What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Ehh, Return of Cooler was right up there with Broly for script accuracy.

Movie 12's a strange case where 90% of the lines are punched up with jokes and other dub-isms yet nothing's actually inaccurate either.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:36 pm
Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm Given the point at which you stopped watching the dubs, I'm not surprised that you haven't gone out of your way to at least sample it. The Dragon Ball Z & Z movie dubs were legit shit back then (though Broly's is somehow one of the most accurate for the time in terms of translation & direction, weirdly enough) & the movie's legit trash, so I'm not surprised if no one on this side of the globe hasn't seen the dub.
It’s not just “one of the most accurate”. It’s probably the single most accurate Dragon Ball related dub that FUNimation did prior to 2010, and no, I’m not counting the Pioneer dubs of Movies 1-3.
Yeah, you're probably right, though most of the Z movies were dubbed a few years after the show, or right after they got done dubbing it from what I've found, so I don't know whether it was because they'd been steadily improving as a dubbing company after Z, or if it was a fluke, but it's actually an enjoyable dub for a terrible movie.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:55 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 am Oh, I don't know.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again: people actually, literally, and unironically DEFEND this fucking dub/voicework as compelling and wonderful, and have for almost 20 years now. And still do to this day even in 2019.

This doesn't even remotely NEED any further elaboration or explanation. Its self-invalidating.

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 pmVic may not be a great human being but I'd argue that the man is a voice actor legend similar to Kevin Spacey in the acting business (even though he's also a shit human).

This shit is straight through the goddamn looking glass. This is so beyond delusional that I can't even think of an adequate enough of a comparison to equate it with.

I'm going to reiterate this for the umpteenth time now, because it bears near-constant repeating in this community, and its a large part of where ridiculous statements like this often tend to come from:

Stop watching nothing but exclusively children's cartoons.

For heaven's sake. Actually make a serious, concerted effort to branch out into REAL movies and media for regular, fully grown-ass adults that aren't made to air on things like the Disney Channel or whatnot. Particularly anything that isn't geek or nerd-related. There's a vast, endless, gargantuan UNIVERSE of wonderful, powerfully moving, and genuinely culturally monumental stuff that's out there and that so many of you folks (not all, but a significant number of you) are completely unaware even exists, stuff that utterly blows off the map and is galaxies beyond just about literally anything you ever watched on Fox Kids or Cartoon Network growing up. I'll even go so far as to say objectively fucking so in a great many cases.
...says the guy commenting on an underground Dragon Ball message board. How about instead of lecturing people how to live their lives you go on and enjoy said life? If I'm on a Dragon Ball board I'm going to comment about Dragon Ball and anime in general. If I'm on /r/politics I'm going to comment on our nation's current political status and the fact that Nationalism/Patriotism is a cancer on the world order. If I'm on 4chan I'm going to troll around and if I'm on /r/films I'm going to comment on Scorsese's The Irishman and how his opinion about Marvel movies are valid. Who the hell are you to assume what we watch? You're a nobody, it's really that simple.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:55 am...says the guy commenting on an underground Dragon Ball message board. How about instead of lecturing people how to live their lives you go on and enjoy said life? If I'm on a Dragon Ball board I'm going to comment about Dragon Ball and anime in general. If I'm on /r/politics I'm going to comment on our nation's current political status and the fact that Nationalism/Patriotism is a cancer on the world order. If I'm on 4chan I'm going to troll around and if I'm on /r/films I'm going to comment on Scorsese's The Irishman and how his opinion about Marvel movies are valid. Who the hell are you to assume what we watch? You're a nobody, it's really that simple.
Since I'm massively strapped for time at the moment (as I am indeed quite busy with my own real life affairs), I'm going to just repost here something that I already posted a page or two after the post you're so upset and offended by (and evidently didn't seem to read) that more or less hits on all the relevant points being raised here:

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 pmYou're major mistake here is in presuming up front that my sole means of interacting with people on this forum has been the forum itself. In actuality though, I've had a tremendous degree of interaction with numerous people here off of the forums as well: via PMs, the old IRC chat, a few of the more recent Discord servers, Skype, and even AIM (way back in the earlier days).

My involvement in this community extends FAR beyond solely the public forum discussions. I've met and had countless off-forum relationships and interactions with a very broad, sizable range of users throughout the past nearly 15 years. I'm not simply pulling this from nothing.

Indeed I find it oddly humorous and bizarre how some of the most vocally defensive and passionately outraged responses I've had to my posts on this particular matter (including a good amount via PMs) tend to come from usually folks whom I've never or barely ever exchanged more than a passing few words with and otherwise don't know from Adam.

As far as the latter goes though, all I can do is try to make myself as clear as I possibly, possibly can here:

Once again, this obviously doesn't extend to 100% of EVERYONE who posts on here, and there are plenty of people on here who either have ALWAYS had a more (for lack of a better word) "normal" or "well-balanced" media diet & exposure, or have at the very least much more belatedly started to develop one in more recent years (better late than never) after formerly being of the type of mindset that I'm describing for quite a long time prior.

But with all those necessary caveats said, this is still a mindset prevalent within a significant enough of a chunk of the posting populace on here (from the mid-2000s right on up through to today) that forms so much of the more absurdly skewed, slanted views and objectively warped perspectives on sometimes basic media literacy that dominates the general discourse that's generally found on here: one that's often filtered through a lens that heavily biases and favors exclusive focus on the minutia of 90s and 2000s children's action cartoons and TV shows while at the same time showing a near total and complete apathy, ignorance, and unwillingness to remotely engage with very much of anything else that's from outside that realm of media.

And the main reason I harp on that drum so much isn't to be "smug" or "elitist", or whatever handy, dismissive label is most simple and convenient to throw at me without actually engaging with any of the actual substance of what I'm trying to say: the reason is because this skewed media perspective genuinely gets in the way of and sabotages fruitful discussion and perspective relating to examining ANY form of artistic/creative media... even one for children like Dragon Ball is.

While Dragon Ball is a singular work made for children, its also one that happens to have an extraordinarily wide range and hodgepodge of disparate creative influences that are crucial to its creation: many of which themselves are indeed decidedly NOT necessarily made for or aimed at children (like The Terminator for an oft-recognized Western example). And obviously DB is hardly the ONLY work made for children who's creative DNA is hugely informed by non-children's/adult-skewed media.

Even if your subject of discussion or interest happens to be a work aimed at kids, a complete blinding ignorance of adult-aimed works of art & media, and a refusal/unwillingness to engage with much of any of it on almost any level will almost certainly cripple your ability to examine and thoughtfully discuss it.

Once again, obviously this issue doesn't pertain to EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY person who posts on this forum: if you look at what I'm writing and think to yourself "But I watch and love a ton of Scorsese and Coens movies! How could he accuse ME of this kind of myopia?!" etc, then guess what? You're NOT in fact one of the people here that I'm talking about!

But regardless, when pressed on the matter, yes a very sizable segment of this community throughout my 15 years-long time spent eyeball-deep within it (including some fairly prominent members of it) will openly cop to holding both a disdainful view of non-children's media as a whole while simultaneously in many cases also admitting oftentimes to having an incredibly limited and narrow personal experience with very much of any of it beyond a relative handful of cheesy network TV sitcoms and crappy Hollywood blockbuster movies. I know this not just from dicking around on the forums itself, but moreover from my OFF-FORUM experience with interacting with a great many of these folks and talking about decidedly non-Dragon Ball topics across a very large number of years now.

And that viewpoint of "kids media as the center of my world, whereas non-kids media is inherently negligible and not worth my time or attention" generally breeds a kind of all-purpose ignorance and lack of basic understanding about basic critical gauging and understanding of so much of creative media overall (film, television, music, and otherwise), even those on otherwise a fairly mainstream level outside of children's media, that completely guts and cripples any kind of remotely intelligent, fruitful discussion of it on even a barebones baseline level.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 pm

I always thought that Mignogna's Broly was alright, nothing super special but I i didnt dislike it. I'm a fan of how he does his sinister laugh and i think does a great deep voice for someone one who has a very high pitched feminine one normally.

As for the scene in question I never cared for the insertion of rock music in the movies, honestly I always thought that was a weird choice even as a kid. The falconer score is already comprised of psuedo-elctro rock music, which at the time I was fine with at the time and i still have a bit of a soft spot for some of the tracks. I preferred that over the actual band music just cause having songs that play just seemed so odd, when it something that has nothing to do with the material its presented with.

