Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DHM211 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Heres the one of the tweets I was referring to:

"amazing audio, the music is mixed perfectly...", honestly this is hilarious. I'm almost positive him and I downloaded the same copy, in which the description of the release listed two audio tracks, Japanese Broadcast and TV rip.

So either geekdom couldn't be bothered to read the literal description of the torrent he downloaded, or he was straight up lying to his audience in order to generate hype (an in turn, retweets which lead to more followers).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm This, and the fact that he never cites any sources for stuff like his Dragon Ball In Depth videos (which are basically just him collecting information from various Kanzenshuu articles and such, which he consistently fails to cite in any form) has lead me to lose a lot of my respect for him.
That's what did it for me. I recall seeing a comment on one of his videos late last year where the poster called him "the leader of the DB fandom", which is both absurd (fandom leaders??) and not true. Most of his information has been readily available on Kanzenshuu, and the people who spent years contributing to this site are the ones that deserve the credit.

Geekdom has also had many issues with audio mixing, where random parts would be extremely loud comparatively, and I recall trying to watch a video of his a few months ago and it still had that issue, and that's just a major turn off for me for videos in general.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:40 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:23 pm
But it's so 2003 it HURTS! I know Golden Frieza didn't exist at the time, but this is the equivalent of SS3 or 4 (or 5) Goku wielding a blue lightsaber, like he'd actually need one...
He's just mashing his 2 favorite fandoms together. Nothing wrong with it. I like it as my 2 favorite things are also Star Wars and Dragon Ball.
I am mostly kidding around, haha.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Did a compare of an epsiode and the DNRED full frame from the Season Set special feature
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DGGWLNNX

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:19 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 pm Did a compare of an epsiode and the DNRED full frame from the Season Set special feature
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DGGWLNNX
Damn. The season set, minus the rounded corners, looks actually presentable.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:14 am

While I wouldn’t call the 30th anniversary remaster “good” by any means, I will certainly call it an improvement over the 2013 remaster.

I think the Magenta color grading looks far better than the yellow one the 2013 remaster had. And while I would have preferred the real grain be left on, the fake grain certainly looks better than no grain, imo. I usually use fake grain in VLC anyway because I like the way it looks on grainless films.

Overall, Id rank the 2013 blu-rays as 2/10, and and the 30th anniversary set 3.5/10 (1 more point for 4:3, 0.5 points for the improved PQ).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:29 am

Just a series of snapshots from Dragon Ball flashbacks (for those interested)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:19 am

I'm a more casual Dragon Ball fan in that I'm a broader anime fan that's followed the medium/industry for 25 years and have about 1,500 releases on my shelves, and Dragon Ball's something I enjoy among the entire medium without being obsessive about it. So I don't live and breath the series or regularly live among its specific fandom (hence the stats on this account).

So from the outside looking in, Geekdom has always seemed to me like some nobody clown (never heard of him before this topic, as his name doesn't seem to extend to the broader anime fandom) that those even less-informed than he seem to look up to and reward him for, the same way we see in American politics today. As others have described him, he's simply another armchair critic/fan who simply masquerades as a person with insider information, higher reasoning or insight, or journalistic integrity, of which he seemingly lacks all three. I wouldn't give him a second thought or the time of day, outside of acknowledging him as a joke and a symptom of our culture rewarding loudmouth incompetents. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Good for him for spinning his fandom into something profitable for himself though, even if he still is clearly deeply insecure about himself which he attempts to mask via condescending aggression whenever questioned by those far more intelligent than he. And at least he churns content which seems to appeal to certain fans.

It was indeed amusing though, him trashtalking in this topic, as others have pointed out based on entirely baseless suppositions that were not at all well-founded and obviously turned out to be wrong. I wasn't entirely correct in all of my theorizing either (predicting after the initial announcement that the 30th Set would be nothing more than repackaged season sets, akin to Bebop's Anniversary release), but in my own armchair knowledge of the industry and of Funi, and in making comparisons between their two crowd-funded Anniversary releases, I turned out to be far more correct in terms of the maximum efforts Funi would be willing to put in, the blatantly obvious indicators that Toei themselves weren't behind the domestic Anniversary release (and as such that we shouldn't expect their involvement or materials), as well as the predictable problems that would arise in terms of Funi's recurring issues with excessive DNR and their more recent inclinations towards degraining and then regraining. And I obviously didn't lace my predictions under any false veil of authority.

As such, I wasn't anywhere near as disappointed in this release as others have been, because I had little faith in Funi to begin with, and I still purchased the set just for the collector's value of it and possibly to flip (being a realist that acknowledges that personally boycotting the release, or even this entire particular community boycotting the release, wouldn't have stopped the thing from being successfully funded or of having much influence whatsoever in Funi changing their practices, considering the casual adult fanbase which it would nonetheless still sell to).

And with that, I'll go back to not giving him a second thought, as he provides absolutely nothing that interests me or adds to my knowledge base.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 pm

DHM211 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 am Geekdom shouldn't have been calling people idiots (or "clout chasers", like he calls them) for not believing his baseless claims that the whole series was being remastered by Toei.

He had nothing to base his claims on. The 17 pre-BOG movies were clearly remastered to hype up the upcoming 20th movie release(Broly), and to have something presentable to show in theaters for the limited time showings, as was the Bardock TV special.

Geekdom deleted the tweet, but I recall him literally tweeting video footage of a Japanese TV rip of Bardock (that was available on certain torrenting websites for anyone to download), and acted like he had some insider sending him "exclusive" footage from the remaster. Furthermore, he stated how "impressed" he was with the "remastered" audio quality, before people pointed out to him that the uploader who posted the TV special online synced it up with broadcast audio :lol:

People on here and twitter kept pointing out how remastering 17 movies is a whole lot easier than 291 episodes, but unlike us, geekdom knew better and made an assumption that because 17 movies were remastered, so would the whole series. Tbh, the only real mystery to me is why Toei decided to remaster the Trunks special. Maybe to one day sell both TV specials together, idk. Different story for a different day.

Like @Robo4900 pointed out, Funimation already had the entire Z series saved in wonderful HD quality, and had to do minuscule work for their """remaster""", unlike Toei, who would literally have to remaster 291 film reels from scratch.
Like I said, I'm not gonna say he was a saint on Twitter. Clearly he has a habit of claiming shit & trying to back it up with false evidence, but he WAS clearly thinking that Toei was gonna remaster the series for the anniversary. He SHOULD stop claiming shit with absolute certainty & not having proof because, when it's disproven, he looks stupid. I remember someone bringing up his claims about Super coming back, which a lot of people have been talking about too, & him saying stuff about how, when it's announced, they'll be sorry for doubting him. THAT'S a kind of arrogance you shouldn't have. My point was that he was clearly thinking these things based on certain things he was told combined with things that actually happened. I'm not surprised he did. His arrogance is really bad about it, since it makes him look two-faced or otherwise stupid, so I'm not defending that.

When it comes to remastering the movies, I wouldn't say it's necessarily easier, but it IS relatively cost effective & quicker to do provided the film stock is kept in relatively good shape. Though that depends on how the company stores the film stocks. Like, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan required an extensive remaster due to the film elements not being in the best shape, but TOS & TNG were pretty well kept in storage, the only problems being that some shots in a few episodes weren't able to be located, so they had to color-correct & upscale the SD footage from the DVDs, which they did pretty well on the few occasions they had to.

The specials are always marketed as "movies" in the US &, I'm pretty sure, require a separate license from the people who license the material, as all TV specials do. So, it would behoove them to remaster the TV specials since they're one-offs that are incredibly popular with the fanbase due to being more tonally dark & effectively written & animated than most of the shows & other movies. I'm not surprised they did those at the same time as the movies. If the rights holders in other countries wanna do new BRs & DVDs in the next several years with their new masters, they're gonna make some money bundling the specials in with them in the process. It's Toei being Toei, nothing else. Out of the 2, the Trunks special is the only one that's still the official canon version of that story, since Toriyama retconned Bardock's origins in Minus & Super: Broly, so that's another reason I can think of.

Well, we know FUNi has up to Trunks' first episodes remastered from the process they started for the levels due to the preview clips seen in the special feature from them. And, if what was said in that other thread is true, they have way more pretty much completed. If we take into account the raw film scans FUNi showed off for their comparison from the blogpost earlier this year, this isn't hard to believe, but they didn't show anything passed the end of the Cell Saga. Considering the Buu Saga has always had the least problems with surviving their remastering process, that shouldn't take a lot of time or effort to look its best. As well as them correcting the crushed blacks problem they had where black objects int he foreground were indistinguishable from black backgrounds & they'd be perfect. Minor grain reduction would also be ok, as long as it's actually supervised by humans & not just left up to the AI. As anyone who's posted to YouTube knows, AI is wrong a lot of the time. With Ajay saying their film has pretty good color accuracy, they'd be set. It just needs to be quality checked by humans who know how to remaster film as opposed to arrogant idiots who definitely don't.
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm If you have a good point to voice, then it's never too late, I say.

That's totally fair, and I accept and admit I went too far. I have some lingering frustrations with the way Geekdom has conducted himself in his videos, but really, his remarks on the Season BDs are pretty fair. The general principle he goes with that people should support the official release, and the Season BDs are probably about the least-awful way to do that... Yeah, it's a fair thing for him to be saying, and I should be kinder about that.
Thanks. If nothing else, I just wanted to point out the unfairness in accusing him of doing certain things to certain intensities at certain times when he didn't.
I can certainly understand frustrations with him. I have certain small frustrations with him too, but over things that he has said or done versus things he hasn't.
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm
Yeah, I get that. He REALLY needs to calm it down with treating vague rumors as facts with no proof. I think he thinks he's gonna be vindicated on those specific cases; the remasters & Super coming back to TV. Twice now he's been proven wrong, so that SHOULD signal to him that he should cool it with that tendency. Especially if he wants to keep his credibility. He really SHOULD have the caveat of, "these are just rumors I've heard from certain people on the inside, so take it with a grain of salt, since things can change." Then have the balls to admit that his sources were either misinformed or otherwise wrong when he's proven wrong. I mean, this is the dude who calls out other people based on misinformation with DB.

That was exactly how I saw it. He pieced together a conclusion based on different scattered pieces of information & jumped to that conclusion. As Ajay put it, the logic concludes that he wasn't wrong in thinking what he did, but, obviously, he should've held skepticism since it's Toei & FUNi, who, like Sony, treat their customers as a means to an end to make money while not giving much back in return. That last half is my words, but are entirely applicable.
Yeah, S-VHSes is a bad thing to call them. They're 3rd gen duplicated 16mm film prints. They showed them off in a few special features on the various BRs. It's accurate to say they wouldn't be as great as Toei's original film masters, but it's very inaccurate to say it's VHS quality. VHS masters couldn't give us the clarity we've seen these produce in the past. I've heard a few other people say this & I just facepalm at how some people don't actually know things, yet hold themselves up as a high source of knowledge.

I don't think most people actually assume he's a journalist. Like, he's never claimed to be one & he has no ties to any journalism thing. He just does videos on YouTube. I think that's overestimating how many people think that. I don't go to a reviewer or media channel expecting a journalist. I get the hate of him saying he knows more than he actually does, though. He makes too many definitive statements about thinks hoping he's right, then is apparently surprised when his claims aren't proven true.

To be fair, we were all hoping the Selecta Vision BRs of DB were gonna be good, especially when info apparently came out that they were directly working with Toei on them & seemingly licensed Toei's official film masters. Them not being FUNi was also a point in their favor, but then it was just upscales of the DBox masters put on BRs. Though, he should've not assumed anything & just waited it out, since we literally had no info on how they were gonna do them until they came out.
Yeah, doubling down when you're proven wrong never really works out for many people. He should really learn to quit while he's ahead & not look more stupid than he sometimes does.

I mostly felt most of his DB videos are wholly unnecessary if you just watch the shows or movies. But I can understand if not everyone has time to do so, but they typically aren't made up of more info than what you can gleam from watching the shows. In terms of his research, though he doesn't often cite his sources, I don't think anyone would assume he just learned what he says in his videos out of nowhere. Most people don't cite their sources on YouTube, so it's not just him who's guilty of that. People don't just assume that someone on YouTube just know something out of nowhere, since there's wikis, news articles, & a good amount of sources people can learn stuff from in regards to DB. Saying he has, "info no one else knows" is fucking stupid as well, since, if you found it out, clearly someone must've told you or you read an article someone wrote for the purposes of telling other people. The thought should've been info not a lot of people know instead.
Even then, sometimes he clearly doesn't do research, an example being when he & Super Jayain talked about the releases of Z, he clearly hasn't ever actually looked too deeply into the home releases of Kai because he says the DVDs for the series have it in 16:9 while the BRs are in 4:3. That's a distinction only for the Japanese DVDs & BRs. The US releases are all in 4:3 for the first 98 episodes regardless of format. I don't believe he's ever corrected that statement. He also kind of has a problem understanding something someone says to him. Like, I brought up in the comments of a video I think he did on Broly or the English dubs that the English dub for the first Broly movie is one of the better of the original 13 Z movies, if not of the time, but then he said he thought the best dub was Res F, showing he completely missed the point of what I said, so I made sure he knew what I actually said/meant, then he didn't reply again.

His conduct IS very poor, yes, I can agree. Having as big of an ego as he appears to have is bad for anyone in his position. Thinking the cel scans are actually what Toei could feasibly do with their film stock is utterly ludicrous. I mean, Ajay, I think, said that the only way to actually do grainless OG DBZ would be if Toei rescanned in the original cels into a computer, which isn't liable to happen because they don't have the cels anymore. Even then, I wouldn't want the show to look like the Cel pics Toei puts on Twitter. They don't quite look right compared to the final product, but maybe that's them just being cel scans versus the show being in motion. But, he really should get help or better check his scripts for what he's talking about.
I watched one of his videos from a few years ago & he was talking about the history of the 90s DBZ dubs. When he got to the section of the original Japanese VAs, I kinda lost some respect for him. He said shit about blocking people if they say they don't like one of the Japanese VAs & said that they should respect them. The thing is, respecting someone & liking them in an acting role are 2 different things. I respect Masako Nozawa for being the original VA of Goku, but I constantly have problems listening to her when I watch clips or episodes in sub form of DB, especially when she also plays every male member of Goku's family & her differences in performance are subtle things with the scripts & acting you'd only notice either on a rewatch or if you actually speak Japanese. If she didn't play them all, I'd have less problems with her in the sub. Would he then block me on Twitter or wherever if I said that to him? Or did he mean if someone really talked shit about them? I understand blocking unreasonable asshole, but what are the rules here?
KBABZ wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:21 pm
You forgot the glasses on the Frieza as well.

Yeah, CanadianGuyEh is a good dude. Makes clear distinctions on things & doesn't try to appear "cool" by people. I personally like to watch thegamersjoint, since he's one of only a few Kingdom Hearts YouTubers I can actually watch since nothing about him annoys me in some way. He's the same when it comes to being a pretty good dude when it comes to news, speculation, & other things as CanadianGuy & I appreciate him.
Yeah, it's clear that he just didn't get it.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 pm

I will just say that Geekdom once misreported about Hiromi Tsuru's death a couple years ago on Twitter and I called him out because his comment on the cause of her death was not accurate when there were already articles about the diagnosis. He went berserk on me about it with the curse words. Since then, I completely lost respect for him. Honestly, all the info we need in everything related to Dragon Ball is right here on Kanzenshuu. Kanzenshuu has always been newsworthy.

Anyway, I still stand on my decision not to buy the 30th anniversary release, even with the comparisons. Despite the video quality and aspect ratio being an improvement, I still think it's a bad release. It's better for me to stick to Dragon Box. It's a really shame that they cancelled the Level Sets. The video looked so gorgeous, even if there are some black crushes. The only thing I will say is that 30th anniversary release will have a high value after a few years. It will sure to be $1,000 on eBay.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm

Only thing that sucks about this release having high resale value is that you're not actually getting anything worth the high price. Like, the Dragon Boxes have retained their value by virtue of being a competent release of the series in remastered form, not just the scarcity of them.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm Only thing that sucks about this release having high resale value is that you're not actually getting anything worth the high price. Like, the Dragon Boxes have retained their value by virtue of being a competent release of the series in remastered form, not just the scarcity of them.
Which is why I really wonder if the 30th will actually keep it's high price on the secondary market. I guess it'll really depend on what releases, if any, come after.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 pm Hiromi Tsuru's death
Speaking of which, when are we getting the Hiromo Tsuru retrospective podcast episode? I hate to compare here but there was one done for when Mr. Satan's voice actor passed away!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 am

Anyone else noticing some weird discoloration with this set?

Color Corrected Kai for comparison.

Either Toei fixed this issue, or it was never present and this just another Funimation screw up.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:15 am

DHM211 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 am Anyone else noticing some weird discoloration with this set?
Color Corrected Kai for comparison.
Either Toei fixed this issue, or it was never present and this just another Funimation screw up.
Those were probably dust effect, I've seen similar when Gohan was fighting Buu inside a cave

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am

DHM211 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 am Color Corrected Kai for comparison.
I don't know where that color correction came from, or if you made it, but it just looks like the entire green channel was reduced, so it's still pale and now the whites are magenta.

Here's a more proper color rebalancing for the shot:

That aside, what are you referring to? Is that screenshot actually how it appears, with two different color tints on two halves of the image, or is one the unaltered one and the other your attempt at correcting it? If so, which is the original?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 pm In terms of his research, though he doesn't often cite his sources, I don't think anyone would assume he just learned what he says in his videos out of nowhere. Most people don't cite their sources on YouTube, so it's not just him who's guilty of that. People don't just assume that someone on YouTube just know something out of nowhere, since there's wikis, news articles, & a good amount of sources people can learn stuff from in regards to DB. Saying he has, "info no one else knows" is fucking stupid as well, since, if you found it out, clearly someone must've told you or you read an article someone wrote for the purposes of telling other people. The thought should've been info not a lot of people know instead.
I want to highlight this in particular and say -- Yes, a lot of people on YouTube are also guilty of a lack of citation... That doesn't get Geekdom off the hook, that just means he's got a lot of company.

You raise good points in the rest of your post, but I don't really have anything to say on the rest. I think if I did, I'd probably just be repeating myself. And plus, I think this avenue of discussion has reached its end, so I'd rather not drag this out any further.
Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am That aside, what are you referring to? Is that screenshot actually how it appears, with two different color tints on two halves of the image, or is one the unaltered one and the other your attempt at correcting it? If so, which is the original?
I believe that screenshot is actually how it appears, with different colour tints on two halves of the image. Which... I dunno how that may have happened. Clearly Funi didn't put much effort into quality control on this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am
Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am That aside, what are you referring to? Is that screenshot actually how it appears, with two different color tints on two halves of the image, or is one the unaltered one and the other your attempt at correcting it? If so, which is the original?
I believe that screenshot is actually how it appears, with different colour tints on two halves of the image. Which... I dunno how that may have happened. Clearly Funi didn't put much effort into quality control on this.
If that's the case, then FUNimation has lost any remaining credibility they have for releasing this franchise. That is absurd.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:35 pm

it's insanely embarrassing, this whole release has been such a mess, it's like baffling, lmao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