"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm As far as I can tell ToP have great storytelling.
It had is moments for me, but glad others liked it. :)

What is important in any announcement is the News on the writing, how long they been working on it and where they might be going with it. :think:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:14 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:43 pm Does this really mean the anime will return? I find it hard to believe.
All of the Dragon Ball YouTubers are jumping on this bandwagon with clickbait thumbnails declaring Super's return to be "confirmed" or "leaked".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:32 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:14 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:43 pm Does this really mean the anime will return? I find it hard to believe.
All of the Dragon Ball YouTubers are jumping on this bandwagon with clickbait thumbnails declaring Super's return to be "confirmed" or "leaked".
Yeaaaa, it feels like we have been here before, a Déjà vu from early this year when we where getting some news like this before and nothing happen

I Rather not get ahead of the idea the show or movie or anything Super is coming back yet.

I am sure that some Internet Tubers are trying their best to make sure this is authentic, but until the event happens or an official announcement happens it is still more wait and see as it should be.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm sure they are.
CJStriker_CBR wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:32 pm
Yeaaaa, it feels like we have been here before, a Déjà vu from early this year when we where getting some news like this before and nothing happen

I Rather not get ahead of the idea the show or movie or anything Super is coming back yet.

I am sure that some Internet Tubers are trying their best to make sure this is authentic, but until the event happens or an official announcement happens it is still more wait and see as it should be.
I'm getting the feeling of Déjà vu too.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:39 am

I honestly prefer that the moro arc ... be something unique to manga ... mainly because both continuities are very different in logic ... anime has a lot of development that I like and would be lost in the moro arc ... it would have to be very different

there should never have been a "super manga" ....
Moreover would say that 2 versions seem too much to me ...
super must have been just anime or movies
gt only has one version ... without manga or another version and its fandom although toxic among fans do not have so many differences of opinion ...

but anyway since it is what we have ...
I prefer that the anime continue the idea of the exploration of universes against some enemy that makes some warriors the tournament of power, return to help goku in the battles ...

that the manga continue with other stories ... with any theme that is of my interest or not ... but at least it would become more independent

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:01 am

I bet the Moro arc will be adapted which is probably why it has been going on longer than the other manga arcs did. Toei probably wants stuff for them to adapt when they are ready to bring back Super.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:42 am

As I've mentioned before, it's almost unimaginable to me that, should the anime return, they'd not adapt the Moro arc. I just can't see how they'd let the manga be it's own separate thing. What I CAN see, however, is the anime's version being very different from Toyo's.
Since there was a discussion in the manga thread about how much Toriyama did for this arc I can completely imagine how Toriyama would've come up with a general idea of the Moro and Meerus and the Toyotaro and the anime team respectively started from from that.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:39 am

It is 100% sure that the Moro arc will be different between the manga and the anime if they do.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 am

head_cha_la wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:39 am It is 100% sure that the Moro arc will be different between the manga and the anime if they do.

There is substantial chance they won't literary adapt the manga Moro arc, in every detail, in case a new anime would air. TOEI probably wants to keep a number of brand new surprises in check for the audience.

If there is one consistent writer who oversees the arc being adapted (and works together with Toriyama like Toyo for the manga), this does not necessarily have to be a problem. TOEI's strongest asset however is the animation, so i wouldn't object it would be a rather 'faithful' adaptation of the manga, as this beholds the writing remains consistent.

Skipping the huge Moro arc altogether does not make much sense, unless they choose to go a radical different direction (different story) with the anime.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:20 am

I haven't read anything from the Moro arc because it sounds like it'd be fantastic to watch animated.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am

