Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Vijay wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:35 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm Goddamn....not again

Some things are better left alone. Just a decade....exactly 10 years ago, we witnessed monstrosity called evolution...now this rumor..news...whatever u call it😐

Just color swap with Asian casts that know martial-arts with green-screen wouldn't cut-it man. You gotta have real talented director, someone like James Cameroon or Christopher Nolan that immerse the audiences into their world...and DragonBall lore is huge...that it'll take several years if not decade to get things right...just imagine Goku & Co goin into outer-space fighting Frieza...you might think it's like Avengers:Endgame where Cap & co tag along Captain Marvel sneak-up on Thanos & whoop his arse...similar scenario...nope...it's all those years of buildup & events that unfolded before the final showdown with Frieza that made DBZ as memorable as it is...not just one big-ass final battle with cgi, green-screen, explosion wannabe Michael Bay crapfest😂😂😂
Why are you assuming in this hypothetical LA they would jump straight to Freeza instead of the first arcs of the manga?
Easy. Cuz its considered trendy in hollywood or any wood for that matter...to cash-in on sumthin popular, to generate world-wide appeal & hence better reach & ROI (return of investment)

Tell me with a straight-face that any director or studio would wanna start off with Kid Goku in Mt with Grandpa Gohan, meeting Bulma, searching for DB & whole emperor Pilaf, 21st TB, RRA Arc takes place😂😂😂
Tell me with a straight face that any director or studio would want to launch a franchise in space about a group of horrible, awful people, among them a green lady, a tree, and a racoon, all kicking ass in space, but it's actually about their feelings.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:32 pm

If they don't start with Dragon Ball then a good starting place would be the start of Z. At the beginning have the characters reminiscing about the 23rd Budokai with flashbacks and then go from there.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:47 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:32 pm If they don't start with Dragon Ball then a good starting place would be the start of Z. At the beginning have the characters reminiscing about the 23rd Budokai with flashbacks and then go from there.
Honestly, unless they start before Z, I will be very doubtful that it's in good hands. Anyone who actually understands the show knows that the "Z" storylines are only half the story. It'd be like if Lord Of The Rings skipped Fellowship Of The Ring. Peter Jackson respected and understood the story, and as such, adapted it properly.

The best way to do it is, honestly, to take some cues from Toei's movies and start with a somewhat loose adaptation of the Red Ribbon arc that also introduces everyone.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:47 pm
omegacwa wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:32 pm If they don't start with Dragon Ball then a good starting place would be the start of Z. At the beginning have the characters reminiscing about the 23rd Budokai with flashbacks and then go from there.
Honestly, unless they start before Z, I will be very doubtful that it's in good hands. Anyone who actually understands the show knows that the "Z" storylines are only half the story. It'd be like if Lord Of The Rings skipped Fellowship Of The Ring. Peter Jackson respected and understood the story, and as such, adapted it properly.

The best way to do it is, honestly, to take some cues from Toei's movies and start with a somewhat loose adaptation of the Red Ribbon arc that also introduces everyone.
I assume you mean something along the lines of what Mystical Adventure and Path to Power sort of did, seeing as they both incorporated elements (characters.etc) of that arc into their overall stories while also being separate from the manga and TV series.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Honestly while I don't believe this article, if it were true Disney is the studio I would trust to make a live action Dragon Ball movie work. They have a fantastic track record with Star Wars and the MCU. As long as they have the right directors, writers, actors, composer, etc and a good budget for all the effects I'd be all for it.
I dislike both of those so I disagree lol. But, anyways my concern has nothing to do with the staff or whether it will be faithful or not. My concern is Disney invading this space as well. They have in my view completely ruined mainstream Hollywood in the last decade or so. They are also a pretty good example of what's wrong with capitalism and why it sucks. So, the last thing I want is for them to swallow one of my favorite works.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:53 pm

I assume you mean something along the lines of what Mystical Adventure and Path to Power sort of did, seeing as they both incorporated elements (characters.etc) of that arc into their overall stories while also being separate from the manga and TV series.
Exactly.

It's the best way to do it. Introduces the characters, adapts the old stories, but at the same time, feels fresh.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Exactly.

It's the best way to do it. Introduces the characters, adapts the old stories, but at the same time, feels fresh.
Yeah, that's what i like in particular about how the four OG Dragon Ball films went about telling their respective plots. They are combinations of different pieces of the manga's and series' events for certain arcs while being told a different way at the same time compared to the former two and gives a new take on certain things already done previously in either of them.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Well it certainly SOUNDS like bullshit.

Either way, no matter what anyone says or does, Dragon Ball does not belong in live action. The series' visuals, I would argue, are one of the most important parts of it's identity. They also will never work in live action. So why bother?

There's been a recent surge in CG films that really nicely imitate 2D aesthetics while still having the advantages of 3D. Spiderverse, Peanuts, the new Spongebob movie (to a degree), and ESPECIALLY the Marza Lupin III film. That'd probably be the ideal choice for Dragon Ball if it weren't 2D animated. Live action for the series will only either look stupid, or nothing like DB. Or both.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:14 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Exactly.

Yeah, that's what i like in particular about how the four OG Dragon Ball films went about telling their respective plots. They are combinations of different pieces of the manga's and series' events for certain arcs while being told a different way at the same time compared to the former two and gives a new take on certain things already done previously in either of them.
Exactly. And that's what I'd like to see out of a new movie. Draws from old material, does a new take, shuffles things around, makes them work for a movie.

And given the work Marvel Studios has done under Disney, this would probably be the way it would be done.

Though I will stress again that We Got This Covered are just stirring up rumours. This is no more confirmed than someone in the '90s in an IRC chatroom claiming they have a friend in Japan who told them Dragon Ball AF is coming.

But, hypothetically, in a live action Dragon Ball movie...
One thing I'd like to see, if they get as far as the Saiyan arc, is they should get William Shatner in as Kaio.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Vijay wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pmTell me with a straight-face that any director or studio would wanna start off with Kid Goku in Mt with Grandpa Gohan, meeting Bulma, searching for DB & whole emperor Pilaf, 21st TB, RRA Arc takes place😂😂😂
Er... that's exactly what Hollywood did a decade ago. Like, full stop, they started with Goku meeting Bulma. At least, I think they did because all my neurons will allow me to recall was that there was a 2002 Spiderman spinoff where notorious weeaboo Peter Parker hallucinated he was an airbender named Son Goku for some reason.

Whenever you think Hollywood studios will be rational, they'll find new and exciting ways to surprise you with how much their ego-driven directors believe they know what's best no matter what the source material or fan reception to it is like.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Anywho, this rumor is bunk, but if there was a live-action Dragon Ball movie, the nationality of the cast isn't what matters to me anywhere near as much as how they present it all.

They could make literally every single person on the movie set, planning process, and script an East Asian and it wouldn't feel like Dragon Ball if all they do is cross some generic kung fu stunts to modern superhero movie tropes.

They could cast everyone as blond-haired blue-eyed Nordic Viking wannabes, but if it's set to a faithful parody of '70s Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest movies with a strong 80s aesthetic and cartoonish parodies of pop-cultural stereotypes (e.g. stereotypes of cowboys and Indians, Hammer horror monsters, generic "army guys", etc.), it'll go very far in capturing the essence of what Dragon Ball is.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:14 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pmTell me with a straight-face that any director or studio would wanna start off with Kid Goku in Mt with Grandpa Gohan, meeting Bulma, searching for DB & whole emperor Pilaf, 21st TB, RRA Arc takes place😂😂😂
Er... that's exactly what Hollywood did a decade ago. Like, full stop, they started with Goku meeting Bulma. At least, I think they did because all my neurons will allow me to recall was that there was a 2002 Spiderman spinoff where notorious weeaboo Peter Parker hallucinated he was an airbender named Son Goku for some reason.

