"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Sani007 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:53 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:44 pm Am I the only one who's badly waiting for the current manga-only content to be animated?
No. It would be fantastic, but I think it will never be animated. :cry:

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Sani007 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:53 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:44 pm Am I the only one who's badly waiting for the current manga-only content to be animated?
Things will go differently in the anime as they have from the beginning.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:05 pm

I think I will be the only one who likes the previous chapter more than this one ....

about the good ...
Consistency was maintained with Gohan in his combat, I even liked the part where he made fun of "the hit copy" playing his neck and the references to giant piccolo were very good .. :clap:

bad things
No matter how they want to justify it ... it feels stupid to see Gohan being humiliated by space criminals ... and no ... I don't care about the magic of Moro does not change it to look painful and sad...with piccolo and the others are passable but not with god levels characters
and basically gohan along with others just fighting time until goku arrives .. this is unnecessarily long
the choreography was fine but nothing from the other world very similar to bergamo vs goku in the anime

bla bla merus is jesus bla bla already bored me the character :roll:

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Sani007 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:53 pm
I think it will be animated eventually, considering that the anime is the canon version of Dragon Ball Super. The question is rather when it happens.
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm

I was looking back on the previous chapters of this arc and had a question: any idea why Beerus is so nonchalant about Namek slowly being destroyed by Moro? You'd think after the stuff with the ToP, he'd take things more seriously. Is the existence of someone like Moro actually a positive for someone like Beerus? I guess I just don't really understand.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:44 am This is DB we're talking about (especially Super). Usually the most convenient path is the one that's taken. Making a character related to one of the most mysterious and powerful species of beings is the easiest way to get them over with the audience. Honestly, I'll take that over more random aliens just being stronger than established characters for no reason. Either that or introduce a new power mechanic into the series that makes random strong aliens make sense. That's what I thought god ki would do, but really, it does very little and doesn't matter when people like Jiren exist.
Except Merus' initial value lay in his deep understanding of body techniques and martial arts, as well as his wits and clever uses of the Galactic Patrol's weapons, not his gigantic power level. As the Galactic Patrol's ace member, that seemed like a totally reasonable character trait to have even without a proper introduction.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm I was looking back on the previous chapters of this arc and had a question: any idea why Beerus is so nonchalant about Namek slowly being destroyed by Moro? You'd think after the stuff with the ToP, he'd take things more seriously. Is the existence of someone like Moro actually a positive for someone like Beerus? I guess I just don't really understand.
I hate to say it, but I'd say that's Beerus' lazy nihilistic characterisation at work. Part of his schtick is that he doesn't care about dangerous threats, and that isn't going to change even after his attitude put Universe 7 on the chopping block. Toriyama likes his incompetent authority figures.

Plus, if he did care, he'd just eliminate threats like Moro, Freeza and Broly in an instant, and there'd be no story.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:21 am

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 pm
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm I was looking back on the previous chapters of this arc and had a question: any idea why Beerus is so nonchalant about Namek slowly being destroyed by Moro? You'd think after the stuff with the ToP, he'd take things more seriously. Is the existence of someone like Moro actually a positive for someone like Beerus? I guess I just don't really understand.
I hate to say it, but I'd say that's Beerus' lazy nihilistic characterisation at work. Part of his schtick is that he doesn't care about dangerous threats, and that isn't going to change even after his attitude put Universe 7 on the chopping block. Toriyama likes his incompetent authority figures.

Plus, if he did care, he'd just eliminate threats like Moro, Freeza and Broly in an instant, and there'd be no story.
Story facts.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:53 am

In the anime there was character development and beerus feel a new respect for the mortals who participated in the tournament that includes roshi who was recognized as a great warrior by him.

in the manga there is no such character development and beerus still considers mortal life as less

do you think this terrible?
it is .. for me, which is the reason because I think that moro arc shouldn't be adapted to anime ... all that development would disappear

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:34 am

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Beerus' role in the story of DB is one that is frankly a waste of space and in fact, can even inhibit it. Because no new threat on U7 feels like an actual threat if Beerus will always presumably be stronger than them.

Him getting chummy with the main cast is also one of the worst directions that modern DB as a whole has taken. He feels like this side character like a fan fantasy fill-in just to remind the audience that there is someone stronger than Goku and Vegeta who can always bail them out if they ever get screwed over.

At least Whis trains Goku and Vegeta, and is supposed to be neutral. Beerus isn't and there will always be some way to shoehorn him out of the main battle or minimize his role, whether it be through some contrived way to exclude GoDs or simply his nonchalant attitude towards everything.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 am

Beerus himself was originally supposed to be neutral -- an impartial destroyer seeking to maintain the balance of creation and destruction in the universe. His time spent with Goku and the group combined with their mutual experiences has evidently oriented him, most likely, towards favouring them over any adversaries; push comes to shove, he'll still probably try to maintain the facade of neutrality while having the group handle their affairs themselves. Well, maybe... Goku and Vegeta's status as students of Whis and prospective rivals of Beerus has probably granted them some protective oversight from not just Beerus but Whis as well. The others happen to benefit from proximity with Goku and Vegeta, or they serve as a benefit to the pair in their own way such as in the case of Bulma with her supply of food for them.

Anyway, I wonder if the Z-group will use this opportunity to train. It would be golden to witness Piccolo, Gohan, and Krillin train in the ROSAT. It's an invaluable training resource yet no one outside of Vegeta and occasionally Goku seems to use it ever since the modern DB era began. Since they have a few months to prepare they could even locate Tenshinhan and the cyborg twins to use for the upcoming battle. I find that to be preferable to Goku and Vegeta predictably taking all of Moro's subordinates out as a demonstration of their newfound training.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 am

Kanassa wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 pm
Yasai9001 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm I see people don't like the fact that Moro is willing to let the protagonists get stronger; yes, it's a trope that's happened more than once in the past, but it actually makes the most sense here. Moro himself said that he'll let them get stronger because it'll be more chi for him to take. Everyone else left the Earth because they had to follow orders.

I don't see the big deal here. Moro only thinks that Goku and Vegeta are training to become strong enough to beat him, not to learn techniques and abilities that'll help beat him. Moro's logic is totally fine here in my opinion. He's actually being smart instead of being stupid.
Because it's another instance of Moro flip-flopping on what the fuck he wants to do, makes the chapter feel more pointless and is just general stupidy for a character the manga really wants you to think is smart. The lazy goat man needs to make up his mind. "Don't worry, NEXT TIME I WILL TOTALLY EAT YOU AND KILL YOU... Okay, I'll let you escape to eat more off of you even though this has fucked me over every god damn time." Usually, when this trope is used in a story, it's used like once at the end of the second act of said story arc. I don't recall many stories that have used it this many times with the same villain in the same story arc.

It especially adds a feeling of repetition when Gohan's fight basically ended in the same way every fight has ended in this arc.
It's a mix of greed (a trait that fits Moro, who is thirsty for more and more energy) and overconfidence. And it makes sense because he's already beaten Goku and Vegeta twice (once after both have recovered), so it's only natural that he thinks it's a good opportunity to let them live, because he already knows them and knows they're a rare source of power.

To me, it makes more sense Moro spared the Saiyans now (because there really is a reason, it's not just the plot's convenience) than in their first fight

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:53 am
In the anime there was character development and beerus feel a new respect for the mortals who participated in the tournament that includes roshi who was recognized as a great warrior by him.

in the manga there is no such character development and beerus still considers mortal life as less

do you think this terrible?
it is .. for me, which is the reason because I think that moro arc shouldn't be adapted to anime ... all that development would disappear
Beerus was never told that Goku and Vegeta were involved in the Namek attack. Whis left that info out

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:55 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 am
Kanassa wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 pm
Yasai9001 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm I see people don't like the fact that Moro is willing to let the protagonists get stronger; yes, it's a trope that's happened more than once in the past, but it actually makes the most sense here. Moro himself said that he'll let them get stronger because it'll be more chi for him to take. Everyone else left the Earth because they had to follow orders.

