"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:11 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pmMost of the comments are torn between something called "Jujutsu kaisen" and 2uper.
I see, I think it's that other show. I don't know if Toei would have to be secretive about a Dragonball panel since it could be about anything DB-related like a video game and not necessarily about a movie or anime. Didn't they have one every year for the last few years?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:11 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pmMost of the comments are torn between something called "Jujutsu kaisen" and 2uper.
Didn't they have one every year for the last few years?
I'm not sure. last year was the first time I've ever invested time in Jump Fest.

It's weird though...I know that new movie is pretty early in development or whatever but I expected them to talk a little about it during Jump Festa.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:21 am

According to Saiyko Devin (French Youtuber) there is no DB-panel revealed for the moment, only a stand concerning the new game.
All panels for Jump Festa 2020 but one are filled. On the second day (22.12, 10.40 - 11.20) there is one panel that is kept secret.
Skip to 1.38 in this vid en you'll notice: https://youtu.be/7QvvDtmOrAA
Nothing indicating there is something of an announcement concerning Supers return, but it still could be, while being kept secret for surprise element. I only wouldn't count on it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am

If Super ever returns, I wish it was in a seasonal anime format, then we could have less gaps between one episode and another regarding animation quality.

But of course, this idea will never come to the mind from Toei lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 am

Kitaro has started its final arc so it might end in April or July next year. Maybe that secret panel is a new anime Toei is working on to take Kitaro's timeslot when it ends?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 am Kitaro has started its final arc so it might end in April or July next year. Maybe that secret panel is a new anime Toei is working on to take Kitaro's timeslot when it ends?
Haha. God forbid that!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 am Kitaro has started its final arc so it might end in April or July next year. Maybe that secret panel is a new anime Toei is working on to take Kitaro's timeslot when it ends?
That would be funny

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:41 pm

Is there a reason why they're not showing anything DBS related? If I remember correctly, Super was present last year.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:01 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:41 pm Is there a reason why they're not showing anything DBS related? If I remember correctly, Super was present last year.

Last year the franchise wanted to give some spotlight to Broly, which just came out, and announce the new arc in the manga.
This year, there is no new manga arc to announce, as the current arc is far from done and could very well run untill summer 2020.
The new movie is probably still in its early preproduction fase. Too early to give away teasers.
That basically means everything comes down to the anime, if there is something new to announce.

The franchise will receive a lot of attention on the event related to their new game. So they'll get loads of publicity anyways.
But, if there is no new anime series to announce, there is nothing that needs to be discussed concerning Super.
In that case no additional panel is required from TOEI.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm

According to the Fench Youtuber Saiyko Devin (Saiyko is pretty reliable) the "secret panel" on Jump Festa probably is not not going to be DBS, but a new anime called "Jujutsu Kaisen":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcOdXRF4ps (warning: French!) :mrgreen:

It's not confirmed yet Jujutsu Kaisen will replace GeGeGe no Kitarō.
This only means there will be no DBS-panel. Dragon Ball will be present at Jump Festa, so announcements are always possible but not a certainty. Broly was also announced at a TOEI non-DBS related stand i believe a couple years ago.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:34 pm

I'll be real, I've been relatively optimistic that Super will return to TV at some point up until this point, but if nothing is announced at Jump Festa and this new anime takes Kitaro's timeslot, I think I'll have to change my tune and say I don't think the show's coming back, sadly.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

infermon

Post by infermon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm It's not confirmed yet Jujutsu Kaisen will replace GeGeGe no Kitarō.
We still don't know the animation studio, which leads me to wonder - is that 9am timeslot Toei's domain or Shueisha's? Or is it just for whoever the hell Fuji TV wants to give it to?

No clue how Japanese broadcast television works, if you can't tell. All I know is that Toei have held the timeslot since at least the 2007 Kitaro series, if not earlier, so if Jujutsu Kaisen isn't one of theirs, it may not be 2018 Kitaro's replacement.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 pm

When should we start hearing news about the movie? It may not be a series but it's still something.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:59 am

Edit: never mind, I mistook this for the other thread :?
Looking at this Jujutsu kaisen thing, it seems fairly new. The franchise is not even two years old, so even if that's the anime that's going to replaces Kitaro it can't last long. Of course, that doesn't mean that DBS would follow then.

Seems like people are more accepting of the idea that movie is probably the format we're going to get.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am

Michsi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:59 am Edit: never mind, I mistook this for the other thread :?
Looking at this Jujutsu kaisen thing, it seems fairly new. The franchise is not even two years old, so even if that's the anime that's going to replaces Kitaro it can't last long. Of course, that doesn't mean that DBS would follow then.

Seems like people are more accepting of the idea that movie is probably the format we're going to get.
No way that can be sustainable over time.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am
Michsi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:59 am Edit: never mind, I mistook this for the other thread :?

No way that can be sustainable over time.
I don't know about that. DBS franchise did phenomenally earning-wise in the year the show went off the air due to the movie hype and it's still going strong now without anything announced for the future. There are many reasons for why Toei would prefer this format over a long running series. A series is, at the end of the day, a lot more expensive and time consuming. Didn't the director state that DBS Broly was the first project in a long time where he got to leave the office while there was still light outside?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 pm When should we start hearing news about the movie? It may not be a series but it's still something.

There were two years between BOG and ROF.
Let's say they do two years over the next movie. If they don't do an anime, that should be manageable.
Then it will release end 2020, beginning 2021. In 2018 we got the first small teaser in March i believe.
So we could be getting a very early first teaser somewhere during spring.
The first real trailers, probably around July, August. Somewhere around the Tokyo Olympics, where Goku will be a mascot btw.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 am

Damn, I hope everyone now believes Dragon Ball Super 2 is dead
Unfortunately, I don't want a (90-100 minutes) movie, but a normal TV series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:36 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 pm When should we start hearing news about the movie? It may not be a series but it's still something.

Let's say they do two years over the next movie. If they don't do an anime, that should be manageable.
Then it will release end 2020, beginning 2021. In 2018 we got the first small teaser in March i believe.
The first real trailers, probably around July, August. Somewhere around the Tokyo Olympics, where Goku will be a mascot btw.
I actually wish Dragon Ball were less of a success now because it would have made Toei release a TV anime faster... Now they're getting cash without effort (unless you count Dragon Ball Heroes) which really sucks.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:36 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am

I actually wish Dragon Ball were less of a success now because it would have made Toei release a TV anime faster... Now they're getting cash without effort (unless you count Dragon Ball Heroes) which really sucks.

I don't know what exactly TOEIs strategy is. Fact is, if you are a fan of other fantasy / sci fi- series, you have to pay for a HBO-, Netflix-, Prime-, Disney-you name it-subscription. But at least you are getting it. TOEI would pump a lot of money in a DB-anime, but a lot of content is streamed illegally world-wide, they are missing out a lot of potential money. If they'd just focuss on a new movie, chances are, even more people are going to buy a ticket to see it because a new animated "canon" DB-product is unique and hasn't been seen in recent years. That ticket sales-money is pretty much directly in the pocket. One real 'hypeboost' every two years with a new movie may actually suffice as an electroshock to hold the franchise alive and profitable. This while Heroes, games, toys, the manga etc ... just keep the merchandise-trade rolling in the meanwhile in order to keep sales up between the movies.