"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:23 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:44 am
Michsi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 am

On what basis do you think that recording for a movie starts one year ahead?
It was about around this time two years ago that they started working on Broly iIrc.
Your assumption would have more weight if you could provide some source for this.
That's what the "iIrc" is there for. I'll need to sift through a bunch of interviews regarding production I only read once. I'm more than okay with being proven wrong. I'm not trying to convince anyone here one way or the other, just expressing some skepticism.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:23 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:44 am
Michsi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 am

It was about around this time two years ago that they started working on Broly iIrc.
Your assumption would have more weight if you could provide some source for this.
That's what the "iIrc" is there for. I'll need to sift through a bunch of interviews regarding production I only read once. I'm more than okay with being proven wrong. I'm not trying to convince anyone here one way or the other, just expressing some skepticism.
I'm not wanting to prove you wrong. But if what you wrote is right it greatly diminishes the chances of a new TV anime.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:35 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:44 am Your assumption would have more weight if you could provide some source for this.
I'm not wanting to prove you wrong. But if what you wrote is right it greatly diminishes the chances of a new TV anime.
They announced the new movie at Jump Festa 2017, which was in the middle of December, furthermore the director Nagamine stopped directing the Super series to focus on the movie before that. You can find the interview under the Broly section in the translations archive.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:44 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:35 am

They announced the new movie at Jump Festa 2017, which was in the middle of December, furthermore the director Nagamine stopped directing the Super series to focus on the movie before that. You can find the interview under the Broly section in the translations archive.
And voice actor talks started at the same time?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm not really following the drama here.

Regardless what Rorikawa talked about with Toei Animation, the fact that Kitaro is officially on its last arc and something will take its time slot remains. If it isn't Super 2.0, that will just prove once and for all there won't be such thing in the near future and some people should find better "sources" next time.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:36 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:44 am
dbgtFO wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:35 am

And voice actor talks started at the same time?
Probably not. Voice work would likely start 6 months at most from release. It doesn't really take that long to do, but we don't really know what their production schedule looks like in terms of voice acting.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Horikawa was told they are going forward with a movie with vegeta as the lead like toriyama mentioned 5 years ago :lol: :lol:

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Another tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryohorikawa/ ... 457344?p=v

Google translate: Yeah, it ’s been a long time, Ohmendo! #Vegeta #Dragon Ball #Jump #Shueisha #Toei Animation
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:57 pm Horikawa was told they are going forward with a movie with vegeta as the lead like toriyama mentioned 5 years ago :lol: :lol:

Well, i was thinking about the same thing. The fact Horikawa tweeted this could mean Vegeta has a big role in the project.
Why would Horikawa state such a thing in typical Vegeta-style if there isn't a strong connection to his role as Vegeta?

Just some innocent wild speculation: they could actually be making a movie adapting the foreshadowed Planet Sadala-storyline, as they know it's something that many fans would like to see. It would make sense from a fanservice perspective and why Horikawa specifically is actually aiming at it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Recording for a television series usually occurs a month before the episode airs. This meeting is probably just for setting up contracts for April, unless there's a new series coming in January.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 pm

The Super Anime will return too as I found out.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:44 pm

So, is Super coming back?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 pm

We still need some official announcement from Toei to confirm.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:08 pm

I personally prefer to think it's about the new movie, untill it's officially confirmed the anime is coming back.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:01 pm

I think Movie late 2020 and anime comes back in 2021

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 am

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 pm The Super Anime will return too as I found out.
Source?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:03 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 am
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 pm The Super Anime will return too as I found out.
Source?
I had a source but the page is blank. https://omnitos.com/news/2019/06/04/new ... 100-coming. Perhaps I shouldn't have believed it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Just wait for the official announcement of whatever is next. It seems like this announcement is finally arriving soon. Now it will be interesting to see what this is about, and if it’s an anime or movie.

I personally hope it will be an anime. Why can’t we get both a long-running anime and unrelated cool movies like One Piece does? Heck the movies may even be considered canonical if they fit with the story and are approved by Toriyama!

The story continuing only through movies would indeed be boring, and with the manga still going it would be head-scratching because for sure the next movie won’t be about Moro.

So maybe if Toriyama only wants to write movies they could have Toyotaro writing the stories between those movies under Toriyama’s supervision with Moro’s being the first one, and Toei would adapt the manga.
This wouldn’t be the ideal situation but it would still be better than just getting movies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:41 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:41 pm Just wait for the official announcement of whatever is next. It seems like this announcement is finally arriving soon. Now it will be interesting to see what this is about, and if it’s an anime or movie.

I personally hope it will be an anime. Why can’t we get both a long-running anime and unrelated cool movies like One Piece does? Heck the movies may even be considered canonical if they fit with the story and are approved by Toriyama!

The story continuing only through movies would indeed be boring, and with the manga still going it would be head-scratching because for sure the next movie won’t be about Moro.

So maybe if Toriyama only wants to write movies they could have Toyotaro writing the stories between those movies under Toriyama’s supervision with Moro’s being the first one, and Toei would adapt the manga.
This wouldn’t be the ideal situation but it would still be better than just getting movies.

I very much agree. Movies should mean for DB what it has always meant: an opportunity to go out with friends and experience DB in a different way than the usual weekly anime. Something 'extra' that happens from time to time to please the fans. But DB shouldn't deny its primal roots of success, which is the anime. If the manga had ended i'd object less to a movie only formula. But as long as the manga is running, that leaves a lot of stuff to be adapted first. It would feel most unnatural if the next animated content we get is arcs away from Broly.

I only prefer to think what the VA is referring to is the movie at this point, because 'you can't loose what you are surely going to get'.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Considering how good the animation of the Broly is, I’m almost inclined to say that I’d rather they just do movies from here on out, as opposed to bringing back the television series. Plus, if they bring back the television series, there’s a chance that just do an adaptation of Broly, which I’d rather they not do. Of course, doing something like that would likely entail skipping over the Galactic Prisoners arc, so that would be bound to confuse people.