I'm a rarity in the fandom though, I like both presentations of Dragon Ball, always have. Granted i think i've always leaned to the Japanese cast even as a kid, my first exposure to Broly and quite a few other concepts was through fansubs back in the day, I remember seeing Head Chala and We Gotta Power back in 3rd great and having this weird feeling that something about it was more authentic.

Also I agree with Kunzait, if youre main source of entertainment consumption is through Shonen anime and The Office, then yeah I implore you to broaden your horizons a bit. Even when it comes to anime ,i see so many people list some of their "favorite anime ever" and its usually just a list of a bunch of Shonen stuff. Watch Monster by Naoki Urasawa and come back and tell me you still think Death Note is the greatest thing ever. :wink:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 pm As for the scene in question I never cared for the insertion of rock music in the movies, honestly I always thought that was a weird choice even as a kid. The falconer score is already comprised of psuedo-elctro rock music, which at the time I was fine with at the time and i still have a bit of a soft spot for some of the tracks. I preferred that over the actual band music just cause having songs that play just seemed so odd, when it something that has nothing to do with the material its presented with.
i swear i've read that the reason why they used like nu-metal in those soundtracks is because that's what was super popular with AMV's at the time ? i guess from that aspect it makes some sense, but still, it's so awkward, and i really can't stand that type of music lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Basically they wanted to emphasize how cool DB was. Maybe they assumed the audience were drawn to it just because it was cool and emphasizing the humor and idiosyncrasies of the original version wouldn't appeal to US kids and teens. I can't blame them for thinking that. There's this odd belief amongst kids that for something to be less than serious is childish. Grimdark was big in the 90s.

I don't know, that's just my theory.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:22 pm

As far as FUNimation replacement scores are concerned, the decision to use rock music for Movies 4, 5, 8, and (to a lesser degree) 10, as well as the Bardock and Trunks specials, was certainly a fascinatingly strange choice. It always struck me as weird that a dingy little company (at the time) like FUNimation would go through the trouble of paying royalties to all these bands just to use their music for a bunch of direct to video features, especially when most of them weren’t even an hour long.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Yeah I think the rock music was a great choice that really enhanced the overall product in a way that distinguished the movies from the tv series. It's a step up from the usual Faulconer tracks as it should be when going from ordinary tv episodes to features. It made perfect sense to me.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:02 pm Yeah I think the rock music was a great choice that really enhanced the overall product in a way that distinguished the movies from the tv series. It's a step up from the usual Faulconer tracks as it should be when going from ordinary tv episodes to features. It made perfect sense to me.
Eh that’s a stretch honestly.. if you wanna talk about full cenimatic featurettes like Battle of Gods, F and New Broly then sure. But the “Movies” pre 2013 were never supposed to be marketed as such. They were all animated special features used to continue to promote the anime, which is why they have generic titles and most of the movie villains are just diet versions of the villains of the main series or they try to recreate certain moments and also explains the short run times.. I mean would you really pay 15 bucks to go see a 50 minute “movie”? The animation quality I wouldn’t call it a step up, more so just more consistent through out. There are some anime episodes that are just as good as Movie 12 and some that are just as bad as Movie 6.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:02 pm Yeah I think the rock music was a great choice that really enhanced the overall product in a way that distinguished the movies from the tv series. It's a step up from the usual Faulconer tracks as it should be when going from ordinary tv episodes to features. It made perfect sense to me.
Eh that’s a stretch honestly.. if you wanna talk about full cenimatic featurettes like Battle of Gods, F and New Broly then sure. But the “Movies” pre 2013 were never supposed to be marketed as such. They were all animated special features used to continue to promote the anime, which is why they have generic titles and most of the movie villains are just diet versions of the villains of the main series or they try to recreate certain moments and also explains the short run times.. I mean would you really pay 15 bucks to go see a 50 minute “movie”? The animation quality I wouldn’t call it a step up, more so just more consistent through out. There are some anime episodes that are just as good as Movie 12 and some that are just as bad as Movie 6.
Yeah but as far as the FUNimation audience knows they are just movies. Something that stands apart from the show. Even with the shorter runtimes I think the message is still clear that you are getting something different than usual. Even if it may not have been quite that distinct originally, Funi can just market the movies to fit that image and then the audience is none the wiser. At the very least it's an opportunity to step outside the norm and do something different, while reinforcing the hard-edged tone of the dub.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 pm
To be fair, Movie 8 is 72 minutes long and it does have a bit more going on in terms of the plot than most of the other “movies” from that era. It certainly seems like FUNimation was trying to treat the movie as something special. They even gave it its own unique opening theme.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm To be fair, Movie 8 is 72 minutes long and it does have a bit more going on in terms of the plot than most of the other “movies” from that era. It certainly seems like FUNimation was trying to treat the movie as something special. They even gave it its own unique opening theme.
My guess is that probably has more to do with the insane popularity of Broli and Funi wanting to build on the fan hype.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 am
PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:55 am...says the guy commenting on an underground Dragon Ball message board. How about instead of lecturing people how to live their lives you go on and enjoy said life? If I'm on a Dragon Ball board I'm going to comment about Dragon Ball and anime in general. If I'm on /r/politics I'm going to comment on our nation's current political status and the fact that Nationalism/Patriotism is a cancer on the world order. If I'm on 4chan I'm going to troll around and if I'm on /r/films I'm going to comment on Scorsese's The Irishman and how his opinion about Marvel movies are valid. Who the hell are you to assume what we watch? You're a nobody, it's really that simple.
Since I'm massively strapped for time at the moment (as I am indeed quite busy with my own real life affairs), I'm going to just repost here something that I already posted a page or two after the post you're so upset and offended by (and evidently didn't seem to read) that more or less hits on all the relevant points being raised here:

