Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:53 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:43 am To say he "rethought everything" is a bit of a stretch. I'm pretty sure someone told him how fucked he was and that's what got him off the Icky Nicky train. If there were really a time that Vic was gonna rethink everything, it was gonna be when people were personally talking to him about his behavior, years before all this happened.
I dunno. If there's any chance at all that Vic will decide to just not appeal... That'd certainly be something. Would do everyone a world of good.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Vic should have stood with his orginal stance where he apologized and claimed his behavior was inappropriate but not his attentions and that he was willing to atone for what he had done.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:37 pm Vic should have stood with his orginal stance where he apologized and claimed his behavior was inappropriate but not his attentions and that he was willing to atone for what he had done.
Except, going by precedent, he wouldn't have stopped.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 pm Except, going by precedent, he wouldn't have stopped.
So he was right to not stand by his original stance where he apologized and claimed his behavior was inappropriate :P ?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:37 pm Vic should have stood with his orginal stance where he apologized and claimed his behavior was inappropriate but not his attentions and that he was willing to atone for what he had done.
Except, going by precedent, he wouldn't have stopped.
He wasn't caught to the degree he was with the outreach this last incident had. I for example didn't know about Vic till this incident despite reports going back a decade at the minimum.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm He wasn't caught to the degree he was with the outreach this last incident had. I for example didn't know about Vic till this incident despite reports going back a decade at the minimum.
Indeed. The others went away after a time, and this... didn't. It all finally caught up to him.

In other news, here's the final ruling on sanctions and fees:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 06688?s=20

Vic owes $525,542.42 in attorney fees & sanctions. It's all in his hands now. If he calms down, it's finally over. The only way this continues is if he appeals.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:28 pm

To clarify, quite a bit of that total is conditional. They only get it if he appeals and loses. If he doesn't appeal, the total is $238042.42 plus court costs (unspecified) and interest (5% per annum from the date of the judgment, today).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:31 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 pm He wasn't caught to the degree he was with the outreach this last incident had. I for example didn't know about Vic till this incident despite reports going back a decade at the minimum.
Indeed. The others went away after a time, and this... didn't. It all finally caught up to him.

In other news, here's the final ruling on sanctions and fees:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 06688?s=20

Vic owes $525,542.42 in attorney fees & sanctions. It's all in his hands now. If he calms down, it's finally over. The only way this continues is if he appeals.
Huh. I'm blocked by that guy for some reason. Wonder why.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:36 pm

not American, but I never liked vic. The moment I have seen his conventions panels on youtube something stroke me as "off" about this guy. And woo behold, years later finally everything gets revealed.

I hate the fact he got to be in the same room as Nozawa last year. Someone like him never deserved such honor. And he acted like a creep on that DBS Broly panel too, totally uncultured. I wish it never happened.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:31 pm
Fionordequester wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 pm https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 06688?s=20

He and several others on lawtwitter use blockchains, meaning if you follow Beard, Rekieta, or perhaps one of the pro-Vic YouTubers, you'll get blocked automatically.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Zinnia wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:36 pm not American, but I never liked vic. The moment I have seen his conventions panels on youtube something stroke me as "off" about this guy. And woo behold, years later finally everything gets revealed.

I hate the fact he got to be in the same room as Nozawa last year. Someone like him never deserved such honor. And he acted like a creep on that DBS Broly panel too, totally uncultured. I wish it never happened.
We're always working to improve ourselves, improve our understandings of situations, and be the best we can. So, we're in a place where we now know about Vic, and his venom will never again poison the air of any reputable con. So, even though things used to be bad, we've made an improvement. And this won't be the last time the anime community improves itself (not just talking about predators, but toxic attitudes in general).

Would have been nice if things were always as good as they are now, but personally I'm satisfied by the fact that we are indeed improving.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:51 pm

Terez wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:31 pm
Fionordequester wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 pm https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 06688?s=20

He and several others on lawtwitter use blockchains, meaning if you follow Beard, Rekieta, or perhaps one of the pro-Vic YouTubers, you'll get blocked automatically.
I don't believe I followed any of them. I might've followed Rekieta, but, if I did, I followed him for the same reason I follow Trump; to keep up with some things. I hate people that use blockchains. Like, guilt by association is awful, especially when people who just wanna keep up with something get unfairly caught in the crossfire. I got caught in MarzGurl's blockchain as well, probably for just following Vic, even though I was mostly waiting to see what happened with his case, or followed him before all this shit started in February. I never talked to her, or have anything against her, but got blocked by a blockchain for just following some people. That shit's Steve Shives-level stupid.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:55 pm

It's the most efficient way to get rid of all the people who are trolling and harassing them, so there's nothing particularly stupid about it. I've asked Marz to unblock a few people who felt they were blocked by mistake, and she doesn't have a problem doing that. I think she cast a wider net than the lawtwitter folks did.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 pm

I still follow Vic on Twitter and I can see these posts just fine. What are you guys seeing? :?:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:01 pm

Terez wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:55 pm It's the most efficient way to get rid of all the people who are trolling and harassing them, so there's nothing particularly stupid about it. I've asked Marz to unblock a few people who felt they were blocked by mistake, and she doesn't have a problem doing that. I think she cast a wider net than the lawtwitter folks did.
Then it might've also had to do with Change the Channel drama.

I'm saying it's stupid in that the algorithms triggered by the blockchains, much like YouTube's, can't & don't distinguish between people who troll & people who don't. It's efficient, but with a WIDE margin for error.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:01 pm I'm saying it's stupid in that the algorithms triggered by the blockchains, much like YouTube's, can't & don't distinguish between people who troll & people who don't. It's efficient, but with a WIDE margin for error.
That's why they'll generally unblock upon request. You want me to ask Greg right now? I've spoken to him lots of times before.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:01 pm I'm saying it's stupid in that the algorithms triggered by the blockchains, much like YouTube's, can't & don't distinguish between people who troll & people who don't. It's efficient, but with a WIDE margin for error.
That's why they'll generally unblock upon request. You want me to ask Greg right now? I've spoken to him lots of times before.
If you want, sure.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 pm

Sorting out the details via lawtwitter:

$238,042.42 is what Vic owes now, ignoring the sanctions that are conditioned on appeal
$145,500.00 is the baseline appeal-conditioned sanctions that Vic might already owe simply because Percy is an idiot and he already filed a premature Notice of Appeal (which will inevitably be dismissed) so...
$380,542.42 is the total he already owes by that logic (which the lawyers say is based on standard TX textualist practice)
$525,542.42 is the total he will owe if he appeals and loses (no disinterested lawyers think he has a chance of winning on appeal)

However, if he appeals, it is almost certain that the Defendants will appeal the sanctions ruling, as the judge awarded them significantly less than their documented expenses (not to mention their requested punitive sanctions). Most of the lawyers seem to think that, if they do appeal, they will certainly get more money, because the judge cut an extraordinary amount from their ask. So Vic could end up owing them closer to $800k when all is said and done, quite aside from what he owes his own attorneys.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:36 am

That turned out to be one big Oof on Vic’s end

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 am

Fucking hell, court is expensive.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!