DBS Broly mastering Super Saiyan

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

DBS Broly mastering Super Saiyan

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am

I wonder how long it would take DBS Broly to fully master the Super Saiyan transformation, that is increase its multiplier to that of Super Saiyan 3?

I recall Toriyama once saying that Goku will one day realize he is better off training his Super Saiyan form.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: DBS Broly mastering Super Saiyan

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:49 am

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am I recall Toriyama once saying that Goku will one day realize he is better off training his Super Saiyan form.
Toriyama used this plot point twice. 1) When Goku mastered Super Saiyan in the fight against Cell. 2) When Goku achieved Super Saiyan Blue. But both were abandoned regardless, when he introduced SS2 and Ultra Instinct respectively.

Pertaining the topic, if Kale managed to temper her berserk form, Broly might be able to do the same in the future. He needs a strong connection to someone else.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:49 am
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am I recall Toriyama once saying that Goku will one day realize he is better off training his Super Saiyan form.
Toriyama used this plot point twice. 1) When Goku mastered Super Saiyan in the fight against Cell. 2) When Goku achieved Super Saiyan Blue. But both were abandoned regardless, when he introduced SS2 and Ultra Instinct respectively.

Pertaining the topic, if Kale managed to temper her berserk form, Broly might be able to do the same in the future. He needs a strong connection to someone else.
I suspect Kale's calmer form will remain exclusive to her. Would be very interesting if she and Broly met, although that would take some unusual circumstances. If I had to guess about Broly's future transformations, I would say two things were likely. (Keeping in mind that my predictions never come true.)

1. Broly achieves Super Saiyan 3. His "Full Power" green form turns out to be something that could be applied to any Super Saiyan transformation. Maybe the characters in the anime will start referring it by a new name, like "Super Saiyan Green" or something. And we get something like this in Super canon:

2. Broly's connection to his Oozaru form is expanded on, allowing Broly to become Super Saiyan 4. Super Broly already exists as fan service, so why not go all the way and canonize SS4 in Super? Personally, SS4 is the only thing I like about GT, so I think this would be really cool.

What I don't think is going to happen is they give Broly Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue. While I could be totally wrong, I think TOEI would avoid giving Broly these forms because doing so would kind of take away from the uniqueness of Broly as a character. By giving Broly transformations that neither Goku or Vegeta have access to, they both keep Broly distinct and provide fan service that nearly no one will argue against.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:13 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:49 am

I suspect Kale's calmer form will remain exclusive to her. Would be very interesting if she and Broly met, although that would take some unusual circumstances. If I had to guess about Broly's future transformations, I would say two things were likely. (Keeping in mind that my predictions never come true.)

1. Broly achieves Super Saiyan 3. His "Full Power" green form turns out to be something that could be applied to any Super Saiyan transformation. Maybe the characters in the anime will start referring it by a new name, like "Super Saiyan Green" or something. And we get something like this in Super canon:

2. Broly's connection to his Oozaru form is expanded on, allowing Broly to become Super Saiyan 4. Super Broly already exists as fan service, so why not go all the way and canonize SS4 in Super? Personally, SS4 is the only thing I like about GT, so I think this would be really cool.

What I don't think is going to happen is they give Broly Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue. While I could be totally wrong, I think TOEI would avoid giving Broly these forms because doing so would kind of take away from the uniqueness of Broly as a character. By giving Broly transformations that neither Goku or Vegeta have access to, they both keep Broly distinct and provide fan service that nearly no one will argue against.
I can't think of a good reason why Broly shouldn't be able to control his transformations. But I do agree that SSJ4 was the best thing about Dragon Ball GT. I also don't know if Broly will get Kale's slimmer form.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:13 pm I can't think of a good reason why Broly shouldn't be able to control his transformations. But I do agree that SSJ4 was the best thing about Dragon Ball GT. I also don't know if Broly will get Kale's slimmer form.
Honestly, I find the slimmer form of Kale's kind of lame. I don't think it would look any cooler on Broly. The whole appeal of Broly is that he's this hulking rage machine when he fights. It wouldn't impress audiences, so I suspect it'll never happen.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:20 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:13 pm I can't think of a good reason why Broly shouldn't be able to control his transformations. But I do agree that SSJ4 was the best thing about Dragon Ball GT. I also don't know if Broly will get Kale's slimmer form.
Honestly, I find the slimmer form of Kale's kind of lame. I don't think it would look any cooler on Broly. The whole appeal of Broly is that he's this hulking rage machine when he fights. It wouldn't impress audiences, so I suspect it'll never happen.
True but I don't see why Broly shouldn't be able to control his power.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:05 pm

