Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:26 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:06 pm so I'm a little surprised live action DB isn't being talked about. Isn't Netflix making a live action One Piece?
Probably no one wants to do another live action DB movie given how badly DBE turned out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:06 pm If Disney did a DB movie, even under a Fox banner, I would hope they remember it is a children's show.
Why would they forget that? This is Disney we’re talking about. If there’s one studio in Hollywood that’s absolutely obsessed with maintaining their image as a family friendly company, it’s Disney. There’s a reason they used to have a tendency to release their less family friendly films under their Touchstone Pictures banner.
In the mad rush for more TV and film properties, do you think Disney or anyone else would just say "nope, that's too much money on the table." We're in the era of the streaming wars, so I'm a little surprised live action DB isn't being talked about. Isn't Netflix making a live action One Piece?
I guess I could imagine a live action Dragon Ball show or movie on a streaming service, but I’m not sure that Disney of all companies is going to bother investing money in a theatrical Dragon Ball film when they already have a million other IPs to focus on. Anyway, I’m pretty sure Disney isn’t allowed to make a show based on Dragon Ball, since I believe the deal that Fox had only applied to movies.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Ugh.

As I recall saying in a similar thread, I do not trust anyone in current-day Hollywood to produce a decent Dragon Ball adaptation. I guarantee you it'll either be a director who barely cares about the material, or a "fan", more than likely someone who just watched the Z dub on Toonami and that's their entire understanding of the franchise.

Speaking of Z, I an almost certain that's where they'll start. That's where the money is, unfortunately.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:47 pm Ugh.

As I recall saying in a similar thread, I do not trust anyone in current-day Hollywood to produce a decent Dragon Ball adaptation. I guarantee you it'll either be a director who barely cares about the material, or a "fan", more than likely someone who just watched the Z dub on Toonami and that's their entire understanding of the franchise.

Speaking of Z, I an almost certain that's where they'll start. That's where the money is, unfortunately.
As I said earlier, the website that posted this “rumor” is about as unreliable as it gets, so there’s not much reason to worry. I seriously doubt that Disney has any plans for Dragon Ball, at least for the time being.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:52 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm

As I said earlier, the website that posted this “rumor” is about as unreliable as it gets, so there’s not much reason to worry. I seriously doubt that Disney has any plans for Dragon Ball, at least for the time being.
I mean regardless of the reliability of the source...I wouldn't be shocked. Dragon Ball is pretty profitable at the moment, I don't think it's unlikely that the company who just inherited the film rights has taken notice.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:55 pm

The problem with most bad adaptations isn't that they don't care about the source material, it's that they are bad movies. Lack of fidelity to the source material is often the least of their problems.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:57 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:52 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm

I mean regardless of the reliability of the source...I wouldn't be shocked. Dragon Ball is pretty profitable at the moment, I don't think it's unlikely that the company who just inherited the film rights has taken notice.
If Disney was desperate for a new franchise, I could see it happening, but they obviously aren’t. Sure, Star Wars is kind of struggling at the moment, but there’s no way they’re going to prioritize Dragon Ball over that, especially not when Kevin Feige is supposed to be producing an upcoming film.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:06 pm

I think you assume too much. Maybe they don't think it's a movie they could do and be profitable.

Star Wars is making Billions, but sure, it's struggling, and Episode 9 is poised to make Disney over 1B. Not to sound dismissive, but that's just flat out incorrect.

And it's not all the same people working on everything. They can work on DB and Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar. I honestly doubt they wouldn't employ resources to DB if they thought it would make money.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:11 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:06 pm I think you assume too much. Maybe they don't think it's a movie they could do and be profitable.

Star Wars is making Billions, but sure, it's struggling, and Episode 9 is poised to make Disney over 1B. Not to sound dismissive, but that's just flat out incorrect.

