Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:41 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:37 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 pm There's so much great stuff in DB, I don't know why anyone would intentionally skip it. It's a pet peeve of mind when people feel little to no desire to go back and watch it. Even "I'll get around to it" bugs me, especially when I read it from people on this forum.
But unless they make tons of movies that's what would happen with a retelling in live action. It won't be like the Disney movies where they have a similar runtime. And then you would have different continuity versions where in the retelling version those things just didn't happen or were changed, where as with a recap continuation version you wouldn't have that issue.
Not the same situation. The Disney animated movies are ALREADY adaptations.

A good adaptation will get the core and more importantly get the audience of people who aren't already hardcore fans to care. They won't get every single detail, but that's not what I would ask of it.

The recap does nothing but condense information but it won't emotionally bond anyone with the characters. You'll just confuse the audience and turn off hardcore fans who will be wondering why isn't this in animated form?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:31 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:55 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm
dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Because that streamlined manner will probably just be a worse version of what we already have. I can't understand why you would want to retell a story that's already been told in animation but just with live actors. I would rather a recap of the simple story than a streamlined, changed, and probably worse version of the story.

And the point would be to make a good movie. And I think an action packed movie that doesn't upset the core fans but is simple enough for the new fans would work better for DB than redoing a bunch of it.
How many movies are you wanting to use to cover DB(Z/Super)?
Why should new fans have to settle for important pieces of characterization and story to just be recapped to them? That's boring and haphazard

Just the mere act of fitting the stories into a 2.5 hour time frame in a different medium requires changes.

You're asking why fans would want to see the same story just in live action in the same year that near 1:1 live action Aladdin and Lion King remakes made billions of dollars.
And you're saying fans would be against seeing a later part of a story but in live action in the same year that episode 9 of a series that started on episode 4 and has had both live and animated media jumping around its timeline for decades but is one of the biggest franchises ever.

And I already covered the live action Disney remakes, some people like them and some find them pointless. The last person I talked to about the Lion King said he was looking forward to it, and then the next day told me he couldn't get through it because it was the same movie, just worse.

Also do you think they would make a 1:1 live action of DB?
You are again comparing apples and oranges he comparing Dragon Ball, an animated series, to Star Wars, a live action movie series. For casual fans, whatever animated adaptations of Star Wars are completely immaterial and again, aren't even big screen movies.

What you're asking is for a movie studios to make a big budget live action movie, a totally new medium, for a part of the story that only actual fans would understand. No executive is ever going to do that.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:39 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:31 pmWhat you're asking is for a movie studios to make a big budget live action movie, a totally new medium, for a part of the story that only actual fans would understand. No executive is ever going to do that.
Nor should they as the only appeal such a film would have is to hardcore fans and even then I'm not so sure.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:45 pm

dario03 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:37 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 pm There's so much great stuff in DB, I don't know why anyone would intentionally skip it. It's a pet peeve of mind when people feel little to no desire to go back and watch it. Even "I'll get around to it" bugs me, especially when I read it from people on this forum.
But unless they make tons of movies that's what would happen with a retelling in live action. It won't be like the Disney movies where they have a similar runtime. And then you would have different continuity versions where in the retelling version those things just didn't happen or were changed, where as with a recap continuation version you wouldn't have that issue.
But a recap is just that. A recap. Quick narrative information to make sense of things but builds no connection or reason for then audience to care. While there are skillful ways to pull off exposition, that would lead to insanely long movies like Goodfellas and that's not what you're gonna get with a Dragon Ball film.

ESPECIALLY when you're talking about 700 episodes worth of shit to recap. There is no point in making such an undertaking to get new viewers to actually CARE when you can just actually adapt that material to their own movies instead and be far more likely to succeed.

If you were an executive, you'd be laughed out of the building for what you've suggested in this thread. There is no audience for a Live Action Sequel. One hand, you have clueless new viewers. On the other hand, you have fans wondering why this isn't just animated like the rest.

And you can't make the argument of "why couldn't they just animate a movie adaptation of the story." Live action would be the entire draw of such an adaptation. It's the story they know brought to life while a huge new audience also gets to grow up on it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Independent of whether these particular rumors have any credibility to them, I actually see another attempt at live action Dragon Ball as an inevitability. I believe one of the next big things (or, at least, big attempted things) will be live action adaptations of manga/anime, once the well of Marvel/DC super heroes has run dry. A lot of series are close enough to super hero ilk to probably catch the eye of fans of the MCU, for example, and Dragon Ball already has an enormous built-in audience. If done well, with reverence and care, it could be big. But probably not. They would have to go above and beyond to convey their seriousness in treating it with respect.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:19 pm

I don't think superhero movies are going anywhere. It's a genre that's incredibly pliable and in an increasingly global world where people don't seem all that driven to go out to the cinemas for anything other than big budget genre films, it's poised to be the prominent genre for a lot longer.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am

Cape shit will continue to go on for a long while. I won't believe audiences are getting sick of it until the Marvel stuff starts underperforming. Though it'll be highly amusing to see what Hollywood will milk dry after that well inevitably goes dry.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:39 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am Cape shit will continue to go on for a long while. I won't believe audiences are getting sick of it until the Marvel stuff starts underperforming. Though it'll be highly amusing to see what Hollywood will milk dry after that well inevitably goes dry.
The day superhero movies die will be the day cinema dies. Whether you like them or not, superhero movies (and Joker, which isn’t technically a superhero movie, but is based on a character from a superhero comic) are some of the only things keeping movie theaters afloat right now.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:19 pm I don't think superhero movies are going anywhere. It's a genre that's incredibly pliable and in an increasingly global world where people don't seem all that driven to go out to the cinemas for anything other than big budget genre films, it's poised to be the prominent genre for a lot longer.
Ehhh movie musicals and westerns used to be a thing. And while you could maybe argue movie musicals had a modest revival with Moulin Rouge and Chicago it’s not exactly as common as it once was.

