Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:15 am

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/dis ... ball-movie
Just a few days after the launch of their extremely popular streaming service, Disney doesn’t look like they’re planning on slowing down any time soon. In fact, it seems like they’re just getting started.

According to sources close to We Got This Covered – the same ones who told us the Mouse House was developing an Aladdin sequel, which we now know to be true – the studio’s next big venture is expected to be a live-action adaptation of the beloved Japanese anime TV series Dragon Ball. Apparently, the film will feature an exclusively Asian cast and operate with a very big budget, meaning that executives think this could be the beginning of another blockbuster franchise.

For those unfamiliar, the Japanese show’s widespread popularity has made it a cultural icon that continues to captivate viewers to this day. The episodes have thus far inspired fifteen movies, two TV specials, three sequel series, collectible trading cards, various action figures, numerous soundtracks, several companion books and 148 video games, among other things. Most of this content has been released in Japan, though the show’s fanbase is spread out throughout the world.

In fact, Dragon Ball is one of the top twenty highest-grossing media franchises of all-time, having hauled in over $20 billion in total revenue as of last year. While it’s currently unknown whether the movie will be based around the original show or the sequel series Dragon Ball Z, either one is likely to draw in a huge crowd. A live-action adaptation, if done correctly, would definitely be another massive hit for Disney but whether they can actually get it right remains to be seen.

In any case, we’ll be sure to bring you more details on this exciting news as they pour in, but in the meantime, we want to hear your thoughts on all this. Tell us, are you excited for a potential Dragon Ball Z movie? And do you think Disney can pull this off? Sound off in the comments below and let us know what you think!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 am

God, I hope not. I have zero confidence in Hollywood to make a good film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 am

They can always surprise me. But live-action and DB, it just doesn't feel and sound right.

I think it would only work if the movies are only very loosely based on the original material, do their own thing and don't serve as an actual adaptation.
How they'll apply the SSJ-thing on live actors without looking completely ridiculous? How horrendous would a CGI-Freeza look like?
Maybe they shouldn't go that route at all and walk a brand new path.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

danyq94

Post by danyq94 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 am God, I hope not. I have zero confidence in Hollywood to make a good film.

I agree. The only solution for Dragon Ball live action would be to make an original story set in the same universe of the series. No revivals of existing arcs.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am

Wow. You guys are negative...

I don't see how Dragon Ball is any different than any other super hero type movie.

Personally I think toning down the energy effects and focusing more on the martial arts elements would be for the best.

The concept of an all Asian cast would be for the best in my opinion.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 am

WeGotThisCovered is not a trustworthy news site. The majority of the rumors they report on end up being completely off the mark, and it's only because of those "broken clock is right twice a day" moments that anyone gives them any attention .
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am Wow. You guys are negative...

I don't see how Dragon Ball is any different than any other super hero type movie.

Personally I think toning down the energy effects and focusing more on the martial arts elements would be for the best.

For a second my brain stopped working after reading that line :?

-‐------------
If they can get actors with decent martial arts experience and a seasoned fight chereographer this could turn out as decent to good live-action martial arts movie.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Disney? Gross. I can only hope this is not true.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 pm
omegacwa wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am Wow. You guys are negative...

For a second my brain stopped working after reading that line :?

-‐------------
If they can get actors with decent martial arts experience and a seasoned fight chereographer this could turn out as decent to good live-action martial arts movie.
From a production stand point it is no different than approaching something like the Avengers. That's what I meant. Don't try to pretend it would be any different.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:11 pm

I'd rather get a tokusatsu movie from Toei Company, directed by Tasaki or Sakamoto. This way the production design, acting and cinematography would be really fun and lively.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Goddamn....not again

Some things are better left alone. Just a decade....exactly 10 years ago, we witnessed monstrosity called evolution...now this rumor..news...whatever u call it😐

Just color swap with Asian casts that know martial-arts with green-screen wouldn't cut-it man. You gotta have real talented director, someone like James Cameroon or Christopher Nolan that immerse the audiences into their world...and DragonBall lore is huge...that it'll take several years if not decade to get things right...just imagine Goku & Co goin into outer-space fighting Frieza...you might think it's like Avengers:Endgame where Cap & co tag along Captain Marvel sneak-up on Thanos & whoop his arse...similar scenario...nope...it's all those years of buildup & events that unfolded before the final showdown with Frieza that made DBZ as memorable as it is...not just one big-ass final battle with cgi, green-screen, explosion wannabe Michael Bay crapfest😂😂😂

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Vijay wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm Goddamn....not again

Some things are better left alone. Just a decade....exactly 10 years ago, we witnessed monstrosity called evolution...now this rumor..news...whatever u call it😐

Just color swap with Asian casts that know martial-arts with green-screen wouldn't cut-it man. You gotta have real talented director, someone like James Cameroon or Christopher Nolan that immerse the audiences into their world...and DragonBall lore is huge...that it'll take several years if not decade to get things right...just imagine Goku & Co goin into outer-space fighting Frieza...you might think it's like Avengers:Endgame where Cap & co tag along Captain Marvel sneak-up on Thanos & whoop his arse...similar scenario...nope...it's all those years of buildup & events that unfolded before the final showdown with Frieza that made DBZ as memorable as it is...not just one big-ass final battle with cgi, green-screen, explosion wannabe Michael Bay crapfest😂😂😂
Why are you assuming in this hypothetical LA they would jump straight to Freeza instead of the first arcs of the manga?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm

I stopped reading at “wegotthiscovered.com”. The only thing that site's useful for is a punchline.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:41 pm

The problem with Dragon Ball Evolution wasn’t so called white washing, its problem was just being a bad movie. lol I think there are better anime to make into live action. But hey, can’t say this won’t peak my interest if true :) I just hope it’s not Asian Dragon Ball Evolution 8)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Don't believe in this BS story until something is official. Also, DBE was a box office failure. I doubt anyone wants to do another live action Dragon Ball movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm Don't believe in this BS story until something is official. Also, DBE was a box office failure. I doubt anyone wants to do another live action Dragon Ball movie.
That's most likely because it completely alienated its own fan base. The movie is as fine as any other low budget grade F action movie, but as a Dragon Ball movie it failed.

A Dragon Ball movie that at least attempts to be 75% faithful with actors who pass as the characters would probably at least break even.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm Disney? Gross. I can only hope this is not true.
Honestly while I don't believe this article, if it were true Disney is the studio I would trust to make a live action Dragon Ball movie work. They have a fantastic track record with Star Wars and the MCU. As long as they have the right directors, writers, actors, composer, etc and a good budget for all the effects I'd be all for it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:12 pm

I don't believe this one. However, just for the sake of it, let's say this is true. Then they definitely got my interest with the Asian cast! Bulma doesn't have to Asian in the film, but Goku, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Krillin sure as hell need to be. "but, but Goku's alien". Yeah, so is Superman and you all would be pissed if a Japanese man was casted as Superman in a live action movie. Clark Kent is Caucasian and I'm pretty sure Toriyama made Goku with the intention of him looking and being Asian, even though he's an alien.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:12 pm

1. We Got This Covered are like Geekdom101: They're not so much reporting news as just sharing rumours they hear. Don't believe this until a proper reporter corroborates it.

2. Disney are trying to build on as many franchises as they can after their huge successes with Marvel and Star Wars. It's believable that they'd use the rights they got from the Fox buyout to try to make a live-action Dragon Ball franchise too.
Largely-Asian cast makes sense. With Disney doing Shang-Chi and Black Panther with Marvel, it's clear they're a studio who aren't quite as ready to whitewash such things as many other studios are.

3. If Disney make a Dragon Ball movie, we could expect to see unexpected, unknown casting, directorial, etc. choices. Given the good work they've done with Marvel doing faithful but distinct adaptations, I could see them making some great movies with the Dragon Ball license. At worst, we'd have some fun movies that have the trappings of Dragon Ball, and have a lot of the feel right, but ultimately are just fairly run-of-the-mill blockbusters for this time period. Which... Well... Given the track record of Dragon Ball movies, would actually be pretty good.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm Goddamn....not again

Why are you assuming in this hypothetical LA they would jump straight to Freeza instead of the first arcs of the manga?
Easy. Cuz its considered trendy in hollywood or any wood for that matter...to cash-in on sumthin popular, to generate world-wide appeal & hence better reach & ROI (return of investment)

Tell me with a straight-face that any director or studio would wanna start off with Kid Goku in Mt with Grandpa Gohan, meeting Bulma, searching for DB & whole emperor Pilaf, 21st TB, RRA Arc takes place😂😂😂