Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Rumor: Disney Developing New Live-Action Dragon Ball Movie With Asian Cast

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:57 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:33 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:13 pmSay what you will about the pre-MCU comic book films, but at least they had a better understanding of tonality, balance etc.
Go back and try watching the 2003 Daredevil film with Ben Affleck sometime and get back to me on that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or hell, virtually ANY scene with Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin in the 2002 Raimi Spider-Man movie.

The early/mid 2000s run of superhero movies have NOT aged in any way remotely well or gracefully. Almost the whole 2000s and 2010s run of superhero films from the original 2000 X-Men movie up through today are largely 99% pure embarrassing dogshit, pockmarked with the VERY rare, occasional gem that almost feels like it snuck its way into existence on sheer accident.
Most people (myself included) would say that Willem Dafoe was one of the best things about the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films. Willem Dafoe’s fun to watch in almost anything. He even managed to be entertaining in a movie where he farts a lot. Come to think of it, William Dafoe would make a good Piccolo Daimao.

You’re right that the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films haven’t exactly aged well, but I wouldn’t consider them to be different from the first two Superman films in that regard. They’re cheesy and full of camp, but they have personality, energy and charm to them that makes it difficult to be bored watching them. Besides, while they’re silly and meant to be enjoyed by kids, they do have a couple of moments in them that remind you that Sam Raimi is a horror director.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:13 am

If Batman popped up in the real world today some would praise him and some would hate him and both sides would have points.
Last edited by miguelnuva1 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 am

The Dark Knight Trilogy has quite a strong following among right wing folks and white supremacist groups and it makes complete sense why they love Batman :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:02 am
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:56 pm Superheroes are very silly. It's people playing dress up to fight crime. It works because it's a colorful over the top genre, but if you try to take it 100 percent serious it all falls apart very quickly. Instead of Batman being heroic, if you put him in the real world, then you see him for what he is - the embodiment of white male privilege. He's a rich boy who instead of seaking a psychiatrist to help get over his issues, he dresses up in an expensive Halloween costume to live out a power fantasy. Even Nolan was right to point it out when Ra's al Ghul mocks him for taking his advice about being theatrical too literally.
Taking the comic books and putting them into movies is not the same thing as putting them into the real world. Both the films and comics are fantasy. Of course they shouldn't be taken 100% seriously. But the comic books were never aiming for "silly" or "comedy". They generally played it straight. So too should the movies. I don't mind humor, but the balance has to be right or else you risk disrespecting the source material or misrepresenting the stories and characters to the masses.

I'm not a fan of the notion that Batman needs a psychiatrist or has "issues". In the real world possibly. I don't mind it being used in the Nolan films as humor, but that's about it.
That's just a change in mediums. In a fictional setting, it's still inherently silly. The comics, nor the MCU are aiming purely for silly, they are usually aiming for fun. What prey tell is "the right balance?" That's such a vague idea and it's so subjective. These stories and characters have had many interpretations over the years, so I don't see how you can misrepresent characters and stories that are themselves pliable. And I'd like to point out that many of us grew up in the 80s and 90s so the comics we were exposed to as kids tended to be darker, but the 90s sucked for comics. The oversaturation of grimdark comics was a big reason for the comics bubble bursting. It wasn't a good time for the source material and isn't a great reflection of the genre as a whole.

Batman does have issues. He clearly has issues. He went through severe trauma and his way of dealing with it is dressing up and playing vigilante. I would also like to counter Julie's point that in most interpretations I've read, Bruce Wayne is a saint with his company. He pays his workers well, often hires ex-cons (many of whom he helped put away), is incredibly charitable, and tries to use his wealth to alleviate the poverty and corruption in his city. But, fighting corruption is more difficult than that plus it's an ongoing comic and Gotham has to stay corrupt in order to justify Batman's mere existence. It's a conceit you have to go with. Last point about Batman as this isn't a Batman forum, but I prefer incarnations where even as Batman, his method of dealing with situations isn't just using his fists. Yeah, that's fun, but I love whenever he shows empathy towards the villains like in the animated series and he tells Harley he had a bad day once, too.