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 pmYou're major mistake here is in presuming up front that my sole means of interacting with people on this forum has been the forum itself. In actuality though, I've had a tremendous degree of interaction with numerous people here off of the forums as well: via PMs, the old IRC chat, a few of the more recent Discord servers, Skype, and even AIM (way back in the earlier days).

My involvement in this community extends FAR beyond solely the public forum discussions. I've met and had countless off-forum relationships and interactions with a very broad, sizable range of users throughout the past nearly 15 years. I'm not simply pulling this from nothing.

Indeed I find it oddly humorous and bizarre how some of the most vocally defensive and passionately outraged responses I've had to my posts on this particular matter (including a good amount via PMs) tend to come from usually folks whom I've never or barely ever exchanged more than a passing few words with and otherwise don't know from Adam.

As far as the latter goes though, all I can do is try to make myself as clear as I possibly, possibly can here:

Once again, this obviously doesn't extend to 100% of EVERYONE who posts on here, and there are plenty of people on here who either have ALWAYS had a more (for lack of a better word) "normal" or "well-balanced" media diet & exposure, or have at the very least much more belatedly started to develop one in more recent years (better late than never) after formerly being of the type of mindset that I'm describing for quite a long time prior.

But with all those necessary caveats said, this is still a mindset prevalent within a significant enough of a chunk of the posting populace on here (from the mid-2000s right on up through to today) that forms so much of the more absurdly skewed, slanted views and objectively warped perspectives on sometimes basic media literacy that dominates the general discourse that's generally found on here: one that's often filtered through a lens that heavily biases and favors exclusive focus on the minutia of 90s and 2000s children's action cartoons and TV shows while at the same time showing a near total and complete apathy, ignorance, and unwillingness to remotely engage with very much of anything else that's from outside that realm of media.

And the main reason I harp on that drum so much isn't to be "smug" or "elitist", or whatever handy, dismissive label is most simple and convenient to throw at me without actually engaging with any of the actual substance of what I'm trying to say: the reason is because this skewed media perspective genuinely gets in the way of and sabotages fruitful discussion and perspective relating to examining ANY form of artistic/creative media... even one for children like Dragon Ball is.

While Dragon Ball is a singular work made for children, its also one that happens to have an extraordinarily wide range and hodgepodge of disparate creative influences that are crucial to its creation: many of which themselves are indeed decidedly NOT necessarily made for or aimed at children (like The Terminator for an oft-recognized Western example). And obviously DB is hardly the ONLY work made for children who's creative DNA is hugely informed by non-children's/adult-skewed media.

Even if your subject of discussion or interest happens to be a work aimed at kids, a complete blinding ignorance of adult-aimed works of art & media, and a refusal/unwillingness to engage with much of any of it on almost any level will almost certainly cripple your ability to examine and thoughtfully discuss it.

