen to cabba that is secondary
in the animations they seem to want to keep him away ... in dragon ball super heros while caulifla and kale fought together cabba fought separately as if he were a stranger

Heroes has no bearing though...

Anyway, end of Super, Caulifla wanted BOTH to train with her to attain SSJ3. Can't remember if Goku told them about the power drain drawback though...

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:00 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Heroes has no bearing though...

Anyway, end of Super, Caulifla wanted BOTH to train with her to attain SSJ3. Can't remember if Goku told them about the power drain drawback though...
but in that he stays true to his personalities and what was seen in the original series even though fans think that the 3 are a team really are not and have never fought together in the anime or manga.
Cabba and Hit fight on their own in TOP / Heroes.
Kale and Caulifla fight together in TOP / Heroes
Caulifla also wanted Goku to teach him the SSJ3 and SSB, which he could not do on her own ... that scene, like the final one, is more a sample of than caulifla has more respect for goku and cabba nothing else .
It is what was shown anyway caulifla and kale are criminals while cabba is police never made sense a friendship between the 3, in the friendships of goku that each makes his/her life and rarely meet again, is the normal.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm Anyway, end of Super, Caulifla wanted BOTH to train with her to attain SSJ3. Can't remember if Goku told them about the power drain drawback though...
The hell's that gotta do with this question? :lol:

Anyways, I'd be 100% down for them to be an actual couple. I've always been a "Cauli-Kale" shipper, so seeing them actually becoming a couple would make me the happiest boy on Earth. :mrgreen:
Caulifla best girl! :)

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm

Using a promotional advertisement is laughable not to mention heroes is its own thing
Also no there’s not gonna be a love triangle between the three
Caulifla looks as kale as a sister/friend and kale does as well
Cabba just a friend to them

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:14 pm

Block88 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm

Using a promotional advertisement is laughable not to mention heroes is its own thing
Also no there’s not gonna be a love triangle between the three
Caulifla looks as kale as a sister/friend and kale does as well
Cabba just a friend to them
one thing is that db heroes is ridiculous to calculate the power of characters or logic in the continuities in which I agree it makes no sense but to shows the personalities of the characters it should not be bad to be based on the originals ... caulifla and kale they were well represent their behavior was identical to the tournament they fight as a team but not with others, cabba or hit
I don't know exactly what is wrong

Anyway, in the last I agree

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Granted, I'm pretty oblivious to romance, myself, but to me, their relationship always came across as more sisterly than anything. I'd probably have to agree with GreatSaiyaJeff's take, since, whether we want to regard it as romantic or not, we see a very one-sided attraction from Kale, while Caulifla seems to view her as more or less just a good friend and teammate. Given that Caulifla has a sibling herself (and older brother, if I recall), I wouldn't be surprised if she was trying to fulfil a big sister role in Kale's life. Please, correct me if I'm missing anything, it's been a while.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm not trying to stretch anything but to me, Kale is all OVER Caulifla in terms of romantic feelings. Maybe she's not even aware of it but she got so jealous watching her fight Goku. She couldn't stand them smiling at eachother. In my mind, Kale was worried that something could possibly develop there.

Caulifla, on the other hand, does see Kale as a sister. And while Kale shares that sentiment, there are one-sided romantic feelings attached. That's not to say Kale would ever act on it, but I think her actions paint a very clear picture.
-Questrider

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Maybe they're friends who occassionally throw each other a bone during a dry spell?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm Maybe they're friends who occassionally throw each other a bone during a dry spell?
They're women-loving-women but not actually in a relationship? What? Why are you taking the extra and unnecessary step of just erasing the possibility of two women--whom you deem women-loving-women--being in a relationship? Like, I really don't understand this logic at all.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm Maybe they're friends who occassionally throw each other a bone during a dry spell?
They're women-loving-women but not actually in a relationship? What? Why are you taking the extra and unnecessary step of just erasing the possibility of two women--whom you deem women-loving-women--being in a relationship? Like, I really don't understand this logic at all.
It was a joke. I'm riffing on the idea that all friendships are strictly platonic and that friends don't sometimes hook up when there's nothing else going on in their lives.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes