"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:06 pm

I am so psyched for this, and I can't wait to hear some better quality clips of him in the role. I wanted him for Jiren originally, but once Broly was obviously gonna get re-cast, he was my big hope there too. Broly's in good hands, though I'll definitely be curious to hear him as old-style Broly in stuff too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm

I gotta say, JYB can pull off a better scream for Broly than Vic could.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm I gotta say, JYB can pull off a better scream for Broly than Vic could.
Mignogna's never been very good, honestly. Bosch is a colossal improvement.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm I gotta say, JYB can pull off a better scream for Broly than Vic could.
Not like the bar was ever high though.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 pm

From what I was able to make out from the clip, JYB’s Broly doesn’t seem to have as deep a voice as Vic Mignogna’s version, which is ironic, considering what Mignogna sounds like in real life. This’ll definitely take some getting used to.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the ISWV crowd on YouTube and Twitter seem to be okay with this. I guess it helps that JYB is a pretty well liked VA (although I personally am primarily familiar with him from Power Rangers) and that Mignogna supposedly gave his blessings for this.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm

It's very strange that the English dub side of things never gives Broly a particularly deep voice. Bosch, again, is in the soft, young side. But he is a much better screamer than Vic.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:36 am

ConfusedPhantom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm But he is a much better screamer than Vic.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:44 am

The S wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:36 am
ConfusedPhantom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm But he is a much better screamer than Vic.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Walked right into that one, didn't I

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 am

His voice reminds me more of the Japanese seiyu's voice than Vic did

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:25 am

So do we now call him "Dead weight Broly?" "Black Ranger Broly?" "Welcome home big Broly?" Also between this, Hit and Jiren, we're now three for three on DBS antagonists that are also major JoJo players in the dub. Now we've got more cause than ever to have a Broly v Jiren fight in canon. Forget settling power scaling debates, lets get Jonathan v Dio up in here.

Obviously the focus is on the voice, but the gameplay stuff is interesting. All we really saw were autocombos, but Broly seems to have a super cinematic autocombo, or possibly a jumping grab. His assist is a Bluku-esque divekick with a bit more speed, and he apparently doesn't keep his Full Power green hair form even after landing a level 3. Still loses the armour which is a little weird.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 am

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 pm By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the ISWV crowd on YouTube and Twitter seem to be okay with this. I guess it helps that JYB is a pretty well liked VA (although I personally am primarily familiar with him from Power Rangers) and that Mignogna supposedly gave his blessings for this.
I personally wouldn't be surprised if that was a big factor in why he was chosen too. I mean, not only is he a good fit, but everyone involved in Dragon Ball's casting at this point was going to be extremely well aware of the minefield that a new actor for Broly was going to be stepping into. As much blowback as anyone was going to get, it was going to be far less of a blowback if the person was also already a big and well liked name, like JYB is. It's a smart re-casting all the way around.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:59 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 am
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 pm By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the ISWV crowd on YouTube and Twitter seem to be okay with this. I guess it helps that JYB is a pretty well liked VA (although I personally am primarily familiar with him from Power Rangers) and that Mignogna supposedly gave his blessings for this.
I personally wouldn't be surprised if that was a big factor in why he was chosen too. I mean, not only is he a good fit, but everyone involved in Dragon Ball's casting at this point was going to be extremely well aware of the minefield that a new actor for Broly was going to be stepping into. As much blowback as anyone was going to get, it was going to be far less of a blowback if the person was also already a big and well liked name, like JYB is. It's a smart re-casting all the way around.
You know, I reckon that was similar thinking behind casting Veronica Taylor as Ribrianne. Not for anything the actor did obviously, just they were probably aware of how bloody dramatic her haters were and figured it would be a great way to get people to lay off. The sort of manchild that gets worked up about fat girls in DBZ is also the sort who'd go easy if the fat girl was voiced by muh childhood Ash Ketchum. Plus it helps she'd done magical girl stuff before.

Speaking of which, reminder: I don't care about Broly anymore, put Ribrianne in FighterZ. Season 3, come on.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am

I've seen a couple people claim this, but I don't see any source for it? I thought I saw others claiming Mignogna and Bosch are "good friends" as well, but I can't even readily find a photo of the two together that isn't on a convention panel several seats apart.

Frankly, I don't care if Mignogna gives his blessings or not, but if his fans are accepting the change and trying to spin it as a positive, that's a good sign at least. The last thing we need is more VA harassment.

One question I have, though... Mignogna still voiced the DBZ Broly in the game, and I know they add interactions between DLC characters and previous characters. Obviously Mignogna won't be voicing new content for the game, so... what do they do with that? Do they have Bosch imitate him for any potential new lines? Or do they patch out Mignogna entirely and have Bosch play both Brolys?

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am

Bryesque wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am
I've seen a couple people claim this, but I don't see any source for it? I thought I saw others claiming Mignogna and Bosch are "good friends" as well, but I can't even readily find a photo of the two together that isn't on a convention panel several seats apart.

Frankly, I don't care if Mignogna gives his blessings or not, but if his fans are accepting the change and trying to spin it as a positive, that's a good sign at least. The last thing we need is more VA harassment.

One question I have, though... Mignogna still voiced the DBZ Broly in the game, and I know they add interactions between DLC characters and previous characters. Obviously Mignogna won't be voicing new content for the game, so... what do they do with that? Do they have Bosch imitate him for any potential new lines? Or do they patch out Mignogna entirely and have Bosch play both Brolys?
My guess would be that they leave in old creeper Broly's lines, but any new interactions will be Bosch doing whatever voice he's going to be using for original Broly, with no attempt to make them fit together.

I say this because of how they've handled Goku Black and his new pre and post battle quotes. Regardless of why they switched his voice up to being growly, the juxtaposition between it and the faux British show that they don't seem to have a problem with a character having a radically different voice for no apparent reason. Even if the rest of the character is still using the other voice.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:59 am
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 am
You know, I reckon that was similar thinking behind casting Veronica Taylor as Ribrianne. Not for anything the actor did obviously, just they were probably aware of how bloody dramatic her haters were and figured it would be a great way to get people to lay off. The sort of manchild that gets worked up about fat girls in DBZ is also the sort who'd go easy if the fat girl was voiced by muh childhood Ash Ketchum. Plus it helps she'd done magical girl stuff before.

Speaking of which, reminder: I don't care about Broly anymore, put Ribrianne in FighterZ. Season 3, come on.
I thought the hate for Ribrianne was primarily due to her never shutting up about “love”, despite the fact that she’s a shallow jerk who assaults random people for doubting her skills as a fighter?

To be clear, I don’t despise Ribrianne’s character, but I didn’t particularly care for how her anime incarnation seems to come across as a pretty shallow parody of the magical girl genre. I actually kind of prefer her manga counterpart, where her shtick is that she has warped standards of what qualifies as beautiful. It helps that she never overstays her welcome there, though that may just be a result of the manga’s rushed pacing for that particular arc.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Looks like someone got some clips of Bosch actually talking for the role instead of just the screams, so we have an even better idea of how he sounds now.

I'm liking it. Still super curious how he'll sound as classic evil Broly though.
Twitter

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm Looks like someone got some clips of Bosch actually talking for the role instead of just the screams, so we have an even better idea of how he sounds now.

I'm liking it. Still super curious how he'll sound as classic evil Broly though.
Sounds a bit too Ichigo for me to separate that it's Johnny, but I don't hate it. It's nice. He always has really nice power in his screams.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:55 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm Looks like someone got some clips of Bosch actually talking for the role instead of just the screams, so we have an even better idea of how he sounds now.

Sounds a bit too Ichigo for me to separate that it's Johnny, but I don't hate it. It's nice. He always has really nice power in his screams.
When I heard the clip with just the gameplay I kept waiting for him to scream Getsuga Tenshou!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:25 am

I gotta admit, JYB's voice for Broly actually sounds pretty close to Shimada.
Caulifla best girl! :)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:47 am

Wonder if they'll go through the trouble of redubbing the movie :think: