"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:56 am

https://dragonball.news/news/n191206000.html

"JUMP FESTA 2020: It will be remembered that there will be 2 special stage events entirely dedicated to the Animated Dragon Ball Super (TV / Film Series). Masako Nozawa (Goku) and Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta) will be present ... "
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:59 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 pm Unrelated question: How hard on the throat is being a VA for Dragon Ball?
I don't know for sure but I'd imagine very. Especially in Z where there'd be minutes straight of just screaming. I remember hearing a story a long time ago about Sean Schemmel passing out in the booth during a particularly strenuous screaming session.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 am

In before a new TV series is announced for April.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am

I wonder, would they do a simuldub for Toonami that airs within the day to a few weeks of the Japanese broadcast? The first 131 episodes are finally finished airing, so it seems possible.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 am

This is pretty big news. Dragon Ball Super, specifically the anime, will be present with two special stages at Jump Festa.
This news is also reported on Toei Animation’s website: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/ ... 20601.html and it mentions they will be live-dubbing some “non-animated scene of the Dragon Ball Super comic”, so very likely from the on-going Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc - which is confirmation that the arc will be indeed getting an animated adaptation in the future, especially considering this news comes directly from Toei Animation.

This is all connecting to Ryo Horikawa’s tweets, as he’s a guest himself at the stage happening on the 22nd of December. I would guess the secret meeting he had with Toei was about his presence at Jump Festa.
Recently (a few months ago) it was also announced that Kitaro, the anime which took Super’s 9AM Fuji TV time slot after it ended, was entering its final arc. No word was given on how long this last arc is going to be, but it will most likely be over by April or July at best, and no other anime has been announced to take its place. Considering how that’s the slot Dragon Ball has had since Buu Kai started airing, and how strategic it is as One Piece is airing after it, there’s the possibility that a Dragon Ball anime will once again air there once Kitaro is over.

I think it’s also worth saying how very recently, with the release of Volume 11 of the manga, Toyotaro mentioned his talks with editor Victory Uchida (who is directly mentioned as the guest of the Jump Festa DBS stage) for their ultimate decision of including both the DBZ and the DB Online version of the Yardratians. It may be a stretch on my part, but that may have been a conscious decision to have coherence between the manga and anime, so that once that part is animated the DBZ fans watching Super won’t feel confused.

Again, Naohiro Shintani - the character designer of Dragon Ball Super: Broly - hasn’t worked on any other anime since he was aired as DBS’ CD.

There’s also a “new product” which may be the upcoming movie they teased in the Broly’s Blu-Ray interview.

I have high expectations this time around, as the evidence publicly comes from official sources. If nothing happens, surely I will be disappointed but life goes on and I won’t be seen here raging and pointing fingers towards content creators who are hyping this same event up. So please, if you aren’t prepared to be disappointed then do not get hyped about this.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:58 am

Maybe a new movie?
They can still do the combo movie + new series. The movie in april + new series on july (or something like that)

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am

Wait! Wait! Did I miss anything? I thought all stages where revealed already? And that DBS would be definitely nowhere to be seen at Jump Festa when it was revealed that Jujutsu Kaisen was the anime featured in the secret panel ?

They can still announce panels out of nowhere this late?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am Wait! Wait! Did I miss anything? I thought all stages where revealed already? And that DBS would be definitely nowhere to be seen at Jump Festa when it was revealed that Jujutsu Kaisen was the anime featured in the secret panel ?

They can still announce panels out of nowhere this late?
Yes, they can. In fact it was stupid to rule out the possibility of any announcement happening in December just because Dragon Ball had no Jump Festa panel yet, especially considering how it’s the last step of the World Adventure Tour they started in July.

Not only does Dragon Ball have panels, it has them on both the Jump Festa days and for a total of 11 hours and 40 minutes. It’s possibly the franchise with the biggest presence there.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am I wonder, would they do a simuldub for Toonami that airs within the day to a few weeks of the Japanese broadcast? The first 131 episodes are finally finished airing, so it seems possible.
One thing's for sure - Funimation will want to Simuldub it, and Adult Swim will desperate for it to happen.

If this is a movie, I do believe a TV series is only a matter of time.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am I wonder, would they do a simuldub for Toonami that airs within the day to a few weeks of the Japanese broadcast? The first 131 episodes are finally finished airing, so it seems possible.
One thing's for sure - Funimation will want to Simuldub it, and Adult Swim will desperate for it to happen.

I mean, they'll certainly want to simuldub it. I have severe doubts they'll be able to, though.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:32 am

If they simuldub it, you can bet it will be more probe to errors throughout like their Kai dub which was rushed to meet the TV deadlines (Namekians having brothers and sisters).

Then again, with how ridiculously loose they were with Super's dub to begin with, I guess it's not like it would be noticeable either way.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:35 am

I want a new post end of z series

Dragon ball Ultra or whatever
Pan as main character with Uub as her rival / friend / love interest?
And bra rounding out the trio

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:08 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 pm

I mean, they'll certainly want to simuldub it. I have severe doubts they'll be able to, though.
Black Clover is entering its third consecutive year on Simuldub, and they have shown they can do it. I don't see LA based actors being an issue, as Todd Haberkorn didn't have a problem with Fairy Tail's final season.
The expectation is certainly there, I've mentioned it to Rawly Pickens, and he certainly didn't give the impression he thinks it's unlikely.

I've spoken with a couple of actors who work on the show, and the reason they didn't Simuldub the first series was because Toei took forever to reach an agreement on licensing.

Toei are the biggest hurdle here.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:47 am

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

In fact it was stupid to rule out the possibility of any announcement happening in December just because Dragon Ball had no Jump Festa panel yet

There really was nothing indicating there would be something about DBS untill just now. There was a full agenda with panels revealed and the final, mystery panel didn't even appear to be DBS.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Part of me hopes they'll announce both a TV series and a movie, but that's just's EXTREMELY wishful thinking.

And, yeah, put me in the group that wouldn't be surprise that if a TV series is announced that it will be a simuldub.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:47 pm

I'd rather want a new movie than tv series. I just don't trust Toei anymore if it comes to weekly anime. I know about productions problems with Super 1.0, etc. but still. Sure, last episodes were pretty but anime as a whole... not much.
If it is weekly anime series, then I hope there won't be billions of screenwriters doing whatever they want. Inconsistencies between Super episodes were hard to bear, at least for me.
Oh, and if animated Super comes at all, in whatever form, I'm hoping for Moro's Arc and then jump straight to EoZ territory. EoZ territory is the only thing for me that would make me care about future of the characters (right now everyone knows that whatever happens, everything will be okay 'cos our heroes are alive at the end of manga/Z).
Greetings. :wave:
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Announce a movie and an anime at the same time may be hype thing in the beginning, but the anime quality will suffer if they don't plan things well. I'm not really interested in having another quality disaster that were most Super arcs.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:43 pm

Does this really mean the anime will return? I find it hard to believe.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:25 pm Announce a movie and an anime at the same time may be hype thing in the beginning, but the anime quality will suffer if they don't plan things well. I'm not really interested in having another quality disaster that were most Super arcs.
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:43 pm Does this really mean the anime will return? I find it hard to believe.
Whether this is Really going to Finally happen or not in 2020, I certainly hope that Toei will be only focusing on a New Anime before any other movies.

Mostly cause of what FortuneSSJ said about Quality, but not just in Animation style but also and many even more so in Story and Writing.

I felt that the ToP suffered more from lack of focus and cohesive storytelling that I rather not go threw again, but the Super Broly Movie Made this up in leagues with Good Story Telling, World Building and Good Character Development espically small moments.

This is where I am hoping if we get any news on a New Anime and Hopefully just a new anime that the writing staff and some plans of theirs will be revealed as well, that is likely what will make or break any new series the most.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm

As far as I can tell ToP have great storytelling.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.