I don't see the big deal here. Moro only thinks that Goku and Vegeta are training to become strong enough to beat him, not to learn techniques and abilities that'll help beat him. Moro's logic is totally fine here in my opinion. He's actually being smart instead of being stupid.
Because it's another instance of Moro flip-flopping on what the fuck he wants to do, makes the chapter feel more pointless and is just general stupidy for a character the manga really wants you to think is smart. The lazy goat man needs to make up his mind. "Don't worry, NEXT TIME I WILL TOTALLY EAT YOU AND KILL YOU... Okay, I'll let you escape to eat more off of you even though this has fucked me over every god damn time." Usually, when this trope is used in a story, it's used like once at the end of the second act of said story arc. I don't recall many stories that have used it this many times with the same villain in the same story arc.

It especially adds a feeling of repetition when Gohan's fight basically ended in the same way every fight has ended in this arc.
It's a mix of greed (a trait that fits Moro, who is thirsty for more and more energy) and overconfidence. And it makes sense because he's already beaten Goku and Vegeta twice (once after both have recovered), so it's only natural that he thinks it's a good opportunity to let them live, because he already knows them and knows they're a rare source of power.

To me, it makes more sense Moro spared the Saiyans now (because there really is a reason, it's not just the plot's convenience) than in their first fight
Precisely my point. Glad you can see exactly what I mean.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Rakurai wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 pm
BWri wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:44 am This is DB we're talking about (especially Super). Usually the most convenient path is the one that's taken. Making a character related to one of the most mysterious and powerful species of beings is the easiest way to get them over with the audience. Honestly, I'll take that over more random aliens just being stronger than established characters for no reason. Either that or introduce a new power mechanic into the series that makes random strong aliens make sense. That's what I thought god ki would do, but really, it does very little and doesn't matter when people like Jiren exist.
Except Merus' initial value lay in his deep understanding of body techniques and martial arts, as well as his wits and clever uses of the Galactic Patrol's weapons, not his gigantic power level. As the Galactic Patrol's ace member, that seemed like a totally reasonable character trait to have even without a proper introduction.
That stuff can only get you so far though. We're talking about an organization that was ducking Frieza for years, that recommends against engaging adult DB era Saiyans (weaker than Raditz). No one in this organization should be above Saiyan Saga Early Namek PL and that's being extremely generous to them. Seeing Merus wrangle Moro to the ground with a containment device made little sense before the idea was introduced that he may be an angel. And if gadgets like this exist that can contain godlike powers, then Frieza and his army never should've been a threat. For Merus, it's skill combined with power.

If skill, cleverness, and martial arts technique had as much value against high level threats as you're ascribing then DB characters such as Krillin, Tien, Kami, and Roshi would have been relevant for far longer.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Just a reminder. I think people forgot that Moro let Goku and Vegeta live in order to continue to feed off of them back on Namek when his goons made their first appearance.

I don't think he is flip flopping.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:44 am
funrush wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:16 pm However I've been chomping at the bit to get back to the Yardrat stuff. The idea of Vegeta learning how to shrink/grow, instant TP, use shadow clones, etc. sounds really awesome and a cool way to shake up his fights.
Nooooooo! I feel this is so out of character and kind of goofy for Vegeta. I prefer to keep him separated from that era of DB. At most, I'd like maybe a single clone that talks just as much s*** as he does. That would be hilarious. But I'd rather the DB gimmicks stay with the DB characters. Vegeta's encroached on their territory enough.
I just think it'd be cool because it provides more opportunities for interesting choreography in the fight scenes. Plus Namek Vegeta's whole thing was being tricky and cunning until he felt he didn't have to be, so I don't think it's out of character for him to use techniques like that if they give him an advantage, since it's all him and not borrowed power. The only thing he seems super opposed to is fusion.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 pm

this won't be animated If super ever does come back ( i doubt it) they will start on another arc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:52 am

jplaya2023 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:01 pm

this won't be animated If super ever does come back ( i doubt it) they will start on another arc.
I highly doubt you're right. Of course they'll take a ready story to animate it. Are you saying this because you think they only animate toriyama only stories?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:52 am
I highly doubt you're right. Of course they'll take a ready story to animate it. Are you saying this because you think they only animate toriyama only stories?
It could be the case if they considered this a Toyotaro filler arc. Though there's a bit of new lore that would be hard to ignore later on