"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:51 am

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:22 am From Ryō Horikawa's twitter:
https://twitter.com/ryohorikawa/status/ ... 0175773696

Translation with Google Translate:
I had a meeting with Toei Animation just before! ! I don't tell you the contents!
#Voice actor #Toei Animation #Dragon Ball
I'll laugh if they discussed for him to voice more Dragon Ball Heroes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am

I feel like Heroes would already be something he is contracted for.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:59 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am I feel like Heroes would already be something he is contracted for.
Yeah, but what if he was on a contract for x episodes and that ran out, then went to discuss a new contract? I hope and don't think that's the case, but you never know. Hopefully it's a new Super anime (and not just to voice a new movie).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:11 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:59 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am I feel like Heroes would already be something he is contracted for.
Yeah, but what if he was on a contract for x episodes and that ran out, then went to discuss a new contract? I hope and don't think that's the case, but you never know. Hopefully it's a new Super anime (and not just to voice a new movie).
Putting the effort into tweeting about it seems a little odd, though. If he was hinting at a new TV series or movie it would make sense, at least.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:16 pm

This could also have something to do with the new movie. Maybe a preliminary script is ready and was briefly discussed.
I don't think it's Heroes, that wouldn't make any sense for him to hint at because it has no news value.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Isn't this like the third or fourth time someone that's worked on super got on twitter and made it seem like they're working on the show?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:35 pm Isn't this like the third or fourth time someone that's worked on super got on twitter and made it seem like they're working on the show?

Yes, but isn't this the first time it's presented directly by someone who is very closely related to TOEI Japan?
The closer you get by the original source, the more reliable it is, one would expect.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:52 pm

Yeah, I feel like he wouldn't be all cryptic if it was just more Heroes. Whatever it is, it's something else.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:35 pm Isn't this like the third or fourth time someone that's worked on super got on twitter and made it seem like they're working on the show?

Yes, but isn't this the first time it's presented directly by someone who is very closely related to TOEI Japan?
I don't know if it counts, but didn't Masako Nozawa charge straight towards the camera and do Goku's ending catchphrase not too long ago?

https://twitter.com/aoni_official/statu ... 2843840512

She made it seem like Super was coming back. And then there was that Goku day poster that went out of its way to use Shintani's art direction only for it to have something to do with DBH.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:47 pm

I hope is 2uper he is talking about, maybe with the Moro arc coming to an end, they can go in being one arc away from the manga (two if they retell the Broly movie) thus reducing the unnecessary filler and having the manga and anime tell the exact same story, at least with this arc.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:57 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 pm

I don't know if it counts, but didn't Masako Nozawa charge straight towards the camera and do Goku's ending catchphrase not too long ago?

She made it seem like Super was coming back. And then there was that Goku day poster that went out of its way to use Shintani's art direction only for it to have something to do with DBH.

I think TOEI are overly secretive about things in general and very cryptic. The positive side is that the indication came from someone who is very near to TOEI. But i mean, this may be indicating 'something', but it's still very very vague. If they are still working on a new tv anime or a movie perhaps in which Vegeta has an important role (?), it seems like they really want to keep it the best secret since Roswell.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:57 pmI think TOEI are overly secretive about things in general and very cryptic. The positive side is that the indication came from someone who is very near to TOEI. But i mean, this may be indicating 'something', but it's still very very vague. If they are still working on a new tv anime or a movie perhaps in which Vegeta has an important role (?), it seems like they really want to keep it the best secret since Roswell.
By be so secretive about the anime returning though? They talked about the next movie earlier this year and that won't come out until maybe 2021. I'm curious what's to gain by keeping the anime a secret until like a month or two before it airs if they are working on it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:12 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:57 pmI think TOEI are overly secretive about things in general and very cryptic. The positive side is that the indication came from someone who is very near to TOEI. But i mean, this may be indicating 'something', but it's still very very vague. If they are still working on a new tv anime or a movie perhaps in which Vegeta has an important role (?), it seems like they really want to keep it the best secret since Roswell.
By be so secretive about the anime returning though? They talked about the next movie earlier this year and that won't come out until maybe 2021. I'm curious what's to gain by keeping the anime a secret until like a month or two before it airs if they are working on it.

I know the movie isn't a secret as such.
But let's say the gathering with TOEI was about the movie, in that case he isn't giving away any 'minor bonus' either.
It's all very cryptic and vague.

Generally speaking, Disney or other western producers tend to give away more information much earlier and even incorporate it in a beneficial way into their marketing strategy. In order to generate more intrest for their product in the (half) year before the release. I don't see the sense of it either.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:53 am

I vaguely remember this and I think it was made clear back then that it had nothing to do with DB specifically- it was Aoni related- the voice acting agency that represents her .

Regarding the tweet , I am so ever tempted to answer "we never learn"
All of the DB voice cast members have been used in several other Toei productions.

Also, if it is DB related, it again seems to hint at a movie. Seems kinda late if it were the series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:53 am

Michsi wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:53 am

I vaguely remember this and I think it was made clear back then that it had nothing to do with DB specifically- it was Aoni related- the voice acting agency that represents her .

All of the DB voice cast members have been used in several other Toei productions.

Also, if it is DB related, it again seems to hint at a movie. Seems kinda late if it were the series.
Why does it seem late for a new TV anime?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:53 am

Michsi wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:53 am

He used the tags Seiyu, Toei Animation and Dragon Ball in his tweet.
He would also have said the words in typical Vegeta-style according to some French translator (source: YouTuber Saiyko Devin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSYR_YWyue4).
It's most definitely DB-related.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:32 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:53 am
He would also have said the words in typical Vegeta-style according to some French translator (source: YouTuber Saiyko Devin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSYR_YWyue4).

Whoops, missed that.
sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:53 am

We've been talking about this series for a long time and our belief was that pre-production started as early as last year. Discussions with the voice actors should have happened long ago, I think. A movie slated for the end of 2020 would start around now I would say

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:32 am

Whoops, missed that.

We've been talking about this series for a long time and our belief was that pre-production started as early as last year. Discussions with the voice actors should have happened long ago, I think. A movie slated for the end of 2020 would start around now I would say
On what basis do you think that recording for a movie starts one year ahead?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 am

Whoops, missed that.

Not recording. Preparations for it. This was supposedly just a meeting. Voice work is one the fastest -moving processes so they usually only require a couple of weeks for it, but I would assume everyone involved would take part in meetings that discuss the movie early one. It was about around this time two years ago that they started working on Broly iIrc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:44 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 am

Whoops, missed that.

It was about around this time two years ago that they started working on Broly iIrc.
Your assumption would have more weight if you could provide some source for this.