And it's not all the same people working on everything. They can work on DB and Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar.
I didn’t say Star Wars is failing outright, but it’s definitely not living up to Disney’s expectations. TLJ was divisive and flopped in China, Solo was the first Star Wars film to flat out bomb, toy sales aren’t doing so hot, they keep losing directors, and Galaxy's Edge has been underperforming so far. Also, keep in mind that my point was that even in its current state, I seriously doubt that Disney would ever prioritize Dragon Ball over Star Wars.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Star Wars doesn't do well in China in general. Solo's problems came down to being a backstory no one asked for with an actor who isn't Harrison Ford, and a GIANT budget due to effectively filming the film twice. It's not struggling, but there are issues that Disney rightly is trying to correct before it does in fact start failing. The fundamental issue as I see it is twofold: banking on nostalgia (which inevitably wears off, like any drug), and the way they kick out directors DURING production.

I said NOTHING about prioritizing DB over Star Wars. Where'd you get that idea? They can do both.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:17 pm Star Wars doesn't do well in China in general. Solo's problems came down to being a backstory no one asked for with an actor who isn't Harrison Ford, and a GIANT budget due to effectively filming the film twice. It's not struggling, but there are issues that Disney rightly is trying to correct before it does in fact start failing. The fundamental issue as I see it is twofold: banking on nostalgia (which inevitably wears off), and the way they kick out directors DURING production.

I said NOTHING about prioritizing DB over Star Wars. Where'd you get that idea? They can do both.
I never claimed that you said they would have to prioritize Dragon Ball over Star Wars. I was saying that if it came down to Star Wars or Dragon Ball, Disney would obviously choose Star Wars.

You’re technically right that Disney can focus on a bunch of different properties at once, but here’s the thing; Disney is going to be releasing four Marvel films a year, at least two animated films a year, probably one or two live action remakes a year, and is planning on alternating between a Star Wars film and an Avatar film every other year. With a packed schedule like that, it doesn’t seem like there’d be much room for them to cram a Dragon Ball film in there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:17 pm Star Wars doesn't do well in China in general. Solo's problems came down to being a backstory no one asked for with an actor who isn't Harrison Ford, and a GIANT budget due to effectively filming the film twice. It's not struggling, but there are issues that Disney rightly is trying to correct before it does in fact start failing. The fundamental issue as I see it is twofold: banking on nostalgia (which inevitably wears off), and the way they kick out directors DURING production.

I never claimed that you said they would have to prioritize Dragon Ball over Star Wars. I was saying that if it came down to Star Wars or Dragon Ball, Disney would obviously choose Star Wars.

You’re technically right that Disney can focus on a bunch of different properties at once, but here’s the thing; Disney is going to be releasing four Marvel films a year, at least two animated films a year, probably one or two live action remakes a year, and is planning on alternating between a Star Wars film and an Avatar film every other year. With a packed schedule like that, it doesn’t seem like there’d be much room for them to cram a Dragon Ball film in there.
That's not how studios work. If they wanted to also do DB, they could always expand. Less than 10 films a year is a packed schedule? Also, given streaming's viability, why are we just assuming a live action movie would have to be released in cinemas?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:27 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 pm

That's not how studios work. If they wanted to also do DB, they could always expand. Less than 10 films a year is a packed schedule?
When every single one of those 10 films is supposed to be a big budget tentpole, I’d say it is pretty packed. Let’s think about it for a moment; the only other time that there has been a live action Hollywood Dragon Ball movie, it was a complete bomb that the studio quickly brushed under the rug. Do you really think a company as risk averse as Disney is going to bother with that, when they have a million more surefire options?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:34 pm When every single one of those 10 films is supposed to be a big budget tentpole, I’d say it is pretty packed. Let’s think about it for a moment; the only other time that there has been a live action Hollywood Dragon Ball movie, it was a complete bomb that the studio quickly brushed under the rug. Do you really think a company as risk averse as Disney is going to bother with that, when they have a million more surefire options?
You're confusing two different issues - budgeting and scheduling. DBE had no budget nor marketing.