Now, DB characterizations aren't as pliable, no moreso than Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. If whatever hypothetical film isn't Toriyama, it ain't Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:25 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 am The Dark Knight Trilogy has quite a strong following among right wing folks and white supremacist groups and it makes complete sense why they love Batman :P
Does it? I know Ben Shapiro had a boner for the trilogy and called The Dark Knight Rises the most conservative super hero film ever made (incidentally the most boring Batman movie ever made) and I know The Dark Knight as a pro-Bush film and The Dark Knight Rises as an anti-Occupy Wall Street are popular reads for those films. But I don’t think the movies are that popular with white supremacist even with a white bread cast.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 am

I so disagree with the idea of Spider-Man 2 having not aged well. To me, the Raimi films have more heart than any other Spider-Man film, even more than the MCU films with Iron Boy Jr.. And Willem Dafoe is the perfect Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 am The Dark Knight Trilogy has quite a strong following among right wing folks and white supremacist groups and it makes complete sense why they love Batman :P
Christopher Nolan is not a right winger and his Batman movies aren’t anymore right wing than your average superhero movie. I don’t even understand the idea that TDKR is anti-Occupy Wall Street. Ben Mendelsohn’s character is a corrupt businessman and Catwoman is a person living in poverty who is nonetheless not a bad guy. Also, the movie ends with the rich guy’s home becoming an orphanage.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:55 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 am I so disagree with the idea of Spider-Man 2 having not aged well.
It was terrible to begin with. I was always surprised at how low the bar must have been for it to be hailed as the greatest superhero film of all time when it came out.

Saying it didn’t age well implies it was good for its time, so I agree with you that I disagree that it didn’t age well.
To me, the Raimi films have more heart than any other Spider-Man film,
I agree on the basis that Raimi seemed to genuinely love the source material where as Amazing Spider-man was just a cynical move for Sony to retain the rights and start their own back alley abortion of an attempt at an extended universe to compete with the MCU and the MCU Spider-man felt more like Disney and Marvel waving their dicks that they got their biggest property on the MCU (at least the first film). I don’t think that makes the Raimi films any good though.
And Willem Dafoe is the perfect Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.
He was certainly the best part next to JK Simmons as Jameson. But I’ve felt for the longest time Tobey Mcguire was miscast, Franco kind of just slept walked through the role, and Dunst was given a horribly written character to work with.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:55 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 am I so disagree with the idea of Spider-Man 2 having not aged well.
It was terrible to begin with. I was always surprised at how low the bar must have been for it to be hailed as the greatest superhero film of all time when it came out.

Saying it didn’t age well implies it was good for its time, so I agree with you that I disagree that it didn’t age well.
To me, the Raimi films have more heart than any other Spider-Man film,
I agree on the basis that Raimi seemed to genuinely love the source material where as Amazing Spider-man was just a cynical move for Sony to retain the rights and start their own back alley abortion of an attempt at an extended universe to compete with the MCU and the MCU Spider-man felt more like Disney and Marvel waving their dicks that they got their biggest property on the MCU (at least the first film). I don’t think that makes the Raimi films any good though.
And Willem Dafoe is the perfect Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.
He was certainly the best part next to JK Simmons as Jameson. But I’ve felt for the longest time Tobey Mcguire was miscast, Franco kind of just slept walked through the role, and Dunst was given a horribly written character to work with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:25 am Does it?
I think so. Shapiro and his goons are certainly one of those that I had in mind, but I have also seen enough people on Twitter champion these films and one look at their bio tells me everything that I want to know about their ideology. Facebook is even worse.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 am Christopher Nolan is not a right winger and his Batman movies aren’t anymore right wing than your average superhero movie. I don’t even understand the idea that TDKR is anti-Occupy Wall Street. Ben Mendelsohn’s character is a corrupt businessman and Catwoman is a person living in poverty who is nonetheless not a bad guy. Also, the movie ends with the rich guy’s home becoming an orphanage.
Agreed on superhero shit generally being right-wing. TDKR is one of the most blatant ones. Bane is a caricature of what the right thinks about revolutionaries. They believe and want to push this notion that revolutionaries act like they care about the people, but in reality they want to cause chaos and panic. That's exactly what Bane does by turning Gotham into a militant hellscape ruling through fear. The climax of the film is Batman coming back and working together with cops(perfect combo lol) to beat up revolutionaries(all of them are predictably one note bad guys) to restore law and order in the city. The wealthy capitalist savior becomes the Jesus of Gotham and is celebrated in the form of a fucking statue. It is right wing as hell lol.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:08 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:25 am Does it?
I think so. Shapiro and his goons are certainly one of those that I had in mind, but I have also seen enough people on Twitter champion these films and one look at their bio tells me everything that I want to know about their ideology. Facebook is even worse.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 am Christopher Nolan is not a right winger and his Batman movies aren’t anymore right wing than your average superhero movie. I don’t even understand the idea that TDKR is anti-Occupy Wall Street. Ben Mendelsohn’s character is a corrupt businessman and Catwoman is a person living in poverty who is nonetheless not a bad guy. Also, the movie ends with the rich guy’s home becoming an orphanage.
Agreed on superhero shit generally being right-wing. TDKR is one of the most blatant ones. Bane is a caricature of what the right thinks about revolutionaries. They believe and want to push this notion that revolutionaries act like they care about the people, but in reality they want to cause chaos and panic. That's exactly what Bane does by turning Gotham into a militant hellscape ruling through fear. The climax of the film is Batman coming back and working together with cops(perfect combo lol) to beat up revolutionaries(all of them are predictably one note bad guys) to restore law and order in the city. The wealthy capitalist savior becomes the Jesus of Gotham and is celebrated in the form of a fucking statue. It is right wing as hell lol.
Bane isn’t a revolutionary. He’s an extension of the bad guys from Batman Begins. TDKR was written before Occupy Wall Street even happened. It wasn’t meant to be some statement on how capitalism is awesome and revolutionaries are evil. The movie wasn’t suggesting that poor people suck. Again, one of the good guys of the movie is Catwoman, who is depicted as someone who lives in poverty and dislikes the rich, while Ben Mendelsohn plays a corrupt and power hungry businessman. And again, the movie ends with the rich guy’s home becoming an orphanage. Also, Bruce Wayne wasn’t celebrated as the savior of Gotham, Batman was. The people of Gotham didn’t know they were one and the same.

Anyway, back to the topic of Dragon Ball...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:16 pm

I think people like the MCU tone so much because those movies can have a serious story line while being upbeat. They didn't have to be like Batman Forever-Batman & Robin of camp or be serious like the Nolan Batman movies.

I don't think Dragon Ball needs to copy the tone of the MCU to be fun and upbeat. The source material of Dragon Ball is already fun and upbeat to begin with.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:16 pm I think people like the MCU tone so much because those movies can have a serious story line while being upbeat. They didn't have to be like Batman Forever-Batman & Robin of camp or be serious like the Nolan Batman movies.

I don't think Dragon Ball needs to copy the tone of the MCU to be fun and upbeat. The source material of Dragon Ball is already fun and upbeat to begin with.
Dragon Ball is certainly not a serious series at its core, but a lot of the humor in the early parts of the series wouldn’t exactly translate well in a Hollywood movie for kids. The obvious solution would be to tone down the more raunchy and perverted moments of the manga, which is what DBE, bad as it was, tried to do. Of course, doing that might inevitably result in people accusing the movies of being watered down, so I guess there’s no winning.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm Bane isn’t a revolutionary. He’s an extension of the bad guys from Batman Begins. TDKR was written before Occupy Wall Street even happened. It wasn’t meant to be some statement on how capitalism is awesome and revolutionaries are evil. The movie wasn’t suggesting that poor people suck. Again, one of the good guys of the movie is Catwoman, who is depicted as someone who lives in poverty and dislikes the rich, while Ben Mendelsohn plays a corrupt and power hungry businessman. And again, the movie ends with the rich guy’s home becoming an orphanage. Also, Bruce Wayne wasn’t celebrated as the savior of Gotham, Batman was. The people of Gotham didn’t know they were one and the same.

Anyway, back to the topic of Dragon Ball...
That is why I said Bane is a caricature of what the right thinks and wants to push the notion of what a revolutionary is. He uses revolutionary rhetoric and actions, but to propogate fear and his ultimate plan or I should say Talia's is to destroy Gotham. It absolutely paints revolutionaries as crazy, evil people who want to plunge society into chaos while claiming to be for the people and should not be trusted. That is a right wing agenda. Batman and the cops are the only ones who are right. Catwoman's benevolence towards the poor and hatred for rich means jack shit and is something she stops believing in the end anyways cause the movie makes it very clear she supports Bruce which is proved further in the end when they are hanging out together. Batman and the cops restore the city back to the status quo ala capitalism. That is a statement and a pretty clear one.

But, yeah thats enough for off topic discussion and let's get back to DB.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 pm

The Dark Knight Rises also portrays the masses turning on the wealthy as mindless, violent mobs, rather than ever portraying a peaceful, if politically forceful, organized leadership ala Dr. King. It's basically a really stupid superhero movie that doesn't want to seriously tackle the themes it dabbles in because the studio doesn't actually want its audience to think about how the wealthy are fucking us and running out the back door with all of the money.

Personally, I want Boots Riley to try his hand at a Dragon Ball movie. It would be beneath him but at the same time he's the only person I can think of with an interesting enough set of beliefs that could work with a Dragon Ball movie. If Freeza really is a parody of landlords then Riley would be a perfect choice to write a story using Freeza. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 pm The Dark Knight Rises also portrays the masses turning on the wealthy as mindless, violent mobs, rather than ever portraying a peaceful, if politically forceful, organized leadership ala Dr. King. It's basically a really stupid superhero movie that doesn't want to seriously tackle the themes it dabbles in because the studio doesn't actually want its audience to think about how the wealthy are fucking us and running out the back door with all of the money.

Personally, I want Boots Riley to try his hand at a Dragon Ball movie. It would be beneath him but at the same time he's the only person I can think of with an interesting enough set of beliefs that could work with a Dragon Ball movie. If Freeza really is a parody of landlords then Riley would be a perfect choice to write a story using Freeza. :lol:
I don’t recall the movie ever showing the masses turning on the wealthy as violent mobs. The people who were shown causing trouble in Gotham were the violent criminals who were released from prison. This includes people like Scarecrow, who, as BB had shown, was a corrupt psychiatrist who worked with the mob.

Is Boots Riley a Dragon Ball fan? He’s only directed one movie so far and I’m not sure that political commentary in Dragon Ball would go over too well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:15 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:07 pm The Dark Knight Rises also portrays the masses turning on the wealthy as mindless, violent mobs, rather than ever portraying a peaceful, if politically forceful, organized leadership ala Dr. King. It's basically a really stupid superhero movie that doesn't want to seriously tackle the themes it dabbles in because the studio doesn't actually want its audience to think about how the wealthy are fucking us and running out the back door with all of the money.

I don’t recall the movie ever showing the masses turning on the wealthy as violent mobs. The people who were shown causing trouble in Gotham were the violent criminals who were released from prison. This includes people like Scarecrow, who, as BB had shown, was a corrupt psychiatrist who worked with the mob.

Is Boots Riley a Dragon Ball fan? He’s only directed one movie so far and I’m not sure that political commentary in Dragon Ball would go over too well.
No, I don't think he's a fan but if we're going to shoot for the stars with a new live action movie using Asian actors we might as well shoot for one with a good director and writer in Boots Riley. His sense of whimsy is perfect for a title like Dragon Ball.
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:19 pm

No, I don't think he's a fan but if we're going to shoot for the stars with a new live action movie using Asian actors we might as well shoot for one with a good director and writer in Boots Riley. His sense of whimsy is perfect for a title like Dragon Ball.
Seeing as how Internet fandoms have a tendency to rant about “far left politics” in entertainment, I don’t think that hiring someone like Boots Riley would be the best idea. Besides, Dragon Ball is one of the last places where you’d look to for any meaningful political commentary.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Seeing as how Internet fandoms have a tendency to rant about “far left politics” in entertainment, I don’t think that hiring someone like Boots Riley would be the best idea. Besides, Dragon Ball is one of the last places where you’d look to for any meaningful political commentary.
Those internet fandoms can suck my girldick. This is my silly fantasy, not their boring echo chamber where minorities and intelligent political policy don't exist. ❤
She/Her
bisexual milf

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:12 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 am The oversaturation of grimdark comics was a big reason for the comics bubble bursting. It wasn't a good time for the source material and isn't a great reflection of the genre as a whole.
Yes but just because something is not "grimdark" doesn't mean it has to be a silly bubblegum laughfest. There's a middle ground. Toriyama understood this. Marvel Comics understood this in the books. I wonder how someone who has only seen the MCU films would react to reading the comic books. A little surprised? Turned off?

Dragon Ball works better with a middle ground as well. That might be the biggest challenge for any potential film.

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 am Batman does have issues. He clearly has issues. He went through severe trauma and his way of dealing with it is dressing up and playing vigilante.
He dealt with the trauma as a child, and by the time he was an adult he was able to move on and lead a productive life as the Batman. That doesn't mean he never ever thinks about the loss of his parents, just that he put it in the rearview mirror a *long* time ago. Let's just say that I disagree with Batman having "issues".