"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noitsnothim
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:35 pm

this chapter was far better than the last I just wish the Z-warriors with Jaco would have teamed up during the final stretches of the battle but maybe that'll happen later I think Toyotaro has been reigniting the fans' love for Gohan by making him the 3rd strongest warrior on earth (Notice how I said earth and not universe) and doing his character justice I also noticed that he no longer goes Mystic/Ultimate Universe pecking order is Whis>Beerus>Broly>Merus>Goku>Vegeta>Freeza (IMO)

I do have a concern and a bit of a problem with this arc now: am I the only one who's been noticing that they stopped expanding Moro and his character and began to focus solely on Merus? why would they do that wouldn't it be super interesting if we were to discover something about Moro (His past and secret abilities if he knows about the gods of destruction etc) at the same time as we discover something about merus?

I think what we can all agree on here is that Merus may be some sort of Angel but my gut tells me otherwise for some odd reason I believe the reason whis is concerned about Merus is because he knows Ultra Instinct and is actually using it instead of his real power when fighting Goku and Whis is concerned about other mortals potentially becoming aware of such an ability that was exclusive only to GODs and Angels

my 3 theories on Merus:

1. Merus is a fallen/reincarnated Angel who decided to become a galactic patrol agent and serve justice because he hated staying neutral while innocent suffered & Moro is his god of destruction (he can't kill a god of destruction because he is supposed to only serve as a guide to one)

2. Merus hails from a destroyed Universe and stayed in Universe 7 and disguised himself as a mortal

3. Merus is just a super OP galatic patrolman who knows UI and is a master at it

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:10 pm

seems like having broly be at least on par with beerus wasnt a peak for power progression in super. now we have a god damn angel who is breaking the rules to help goku master UI.

the chapter, it was good. gohan wasnt treated badly since he was overcoming 73 before he used the absorption ability. they have 2 months before moro arrives, thats a huge gap story wise. a lot could happen between those days. I'm interested in seeing how this progresses.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:22 pm

There's no way Merus isn't an angel after Whis's statement.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm

This was a descent chapter, but not as good as the last one. The fight between Gohan and 73 was over too soon IMO and kinda lame. The story uses the same Moro-absorb-technique to defeat the heroes as in Goku and Vegeta vs Moro first round, but then everything is posponed again? Haven't we seen this yet? It's basically always used to prolong the story.
I do like Merus, it's an intruiging character, Moro is more or less a classic villain.
I still hope the story is going to take a very unexpected turn. The one that didn't came during TOP.
Not the usual endfight against Moro and that's it. Whis words may indicate a plottwist is about to come or at least a bigger picture.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Block88 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 pm I'm really waku waku with this arc, I enjoyed Gohan being too much for 7-3, I was expecting him to pull a Gohan any time soon and losing his advantage but he did not, the way the tables turned on him were understandable, surprising and didn't portrayed Gohan as a chump, there was nothing he could've done to prevent that (unlike Piccolo in the previous chapter, cough, cough).

I was hoping for Android 17 to show up and knock 7-3 from the back and also hinting some rapport between the ToP members, but Moro giving them a chance, not out of pride or over-confidence but out of self-benefit like having an even bigger banquet, was great too. I thought Krilin yelling that Goku is training to kick their asses was going to get them killed faster, but he ended up saving everybody and gaining more time.

The panels are getting more and more interesting, with lesser boring chunks of dialogue and repetitive expressions and more action and nice fighting dynamics.

Merus is an angel, ok, I'm guessing there is another twist coming, maybe he is a retired/fired Angel or training to be one, perhaps a Fallen Angel, but if Whis is going to see his father then there has to be something bigger. Also, I guess Whis can peak into Merus' pyramid, so long for that fan-theory about Merus hiding from Beerus and Whis.
i don’t understand this nonsense I’m hearing gohan haven’t pull this shit since Buu which the TOP was meant to fix yet somehow folks acting like it happens 24/7
Gohan has two big fights in Z and in both he screwed up due to his immaturity. He did so against Buu and against Cell (yes, he cleared up his mess but at the cost of the lives of Goku, Trunks, Bubbles, Gregory, Kaiosama and his crappy little planet). I would even add letting himself get absorbed by Buu to the list, after witnessing Buu absorb Gotenks and Piccolo, but that might be too much, nevertheless he did fall for the same trick in only 5/10/30 minutes, whatever Buutenks lasted.