Will the anime continue to put its spin on whatever the arc they're adapting (SSBK, SSBE, GoD Toppo, ETC) or will it just follow the manga's continuity?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am Will the anime continue to put its spin on whatever the arc they're adapting (SSBK, SSBE, GoD Toppo, ETC) or will it just follow the manga's continuity?
I think it depends on what Toriyama tells Toei to do. If he tells them something like "stick a bit closer to the manga from now on", the anime-only forms and characters may never appear again, but they'll definitely keep using them if he isn't against it.
Assuming the anime is coming back, that is.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm getting plenty sick of seeing this crap recommended to me constantly. I believe that I've actually seen that thumbnail in another recommended video as well, so nice effort people! :roll:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:42 am As I've mentioned before, it's almost unimaginable to me that, should the anime return, they'd not adapt the Moro arc. I just can't see how they'd let the manga be it's own separate thing. What I CAN see, however, is the anime's version being very different from Toyo's.
Since there was a discussion in the manga thread about how much Toriyama did for this arc I can completely imagine how Toriyama would've come up with a general idea of the Moro and Meerus and the Toyotaro and the anime team respectively started from from that.
I don't see why ... it seems more pointless to tell the same story 2 or 3 times ... there is no surprise for the viewer
in the super anime it makes sense ... since it was the author's idea to adapt the story to a series with parts that could not watching be ... besides there were no more movies ... so only the series would continue the story

anyway in the tournament, the author made the script but most character design and transformations were created by toei ...
I find it very unlikely ... that toei just follow the manga ... this has passed a long time ago ... currently they have more control over the stories with toriyama participating in it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:38 pm Image

I'm getting plenty sick of seeing this crap recommended to me constantly. I believe that I've actually seen that thumbnail in another recommended video as well, so nice effort people! :roll:

For all clearance, there is nothing confirmed yet concerning return of a full time anime, we'll just have to wait till Jump Festa to know for sure what will be announced or discussed. These titles are just used for clickbait to make it seem more spectacular, it's no official information yet.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:10 pm

If Super 2.0 gets announced in Jump Festa and airs in April (I am only speculating so don't go crazy), the pre-planning would be enough for them to be at least a year behind the Moro arc's first chapter if they wanted to adapt the manga chapter to chapter.

They would just need to plan each and every episode accordingly with how they adapt, using appropriate filler when needed so they don't catch up too quick. If or whenever they do catch up and be ahead of Toyotaro again, Toriyama could always just make new outlines, and we would be back to normal just like with Super 1.0

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:17 am

I honestly hope they wouldn't copy it chapter for chapter. If Super does return I do hope they start with the moro arc, but hope they do it differently then toyotoro.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:25 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:50 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:42 am As I've mentioned before, it's almost unimaginable to me that, should the anime return, they'd not adapt the Moro arc. I just can't see how they'd let the manga be it's own separate thing. What I CAN see, however, is the anime's version being very different from Toyo's.

I don't see why
... it seems more pointless to tell the same story 2 or 3 times ... there is no surprise for the viewer
in the super anime it makes sense ... since it was the author's idea to adapt the story to a series with parts that could not watching be ... besides there were no more movies ... so only the series would continue the story

anyway in the tournament, the author made the script but most character design and transformations were created by toei ...
I find it very unlikely ... that toei just follow the manga ... this has passed a long time ago ... currently they have more control over the stories with toriyama participating in it.
Well that's what happened to the TOP. Certain key elements stayed the same, but over all, the version of the anime feels very different from the manga. Manga and anime are in the end different mediums; not does a single episode cover a lot more ground than a chapter does, in DBS' case, it also airs weekly instead whereas the manga gets published monthly. Not to mention that it's very possible that the writers of the anime might very well want to put their own spin on what Toriyama laid down for the arc.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:56 am

I believe that if Super comes back in April - and it may very well do, considering Kitaro is conveniently ending in March with no other show announced to take its spot - it will start with a closer adaptation of the Galactic Prisoner arc.

And the reason for this long wait would have been because of Toriyama still not having come up with a story immediately after Broly, and he may have decided not to have Toei do their own arc or their take on Toyotaro’s arc because he either doesn’t trust them enough, as maybe the GP arc’s story wasn’t finalized yet, or preferred to just check the boards of Toyotaro every month and then be more hands off once Toei adapts the manga.

But probably after this arc is over we will go back to Toriyama outlines and to Toei and Toyotaro having their different takes on them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:37 am

Wait, Kitaro is ending in March? I didn't know that.