I don’t think super hero films are going anywhere soon but they will definitely implode and become a thing of the past.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:54 pm

That's something someone that only consumes tentpole blockbusters would say, threaters have been doing fine before the current super hero boom, with dozens of smaller budget movies screening.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:54 pm That's something someone that only consumes tentpole blockbusters would say, threaters have been doing fine before the current super hero boom, with dozens of smaller budget movies screening.
I actually watch plenty of smaller movies. The last movies I saw in theaters were The Lighthouse and (as of yesterday) A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. I’m simply pointing out that movie theaters are not doing particularly well these days. The box office in 2019 has not been faring very well. The fact that Disney went ahead and bought 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight doesn’t help matters.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Saying that cinema will die if superhero films die is a bit cynical.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:19 pm I don't think superhero movies are going anywhere. It's a genre that's incredibly pliable and in an increasingly global world where people don't seem all that driven to go out to the cinemas for anything other than big budget genre films, it's poised to be the prominent genre for a lot longer.
Ehhh movie musicals and westerns used to be a thing. And while you could maybe argue movie musicals had a modest revival with Moulin Rouge and Chicago it’s not exactly as common as it once was.

I don’t think super hero films are going anywhere soon but they will definitely implode and become a thing of the past.
Everyone keeps pointing to the western but there are specific reasons that genre went away, not the least of which was the sheer volume of them owed to cheap land to shoot them on. It was pure revisionist history and as time went on, the reality bumped up against the fantasy. Once Blazing Saddles came along, it was all over. Superhero movies can blend numerous genres. I don't think they will be a thing of the past. I think the wave will crest and it will not be quite as prominent, but it won't implode quite like you make it sound.

Going to see films in the movie theaters won't be as much of a thing as it once was, but cinema, film, and TV aren't going anywhere. We're probably consuming more than we ever have, just in different mediums. And maybe this will get some chuckles, but I think we're getting better TV and films on average than we've gotten. If your counter is to look at the current blockbuster landscape, I will tell you to please go out and see more movies and different types.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:43 pm

People have been talking about the superhero genre dying out since 2006. It hasn’t happened yet. Maybe things will change in the 2020s, but for the time being, I can’t take those claims seriously anymore. It seems more like wishful thinking.

Anyway, if superhero movies do die out soon, I doubt movies based on manga/anime like Dragon Ball would be able to replace them.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:39 pm
ekrolo2 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am Cape shit will continue to go on for a long while. I won't believe audiences are getting sick of it until the Marvel stuff starts underperforming. Though it'll be highly amusing to see what Hollywood will milk dry after that well inevitably goes dry.
The day superhero movies die will be the day cinema dies. Whether you like them or not, superhero movies (and Joker, which isn’t technically a superhero movie, but is based on a character from a superhero comic) are some of the only things keeping movie theaters afloat right now.
Oh, I'm aware of how bad the situation with theaters is nowadays. It doesn't mean I have much sympathy for the situation. The movie industry has basically told anyone who isn't the latest release of Avengers: Dawn of the Furious Justice Wars or oscar bait to fuck off to streaming places like Netflix. This, coupled with the fact TV can now rival and surpass movies in basically every area even 10 years ago they couldn't has sunk their audience.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:15 am

Thought I'd add more fuel to the fire.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotthisc ... movie/amp/

If true I like him for Goku.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:15 am Thought I'd add more fuel to the fire.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotthisc ... movie/amp/

If true I like him for Goku.
Now link to a credible source.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am

As someone who was the head manager of a movie theater for 11 years I can say without a doubt that the movie theater as we know it is probably going to die. Even back in the mid 2000s almost any movie opening weekend would have a sold out a show or two. It took a real stinker to not even have one sell out.

Now, for smaller theaters (2-4 screens), even big blockbuster movies are not performing as well. It seems as though only large multiplexes with the most up to date seating and visuals perform well at all and even then smaller movies don't perform very well.

I went to see The Lighthouse on opening weekend and there were only maybe a dozen or so people in the theater. Now I understand that movie doesn't exactly have mass appeal but still.

I think the last truly sold out film I saw was DBS: Broly if you can believe it (Joker and Endgame had a fair amount of empty seats), but that was opening night and the theater near me only showed it a handful of times.

With the advent of streaming services and the popularity of sites like Rotten Tomatoes persuading people to NOT see some movies because of their awful rating system I think it's just a matter of time before we see a huge shift.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:47 am

I doubt RT has any big effect on how many people go to the movies. I don't think going out to the movies will die. It will shrink but will never completely go away.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:18 am

omegacwa wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am .

With the advent of streaming services and the popularity of sites like Rotten Tomatoes persuading people to NOT see some movies because of their awful rating system I think it's just a matter of time before we see a huge shift.

Or it could be because of the inflation movie ticket prices and the ridiculous prices of the snack bar. That might be it?

Good god when I took my nephew to see Detective Pikachu it cost over $40 for an adult and a child’s ticket and 2 sodas and one popcorn

I doubt Rotten Tomatoes has any impact. People will see a movie if they want to see it regardless of what others say. And I’ve found the average movie goer doesn’t trust critics.