Luckily, Super is clearing his name, he did a perfect job at the ToP (in both manga and anime) and was superb now.

Rouge the Bat
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rouge the Bat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:30 pm

I've always thought Merus was an angel from one of the erased universes (from 13 to 18)!!...

The chapter was great, 7-3 is wonderful... but I hope we won't have the usual ending,I mean training then final fight : this part of the manga has so many thing to reveal!!...

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:43 pm

That anime stuff Jaco was referring to next month, are we really getting that?? Lol, i gues it's wishful thinking of the time being. Naughty Jaco!

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Block88 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 pm I'm really waku waku with this arc, I enjoyed Gohan being too much for 7-3, I was expecting him to pull a Gohan any time soon and losing his advantage but he did not, the way the tables turned on him were understandable, surprising and didn't portrayed Gohan as a chump, there was nothing he could've done to prevent that (unlike Piccolo in the previous chapter, cough, cough).

I was hoping for Android 17 to show up and knock 7-3 from the back and also hinting some rapport between the ToP members, but Moro giving them a chance, not out of pride or over-confidence but out of self-benefit like having an even bigger banquet, was great too. I thought Krilin yelling that Goku is training to kick their asses was going to get them killed faster, but he ended up saving everybody and gaining more time.

The panels are getting more and more interesting, with lesser boring chunks of dialogue and repetitive expressions and more action and nice fighting dynamics.

Merus is an angel, ok, I'm guessing there is another twist coming, maybe he is a retired/fired Angel or training to be one, perhaps a Fallen Angel, but if Whis is going to see his father then there has to be something bigger. Also, I guess Whis can peak into Merus' pyramid, so long for that fan-theory about Merus hiding from Beerus and Whis.
i don’t understand this nonsense I’m hearing gohan haven’t pull this shit since Buu which the TOP was meant to fix yet somehow folks acting like it happens 24/7
Gohan has two big fights in Z and in both he screwed up due to his immaturity. He did so against Buu and against Cell (yes, he cleared up his mess but at the cost of the lives of Goku, Trunks, Bubbles, Gregory, Kaiosama and his crappy little planet). I would even add letting himself get absorbed by Buu to the list, after witnessing Buu absorb Gotenks and Piccolo, but that might be too much, nevertheless he did fall for the same trick in only 5/10/30 minutes, whatever Buutenks lasted.

Luckily, Super is clearing his name, he did a perfect job at the ToP (in both manga and anime) and was superb now.
Okay? That doesn’t mean much that was only two times that happened where Buu was a straight up fuck up while cell he fixed at the end
Y’all made it seem like he did multiple times

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:06 pm

That volume 11 cover is truly fantastic. It just might be my favorite thing that Toyotaro has drawn. It's so full of style, personality, and life. The way the fries and Coke arc upward as Mr. Satan looks on in horror...incredible. It retains elements of what makes Toriyama's drawings great, but it feels unique and true to Toyotaro. I swear he's taking art classes and incorporating things he's learned into these covers and bonus drawings.

As for the chapter, I enjoyed it. I don't have a ton to say.

I like how fast Gohan seemed in this chapter. I thought he came off really cool, and his loss is understandable. That was a trump card that I wasn't expecting, makes total sense, and gives a purpose to the other two gems on Seven-three's head (I love that shit).

I'm really glad they addressed the Kamehameha toward the earth. It's something they always made a big deal of in the original manga, and it's something that non-Toriyama works have often gotten wrong. I was disappointed when I saw the leaked chapter, but that's why it's important to wait for the full translation before complaining!

Was Moro raiding a planet based on the race of that caterpillar guy from the DBZ anime filler afterlife tournament?

Two months is a lot of time. Although a lot of it will be skipped, and Moro will likely arrive sooner than expected, I'm interested in seeing how the different players prepare. I'll hold off on making any predictions at this point...

