Was the Level remastering REALLY too expensive, though? Almost certainly not.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Was the Level remastering REALLY too expensive, though? Almost certainly not.

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm

For anyone still confused, a friend of mine put together a useful infographic summing up my conclusions. Click on the image for full size.

Apologies for the double-post/bump, but my previous post is several hours too old to edit.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Ajay

Re: Was the Level remastering REALLY too expensive, though? Almost certainly not.

Post by Ajay » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 pm

The DNR artifacts are identical between the Season Sets and 30th BDs, so I think it's more like this for those parts:

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Ajay wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 pm The DNR artifacts are identical between the Season Sets and 30th BDs, so I think it's more like this for those parts:

Fair point. My friend tells me he wanted to just keep the infographic very simple, but yes, that is a fair criticism.

EDIT:
Here's a new infographic.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Beautiful! :thumbup:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:57 am

For the next release its gonna be 16:9 with grain and the contrast turned to max
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:07 pm

jaisonas wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:57 am For the next release its gonna be 16:9 with grain and the contrast turned to max

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:15 pm

DHM211 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:07 pm
jaisonas wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:57 am For the next release its gonna be 16:9 with grain and the contrast turned to max
Ew
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:15 pm
Ew
You're right. The fans deserve something much better than that image. Allow me to fix it:

:mrgreen:

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:03 pm

“A little something for the HARDCORE fans! No need to thank us.”

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:43 pm You're right. The fans deserve something much better than that image. Allow me to fix it:

Ew.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:43 pm
Scsigs wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:15 pm
Ew
You're right. The fans deserve something much better than that image. Allow me to fix it:

Here's hoping Toei does the remastering for the 40th anniversary.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:05 pm

DHM211 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:03 pm Here's hoping Toei does the remastering for the 40th anniversary.
[image]
This can't be Toei's work. His middle fingers are visible in the image. As we all know, middle fingers are offensive to Japanese children as well as serious adult collectors, and must be removed in all contexts!!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:05 pm
DHM211 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:03 pm Here's hoping Toei does the remastering for the 40th anniversary.
[image]
This can't be Toei's work. His middle fingers are visible in the image. As we all know, middle fingers are offensive to Japanese children as well as serious adult collectors, and must be removed in all contexts!!
Dont worry, I just posted the unfinished Amazon Webrip. The definitive blu-ray release will rectify this issue.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:16 pm

This new set did at the very least give us a string of good posts in this thread. :D

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 pm

VDenter wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:16 pm This new set did at the very least give us a string of good posts in this thread. :D
If you liked those posts, then you're going to love this one, trust me.
What you're seeing now is Dragon Box footage.
This is the Orange Bricks. And this...
This is what is known as a shitty remaster that has ascended past a shitty remaster, or you could just call this the Blu-Ray Season Sets.
AND THIS...IS...TO SHILL...EVEN FURTHER...BEYOND! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!
I'm sorry that took so much longer than the others, I haven't had much practise to rip off fans with this home release.
Anyway, this is what I like to call the 35th Anniversary sets.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:18 am

You guys have forgotten that Toei is in the business of censoring Dragon Ball now:

Therefore I have taken the liberty of removing all of the blood and dirt from Gohan so that our poor boy can be cleaned up and suitable all over the world so that they won't have to censor it themselves! :)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:35 am

Oh jesus christ... :D
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 am

They only censored Z for the blood when it came to Kai. It was both to keep in step with the manga, which didn't have a ton of blood like the animators of the anime loved to throw in, as well as the TV station's standards being different than back then for its timeslot.

That's more of 4Kids' thing to censor blood into sweat. See their dub of the One Piece's Alabasta arc for examples. Toei only censors middle fingers for no real actual reason.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 am They only censored Z for the blood when it came to Kai. It was both to keep in step with the manga, which didn't have a ton of blood like the animators of the anime loved to throw in, as well as the TV station's standards being different than back then for its timeslot.

That's more of 4Kids' thing to censor blood into sweat. See their dub of the One Piece's Alabasta arc for examples. Toei only censors middle fingers for no real actual reason.
They've already censored things in the Z movies. With they're lower tolerance of blood in newer material, who's to say they won't remove blood in a future release?

I can't believe we're at the point where we have to worry about censorship in Dragon Ball again... and this is from the studio who animated it in the first place...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm They've already censored things in the Z movies. With they're lower tolerance of blood in newer material, who's to say they won't remove blood in a future release?

I can't believe we're at the point where we have to worry about censorship in Dragon Ball again... and this is from the studio who animated it in the first place...
I mean, they have to tone down blood for the shows because of the timeslot. One Piece & Super Sentai have to contend with the same thing since they're in timeslots for kids on networks with certain standards in place. It's not like they don't show blood either, they just don't have excessive amounts of it in the shows.