The most perfect continuation of Dragon Ball manga (DB&DBZ anime)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The most perfect continuation of Dragon Ball manga (DB&DBZ anime)

Post by Trouser » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 am

Hello, everyone. I was wondering about something. It'll never happen officialy, but discussion is always welcome. What would be, in your opinion, the best continuation of original Dragon Ball story? You can take concepts from Dragon Ball Super (manga and/or anime), Dragon Ball GT (movies too if you want) and Dragon Ball Online and mix it together to get the best possible experience.
Thank you.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: The most perfect continuation of Dragon Ball manga (DB&DBZ anime)

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:31 am

I'm kinda happy with the current Super storyline, I just wish the events occurred after the tournament with Uub. Adjusting a few things ofcourse :)

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:20 am

i guess you can always integrate villains like Baby or the Shadow Dragons into Super. Dragon Ball Online i don't know that well. The question is ... would it add any value? I like to keep GT GT and Super Super. Main reason IMHO: there is quite a different tone of voice in GT in comparison to Super.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am

The best sequel of Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball Online. I wouldn't change anything about it, but I'd like to add to it concepts from:

• Dragon Ball GT - Uub and Majin Buu fusion / Remake of the Baby saga (maybe) / Remake of the Universe adventure (maybe).

• Dragon Ball Super - Remake of the Future Trunks saga (leading Trunks to become Time Patroller).

• Movies - Janemba / Establish properly the existence of the alternate dimension and work/expand on it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:06 pm

The most perfect continuation is still, in my mind, Victory Mission.

Not because the Victory Mission manga itself was perfect, because it very much wasn't, but because it was a unique, different take on Dragon Ball that still felt like a very natural fit with the rest of the franchise, and its premise allowed for a lot of fun fan service that made sense and didn't have to take itself overly seriously, and it fixed up any potential canonical problems (it's hundreds of years in the future, so the truth of history is essentially lost, distorted into inconsistent legends), and the cast of characters was really fun...

And it was fine just being this silly little adventure thing that plays with the Dragon Ball mythos, ultimately. It's not trying to follow up on Dragon Ball in an ambitious way that could easily fall down in a number of ways (GT, for all the good it did, spent a lot of time floundering, and once it settled into its niche, it was still the lesser entry of the original three), it's not trying to recapture the nostalgia of an ephemeral, flanderised ideal of what "the golden years" were or anything like that (Super, despite having some flashy fights, is ultimately flanderised, stale, recycled, pasteurised, homogenised Dragon Ball), it's playing with the mythos, but it's doing something new, with a new cast of characters, with a new spin on everything, with the ultimate aim of just giving you a fun little dose of Dragon Ball every month. It's Yu-Gi-Oh Dragon Ball. it's nuts, and it's brilliant.

And yes, I'm still bitter that no one's fan-translated chapters 16-29 even though the raws are freely available to all on Shueisha's site. Come ON, people! Even just a rough translation of the text written up notepad would work!!

But, if I must pitch a unique, new "perfect continuation"...

Personally, I'd say that back in 1995/1996, I would have let the manga/"Z" ending hang for a few years, then basically do GT starting in sort of 2008/2009. If Toriyama isn't interested in being involved, then so be it. Do it in the form of a seasonal anime of about 25 episodes per year. Give the writers time to refine their storylines, and figure out the niche of the show early. Still have Tokunaga score it, still have the overall visual look be basically the same but done with modern tools, kind of like what were used in the 2008-2011 OVAs and the Kai OP/ED (though still have Nakatsuru instead of Yamumuro), still have basically the same kinds of stories being told as in the original GT, but with the Japanese fans having had time to cool down and begin to be interested in seeing more, it wouldn't get cancelled after just 64 episodes.
Eventually, though, it does come to a conclusion; Evil Dragons arc happens, and leads to the same ending we all know, and that acts as a definitive end to the story of Goku. Any further tales either are separate spinoffs, or set years later, in the Goku Jr. era.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am The best sequel of Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball Online. I wouldn't change anything about it, but I'd like to add to it concepts from
I can't say I'm in favor of any of the three sequels but what I did like about Online is that nothing eventful happened to Goku between the Buu saga and his (last) death. There were ten years of peace between Buu and EoZ, Goku goes to train Uub, and a few years later has his final showdown against Vegeta.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 pm

If you can accept that in the original manga the events of Dragon Ball Super happened, I'm pretty sure you can also accept that Dragon Ball Super happened in Dragon Ball Online.

The lack of mention doesn't mean something it's not there. Also because this is purely an out-universe issue.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 pm If you can accept that in the original manga the events of Dragon Ball Super happened, I'm pretty sure you can accept that Dragon Ball Super also happened in Dragon Ball Online.

The lack of mention doesn't mean something it's not there. Also because this is purely an out-universe issue.
Well I don't care about Super and prefer to think of it happening in a different universe from the original manga :P. I was saying that I liked what Online did and left alone the 10 year timeskip between Buu and EoZ. I didn't like some of the events that happened later but the idea that Goku's last enemy was Buu and he didn't face any stronger villains until his death I thought was good.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:09 pm
Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am The best sequel of Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball Online. I wouldn't change anything about it, but I'd like to add to it concepts from
I can't say I'm in favor of any of the three sequels but what I did like about Online is that nothing eventful happened to Goku between the Buu saga and his (last) death. There were ten years of peace between Buu and EoZ, Goku goes to train Uub, and a few years later has his final showdown against Vegeta.

I would sign for it to end that way, or at least the Toriyama-involved part. One final showdown between Goku and Vegeta.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Already exists.

And it goes past the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:07 pmWell I don't care about Super and prefer to think of it happening in a different universe from the original manga :P. I was saying that I liked what Online did and left alone the 10 year timeskip between Buu and EoZ. I didn't like some of the events that happened later but the idea that Goku's last enemy was Buu and he didn't face any stronger villains until his death I thought was good.
Oh, alright then. I agree that Goku's end in Dragon Ball Online is the best (actually it gave the best end for everyone). As emotional and mysterious the end for Goku in Dragon Ball GT was, I think Dragon Ball Online did it best. Contrary to popular belief, we don't need Goku to remain and appear forever, so apparently killing him off in a colossal battle between him and Vegeta is a nice ending, thematically speaking, for these characters.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:19 pm
Skar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:07 pmWell I don't care about Super and prefer to think of it happening in a different universe from the original manga :P. I was saying that I liked what Online did and left alone the 10 year timeskip between Buu and EoZ. I didn't like some of the events that happened later but the idea that Goku's last enemy was Buu and he didn't face any stronger villains until his death I thought was good.
Oh, alright then. I agree that Goku's end in Dragon Ball Online is the best (actually it gave the best end for everyone). As emotional and mysterious the end for Goku in Dragon Ball GT was, I think Dragon Ball Online did it best. Contrary to popular belief, we don't need Goku to remain and appear forever, so apparently killing him off in a colossal battle between him and Vegeta is a nice ending, thematically speaking, for these characters.
Goku and Vegeta kill each other?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:13 pm Already exists.

And it goes past the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.
That link doesn't go anywhere.

You're supposed to do [url=a link] to link to something. You did [url] with no = sign or link, which is a wrapper you put around a link to make sure it gets processed as a URL.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:44 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pmGoku and Vegeta kill each other?
Seems to be the case. After they leave Earth to battle, a huge explosion happens. Might be anything, an enemy appeared in front of them? Who knows. The problem is that they never returned to Earth since then. Which is why we are lead to believe they died.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:50 pm

But how is them killing each other thematically appropriate?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:51 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:50 pm
Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:44 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pmGoku and Vegeta kill each other?
Seems to be the case. After they leave Earth to battle, a huge explosion happens. Might be anything, an enemy appeared in front of them? Who knows. The problem is that they never returned to Earth since then. Which is why we are lead to believe they died.
But how is them killing each other thematically appropriate?
I think it's less that they killed each-other, more that they had one last fight to conclude their lives, and both of them ended up dying in space over the course of their last fight.

Maybe the fight concluded with them at a draw, and they just sat on some distant planet, and watched the sun set one last time before they both die. Maybe one of them conceded, and they didn't make it back to earth due to their aged bodies, especially with the toll the fight took.

I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of this particular ending of Dragon Ball... Honestly, Online's history always just seemed like a series of rough author's notes that really shouldn't have been published. Kinda like J.K. Rowling's post-Deathly Hallows Potterverse material.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:55 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:50 pm But how is them killing each other thematically appropriate?
Because ending with Goku beating Vegeta or vice-versa seems... Well, I don't have a word for that, but doesn't seem to be the right way.

As far as rivalry goes, their long history of one being stronger than the other at some specific points, it fits that in the end, they ended up being truly equals, even in power. Also, it goes without saying that they are Saiyans, and by definition, they want to fight. if they died battling each other, then they died doing what they were born for.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm

I don't like them being equals. It's not Goku and Vegeta's story. If it's implied they died together in a fight, that undercuts the point of Vegeta's arc. It seems even odder that so much thematic importance be placed on a character not introduced until 1/3 of the way through the story.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:10 pm

I like Super but I want them to go post-EoZ soon, and they can reuse some of the GT ideas for that.
  • Trunks, Goten, Uub, and Pan join the supporting cast as fighters. With a bit of a focus on Uub as Goku's disciple
  • Black Star DB arc & Shadow Dragons arc get revamped. Super sets this up with that filler episode where they wish on the balls to cure Pan's sickness but before that they were gonna abuse them by wishing for material possessions. They're just begging for a "stop abusing the Dragon Balls" arc.
  • Broly as a recurring character. Buu arc and Super had no idea what to do with Gohan and kept benching and unbenching him on a whim. A better solution is to let Gohan retire aside from emergencies (especially with Uub/Pan/Trunks/Goten able to fill the void) & give Broly more of a focus. Broly has the same shtick as Gohan did, ridiculous untapped potential he can't control.
    • Plus Broly has an interesting character arc set up. There's the learning to control his power thing, but there's also insane potential for him to have a showdown with a powered up Freeza. And besides, considering he lived his whole life alone, it'd be super wholesome for him to get to live on Earth with dozens of friends.
  • But speaking of Gohan, I really like the idea from DBOnline that he publishes scientific research on ki and becomes a famous scholar. That seems like a nice little bow on top of his arc.
  • Conclusions to this whole arc with Freeza. Goku just kinda revived space Hitler and that's a loose end we can't really leave hanging. Especially with how the end of the Broly movie clearly sets up that he's gonna return soon.
  • A drastic revamp of the Baby arc. The concept of the Tuffles going after the Saiyans is cool, and although I disliked the Baby arc in GT, it's a premise that has potential.
  • More God lore. Zalama still needs to be introduced. I don't totally buy that Zeno is King of All, there's probably a yin-yang thing going on with Zalama or Zeno has some abilities not touched upon yet.
  • Goku, Vegeta, and Broly visit Universe 6's Saiyan planet. Cabba/Kale/Caulifla/Broly training arc.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:53 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm I don't like them being equals. It's not Goku and Vegeta's story. If it's implied they died together in a fight, that undercuts the point of Vegeta's arc. It seems even odder that so much thematic importance be placed on a character not introduced until 1/3 of the way through the story.
Yeah, I kind of agree.

I much prefer something more like GT, where Vegeta learns to settle down and accept the life he's come to live, and he even has the humility to agree to fuse with Goku for the final battle.