Glad to finally have a hard confirmation of Merus' angel affiliation. I'm mostly intrigued by the fact that Whis seems displeased about the matter...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Block88 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:15 pm Okay? That doesn’t mean much that was only two times that happened where Buu was a straight up fuck up while cell he fixed at the end
Y’all made it seem like he did multiple times
Goten growing up without a father might disagree with you about Gohan fixing his own screw ups.

He doesn't have to do it 29 times to show he tends to gets cocky and make mistakes that end really bad. He got two big games in the original run and in both he dropped the ball, if it weren't for Goku's sacrifice he could've never fixed it in the first place. He put Cell to sleep but still got Goku, Trunks and Kaio Sama killed.

There was a pattern in Z with Gohan, you can't deny that, but that pattern is gone in Super and that is what I'm celebrating, that he didn't got sucker-punched like Piccolo in the previous chapter.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:48 am

I'm reading this thread out of boredom, since I don't follow the story, but wasn't Buu supposed to be a major player this arc or something? What happened to him?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am

Draconic wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:48 am I'm reading this thread out of boredom, since I don't follow the story, but wasn't Buu supposed to be a major player this arc or something? What happened to him?
They remembered Buu isn't a Saiyan

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am

Draconic wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:48 am I'm reading this thread out of boredom, since I don't follow the story, but wasn't Buu supposed to be a major player this arc or something? What happened to him?
He let the Dai Kaioshin inside of him to use his body to fight Moro(that is shapeshift into him), but after they fight for a while and retreat, he went back to his Buu form and went to sleep out of exhaustion.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 am

chapter was meh i'm tired of seeing gohan getting his ass kicked by random space pirates. Even if it was an android gohan should be powerful enough to beat him. He's galaxy ++ for crying out loud

we all knew meerus was angel who gave up some godhood to join the galatic patrol

how come whiz doesn't call the grand priest father and why hasn't he told beerus about moro yet.

moro said planet earth used to be monkeys but beerus says it used to be dinosaurs. I think we can see the continuity errors between TOTO and AT on this story.

the only thing i'm hoping for in this 2 month training is

- goku masters UI fully
- vegeta masters this useless spirit training which will do nothing against moro
- trunks and goten going into the ROSAT and using gotenks knowledge and becoming ssj3 as adults
- gohan training with whiz and ascending to mystik ssj red
- piccolo going to namek reading their book of legends and becoming way strong.

by the way where was 17 at? i'm pretty sure he should be stronger than gohan. Speaking of which why is he fighting in base? why didn't he use mystik gohan. You can tell because of the drawing he doesn't have that bang in the front and his face is drawn normally

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 am

jplaya2023 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 am chapter was meh i'm tired of seeing gohan getting his ass kicked by random space pirates. Even if it was an android gohan should be powerful enough to beat him. He's galaxy ++ for crying out loud

we all knew meerus was angel who gave up some godhood to join the galatic patrol

how come whiz doesn't call the grand priest father and why hasn't he told beerus about moro yet.

moro said planet earth used to be monkeys but beerus says it used to be dinosaurs. I think we can see the continuity errors between TOTO and AT on this story.

- goku masters UI fully
- vegeta masters this useless spirit training which will do nothing against moro
- trunks and goten going into the ROSAT and using gotenks knowledge and becoming ssj3 as adults

by the way where was 17 at? i'm pretty sure he should be stronger than gohan. Speaking of which why is he fighting in base? why didn't he use mystik gohan. You can tell because of the drawing he doesn't have that bang in the front and his face is drawn normally
Perhaps he dropped out of the form again. Couldn't maintain peak performance after the ToP leading to the state to be removed. Unleashed Potential is truly a bizzare form. But I think that it's more of a continuity issue, rather than an in-universe one. Truly, I don't even remember if Gohan used Ultimate in the manga ToP, which wouldn't be possible seeing how he nearly reached low Perfected Blue levels.

Anyway, I really want the Earth warriors to gather and train. Piccolo getting the heritage of his people after their extinction in the form of the book of legends would be amazing (from that little Namek survivor). Sitting in the lookout and practicing new techniques and perhaps a powerup along with Dende would be epic.