Whenever you think Hollywood studios will be rational, they'll find new and exciting ways to surprise you with how much their ego-driven directors believe they know what's best no matter what the source material or fan reception to it is like.
Evolution jumbled sequences of events. Also, I mentioned Pilaf, 21st TB, RRA Arc. Infact...RRA Arc itself would take whole movie considerin how Path to Power, 10th Anniversary itself was basically retelling of RRA Arc.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:41 pm

WGTC is a garbage website. They are not a reliable source of information in the slightest.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Taika Waititi or the Wachowskis could do it. Besides them, I have my doubts that anyone else in Hollywood could pull this off. Dead on arrival.

omegacwa wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 pm From a production stand point it is no different than approaching something like the Avengers. That's what I meant. Don't try to pretend it would be any different.
Maybe at the most surface level possible? Beyond that, I have no idea why anyone would think this.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Honestly while I don't believe this article, if it were true Disney is the studio I would trust to make a live action Dragon Ball movie work. They have a fantastic track record with Star Wars and the MCU. As long as they have the right directors, writers, actors, composer, etc and a good budget for all the effects I'd be all for it.
I dislike both of those so I disagree lol. But, anyways my concern has nothing to do with the staff or whether it will be faithful or not. My concern is Disney invading this space as well. They have in my view completely ruined mainstream Hollywood in the last decade or so. They are also a pretty good example of what's wrong with capitalism and why it sucks. So, the last thing I want is for them to swallow one of my favorite works.
We don't have Capitalism. I would really love to know what all of you who lambast Capitalism think it actually is.

Disney hasn't ruined mainstream filmmaking. That's flat out ignorant if you really think it's been ruined in the last decade. Disney was just the most successful in taking advantage of a trend.
Which directors are you talking about?

The fundamental problem in Hollywood, moreso in regards to blockbusters, is that its approach isn't long term oriented. They put films into production with a release date before they even have finished scripts. Theatrical release windows are shorter which doesn't allow for as much word of mouth for riskier films to find their audiences. VFX houses either aren't given enough time or they are, but start before the script has been completed so instead of great sequences that help tell the story and pay something off, we get some cool sequences and that's about it. Studios seem to be putting nearly all their eggs in one basket. The fault lies with studios, not directors.

Toriyama seemed to write his stories in ways to not give fans what they wanted and I wish Hollywood would take a page out of his book. Fans are getting more and more of what they want and yet they are still complaining. They've been indulged to the point of becoming entitled.

Anyhoooooooo, this rumor doesn't sound legit, nor does it sound like a good idea in the slightest.
Last edited by ABED on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Dragon Ball is born from Toriyama's love of Kung Fu cinema. If whoever is working on this rumored project keeps that in mind, they could end up making something at least as good as Dragon Tiger Gate (you can watch it on Netflix in the USA). DTG was adapted from a Chinese comic and is a very good movie!!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 pm The fundamental problem in Hollywood, moreso in regards to blockbusters, is that its approach isn't long term oriented. They put films into production with a release date before they even have finished scripts. Theatrical release windows are shorter which doesn't allow for as much word of mouth for riskier films to find their audiences. VFX houses either aren't given enough time or they are, but start before the script has been completed so instead of great sequences that help tell the story and pay something off, we get some cool sequences and that's about it. Studios seem to be putting nearly all their eggs in one basket. The fault lies with studios, not directors.

Toriyama seemed to write his stories in ways to not give fans what they wanted and I wish Hollywood would take a page out of his book. Fans are getting more and more of what they want and yet they are still complaining. They've been indulged to the point of becoming entitled.

Anyhoooooooo, this rumor doesn't sound legit, nor does it sound like a good idea in the slightest.
Writing stories specifically to avoid pleasing the fans probably isn’t the smartest idea, as we’ve seen from something like The Last Jedi. As much as I dislike shallow fan service, I also don’t like the idea of making creative decisions based on what’s most likely to piss off or disappoint fans.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am

I have an asian friend on Facebook who is a small time actor, and he announced he got the part on an upcoming Dragon Ball movie.

Use to know him in real life from Community College, but haven't spoke with him in years.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:31 am

Sounds plausible, though of course it is an easy rumour to make up, as plenty thought of the possibility of Disney doing that should they acquire 21th Century Fox.
I wonder, if they can do it right.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:25 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 am I have an asian friend on Facebook who is a small time actor, and he announced he got the part on an upcoming Dragon Ball movie.

Use to know him in real life from Community College, but haven't spoke with him in years.
Now we're talkin...how does ur friend look like...if u can make a comparison to any DB/Z character...curious...