Once again, obviously this issue doesn't pertain to EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY person who posts on this forum: if you look at what I'm writing and think to yourself "But I watch and love a ton of Scorsese and Coens movies! How could he accuse ME of this kind of myopia?!" etc, then guess what? You're NOT in fact one of the people here that I'm talking about!

But regardless, when pressed on the matter, yes a very sizable segment of this community throughout my 15 years-long time spent eyeball-deep within it (including some fairly prominent members of it) will openly cop to holding both a disdainful view of non-children's media as a whole while simultaneously in many cases also admitting oftentimes to having an incredibly limited and narrow personal experience with very much of any of it beyond a relative handful of cheesy network TV sitcoms and crappy Hollywood blockbuster movies. I know this not just from dicking around on the forums itself, but moreover from my OFF-FORUM experience with interacting with a great many of these folks and talking about decidedly non-Dragon Ball topics across a very large number of years now.

And that viewpoint of "kids media as the center of my world, whereas non-kids media is inherently negligible and not worth my time or attention" generally breeds a kind of all-purpose ignorance and lack of basic understanding about basic critical gauging and understanding of so much of creative media overall (film, television, music, and otherwise), even those on otherwise a fairly mainstream level outside of children's media, that completely guts and cripples any kind of remotely intelligent, fruitful discussion of it on even a barebones baseline level.
Well this doesn't apply to me since I have a "well-balanced media diet". Also, I would not say you're an elitist in the slightest. A show-off? Maybe. Not an elitist.
And what's up with writing completely dissertations on a Dragon Ball board? Why not use that and apply it to the real world instead? You are spending way too much time on here and way too much time feeling like to have to judge other people as to what they watch. Seriously, go out a little more. It'll go a long way.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 amAnd what's up with writing completely dissertations on a Dragon Ball board? Why not use that and apply it to the real world instead? You are spending way too much time on here and way too much time feeling like to have to judge other people as to what they watch. Seriously, go out a little more. It'll go a long way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My guy, I spend a VAST overwhelming majority of my time "out in the real world" as opposed to hanging out here. I work a decent chunk of the week (including weekends), often traveling out on the road back and forth all across my home state for my current job for whole day-long stretches: then when I'm not working, any chance I get I spend going bar-hopping and partying at nightclubs in my area.

Check out the dates of my posting history here from around 2015 and up to present: I'll post in some fits and spurts for a little while, then let sometimes as much as entire months fall off the calendar before I'm back here again later on for another relatively quick stint or so on an off/on basis. I mean shit, I've literally been here from practically when the forums first opened all the way back in 2004, and my total post count had yet to crack 3000. There are people who've been here less than a year that manage to break well past 10,000 posts within that short timespan!

And while my posts tend to be quite notoriously long and wordy, with the RAREST of exceptions (the Wuxia thread and maybe around just two or three other specifically notable posts, including a couple I've had sitting on the backburner for quite a long. long while now since, y'know, I have actual, more pressing real life shit to be concerned with) they take me a VERY quick amount of time to hammer out.

On average, I spend at the very most maybe 10 to 15 minutes (more often its well short of that) hammering out a typical post here before hitting "send" and moving on with the rest of my day from there. For the simple reason that I think fast and type fast, being the son of a fairly old school secretary/typist; typing at hyper fast speeds kinda runs in the family.

Hell, I've even in the past hammered out at least a couple of my posts on here from my phone while chilling in the back lounge at a club or two within the past couple years. :lol:

I did used to at one point in time years and years ago spend a significantly larger chunk of time not only hanging out on this forum, but also talking at great lengths off the forums (via IRC, PMs, AIM, Skype, and other such means) with numerous other community members here (as I mentioned in the earliest post I requoted on this page) due in no small part to a variety of then-real life circumstances that were well beyond my control at the time: but those days have been thankfully long, LONG over with for me for a good number of years now. I'm quite happy these days with keeping my time here as minimal as I can usually.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:56 pm

it's just kinda ridiculous to judge how busy someone is based off forum activity, it's like not a very good indicator.... it's also just kinda weird to assume that stuff anyway, or outright accuse someone of not having a life because they make a long post on a forum a handful of times a month.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 am
PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 amAnd what's up with writing completely dissertations on a Dragon Ball board? Why not use that and apply it to the real world instead? You are spending way too much time on here and way too much time feeling like to have to judge other people as to what they watch. Seriously, go out a little more. It'll go a long way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My guy, I spend a VAST overwhelming majority of my time "out in the real world" as opposed to hanging out here. I work a decent chunk of the week (including weekends), often traveling out on the road back and forth all across my home state for my current job for whole day-long stretches: then when I'm not working, any chance I get I spend going bar-hopping and partying at nightclubs in my area.