Gohan can only due standard training. Maybe return to the Kaioshin realm? I am kinda bothered how Daikaioshin returned and left without interacting with the alive Kais. Gohan could even get trained by him, if he separated from Buu.

Kinda want Buu to wake up for the final battle and if he doesn't expell the Grand Supreme Kai, at least have him get Fit like in the anime or something,since Moro's magic doesn't work on him. Vegeta and Goku can do their thing in the meantime.

Gotenks finally getting relevant again? I am afraid to say that this is the case only in Heroes. Even during GT when he could be useful, Goku became the all-knowing and tossed away the possibility of seeing a GT SS3 Adult Gotenks....

But it is more plausible to get all these, rather than Broly. Of course it goes without saying that we could get some Resurrection F fodder fights with the Dragon Team. Moro's top henchmen going after 17,Piccolo, Gohan and Buu, while Moro has a showdown with Vegeta and Goku. A battle Royale style of thing, with all the fights happening simultaneously, but executed better and with higher stakes than the ToP.
Last edited by Grand Marshal 1 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
P O W E R

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 am
jplaya2023 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 am chapter was meh i'm tired of seeing gohan getting his ass kicked by random space pirates. Even if it was an android gohan should be powerful enough to beat him. He's galaxy ++ for crying out loud

- goku masters UI fully

Perhaps he dropped out of the form again. Couldn't maintain peak performance after the ToP leading to the state to be removed. Unleashed Potential is truly a bizzare form. But I think that it's more of a continuity issue, rather than an in-universe one. Truly, I don't even remember if Gohan used Ultimate in the manga ToP
No, he didn't drop out of form. Piccolo says he's the strongest guy on Earth right now and 17 was confirmed to be around Goku's level right after the ToP. Gohan does use Ultimate in the manga, it's designated by his sharper eyes.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 am

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am
He let the Dai Kaioshin inside of him to use his body to fight Moro(that is shapeshift into him), but after they fight for a while and retreat, he went back to his Buu form and went to sleep out of exhaustion.
Pardon my French and excuse my poor posting standard but... are you fucking kidding me???!??
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 am

Kagari wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 am 17 was confirmed to be around Goku's level right after the ToP.
Wait, did I miss something?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 am

Michsi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 am
Kagari wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 am 17 was confirmed to be around Goku's level right after the ToP.
Wait, did I miss something?
Just fans trying to extrapolate beyond something vague or ambiguous that Goku said at the end of the ToP and acting surprised when it turns out that was never the case to begin with.
Draconic wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 am
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am
Pardon my French and excuse my poor posting standard but... are you fucking kidding me???!??
There's nothing wrong with asking questions about a story that one hasn't kept up with, or to clarify on current events, but if all you're going to do is just troll and post as if a 'state of DB' is ongoing, then the entire community would be better off if you refrained from posting. If you have nothing substantial to say or to follow up with, then it only makes you look like an ignorant fan who's just looking for something to be angry about.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 am

I'm a little miffed at how Merus is implied to have ties to Angels as well. Is it impossible for new characters to have unique histories which have no relations to the gods above?

Gohan getting to fight only to have been trashed by the same abilities as Goku and Vegeta also irked me. Could the Z fighters please handle a threat on their own without having to pull a Bulma and have Goku & Vegeta save their asses? But at least this shows us the further extent of Moro's absorption capabilities. If a fighter like 73 could punk someone at Gohan's level, that huge of a difference, with Moro's ability, then I have hopes that simply big ass power levels won't be sufficient save the day (*cough* Beerus *cough*) and it'll take more than just that.

Already mentioned this, but Moro's comparison of humans and apes was a really neat detail I enjoyed since it connected so well with Saiyans - and this is only a theory, but perhaps the reason why humans and Saiyans are so compatible is because of their shared ancestrial traits.

Jaco's reasoning that bought them more time also had me chuckling. That's the kind of out-of-context and tongue-in-cheek humor I want more from DB, not dumb shit like Goku never kissing Chi-Chi before.

Overall I really wanted to say I enjoyed this chapter, but I guess the first two points above ended up leaving me more grumpy than impressed.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!