If they aren't investing anything in DB, it's not because they think their schedule is too packed. It's because they don't think there's money to be made. If it's just packed, you move things around.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 pm If they aren't investing anything in DB, it's not because they think their schedule is too packed. It's because they don't think there's money to be made. If it's just packed, you move things around.
That was exactly what my point was. Disney most likely doesn’t think there’s money to be made from Dragon Ball, and since they aren’t exactly desperate for a new franchise, there’s no reason to assume that they’d even bother taking a risk with it. The reason I brought up Star Wars was because I was trying to hammer home the obvious fact that Disney isn’t in any hurry to start a new franchise. Not when they have plenty of other proven IPs to milk.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 pm If they aren't investing anything in DB, it's not because they think their schedule is too packed. It's because they don't think there's money to be made. If it's just packed, you move things around.
That was exactly what my point was. Disney most likely doesn’t think there’s money to be made from Dragon Ball, and since they aren’t exactly desperate for a new franchise, there’s no reason to assume that they’d even bother taking a risk with it. The reason I brought up Star Wars was because I was trying to hammer home the obvious fact that Disney isn’t in any hurry to start a new franchise. Not when they have plenty of other proven IPs to milk.
And you are doubling down on the whole "they aren't in a hurry to start a new franchise." They aren't in the habit of leaving money on the table. They would start it if there was money to be made. They are out to make money and aren't going to turn down something that they think might make them money even if they are busy with several other franchises.

And none of this to say that a well done DB couldn't make money, only that it has to be the perception.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:29 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 pm
And you are doubling down on the whole "they aren't in a hurry to start a new franchise." They aren't in the habit of leaving money on the table. They would start it if there was money to be made. They are out to make money and aren't going to turn down something that they think might make them money even if they are busy with several other franchises.
I think you’re confused. I never said they’d turn down something that would make them money. I was saying the exact opposite of that. I was saying that they have no reason to believe there’s money to be made from a live action Dragon Ball film, so why would they even bother? If they were a studio that’s starving for cash (like Paramount), then I could perhaps imagine them green lighting a Dragon Ball film out of desperation, but Disney ain’t desperate.

I absolutely agree that if Disney had reason to believe that there’s profit to be made in a live action Dragon Ball film, then they would go for it, but why would they assume that to begin with?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm

If Disney wants to make a movie about DB, maybe strategically it wouldn't be a bad timing to do it now?
TOEI seem to be rather passive for the time being, this while there is a whole new generation of fans waiting for more DB-related content that is worth watching. I myself am not specifically looking forward to a live-action movie, but i do think there is a big crowd for it, yes.

Disney comes up with a plan for Marvel and Star Wars, with concrete release dates.
They want to re-invest their money in the fans of their biggest franchises.
Even at times when Star Wars is "suffering", they keep on investing in the franchise.
Even if you don't like the new movies, there still is the Mandalorian to watch and several new live-action series are in the pipeline.
I am no Marvel-fan, but Marvel-fans are suffocating in content at the moment and SW-fans are going to the coming years.

I know not everyone here wants the anime to return, and even hate DBS. That's fine. But let's try to view things objectively here and look at the sales numbers.
Some fans still appreciate the new content that is being made. And what are they getting as fans that kept supporting DBS?
What is TOEI doing at the moment?

DB franchise seems to make a lot of money in 2019, but they don't seem to give the fans a lot intresting content for the time being.
We only have Heroes, the manga, and a very very vague promis of a new movie within a few years of now.
They are however one of the biggest world wide money makers concerning manga and anime.

If this 'would' be true and Disney plays their cards well, they may be able to relaunch a DB-revival on their own terms to a big ass audience with a slightly other formula, while feasting on the success of Broly and the path TOEI made. And altough i am at first not a fan for a live-action movie, they would deserve it in my opinion if it were to become a success, if they are willing to invest.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

We're no more suffocating in Marvel content than movies and TV in general. I don't think we've actually hit peak TV yet.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm We're no more suffocating in Marvel content than movies and TV in general. I don't think we've actually hit peak TV yet.

The main question was: why is TOEI being so passive while Disney appears to be very active?
This while in both cases more money making is involved. But if you want to make more money, you basically have to invest on the long term.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.