Check out the dates of my posting history here from around 2015 and up to present: I'll post in some fits and spurts for a little while, then let sometimes as much as entire months fall off the calendar before I'm back here again later on for another relatively quick stint or so on an off/on basis. I mean shit, I've literally been here from practically when the forums first opened all the way back in 2004, and my total post count had yet to crack 3000. There are people who've been here less than a year that manage to break well past 10,000 posts within that short timespan!

And while my posts tend to be quite notoriously long and wordy, with the RAREST of exceptions (the Wuxia thread and maybe around just two or three other specifically notable posts, including a couple I've had sitting on the backburner for quite a long. long while now since, y'know, I have actual, more pressing real life shit to be concerned with) they take me a VERY quick amount of time to hammer out.

On average, I spend at the very most maybe 10 to 15 minutes (more often its well short of that) hammering out a typical post here before hitting "send" and moving on with the rest of my day from there. For the simple reason that I think fast and type fast, being the son of a fairly old school secretary/typist; typing at hyper fast speeds kinda runs in the family.

Hell, I've even in the past hammered out at least a couple of my posts on here from my phone while chilling in the back lounge at a club or two within the past couple years. :lol:

I did used to at one point in time years and years ago spend a significantly larger chunk of time not only hanging out on this forum, but also talking at great lengths off the forums (via IRC, PMs, AIM, Skype, and other such means) with numerous other community members here (as I mentioned in the earliest post I requoted on this page) due in no small part to a variety of then-real life circumstances that were well beyond my control at the time: but those days have been thankfully long, LONG over with for me for a good number of years now. I'm quite happy these days with keeping my time here as minimal as I can usually.
Alright, well thank you for that strongly-worded response. It’s good for you to reaffirm to me that you don’t spend all of your time here. Seriously though, I think that anyone assuming anything about the other is wrong, so I apologize for assuming how much time you spend on here. You should, however, also apologize for assuming people don’t have “well-balanced” media diets just because of the way they post about something or whatever their beliefs on certain topics might be. I understand that it’s probably a show of frustration on your end, but it’s not right to skip to the assumptions.
One World. 🌐 🕊

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 pm As for the scene in question I never cared for the insertion of rock music in the movies, honestly I always thought that was a weird choice even as a kid. The falconer score is already comprised of psuedo-elctro rock music, which at the time I was fine with at the time and i still have a bit of a soft spot for some of the tracks. I preferred that over the actual band music just cause having songs that play just seemed so odd, when it something that has nothing to do with the material its presented with.
i swear i've read that the reason why they used like nu-metal in those soundtracks is because that's what was super popular with AMV's at the time ? i guess from that aspect it makes some sense, but still, it's so awkward, and i really can't stand that type of music lol.
I hate the inserted music. It feels so dropped in it's painful to me. There's only maybe one or two instances where I actually like the Dub music better. In the Trunks special when Trunks goes SSJ and when the group goes SSJ in front of Broly. The only reason I like them at all is because it's instrumental pieces.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

omegacwa wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:17 pm
I hate the inserted music. It feels so dropped in it's painful to me. There's only maybe one or two instances where I actually like the Dub music better. In the Trunks special when Trunks goes SSJ and when the group goes SSJ in front of Broly. The only reason I like them at all is because it's instrumental pieces.
It’s been a while since I’ve seen the dub with the replacement score, but didn’t they play the Mark Menza SSJ theme during that scene?

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm
omegacwa wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:17 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the dub with the replacement score, but didn’t they play the Mark Menza SSJ theme during that scene?
I actually have no idea. I've never seen the movie fully in English. For whatever reason I can only find English dubbed clips on youtube when I'm trying to find scenes I enjoyed. It's frustrating.