Observation about insert songs on FUNi release of DBZ movies 1 and 2

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Observation about insert songs on FUNi release of DBZ movies 1 and 2

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:15 pm

This is something i noticed on FUNi's re dub releases of Z movies 1 and 2 on the dub with Japanese score, because while pretty much most of the music is intact as it should be there are two big exceptions which are the insert songs "Tenkaichi Gohan/The World's Greatest Gohan" and "Piccolo Dai-suki/I Love Piccolo" as for whatever reason on the steel book DVD and Blu-ray "Double Features" in 2008 plus the later movie packs they didn't include the lyrical versions of the songs themselves, but rather some bizarre instrumental versions instead. What's even more odd about it is that the old dubbed releases on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD by Pioneer from a decade earlier had the proper ones as sung by Masako Nozawa with lyrics and all, so i just don't get why they weren't included on the former releases and there's never been any explanation as to their absence. It's not like the situation with the original Dragon Ball series where quite a few of the insert songs were missing from the scenes they accompany in the dub, which was a result of several different factors either due to the audio materials FUNi was given at the time in the early 2000's or some sort of rights thing with Toei although that's not entirely clear.

Now that said, it's not nearly as weird as watching the dub with U.S. music track which has almost no music playing during those scenes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Observation about insert songs on FUNi release of DBZ movies 1 and 2

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Now that said, it's not nearly as weird as watching the dub with U.S. music track which has almost no music playing during those scenes.
That along with Nadolny's what can only be described as weird utterances.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 pm
I know right, that strange "Ha ha heh heh heh" laugh noise she makes there just grates on me and any time i watch movie 1 i just switch over to the Japanese track as Gohan is having his inebriated hallucinations while running from Nikki at Garlic Jr's castle.

Seriously, the dubbed version of the scene on the Pioneer release with the proper insert song is better in every way. Saffron Henderson definitely fit little Gohan better than Nadolny for sure although the latter was overall decent as kid Goku in the '01 Dragon Ball dub and GT.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm

I mean, to be fair, Gohan is drunk in that scene. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm
I'm thinking he meant more like Nadolny's delivery of said drunkeness.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:47 pm

To be even more fair I’d have to be plastered to put up with Nadolny Gohan’s....laughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:47 pm
To be even more fair I’d have to be plastered to put up with Nadolny Gohan’s....laughter
She was fairly decent as kid Goku and the raspy voice worked with him for the most part, but the same definitely can't be said about Gohan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 am

She was fairly decent as kid Goku and the raspy voice worked with him for the most part, but the same definitely can't be said about Gohan.
The raspy voice was less “wtf” for Goku than Gohan and she did actually seem to tone down the rasp and make the voice more nasally (which she ended up using for Gohan for the redub) but it wasn’t exactly a good and she did a lot of really horrendous line reads as Goku.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 am

The raspy voice was less “wtf” for Goku than Gohan and she did actually seem to tone down the rasp and make the voice more nasally (which she ended up using for Gohan for the redub) but it wasn’t exactly a good and she did a lot of really horrendous line reads as Goku.
Yes, it's true that Stephanie's performance wasn't outstanding and many scenes with her Goku in the DB dub and others definitely left quite a bit to be desired but still at least the voice did fit somewhat better there than as kid Gohan. By the same token, i'd say that Colleen Clinkenbeard is the opposite as she was great for kid Gohan with basically using her standard Luffy boy voice but not so much as young Goku in the flashback scenes of Kai and the 2010 re dub of DB movie 1.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 am

Yes, it's true that Stephanie's performance wasn't outstanding and many scenes with her as Goku in the DB dub and others definitely left quite a bit to be desired but still at least it did fit better there than as kid Gohan. By the same token, i'd say that Colleen Clinkenbeard is the opposite as she was great for kid Gohan with basically using her standard Luffy boy voice but not so much as young Goku in the flashback scenes of Kai and the 2010 re dub of DB movie 1.
I can agree, if nothing else Nadolny’s voice for Goku worked better than it did for her Gohan.

I actually didn’t think Clinkenbeard’s Goku was that bad. It was off putting at first but I got used to it after a second watch of the Dragon Ball movie dub.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 am

Yes, it's true that Stephanie's performance wasn't outstanding and many scenes with her as Goku in the DB dub and others definitely left quite a bit to be desired but still at least it did fit better there than as kid Gohan. By the same token, i'd say that Colleen Clinkenbeard is the opposite as she was great for kid Gohan with basically using her standard Luffy boy voice but not so much as young Goku in the flashback scenes of Kai and the 2010 re dub of DB movie 1.
I can agree, if nothing else Nadolny’s voice for Goku worked better than it did for her Gohan.

I actually didn’t think Clinkenbeard’s Goku was that bad. It was off putting at first but I got used to it after a second watch of the Dragon Ball movie dub.
Colleen's Goku isn't really bad per se, it's just that i think she worked better as Gohan.