It’s implied by Goku and Freeza that Broly will manage to control his power in the future. For some reason, Freeza believes that will come to his favor.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:05 pm It’s implied by Goku and Freeza that Broly will manage to control his power in the future. For some reason, Freeza believes that will come to his favor.
Well he is not certain that it will work out in his favor actually.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:45 am

Wouldn't the transformation loose some of its charm if he'd manage to 'master' it, like Kale did, and he would become calm as a result?
The "Berserker"-state makes it unique.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:45 am Wouldn't the transformation loose some of its charm if he'd manage to 'master' it, like Kale did, and he would become calm as a result?
The "Berserker"-state makes it unique.
I don't think so. Vegeta could control his Oozaru form and that didn't cause the Oozaru to loose its charm. I'm not saying he should slim down like Kale did. I just think he should be able to control it. Plus if he doesn't learn to control it it will become a liability like the Oozaru was treated as.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 am

I think Broly will always be wild and raging when he lets himself go in a fight. That sort of defines his fighting style to be a brutal mess of anger that can't control himself and attacks like a big raging bull.
It will probably be part of an emotional struggle for him in future fights: keeping his reason but with limited power, or letting himself go to be more useful with his extraordinary powers, but losing his reason as the cost since he will attack anything and anyone in that powerful state. Some events like his friends being hurt could automatically send him in a frenzy too.
So he'll be sort of a "risks VS reward" kind of asset in the team.

He will be like The Hulk, an uncontrollable but extremely powerful force, but one that requires that you stay on your guard and send trusted allies (probably Cheelai) to calm him down when he steps out of line, just like Black Widow was needed to calm The Hulk down.

So bottom line, I think Broly will keep being characterized by his struggle with his uncontrollable rage and that it will be something that plays a part everytime he is involved in a conflict.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:11 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 am I think Broly will always be wild and raging when he lets himself go in a fight. That sort of defines his fighting style to be a brutal mess of anger that can't control himself and attacks like a big raging bull.
It will probably be part of an emotional struggle for him in future fights: keeping his reason but with limited power, or letting himself go to be more useful with his extraordinary powers, but losing his reason as the cost since he will attack anything and anyone in that powerful state. Some events like his friends being hurt could automatically send him in a frenzy too.
So he'll be sort of a "risks VS reward" kind of asset in the team.

He will be like The Hulk, an uncontrollable but extremely powerful force, but one that requires that you stay on your guard and send trusted allies (probably Cheelai) to calm him down when he steps out of line, just like Black Widow was needed to calm The Hulk down.

So bottom line, I think Broly will keep being characterized by his struggle with his uncontrollable rage and that it will be something that plays a part everytime he is involved in a conflict.
May Toriyama hears you, cuz' that's perfect

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 am

You could kind of do that if you had the other Super Saiyan forms be like Broly's base form, a smaller form and then a Full Power form.

I agree that does have appeal. I'm a Hulk fan by the way. But I still would prefer a bit more control. But I do like the idea of Broly being dangerous when he loses control.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm

I think Broly may have at least one more transformation. In the movie we saw this forms:

Base, Ikari, SS + Ikari and SS Full Power. But we never saw him in his Super Saiyan form, without Ikari. I think he can do this in the future, and this form would be easier to him to master.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:42 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm I think Broly may have at least one more transformation. In the movie we saw this forms:

Base, Ikari, SS + Ikari and SS Full Power. But we never saw him in his Super Saiyan form, without Ikari. I think he can do this in the future, and this form would be easier to him to master.
True he was already berserk when he transformed. I hope he at least achieves SS2 and SS3.