The Anime's ToP or the Manga's ToP? Which one did you prefer?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Anime's ToP or the Manga's ToP? Which one did you prefer?

Post by wolflonnie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:10 am

wolflonnie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:51 am Anime but it's not even a comparison.
The manga version is a rushed, boring, unsatisfing mess, of which I can only remember the Jiren vs Roshi battle because of how ridicolous the idea is.
The anime version is entertaining and interesting overall, with interesting dialogues and chit-chats here and there, nice battles and strategy, plus many glorious moments.
I re-read most of the arc, and I'll add some thoughts.
I prefer manga Kale to the anime one. Far better in characterization, she's not an anime stereotype in the manga.
Frieza messing with Frost makes more sense in the manga, and... that's about it.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 pm

I still don't undestand that they see Kale in the manga ...
Her only problem was that he didn't want Caulifla to know his true power ... this is really bad since her relationship with Caulifla does not exist in this version does not justify her fear, outside that .. she is just power and nothing more .. ... there is no development or motivation of any kind, its only characteristic is to be powerful.
also the fact that caulifla did not notice kale's power makes her look more silly because even cabba realized it.

In the anime she is shy but is shows the relationship she had with Caulifla, they had a mutual affection, Kale had her motivations and goals, she wanted to become strong and overcome her fears to support Caulifla and her team was thanks to the fight with goku that achieved his goal and at the end of the tournament he won quite with this experience. a development as a person and as a warrior.

seriously it is very strange for me that they to get carried away by something very superficial
Dragon Wukong wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:20 pm
Alruneia wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:24 am Personally I'm undecided but leaning towards the manga. In general I prefer the manga ToP, since it doesn't drag on and on, it doesn't give everyone and their dog new transformations, and it treats Ultra Instinct better. However, it's also missing many of the great character interactions and moments that the anime provided. Katopesla, for example, was a treat in the anime and a waste in the manga.

I'll just go into a few topics:
- Kefla and the U6 saiyans. I vastly prefer the manga iterations of the U6 saiyans, and I wish I had the ability to say I prefer manga Kefla as well, but I just can't. Toyotaro had a great idea in giving us Gohan vs Kefla, but then he barely showed us any of it. It should have been expanded upon. I don't like anime Kefla too much, especially not how she was powered into the heavens but then just used to give Goku UI Sign again, but on its end, the manga just really doesn't show us enough, so I have to go with "undecided".

- Ultra Instinct. While the anime may have the "hype moments" and whatnot, Ultra Instinct is treated like some kind of powerup ("Goku Blanco") when it's really just supposed to be a martial arts technique. In the manga, Ultra Instinct is treated much more like the technique it's supposed to be. ("Attacks that exploit openings are not true strength!" - Jiren) The way UI is achieved in the manga is strange to some people, since it's inspired by Master Roshi, but personally I find it more acceptable than the whole Spirit Bomb scene. For me, the manga wins here.

- Minor characters. While the anime did set up a kind of "everyone waits their turn to fight Universe 7" formula, which is a really bad format when it's supposed to be a battle royale, it did manage to give almost every character their time in the spotlight. The manga didn't use that kind of format, and that's good, but by not doing so it instead threw a lot of characters out of the fight without giving them anything. The question is if the format is more important than the characters, and in this case, in my opinion, the characters win out. For me, the anime wins here.
Summed up most of my opinions, but to add one thing, Frost and Frieza's "team up" was an actual team up in the manga, and Frost felt more like a genuine threat that Frieza helped remove. I think the manga definitely won with that.
I don't see how ... frost did everything by eliminating an entire team, as such they never fought together

TobyS wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am New u6 saiyans aren't too over hyped and over powered. Freeza maintains he was sandbagging and could beat Kale and she tires and gets owned by fodder.

Keflas lower as she realistically should be and Gohans higher as he should be and they meet in the middle. Gohans contribution means Goku doesn't have to get tired fighting both of them...
caulifla in the manga manages to damage frieza final form and according to the movies, frieza final form has the power of SSJ God

frieza boasts as always ... he doesn't know how to feel the ki but goku thought he needed his help

comments of vados, champa and kahseral
and it is not realistic that gohan has that power .. vegeta or frieza maybe
TobyS wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am Goku doesn't have the immersion breaking magically restoring stamina and Jiren doesn't look like a complete dumbass letting Goku gradually grow strong enough to fight him.
that's not quite correc...
goku recovers energy thanks to frieza.
jiren wanted to prove his principles were the right ones
and anyway they both do the same do not eliminate goku even though they have the opportunity
would also say that Jiren was waiting for Kale to eliminate 4 universes even though he could kill someone ..

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 pm Because it's quite likely that Toyotaro eliminated many characters so fast it's because they were already given focus in the anime, so he felt he could mostly skip them
It's possible, but honestly, I suspect the real reason is that either Toyotaro or his editors didn't want to fall too behind the anime. I don't think the fact that the manga ToP ended just one month before Dragon Ball Super: Broly's release in Japan was a coincidence...

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Gokitalo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 pm
ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 pm Because it's quite likely that Toyotaro eliminated many characters so fast it's because they were already given focus in the anime, so he felt he could mostly skip them
It's possible, but honestly, I suspect the real reason is that either Toyotaro or his editors didn't want to fall too behind the anime. I don't think the fact that the manga ToP ended just one month before Dragon Ball Super: Broly's release in Japan was a coincidence...
it's probably both: he had to hurry, and the anime already did show-off many characters, so he kept the use of secondary fighters to the minimum.

Toyo's ToP taken alone without the anime as support is incredibly bland an boring and unnaturally fast.
Introduces tons of characters and then proceeds to do nothing whatsoever with them

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:42 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:27 pm
Toyo's ToP taken alone without the anime as support is incredibly bland an boring and unnaturally fast.
Introduces tons of characters and then proceeds to do nothing whatsoever with them
Definitely agree. One of the great things about the anime version was that we got to learn quite a bit about the 75 new warriors introduced, along with their respective angels, gods of destruction and Kaioshins. The manga kind of felt as if five or so characters were given gigantic brushes to sweep everybody else out of the ring with. I personally would love it if Toyotarou one day decided to go back to his version of the ToP to add some extra pages to flesh it out for a future reprint. Probably won't happen, but who knows...

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:22 pm

On one hand, the anime version ToP went on for far too long, to the point where I couldn’t help but breathe a massive sigh of relief when it was all over. On the other hand, the manga version of the ToP had the opposite problem, where everything just felt extremely rushed. I also prefer the way the manga handled Jiren and the rest of the Pride Troopers, and I thought Ribrianne’s shtick in the manga was more amusing than the magical girl parody she was in the anime. At the same time, though, the anime had some nice character moments, and some cool team dynamics. Also, the win against Jiren felt much more satisfying in the anime, though part of that may have just been my aforementioned relief about the arc finally ending.

Anyway, I suppose the anime edges the manga out for me. Neither version of the arc is what I’d consider to be particularly good, but I think the anime had greater highs.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:13 am

Neither is particularly good, but the manga at least has mercy on the reader and gets things over with quicker than the anime. I’ll never rewatch the anime ToP solely because of the pacing, but I have no qualms rereading the manga version.

It also has more natural character moments. The anime went out of its way to highlight everyone in a way that very felt not Dragon Ball.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 am

I don’t really like either that much but I’ll give it to the manga because at least it was short and didn’t have the ridiculous heroic Goku/Freeza scene at the end

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:05 pm

OhHiRenan wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:13 am Neither is particularly good, but the manga at least has mercy on the reader and gets things over with quicker than the anime. I’ll never rewatch the anime ToP solely because of the pacing, but I have no qualms rereading the manga version.

It also has more natural character moments. The anime went out of its way to highlight everyone in a way that very felt not Dragon Ball.
an anime and a manga have different pacing ..

and this was the first time that the series that has 10 warriors as its protagonist ... so that each one has to give their moment otherwise the premise would not make sense

In any case, maybe it's normal ... if you don't like something, you probably prefer it to end faster

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Honestly, it's been ages since I've seen either (so let me know if I'm missin' anything!), but for me, I'd have to go with the anime adaption.

The manga does have some things I liked, however, such as exploring Jiren's motivations for wanting to obtain the wish, as well as moments like Frost's elimination (which I was never the biggest fan of in the anime; forgive me if I'm misremembering, but I never recalled full-power having the same speed drawback as third grade SSJ). I know, of course, that the pacing is naturally going to be different between an anime and a manga, but I couldn't help but feel that, even then, the manga's pacing was incredibly rushed. I realise, of course, that the anime practically runs into the opposite problem, so I'm stuck in this weird place of really liking the first little bit of the manga's adaption of the ToP, while overall having to go with the anime's adaption just due to not liking how the manga handled everything else beyond that point by comparison. The finale in particular felt very underwhelming to me in the manga, while episode 131 of the anime has to be one of my favourites of all time.

I'd say that, either way, the tournament has a lot of missed potential. The pacing has issues in whichever adaption you end up watching, and even though I know it isn't usually something that's given a lot of focus I couldn't help but want to see more strategy overall. It's a battle royale, yet characters just politely line up to fight U7 one after the other. We don't see anything like rival universes teaming up to try and take down the greater threats, and in general, most of the other universe's characters all felt so weak that it was difficult to feel much real tension fighting them.

Then there's Jiren, who I'm not going to get into much here (unless you'd like me to, of course), but who is someone I have a lot of problems with writing wise. In general, I didn't really start to enjoy his character until he started losing his cool around the end of the tournament.

Either way, that's just my two cents on the matter. It's been a bit too long since I've seen it to get into much more detail than that, since I don't want to start getting my facts wrong (and apologise if I already have), but overall I'd have to say that the anime just ekes out the competition for me. Ideally, I'd have wanted to see a third version that contained all the elements I liked from both, but that's more of a personal thing than anything.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am

From story telling-perspective the anime by far. I prefer however how Jiren is drawn by Toyotaro in comparison to the anime.